Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
390,881 - 390,900 of 537,249 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age---I apologize for "making a comment" with such an opinionated and intolerant manner. I have always believed that whether we are Protestant, Catholic or whatever Christian belief that we are ALL brothers and sisters in Christ. However---it is clear that bible only Protestants do not hold that same opinion of us Catholics and it "irks me" to no end, to hear this anti-catholic bias attacks and distortion of the TRUTH regarding what the Catholic Church "actually believes and teaches"..... I have listened to this "same old" "Protestant trash talking" for over 35 years as a bible only Lutheran and it takes (all the patience that I have) to try and attempt to "suppress" the anger and displeasure towards (so-called Christians) who should know better!!
BTW hojo - thanks for your apology, it means you have taken another step in bettering yourself.

Only you can.

Cheers!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

preston wrote:
<quoted text>you bring up some interesting points.
I do believe that those saints stayed on this earth until jesus left and then I beleive they went with Him to Paradise.
preston

I think I know what you are trying to say here....

And I might say this of course, this is more one of conjecture here, than of "belief".

I am not sure of what you mean here....that they left, and went to Paradise.

But when I think of Paradise, two things come to mind....The first is of course the Garden of Eden, guarded by Michael the Archangel. The second is an enclosed garden and alludes to Abraham's bossom.(And is in Jesus teachings of the beggar and Lazarus).

I was thinking that when Jesus died, that some massive, reorienting went on, which not only affected all souls, but the structure of Creation(a New Creation)....Lets say, in Jesus' time, it seemed common that demons were around, and possessed people. Now they seem to be more in the spiritual realm.

This might lend oneself over from more of a conjecture to a belief, though it may be a weak one.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
You wrote
"I could write better fiction.(lol)"
YOU HAVE DONE A PRETTY GOOD JOB AS A NOVEL AUTHOR SO FAR...
You lied to me.

You are no different than those catholic priests/bishops from around the world, who lied to their parishioners why molesting priestS were getting moved to other parishs. It happened over and over.

Most catholics say.....NOTHING!(UNBELIEVABLE! )

.....and you wonder why I am not a believer.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
For the record DayStorm is not me.
Limbo was a theological discussion not a doctrine and it has been removed. It goes to the point of Baptism. I am sorry Robert I typed a reply to your question on Baptism, but there are many great Catholic articles on Baptism and Confirmation. The Latin right would be the equivalent of protestant ease of getting saved.
Sorry but time does not permit me to always answer in detail. Nevertheless I can point you to scripturecatholic website for lots of scripture. I agree with some of what you wrote but its not ez to just summarize what Baptism all entails in a sentence. However you cannot disregard water and spirit. Again we are bound by the sacraments but God is not.
So since the Jewish Scrolls did not have punctuation. So with the thief on the cross should the punctuation be today you will be with me in paradise or I tell you today? It makes a big difference. Paradise is the bosom of Abraham the realm of the righteous dead. Purgatory is quite Jewish.
Matt. 12:32 – Jesus says,“And anyone who says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but no one who speaks against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven either in this world or in the next.” Jesus thus clearly provides that there is forgiveness after death. The phrase “in the next”(from the Greek “en to mellonti”) generally refers to the afterlife (see, for example, Mark 10.30; Luke 18.30; 20.34-35; Eph. 1.21 for similar language). Forgiveness is not necessary in heaven, and there is no forgiveness in hell. This proves that there is another state after death, and the Church for 2,000 years has called this state purgatory.
2 Tim. 1:16-18 - Onesiphorus is dead but Paul asks for mercy on him “on that day.” Paul’s use of “that day” demonstrates its eschatological usage (see, for example, Rom. 2.5,16; 1 Cor. 1.8; 3.13; 5.5; 2 Cor. 1.14; Phil. 1.6,10; 2.16; 1 Thess. 5.2,4,5,8; 2 Thess. 2.2,3; 2 Tim. 4.8). Of course, there is no need for mercy in heaven, and there is no mercy given in hell. Where is Onesiphorus? He is in purgatory.
1 Peter 3:19; 4:6 - Jesus preached to the spirits in the "prison." These are the righteous souls being purified for the beatific vision.
http://www.scripturecatholic.com
Gehinnom: A Jewish Hell
Only truly righteous souls ascend directly to Gan Eden, say the sages. The average person descends to a place of punishment and/or purification, generally referred to as Gehinnom.
The name is taken from a valley (Gei Hinnom) just south of Jerusalem, once used for child sacrifice by the pagan nations of Canaan (II Kings 23:10). Some view Gehinnom as a place of torture and punishment, fire and brimstone. Others imagine it less harshly, as a place where one reviews the actions of his/her life and repents for past misdeeds.
The soul's sentence in Gehinnom is usually limited to a twelve-month period of purgation before it takes its place in Olam Ha-Ba (Mishnah Eduyot 2:9, Shabbat 33a). This twelve-month limit is reflected in the yearlong mourning cycle and the recitation of the Kaddish (the memorial prayer for the dead).
Only the utterly wicked do not ascend to Gan Eden at the end of this year. Sources differ on what happens to these souls at the end of their initial time of purgation. Some say that the wicked are utterly destroyed and cease to exist, while others believe in eternal damnation (Maimonides, Mishneh Torah, Law of Repentance, 3:5-6).
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/beliefs/Theol...
Dust Storm

