Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603116 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

United States

#406256 Dec 1, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>It is not my faith that is challenged by these evil LEADERS of the RCC. It is a question you must answer.
Hold on now. My faith is challenged by an evil Pope? Oh no no no.
First of all,'evil' may not even apply. Keep in mind, gossip definitely played a role in history's verdict of these men.
Corrupt Popes? Yes I believe we had a couple out of 265.
But that strengthens my faith more than ever. Because I know Christ wasn't lying when He said "The gates of Hell shall not prevail" and "I promise to be with you til the end of age".
In other words, the man responsible for the day to day operations of His Church until He comes back, can't even topple it. Amazing. Those corrupt Popes did not have the ability to change Church teachings. That is evidence the Church truly is protected against the Devil when it comes to teachings on faith and morals. The Devil had his opportunity to bring down the Church when the head shepherd was 'evil'. Yet, he couldn't do it. So he settled for a radical Priest named Martin Luther. Voila, here you are, the product of this corrupt Priest. Sola scripture sola fide.
How is that working out for society so far?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406257 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Sin is accompanied by a mindset of compliance.When we sin,if we as believers do not confess our sins and repent of them,we are bound to the control the evil one attempts in deceiving and pollutting what God has given to the individual.
It is not just one sin,I am saying more a mindset that through deception occupies the thoughts and imagination influenced by sin.
Truth of course cannot be altered,but the way it is delivered and given to others by those who are bound in sin is distortion.When the priest of God gives in to personal sin,he takes a chance of becoming ultimately a deceiver,because he has allowed that which is holy in him to become cheapened by his sin.That is why we call things which seem holy and are not counterfeits.The people who fell into sin and error and were once enlightened distorted the truth within them,they cannot serve both God and the devil.
Imagine HS if a whole society of religious people who have truth,and they give in to corruption.The tentacles of evil deceit,cloud their thinking,and they eventually pervert the truth.I have seen churches or fellowships,that were once walking in wonderful truth,and they had a minister who fulfilled his own lusts walked in darkness,and lead that group down a path of sordid beliefs that tore the whole fellowship to shreds,and their youth forsook the Lord,abandoned real faith,and are now of the world,giving no thought of God.
There is a group of people in my neighborhood who live close to each other,were once part of a church fellowship where the minister led the whole group to stealing another fellowship,lied about another pastor and caused havoc for he and his wife.The people near me are no longer walking in faith,they are worldly and abandoned Christianity,they live unto themselves and do not want to hear anything about God.What's sad is that when trouble comes to their home they are hopeless,cuss and show their anger toward God whom they forsook,because of their connection with a pastor who was corrupt.
The truth of Christ prevails,but unfortunately we see people who distort the truth and lead others to destruction with them,all because they did not go to God to stop in its tracks the sin of the pastor from the beginning,which later caused division and a trail of unbelief,rather than real faith.
All that and still no answer to the 'specific question'.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406258 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of several protestant pastors who have divorced and remarried. Many high profile protestants have done the same. They say they are saved and nothing can cause them to loose their salvation. They continue to preach.
Most Christian communities (until the last few years) considered this living in sin. It is a continuous sin, repeated every day until they die.
Since when is living in an adulterous relationship with no intention of stopping it only ONE sin? Are their divorced and remarried people in your congregation? Are they saved, unlost, Christians?
Is there a point to your questions?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406259 Dec 1, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay says....
Most Catholics I know are Catholic by choice. By that I mean they are adults now and have a choice.
Michael says......how many devout catholic families would embrace their son or daughter if they left the faith? They would shun them just like Amish people do when they leave their belief system.
Creation story?? Which one? There are two distinct creation stories in the bible. Which one you going with?(lol)
God creates adam out of dirt, makes a mistake and realizes man is lonely so he makes man fall asleep and removes one of his ribs to make woman. OKKKKAY!(lol) Let me see, God can snap his fingers and create the entire universe out of nothing, but in order to create a woman he has to figure out how to do it first?
I could write better fiction!
When did I ever call you stupid sheep? BAH BAH BAH1!
Now you sound like a fool.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406260 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony,the situations you bring out here are a thorn in the flesh to many congregations.Actually for ministers to divorce and re-marry and contiue ministries although becoming common place,meet with much resistance,and many denominations will not allow a minister to lead a church if they are divorced.
It is a concern to many believers that these things are happening without resistance or confrontation.In my church recently a man who has been a minister,divorced and married again,was asked to step down from his position,and he left the church disgruntled.He thought the church was judging his past.But we have to look at the Word.What is to stop that individual let's say again to divorce his present wife,and find another a year or so later,should he continue to minister? Compromising the Word seems to be second-place for many congregations.Most of the divorced ministers were married to believing wives,and have children from their first marriage.
How do those children feel about their fathers who were once strong ministers,having their mother alongside the father in many facets of ministry,and now their parents are divorced? The father remarries and has a congregation with him,how does he counsel couples who are struggling?When he himself abandoned his own marriage,his believing wife is now trying to fend for herself,no doubt the children are with the mother.It is wreckless to say the least,and I have seen a poor quality of vocational ability in those ministers who were divorced and have new families,their other families living away from them and having trouble surviving.The children are often disrespectful and abandon church.
I doubt the LORD is pleased with such situations!
Duh!
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406261 Dec 1, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text> I have personally no problem with infant baptism as far as using it as a rite for introducing the baby into the family of God or as deication to the LORD.
Pad, it really doesn't matter in the least whether you have a problemwith infant baptism. The question is does God have a problem with it. Is it what He taught us?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#406262 Dec 1, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Is there a point to your questions?
Well....yes there is indeed a point. Many protestant communities have divorced and re-married pastors preaaching the truth as far as they are concerned, yet according to Catholic doctrine (and the doctrine of the majority of protestant communities until a few years ago), they are living a life of sin in an adulterous relationship. Jesus spoke very harshly of adultery. If you insist that the Catholic Church could not be led by men who were living in sin, that they were ungodly and not saved and not Christians, how do you explain your protestant brethren?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406263 Dec 1, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen Pad. I agree 100% with this comment.
{I cannot imagine the God of all mercy and truth,who weighs all the balances,who sets everything in motion,who CREATED everything we see and cannot see,to take a baby and condemn it to hell or a limbo just because that baby was not baptized.There is something disturbing about a belief that suggests even for a second that God our heavenly Father would destroy infants because they were not baptized.}
You agree 100%? Does that mean you agree with Pad's statement that 'he personally has no problem with infant baptism?' Be careful what you aagree to.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406264 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, He's not pleased.
Divorce is horrible, no question. Re-marriage was always considered adultery. It happens just as much in the Catholic Church as in protestant communities.
Follow the conversation though Dan. 4gvn says that becasue there were a handful of popes who lived sinful lives, the Catholic Church could not possibly preach the truth. His assertion falls flat the minute he realizes that every faith community has leaders that are sinful. We're all sinful, but that doesn't mean we can't preach the truth.
Anthony, baring false witness??? And you make so much noise about that. I NEVER said that or anything like that. WHAT I DID SAY was that because (SOME) POPES were some of the most evil men throughout history and were OBVIOUSLY not christians they cannot be aposlols. And therefore Apostolic Succesion ends there. If one believes that it ever began. If you are going to quote me, please do it correctly.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#406265 Dec 1, 2012
who="Clay"
I already did all of that a long time ago. Now what?
This is the part where you tell me I'm not really a Christian because I'm still Catholic and therefore not saved.
This is also the part where I tell you to get lost. You're no authority on Christianity nor the bible.

