Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,442
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#407594 Dec 7, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So to teach that marriage is o.k. for the priesthood for 1000 yrs. and then to reverse that teaching and say that marriage is NOT o.k. for the priesthood are BOTH(though diametrically opposite)BOTH CORRECT? O.K. And you wonder why we think you aare being a little less than honest? Absurd.
Nothing is being infallibly and unchangeably taught. It's a discipline, a small "t" tradition. Neither are wrong. It's not at all like women being priests. That has been "taught", it's been defined as something that cannot happen. If you can't accept that, well, I'm sorry.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#407595 Dec 7, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>If there is no RIGHT position, why did the RCC impose a restriction? And why do they impose on those who believe that they are called of God, when GOD HIMSELF did not make that restriction? Your catholic jig is quite amusing, but it is getting tiresome.
Ok. Sorry for trying. At least you feel comfortable and confident where you're at.
Clay

Minneapolis, MN

#407596 Dec 7, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I know alot about, what you call "faith". I also know alot about Catholicism.
To me, Catholicism isn't "faith" at all, it is a dictation from one man to another.
True "faith" lies within a person, without any input from another.
"To me, Catholicism isn't faith at all, it is dictation from one man to another"

Believe it or not, I can see how someone on the outside looking in, has that impression.
But you NASL, said you used to be in the Church, so I would expect a little more understanding of how we view things.
The main thing is that we believe Christ started an actual Church. A hierarchy; a magisterium. New Testament scripture Is a result of this magisterium's authority when they added 27 books to the Bible in the 4th century.
Given the fact that Christ is God made manifest...and He started a Church... This Church would have to be 100% right on teachings or not at all. Because Christ wasn't a little right here or somewhat right there.. No, he was/is 100% right.

And I can't find the Catholic Church in error on one single doctrine. Its only when folks take a deceptive stance towards the Church that they can 'show' error. ie citing bible verses out of context.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#407597 Dec 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think its a case of not taking the blame.
We're dealing with people hell bent on making Catholicism go away.
They are clearly sensationalizing this topic for personal gain. The statistics don't warrant such lopsided devotion to this topic. Obviously its other issues that fuel this devotion.
When Catholics stand up and present evidence that:
1. Its not a fraction of the scandal you make it out to be. Its no more an issue in the Church than any other group of people.
2. The Church has made more strides than any other group to rid this evil in their midst.(no bigot on here would dare acknowledge this)
3. The blame shift as you say is not denying sins of some members of our Church. Its merely pointing out that peoples biased agenda is not because they actually are concerned about victims. Its because they hate us for other reasons not related to the scandal.
A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
*More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.2
Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. 1
It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. 3
More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way. 4
Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse. 5
About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder. 5
The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion. 6
http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics...

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#407598 Dec 7, 2012
who="LTM"
Thank you I thought it was also, my Mom who was a nurse, use to wrap a raw onion up in an old sock and put it around our throat when we had the flu or a common cold.
Some of these old remedies really work . some people are allergies to sprays to freshen the house I use vinegar. Just place a bowl in a room and the odors are gone with in about half and hour

&&&&&& &&&&&& &&&

Mom baked her onions first...

KM
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#407599 Dec 7, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I have told you before, Michael----anti-catholic heretics, false teachers, over-zealous exaggerating (gossipers), angry preaching agnostics, and atheists (like you) and others like you, have come and gone for over 2000 years (Protestants for 450+years)---YET---Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church HAS, IS and will CONTINUE to "LIVE ON".
What did I post today that makes me a heretic?

Your just another broken record, of Lets blame everyone else but ourselves.

UNBELIEVABLE!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#407600 Dec 7, 2012
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
*More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.2
Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. 1
It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. 3
More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way. 4
Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse. 5
About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder. 5
The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion. 6
http://www.childhelp.org/pages/statistics...
......25 years ago who would have ever believed that your very own church leaders would be the worst offenders for Covering up these disgusting crimes?

......If so many catholic priests have been caught committing these crimes and you claim its a cycle, than I guess a lot of catholic families had abusers in them.