Thanks for such a lengthy reply....

I was not aware of the 12 month stay of souls in Gehenna(Gei Hinnom), with the Kaddish said....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
[52] And the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints that had slept arose,[53] And coming out of the tombs after his resurrection, came into the holy city, and appeared to many.
Honestly, if this didn't convince them that Jesus is the Messiah, I don't know what would. It puzzles me how so many still refused to believe. Was it just hard-heartedness do you think?
When Christ preached the Good News to the just in Gehenna, wouldn't their souls have gone to Heaven after His resurrection?
ReginaM

Peace

I just wrote to preston on the same question....I think a restructuring of Creation went on....where once there was a wall, now there is a way for souls....Christ overcame the last impediment, death. The soul was freed.

It gets us to after death now, where do souls go. In a sense they go nowhere, but are infused/absorbed, or even adsorbed thru him, with him, in him.... God. As a Catholic, the soul is the drop of water in the chalice of wine.

We are trying to describe heaven in earthly terms....A most difficult task.

Peace
preston

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
preston
I think I know what you are trying to say here....
And I might say this of course, this is more one of conjecture here, than of "belief".
I am not sure of what you mean here....that they left, and went to Paradise.
But when I think of Paradise, two things come to mind....The first is of course the Garden of Eden, guarded by Michael the Archangel. The second is an enclosed garden and alludes to Abraham's bossom.(And is in Jesus teachings of the beggar and Lazarus).
I was thinking that when Jesus died, that some massive, reorienting went on, which not only affected all souls, but the structure of Creation(a New Creation)....Lets say, in Jesus' time, it seemed common that demons were around, and possessed people. Now they seem to be more in the spiritual realm.
This might lend oneself over from more of a conjecture to a belief, though it may be a weak one.
well, I base my opinion on what Jesus said, In my Fathers house are many mansions.and He also said that"where I am, you will be there too"

so they would have a place to go.

I wasnt really thinking about the demons, their place is assured but they will not inhabit it for many more years(or Less).I wish that I could find that link about "the waiting room", it had some good info in it.anyway it had to do with the Creed

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>

The world of perceived knowledge, of sayings, of language, of "nuggets of truth" is one that changes meanings with nuances and cultural glasses as time moves forward. It is like shifting sand. Sturdy enough to build on, but shifts....We look and suddenly we see the wall is cracked in the wall.
You do bring up a good point Robert.

The world is always changing, except for Christianity.

Unfortunately, as facts arise in a belief, many refuse to accept those facts, thus refusing to change.

Remember that old adage - "The only thing that stays the same is change"?
- If more people would change with the world to make it a better place, you will eventually see all religions removed from the forefront, and placed where they should be, into a personal world. We already know it is a "personal relationship" with a deity, why not complete the cycle?

Or - like you - you can stay the same and never change, while the world leaves you behind.

it all comes down to a personal choice - Self.

Damn it - I did it again, didn't I? We have arrived at Self.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You best be careful Clay;
"Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."
Here we go again.....promoting a specific saying, from the Bible, when one can plainly see, it is very similar in wording as this non-canonical text that you refuse to accept:

(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."

