Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#413072 Jan 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries Mike. The Holy Spirit will see the Church through any difficult time this world can throw at them. Today, there is a Priest shortage due to lack of interest. 200 yrs ago in Europe, there was a Priest shortage due to England rounding them up and killing em.
Guess what, it didn't work. We're still here. Christ promised to be with His Church til the end and He wasn't joking. The seminary in the twin cities was full again this year...amazing.
You are saying the church is too big to fail?

Millions said that about many american steel/textile companies just a few years ago?

......and what exactly is it the holy spirit does? Changes peoples minds?(lol)!

If you believe the holy spirit is just one of three components of God, why don't you just say God instead of the holy spirit?

.....now remember don't blame me if the church one day does go south. I know you would love to put all the blame and burden on me.

Catholics are angry at their church leaders, priests are angry with their church leaders..........its not my fault.(lol)

preston

Waverly, OH

#413073 Jan 3, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
No telling LIES Preston!
i WOULDNT haVE CALLED HIM A PERVERT IF IT WASNT TRUE.

before John died, mr 4bdn said afew words to John that are classified as a homosexual invitation.

only a couple people rebuked him for this sordid behavior,you are NOT included in this number, nor was LTM.

NOW TO A HETHEN LIKE YOU, THIS MIGHT BE ACCEPTABLE LANGUAGE, TO A CHRISTIAN ,IT IS NOT!!!!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#413074 Jan 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries Mike. The Holy Spirit will see the Church through any difficult time this world can throw at them. Today, there is a Priest shortage due to lack of interest. 200 yrs ago in Europe, there was a Priest shortage due to England rounding them up and killing em.
Guess what, it didn't work. We're still here. Christ promised to be with His Church til the end and He wasn't joking. The seminary in the twin cities was full again this year...amazing.
CLAY says..........

.... Today, there is a Priest shortage due to lack of interest.

MICHAEL says........thats a BIGGIE!....lack of interest!!

Lack of interest seems to be growing.

There might be 1.168 Billion baptized catholics but when far less than half even care anymore, something is WRONG BIG TIME!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#413075 Jan 3, 2013
preston wrote:
<quoted text>DEFENDING MYSELF FROM THE LIKES OF YOU IS NOT BULLYING.
YOU INLCUDED MY NAME TO REGGIE JUST FOR ONE REASON AND THAT WAS TO GET A RESPONSE FROM ME.
so dont play games with reggie and I , both of us are to smart for It.
AND fyi, ROLLING AROUND ON THE FLOOR LIKE A VOODOO PARTICIPANT DOESNT ASSURE YOU OF HEAVEN EITHER.
PRESTON, do you have any friends, on here? Doesn't seem like it. To you everyone is either a LIAR or a HIPOCRITE.

Its a good thing your OK, we wouldn't want anyone to think you could do anything wrong.
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#413076 Jan 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer your question: It matters nothing.
If ten thousand Priest form a union and split, it means nada. They are free to leave anytime. The Church will still be there tomorrow. They do not form their doctrine based on popular opinion or cultural influence.
You must have mistaken the CC for Protestantism.
In Ireland 200 yrs ago Priests were scarce. The Protestants rounded them all up and killed em. Yet, Mass was still celebrated. The Holy Spirit still found away to get the Irish the Holy Eucharist.
You're in a losing battle trying to take down the Catholic Church Mike.
He is trying to save the RCC.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#413077 Jan 3, 2013
Like clock work every christmas. All the catholics on here wishing everyone a merry christmas and peace on earth crap, and then a very few days later after the tree is down and the nativity scene boxed away again, out come the back stabbing hateful comments by the catholics towards the protestants.

Nothing has changed!.........until 3 days before christmas 2013 and the nice talking catholics will once again be joyful.

HOLY CRAP!
preston

Waverly, OH

#413078 Jan 3, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Tony are having a tough time answering my uestion
Again my question was is there a chance that a child attending a catholic festivals who sees adults drinking become an under age drinker themselves?
Yes or No will do...
how could any person answer that question, chuck?

I myself had a father who loved his beer, enough in fact, that Preaching was not as important to him as a Black label,

yet I have never drank a bottle of beer, and my brother, very seldom even as a adult.

and while in pain for his cancer, he wanted a beer and my mom would cry but would have someone buy it for him, But she never asked me to get one for him, since I had only been Born Again for around a year.

thanks be to God, he got out of his death bed and asked for Mercy from the God that he shunned for many years, and that was how my mom found him in the early morning.