An organization that preaches they are the advocates of morality, haven't got a clue what it means to be moral themselves, when the very bishops lied, deceived and covered up these most terrible crimes from you and all other catholics. The same bishops informing all other priests to also keep quiet. You OK with that?

I guess you are!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#407601 Dec 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"To me, Catholicism isn't faith at all, it is dictation from one man to another"
Believe it or not, I can see how someone on the outside looking in, has that impression.
But you NASL, said you used to be in the Church, so I would expect a little more understanding of how we view things.
The main thing is that we believe Christ started an actual Church. A hierarchy; a magisterium. New Testament scripture Is a result of this magisterium's authority when they added 27 books to the Bible in the 4th century.
Given the fact that Christ is God made manifest...and He started a Church... This Church would have to be 100% right on teachings or not at all. Because Christ wasn't a little right here or somewhat right there.. No, he was/is 100% right.
And I can't find the Catholic Church in error on one single doctrine. Its only when folks take a deceptive stance towards the Church that they can 'show' error. ie citing bible verses out of context.
If you weren't born a catholic, you wouldn't be a catholic today.

Indoctrination, cradle catholics, whatever you want to call it! is the main reason people of faith are who they are.

There are exceptions such as HOJO who was dumped by the protestants and later stumbled into catholicism.

FACT: Most catholics, protestants, jews, etc. who leave the faith are those who were indoctrinated from childhood.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#407602 Dec 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay says........To me, Catholicism isn't faith at all, it is dictation from one man to another.

Michael says......its the same with any religious belief.

Born by chance a catholic, Jesus is your savior.

Born by chance a Jew, no son of God Jesus in your prayers.

Born by chance a Muslim, Allah is who you would worship, and Jesus is dropped down to being a prophet only.

Born a by chance a protestant, No virgin Mary, no purgatory, no canon laws or papal documents.

Everyone one of these groups above each claiming righteousness. Every group claiming "WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE NOT"

You can't understand why educated people today are bailing out of organized religion.

1 in 5 americans today claims no religion. Doubled in just 12 years.

Believe what you want, but there is no clear winner of the truth, if there was everyone would be that religion.

preston

Waverly, OH

#407603 Dec 7, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I post today that makes me a heretic?
Your just another broken record, of Lets blame everyone else but ourselves.
UNBELIEVABLE!
DONT YOU THINK THAT IT IS ABOUT TIME FOR YOU TO SHUT UP AND GROW UP?
you griped about me calling out LTM for her lying but you have drug this dead horse of yours for 3000 miles or so.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#407604 Dec 7, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
4GVN good friend
Thank you for your concern.
You are welcome.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#407605 Dec 7, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You go and figure it out "for yourself". I'm not playing your (merry-go-round "question and answer" anti-Catholic games! You've have (already) decided on your "pre-determined" bible only (heretically distorted answers)---therefore ---- it has, is, and continues to be a "total waste of my time"!---- Check with Ron Rhodes and James McCarthy and they will tell you (exactly) "what you want to hear!"
Ahhhh. There it is. That silly PARROT routine. By HOHO.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#407606 Dec 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think its a case of not taking the blame.
We're dealing with people hell bent on making Catholicism go away.
They are clearly sensationalizing this topic for personal gain. The statistics don't warrant such lopsided devotion to this topic. Obviously its other issues that fuel this devotion.
When Catholics stand up and present evidence that:
1. Its not a fraction of the scandal you make it out to be. Its no more an issue in the Church than any other group of people.
2. The Church has made more strides than any other group to rid this evil in their midst.(no bigot on here would dare acknowledge this)
3. The blame shift as you say is not denying sins of some members of our Church. Its merely pointing out that peoples biased agenda is not because they actually are concerned about victims. Its because they hate us for other reasons not related to the scandal.
No, you still belong to a group that not only committed terrible crimes, but covered them as well. It is not one or two bad priest or even just a few dozen! It is the entire church, which helped cover up the crimes and the followers who continue to support a criminal syndicate!