Why don't you believe Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I like all people, how can that possibly be wrong?
Our world will always be divided, as long as we have people who keep saying "I AM RIGHTEOUS AND YOU ARE NOT"
For the life of me, I can't see how people can attach themselves to a belief, that shows only hatred towards anyone not like them.
makes no common sense....
I'm just as bewildered. It really is unfounded.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah...so you have morals. Where do they come from and why do you have them..why does it matter?
I am an angry little girl!
You are a bit of a thickie, aren't you?

Why am I against murder? Let's pretend that you sincerely need an answer for that.
1. I don't want to be murdered.
2. I don't want my family to be murdered.
3. I don't want my friends to be murdered.
4. I don't want people I know to be murdered.
5. I don't want strangers to be murdered.
Oh! You wanted me to say, cause god said not to murder, right? But then I can quote many parts of the bible were your god demanded that people be murdered.
The bible is cool! You can justify any horror that you want, just by knowing the proper verse, from the proper translation.
Sadly, so can everyone else.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL good friend
No I don't understand what you mean....
The 10 Commandments are not a thought problem to act upon. Though one can and should think about them to be informed.
In general, one does not think aout the law until it is broken, and one is caught, and is judged.
In Christiantiy, when broken, they have personal, social, and spiritual effects.
Basically, "moral" is 'of the mind'- nothing else.

So with you stating that the 10 Commandments are "moral laws", then one requires the use of their mind in order to act or not act upon them.

And I disagree with what you stated - "In general, one does not think about the law until it is broken, and one is caught, and is judged."
- many people know the laws they break, PRIOR to breaking them.
- Although I will agree that there are some people who do break laws without knowing them (accidental death by the hands of another / i.e. a person forgets about a baby in the back seat of a car and leave them in a 100+ degree car all day long), and then they have to pay the consequences of their error. But, does it really promote that they "didn't" think about the law before it was broke? That is speculation on both of our parts.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
TBS
I don't quite agree. I think atheists are fools, but not stupid.
Its when they are stupid and fools that they become dangerous.
Wouldn't that apply to everyone?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes, I wonder; are you a poe, a troll, a fundie, or just heavily indoctrinated.
To tell me that I do not have morals or that I hate 'morality' laws or god, is just plain stupid. Not just a little bit stupid; way over the top stupid.
"Some people are put off by the thought of having a "good friend". And they don't know how to respond..."
Stupidity Part II.
Who? Just because they don't like you?
No matter what words you try to impress with, your statements prove you true lack of intelligence. You wear your vocabulary like a mask; unfortunately, your mask has your true identity written all over it. You act as if you are disguising your obvious stupidity.
TBS

?

I don't know what a poe is....I thought you meant Edgar Allen,(smile)?

I was addressing Michael about something and you seem to take it personally, and you really seem upset at me. Thats okay. Don't be afraid to talk with me.

In general it takes awhile to get some knowledge and understanding going between people....

The more we talk, the more specific I can get....

I saw you came on this thread after a bit of an absence. I am sorry but the way things went with us, I didn't think you cared much about talking with me....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much ,Pad, for your kind words.From the heart thank all of you that pryed for me. I had a very close call. My wife kept me up yo date on who0 here were praying for me, who here was emailing her, etc, and helped me immensely to get through.I still am on oxygen, but I am home. he lung disease I have is not as serious as what the previous doctors diagnosed.At first the other doctor thought I had contracted something rare that can get progressively worse and can often be terminal.The disease they diagnosed is not terminal though it has a pretty long period of rehabilitation.
This is the fourth life our Saviour has given me. First when I was born, second when I was told I had cancer, the third was this last bout, and the fourth, most important life He gave me was a new life in Him.
Its hard to express my gratitude to so many. Please know that I know each of your kindnesses and that they filled my heart.
Please know that the Lord, our God and Saviour is very real. Thank you Son of David for having mercy on me a sinner.May the uthor of Life cotinue to shed His mercy and compassionate bliessinmgs on you all.
Hermi
Peace

So glad. I am so glad for you.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You're reading the bible thru the eyes of Protestantism. Read it thru the eyes of the Catholic Church. You will see its not meant to be a word for word literal translation. In fact, it never was like that until some knuckle heads came along and took our Bible and beat us over the head with it. These people are nomads.
The books that make up the Bible are inspired by God (we believe), using human thought with divine insights . The writers used LANGUAGE AND CULTURE from their own time period to paint a picture of God for the reader. Slavery is mentioned at times, simply because people around that time had slaves. The writer mentioned slaves because that was the normal speak.
God chose to let humanity figure out that slavery was wrong. In His eyes, we're all slaves anyway. Slaves to sin.
Yeah yeah yeah! Hear it all before. If the bible is not the word of god and just some nomads' story, why do you believe like you do?