His son never drank nor did his dad.

why did he?
preston

Waverly, OH

#413079 Jan 3, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Fr. Dye seems to be doing just fine as he takes his disease seriously. He doesn't use it to attack others, he takes responsibility for his actions.
I agree, and usually, I dont admit to making posts that shouldnt have been made but my first post to him,

STUPID COME OUT OF MY MOUTH
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#413080 Jan 3, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
For some people there is a biological pre-disposition. However, my use of the term for the purposes of this board takes into consideration all the reasons one might abuse alcohol. Abuse of any substance indicates an emotional problem, at the very least. Emotional problems can be classified as a disease.
I agree the term is overused and negates personal responsibility.
What you call diseases the bible calls sin Regina.
It is a choice one makes to put that substance into their body,
a disease is something that invades the body.
preston

Waverly, OH

#413081 Jan 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
She is only telling him there is no hope for him... because she knows that in her own religion there is no not hope..promised. only a dead end street.
playing a game game but no goal in mind.
Those that are hopeless can give no hope to others...
Sadly, reggie is GIVING you a logical and scientific response and answer to a illogical creature such as yourself.

so lets look at a verse in the Bible to help you understand(maybe)
LTM

#413082 Jan 3, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that it's now okay for him to drink? God is more realistic than that. He provides the means...the people, the wisdom, the grace...to help alcoholics deal with their disease. But they still have the disease. Do not tempt the Lord.
Stop trying to put words in my mouth, I don't think its alright for anyone to drink booze Regina,
So what your saying when God deliver's a person he really isn't delivered.. where is your faith in Gods ablity to do all things.
Jesus took all sin to the cross 2000 years ago so in fact Chuck was delivered 2000 years ago, chuck had to make the choice to let go of the sin and do it no more.
To drink strong drink is a sin not a disease Regina, like murder, and lust, and adultery.
preston

Waverly, OH

#413083 Jan 3, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>100% truth.I for one believe that as a believer alcoholic beverages have no place in my home,and never did,both my son and daughter to this day do not dring,and they are in their thirties,happy,have careers,not married yet? Praying on that end if it is the Lord's will soon in their lives.
We as believers have to set the standard,even if the world does not.
sometime, and I hope it never happens to you, but dad was in lots of pain from a tumor fastened onto his heart, and my mon did, in his last day, allow him to drink in our home.

the pain of the cancer along with withdrawal symptoms was more than she could bear. and dad laid there and hardly ever complained, I know that I couldnt bear that pain as he did.

sometimes a person has to do what is right, not what is correct.
LTM

#413084 Jan 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it a good money maker, we've got a lot of people to help. FYI, minors aren't allowed to drink beer at any of our festivals.
Chuck, Jesus approved of drinking alcohol in moderation, why do you have a problem with it?
Jesus never approved of drink alcoholic beverages of any kind.
That is a lie, go read the Bible you claim your church gave the world, you might learn something of what Jesus really did say or is that what you are afraid of?? You are afraid to find out your church is really what is written in Rev 17:5.
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

#413085 Jan 3, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
He is trying to save the RCC.
Michael is? Why on Earth would an Atheist try and save the RCC?
Get real.
He hates them just like you and everybody else....Their teachings conflict with your lifestyles, you wanna make em go away.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#413086 Jan 3, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
"Leave it all at the cross Regina. When we try to do things on our own we'll fail everytime."
I couldn't agree with you more, Charles. That's very Catholic of you!
However, if you drink again, you'll be in trouble. You know it and I know it. Christ did not remove that from you. What He does do, if you let Him, is help you to not take another drink. To live with this particular cross in a way that is beneficial to you and not bring you harm, i.e. not drink. Therein lies the difference. I wish you well, Charles.
Your above post is a real revelation of just how powerful you believe God really is...

The Bible says...

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

You evidently do not believe that The blood of Jesus can cleanse us from the unrighteousness of alcoholism.

If you have no faith in the Blood of Jesus, to do what the Bible says it will do, when applied.

WHY DO YOU BOTHER GOING THROUGH YOUR RITUALS anyway?

or are we to understand that the whole religious system is only a ritual?

So far I have concluded from my being on this forum...

that you do not have any secure promise of eternal life in following your calisthenics.. Now I find that you don't HAVE ANY HOPE IN DELIVERANCE..

Question

JUST WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

JUST WHAT KIND OF GOD DO YOU BELIEVE THAT oUR HEAVENLY FATHER IS?