Now what? You, like others tend to speak for strangers, and tell them what they are going to think and say. That is not proof that you have found the peace/love/joy that is available through Jesus This is KM, not Gif, by the way. I have never told anyone that they are not 'Christian' simply because they are Catholic.

I understand that one has to follow Jesus for a while to learn to LOVE others...Muslims included...and enemies...and even in-laws! It doesn't come easy as our human nature is quick to 'feel' offense...but WITH HIM IT IS POSSIBLE.

So you tell someone to 'get lost' because they disagree with you on some points? Actually, my disagreement is not with you personally. You are not the RCC, even though you are submitted to it.

I had an experience Thursday. I met a man in the doctor's office who chatted with us about the things of the day, and he told me that he was a Catholic. I asked no questions, but in the process of the discussion he said that they had scripture readings in their Catholic school. He said, "We didn't read the Bible at home." He was...as far as I could see...a nice gentleman, but he was not familiar with the Bible.

We didn't read the Bible at home! What a statement.

If you have done all those things, at least you have a good start. Keep walking...He will help you as long as you are looking to Him.

KayMarie

My hope is not to offend or condemn, but to find some unity in Christ.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406266 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know how they lived "all of their lives". There were a handful of bad popes, the vast majority were decent and holy men. Most importantly, not one of them taught contrary to Church doctrine. The Holy Spirit protected the Church from error, even when a bad pope was in charge.
Can I expect an answer to my question anytime soon?
4GVN : What I do know is what history tells us, which is all anyone knows. Deny and make excuses if you must, but you know that what I am saying is true.
marge

Ames, IA

#406267 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well....yes there is indeed a point. Many protestant communities have divorced and re-married pastors preaaching the truth as far as they are concerned, yet according to Catholic doctrine (and the doctrine of the majority of protestant communities until a few years ago), they are living a life of sin in an adulterous relationship. Jesus spoke very harshly of adultery. If you insist that the Catholic Church could not be led by men who were living in sin, that they were ungodly and not saved and not Christians, how do you explain your protestant brethren?
Again, what makes you think they did not get divorced because of adultery, which is not sin, and now are in a faithful relationship?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406268 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
See post 406229.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#406269 Dec 1, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>What is your basis for the statement that the church is 'filled with the Holy Spirit'? And what is the deffinition of this
church' you speak of?
I would say that Jesus allowed Himself to be tempted in all things so that He could know what His followers would have to endure. He could have said 'Depart from Me and Satan would have had to flee.'
4GVN good friend

The Church is the One Body of Christ, which is God united with the believers....