It has very little to do with your beliefs and everything to do with your support!
Clay

Chicago, IL

#407607 Dec 7, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you still belong to a group that not only committed terrible crimes, but covered them as well. It is not one or two bad priest or even just a few dozen! It is the entire church, which helped cover up the crimes and the followers who continue to support a criminal syndicate!
It has very little to do with your beliefs and everything to do with your support!
Oh no no on. You can't make a blanket statement that its the entire Church top to bottom.
I thought you Atheist were interested in scientific evidence? Isn't that how you come to the conclusion that there is no God?
Well scientific evidence shows the abuse thing isn't anymore in the CC then your immediate family.
So, who in Black Sheeps family is covering it up? We know its Michael in his family. He obviously struggles with attraction to children based on his unprecedented attention to this subject..
Someone in your family is doing the same thing. I know you'd like to think its a catholic thing, But its right in front of you as you gather with your kin at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#407608 Dec 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You are comingling what Jesus stated and taught with what men claimed he taught.

You failed to understand that.

"this magisterium's authority when they added 27 books to the Bible in the 4th century."

400 yrs later?

Really? This justifies what you believe as "true"?

Wanna try again? Or is this where you say that "God's Inspiration" now takes precendence?

It also sort of washed down the drain, that "Apostolic Succession" too.

Really?
Clay

Chicago, IL

#407609 Dec 7, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you still belong to a group that not only committed terrible crimes, but covered them as well.i!
Actually, YOU belong to group that committed terrible crimes too. You should leave your family and live by yourself.

Albuquerque, NM

#407610 Dec 7, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You may want to read "The Jesus Wars" for a better understanding of what you believe to be "true".
http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Wars-Patriarchs-E...

Albuquerque, NM

#407611 Dec 7, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't understand why educated people today are bailing out of organized religion.
1 in 5 americans today claims no religion. Doubled in just 12 years.
Believe what you want, but there is no clear winner of the truth, if there was everyone would be that religion.
"You can't understand why educated people today are bailing out of organized religion."

Of course they can't, because they don't even understand their own religion well enough to make this step themselves.

They would rather go on believing as they do, in the charade that they were given, than to take the effort and understand:

- why do I only believe in a portion of what Jesus taught?
- why do I think "Paul" is more enlightened than Jesus or the other Apostles?

All to do with Self, but through their eyes, they think this is being "selfish", "self-centered", or even "self-righteous".

All are incorrect, if one realizes that if one could examine themself of the faults they have within, that these "traits" would disappear.

They must be afraid of being free from these "sins".
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#407612 Dec 7, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing is being infallibly and unchangeably taught. It's a discipline, a small "t" tradition. Neither are wrong. It's not at all like women being priests. That has been "taught", it's been defined as something that cannot happen. If you can't accept that, well, I'm sorry.
Do you not understand that it is wrong for man to place requirements on God's servents that God himself did not place. The Pharisees were noted for making laws apart from God. I believe taht you are intelligent enough to understand the concept.

Albuquerque, NM

#407613 Dec 7, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey TBS - they don't see it this way. They feel that the so-called UNDEFINED "Church" is all they need, and that just because certain individuals (their hierarchy) has caused harm to children, it has not affect upon their "church" or the embodiment of the so-called UNDEFINED "Church".

Yet, they will donate to it, support it, and even like this forum posters exclaim - believe in it.

Donating to it - to help pay off the victims of said abuse
Support it - by attending the services, even though they know children have been abused by a priest, they just don't know if their priest is guilty or not.

Believe in it - because they choose to only believe in half of what Jesus taught - those teachings accumulated by men.

Quite sad, in many regards, for an individual to support child abuse, but all the while, deny they do.

This is the honesty they fear and are afraid to express.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Hidingfromyou 778,256
Are our soldiers traitors? 18 min Protester 2
Gay snapchat names 24 min Gay15male 173
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 49 min mike 605,330
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 5,159
gay scat or diaper snapchat users 2 hr bob 4
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Rick in Kansas 265,444
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 5 hr Trannyfucker 136
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Lumajuice 441,821
More from around the web