Think about it. How many groups have written or told stories about their gods? Do you believe them? Do you give their gods respect? Do you follow their gods' laws?

No, you laugh at their stupidity. LOL! The world was populated by a snake! LOL! Those damned fools! LOL!

1 The Four Creations
2 Odin and Ymir
3 The Separation of Heaven and Earth
4 The Story of Corn and Medicine
5 The Origin of Japan and Her People
6 Death, and Life and Death
7 The Creation and the Emergence
8 Creation by and of the Self
9 Marduk Creates the World from the Spoils of Battle
10 The Golden Chain
11 The Menominee and Manabush
12 The Naba Zid-Wendé
13 Pan Gu and Nü Wa
14 Yahweh
15 The Elohim
16 A Potawatomi Story
17 Birth in the Dawn
18 Life from Moon and the Stars
19 Two Brothers and their Grandmother
20 The Moon and the Morning Star

Your story is just a silly as any of the others.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says.
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Do you concur?
TBS

Do you concur?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because of his belief and repentance, I believe Jesus saved him (forgiving his sins) as Jesus had the authority to forgive sins on earth.....
Truth good friend

:)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
TBS
?
I don't know what a poe is....I thought you meant Edgar Allen,(smile)?
I was addressing Michael about something and you seem to take it personally, and you really seem upset at me. Thats okay. Don't be afraid to talk with me.
In general it takes awhile to get some knowledge and understanding going between people....
The more we talk, the more specific I can get....
I saw you came on this thread after a bit of an absence. I am sorry but the way things went with us, I didn't think you cared much about talking with me....
Upset?!? Afraid?!?! With someone who has no influence on my life. I wouldn't waste the energy. I will waste enough energy to laugh at you and call you an idiot.

Now, you made a very stupid statement. In fact, you made several. I don't need to know too much about you to say, "That was f'ing stupid!"

Saying things like, "I hate your god.", "I cannot be moral or if I am, I got my morals from your god." or "I hate being moral.", is pretty damn stupid. I don't feel any emotion from your writings.

I am a bit confused. I am trying to figure out if you are stupid or if you are playing stupid. A good vocabulary, accurate spelling and grammar do not mean that you are intelligent or educated, just means that you are good at those things.

Your statements are you credentials.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert,
Sorry.....this makes no sense...
What is baptism for??? Forgiveness of sins...wash away your sins....
So if you are baptized as an infant...what sins have you committed???? Plus, you MUST CONFESS with YOUR MOUTH...how can an infant do that.....
So as you grow and get older and SIN, what happens with these sins???? You retain them and still in a lost state....outside of Christ.....
And, you are IN NEED to be BAPTIZED for the forgiveness of your sins.....BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM....INTO HIS DEATH, BURIAL, AND RESURRECTION....does an infant have the knowledge of how IMPORTANT this ACTION is????
Common now....
Truth good friend

When one is baptised in water, aren't sins washed away?

That inludes, past, present, and future....How far into the past?

Two questions:

What about original sin?(Isn't it in the nature of fallen man to sin?)

When does one start to sin after they are born.? Day one, day 8, day 10...?

I think where I am going with these questions is that it is the Grace of God that saves.

Another way to put it is that God's Faithfulness is vaster than the Creation, and man's faithfulness is at best but a mustard seed....

Why can't you believe that a baby cannot be baptised and saved? Have the faith of a mustard seed?

Do you think it is the water that washes sins away?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
If God as you claim is the creator of all, than God created the devil.
ps are there daily services at your church?
There are services on Sunday AM. and PM Wednesday PM.

the Ethnic group is there on Thursday PM.

God did create Lucifer...and he rebelled against God.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min thewordofme 730,492
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min DeAngelo of Memphis 2,212
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 min Itspetesaykekiss 117,843
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Charlie Sheen 259,373
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 13 min Freebird USA 172,984
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 14 min trifecta1 599,557
Have any girls on here had sex with a dog??? (Feb '12) 18 min undie lover 78

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000