It comes from 1 Corintians 12:13

" For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

So of everyone who is a part of the Church, do you think any one of them has sinned after becoming a part of the Church?

Catholic.... is universal, or in other words Jew, Gentile, bond, free.

And for about 1500 years the Body of Christ was known as the Catholic Church....

Roman Catholic....The term was invented to take on a negative meaning about the time Henry VII, and his daughter Elizabeth I to seperate themselves with the English(Anglican)Church.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#406270 Dec 1, 2012
who="Anthony MN"

Some protestants have divorced and remarried. Often it is because an un-believing spouse would not stay with them.

But that is no reason to excuse priests who molest boys...or cover up for those who do.

This "your-sin-is-worse-than-o ur-sin" is NO EXCUSE for sin.

KayMarie
marge

Ames, IA

#406271 Dec 1, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We have rules, one can't live in sin and be a pastor, he would be fired.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#406272 Dec 1, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
4GVN good friend
The Church is the One Body of Christ, which is God united with the believers....
" For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
So of everyone who is a part of the Church, do you think any one of them has sinned after becoming a part of the Church?
And for about 1500 years the Body of Christ was known as the Catholic Church....
Roman Catholic....The term was invented to take on a negative meaning about the time Henry VII, and his daughter Elizabeth I to seperate themselves with the English(Anglican)Church.
I am a little confused by your post Robert. I see that you always use a capital C for church, whereas God in His word uses a small c. Why the difference? The church in the N.T. was not a Catholic Church, but the church at Antioch, the church a Ephesis, the church at Corinth. When did it 'become' the Roman Catholic Church?
So are you saying that ALL believers are baptized into one body, or only Roman Catholics?
preston

Waverly, OH

#406273 Dec 1, 2012
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
We have rules, one can't live in sin and be a pastor, he would be fired.
churches make exceptions all of the time. look at charles stanley, who stood in the pulpit and said he would resign if he was divorced. when the No fault(a policy in which the Baptisats are against,SUPPOSEDLY)was used, he stayed and his church backed him. they wanted that 15 seconds of fame by being on TV once in awhile.

and as I have said several times before, she had to have had grounds for divorce and in the Baptist church, there is ONLY ONE REASON that is Biblical
preston

Waverly, OH

#406274 Dec 1, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Clay"
I already did all of that a long time ago. Now what?
This is the part where you tell me I'm not really a Christian because I'm still Catholic and therefore not saved.
This is also the part where I tell you to get lost. You're no authority on Christianity nor the bible.
Now what? You, like others tend to speak for strangers, and tell them what they are going to think and say. That is not proof that you have found the peace/love/joy that is available through Jesus This is KM, not Gif, by the way.
thank you. that is why yesteday, I told your hardheaded husband that you should get your own nick and that way people will know which of you that they should tell to get lost.

you two are in a world all of your own, the only trouble is that no one else lives in it with you.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#406275 Dec 1, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
4GVN good friend
Good post, Robert. Note that it is the Church AT a local site. It isn't different "churches" with different beliefs. The Church (singular) AT Antioch, the Church AT Ephesus, the Church AT Corinth, the Church AT Jerusalem, the Church AT Rome, etc.

The Church does not have different beliefs depending upon where she is found, she has the same beliefs where ever she is found. The Church is the Bishop and his flock. Every local Church was headed by a Bishop appointed and consecrated by an Apostle. NO local Church was founded by some folks who were believers. Believers may have met in some of the cities before the arrival of an Apostle, but they asked for and waited until an Apostle came to organize the local Church at that city. They are all the Catholic Church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Aerobatty 877,530
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 9 min Gary Coaldigger 7,899
The Christian Atheist debate 12 min too lazy to log in 3,778
Why African-Americans so ugly? 44 min Life129 1
bj needed 48 min Michael Jackson 2
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... (Feb '15) 57 min USaWORLDWARMONGERER 992
Treat sleep disorder once distinctive the impor... 1 hr Raylin Sutter 3
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr The swamiji 7,611
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 8 hr Peace_Warrior 613,066
More from around the web