IF HE CAN'T KEEP HIS WORD WHY DO YOU CALL HIM GOD?
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

#413087 Jan 3, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying the church is too big to fail?
Millions said that about many american steel/textile companies just a few years ago?
......and what exactly is it the holy spirit does? Changes peoples minds?(lol)!
If you believe the holy spirit is just one of three components of God, why don't you just say God instead of the holy spirit?
.....now remember don't blame me if the church one day does go south. I know you would love to put all the blame and burden on me.
Catholics are angry at their church leaders, priests are angry with their church leaders..........its not my fault.(lol)
Replying to your top line first...I did not say the Church is too big to fail. That's absurd.

If they would have failed in the past, it would have been 2,000 yrs ago when they crucified its founder and killed all His Apostles (except John).
Then, they killed all the people they ordained - including Clement of Rome and Ignatius of Antioch.
THEN, they killed all the people THEY ordained.

In fact they martyrd nearly every single Pope until Constantine legalized Christianity.

Emperor Decius beheaded Pope Fabian in the middle 2nd century and declared "I would far rather hear of a rival to my thrown then another Bishop of Rome (Pope)."

The Catholic Churchs survival to this day is a miracle in itself Mike. It doesn't matter how many people are in it. As long as they heard the Gospel and made a conscience decision to walk away, its on them...not the Church.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#413088 Jan 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
Your above post is a real revelation of just how powerful you believe God really is...
The Bible says...
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
You evidently do not believe that The blood of Jesus can cleanse us from the unrighteousness of alcoholism.
If you have no faith in the Blood of Jesus, to do what the Bible says it will do, when applied.
WHY DO YOU BOTHER GOING THROUGH YOUR RITUALS anyway?
or are we to understand that the whole religious system is only a ritual?
So far I have concluded from my being on this forum...
that you do not have any secure promise of eternal life in following your calisthenics.. Now I find that you don't HAVE ANY HOPE IN DELIVERANCE..
Question
JUST WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?
JUST WHAT KIND OF GOD DO YOU BELIEVE THAT oUR HEAVENLY FATHER IS?
IF HE CAN'T KEEP HIS WORD WHY DO YOU CALL HIM GOD?
~~~

Could some Roman Catholic tell me ...

For what purpose ...(do you Roman Catholics believe.)..Did Jesus come to the earth?

for what purpose did He live and die and ascend...
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#413089 Jan 3, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Tonuy,I do love cheeseburgers,but limit them to one every couple of months if even that. And I never put any condiments on them either.
By the way I am reading the other article or site you offered me,much reading,so it will take a while to absorb most of it.Have a good day!
Thanks Dan, read the Summa Theologica, it's sublime.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#413090 Jan 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
CLAY says......

...No worries Mike. The Holy Spirit will see the Church through any difficult time this world can throw at them.

MICHAEL says......where was the holy spirit every time a child was buggered? Where was the holy spirit everytime a priest or bishop lied and covered up for crimes committed by other priests?

If catholics were not indoctrinated in huge numbers into the church from infancy, your church would have folded centuries ago. Nothing to do with holy spirit. You should owe all the thanks to catholic families who incorporated their children into the faith from infancy, however this last generation is seeing more indoctrinated catholics abandoning the church when becoming adults.

More catholics quit or die each year than catholics who actually join the church on their own. Do the math.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#413091 Jan 3, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again my question was is there a chance that a child attending a catholic festivals who sees adults drinking become an under age drinker themselves?
Yes or No will do...
last time I checked...alcohol has killed ALOT more teenagers than cheeseburgers wouldn't you say Tony.
Actually, my parents were immigrants from Eastern Europe and Greece. The culture is quite different and as such, we were raised to not see alcohol as evil, but just one of many things that when taken in excess can be dangerous.

Yes, there's a chance, but being raised in a good environment is much more important. The idea that we would condemn people, like so many of the fundamentalists, for drinking alcohol in moderation when Jesus approved if it is ridiculous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 4 min andet1987 5,788
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 12 min WasteWater 3,427
Josh Glidewell Lifetime Exteriorz roof. One sat... 18 min Joshy G 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min WasteWater 270,659
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 39 min His Eminency dr S... 40,142
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 50 min Neelakaran 6,291
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 50 min His Eminency dr S... 611,846
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr River Tam 828,423
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr duststorm 442,863
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr karvinman 176,528
More from around the web