Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#405646 Nov 28, 2012
preston wrote:
where I come from, it is one of the poorest counties in Ohio.
and about the only thing that many possess around here is their word,
and when that isnt any good, then neither are they
And I bet your right their in the middle talking down to everyone of them ready to put your foot on their head and push them right on under the water when they try to swim for shore.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#405647 Nov 28, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
There are how many non-catholics? If counting how many there are is important, then counting how many are not, must be equally important.
Sheep......

According to the roman catholic bishops conference just a couple years back state that across america about 25% of roman catholics attend mandatory sunday service.

Western europe statistics are even bleaker.

The big question is WHY? Why are so many leaving and why do so many not practice their faith, or practice it regularily as their parents and grand parents did.

I am surprised that the vatican still sits on their hands with this dilema. There is no wholesale turnaround in sight.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#405648 Nov 28, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Kay Marie,you are talking to Catholics in 2012,a very candid group that view things much differently than their predecessors.American Catholics especially have heard our evangelical broadcasts on TV and the radio.Many have watched Billy Graham,and even some catholic bishops have encouraged their flocks to attend Billy Graham crusades in their cities when he came there.
The evangelical expression of Catholicism has been ignited by the era of Catholic Charismatic renewal,there is much evangelical fervor amongst priests,sisters in communities and brothers,many of the laity have been involed in the charismatic movement.We are on a thin line when we claim that Catholics today do not know the gospel,in its dynamic evangelical message of personal salvation and unique fellowship with Christ.
Neverthless,Catholics today are experiencing as well a surge of liberalism which threatens that evangelical revival as it were.The liberal factions are the many Catholics who are cultural but not transformed by the gospel.Our evangelical churches and fellowships major in transforming power of Christ,and we have done so ever since the Holy Spirit decided long ago to inspire men and women like the Apostles Peter and Paul,to preach a dynamic personal faith that seeks the continual exchanges of the heart from that of the flesh to that of the Spirit.It is difficult,but true.
Many Catholics have known that truth and for centuries,we can read about dynamic saints and laity who have been transformed by the Lord,all through Catholic history.nevertheless the Catholic church is plagued with several personalities,and each one fights for dominance.Now in this time the evangelical voice within Catholicism is fighting hard for the people to turnfrom their wicked ways,but the cultural Catholics who resist such attend mass regularly and consider themselves every wit Catholic,remain as a thorn in the flesh to the others.It will be interesting to see who will supersede the other,will it be the liberals and cultural Catholics,or will it be those who are evangelical in their practise of Catholicism?
Pad good friend

I sort of agree with you here.

But in thinking in terms of culture, one must see that the "cultural" Catholics, have fallen away. They were indocrinated, but left. That is here in the U.S.

There is a revival in the RCC and it is continuing, more from the immigrants into the U.S., which has brought a new life. But also converts and reverts as they grow weary of materialism, relativism, modernism, new age, etc, etc. And in rediscovery there is an enthusiasm, and an evangelicalism that comes out.(Do not hide the light under a basket.)

Because we live in a post-modern age, the influences in our society are around, but aren't really alive in the RCC. You can say that the decline in most all large denominations have faced similar circumstances.

The sense of a society concerning social toleration, does make its way into religion is more a political one. And enters as a kind of pride. Those who are the hypocrits and judging others. When in fact the poor, and the stranger should be welcomed. When this starts happening, and a sort of stratification, and cliques start forming, the leaders need to start rebuking....Unfortunately, it seems to center in on the priest in the RCC, when it should be more the responsibility of the deacons or elders....
Prince Helmut Pipke

Baltimore, MD

#405649 Nov 28, 2012
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you hate when someone opens their piehole about someone else's conversation that they know nothing about....me too.
He was talking to me about the Ohio State/Michigan game...good gravy why am I wasting my time. I'll never get this time of my life back.
no understand your defintion hate

such word doesn't exist to hate cyber muts and only hell knows who they are?

but his peehole someday can get outside germs and catch testicle cancer or pheronies

have good night Chuck
preston

Waverly, OH

#405650 Nov 28, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>For all those who may or may not be confused Persy while in flight over Vietnam (Not in a AIRPLANE he say's) saw Jesus (Not God so does this entail not God the Son) which he states makes him an apostle according to the message recieved.
Come on really for all we know he could have been in a hang glider flying over China Town sailed into a cliff and while in descent hit his head on a rock and woke up in a Roman Catholic Hospital as a patient were he saw a picture hanging on th e wall of his room of the Pontiff thinking it was Jesus being blinded from the flourisit lighting in his deranged mind related it to him being equal to the Apstle Paul.
yep that about sums it up.
what is amazing to me is the fact, that no one but you are concerned about what I saw.

and if you dont believe it, that is up to you, if you believe it or not, doesnt bother two others, God and Myself.

so bring it back up in a few days, it still is what it is.and your infantile behavior is very evident. an adult wouldnt concern themselves with something that happened almost 50 years ago,lol.

ONE GOOD THING HAS COME OUT OF YOUR MOCKERY,THE CATHOLICS ON HERE HAVE MORE CREDITIBILITY THAN YOU WOULD EVER POSSESS.

which means than I dont feel like arguing with them very much, since that places me on the same side of you, and that is detestable to God.

Location hidden

#405651 Nov 28, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
(47) Jesus says:
(1) "It is impossible for a person to mount two horses and to stretch two bows.
(2) And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters. Else he will honor the one and insult the other.(3) No person drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine.
(4) And new wine is not put into old wineskins, so that they do not burst; nor is old wine put into (a) new wineskin, so that it does not spoil it.
(5) An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear will result."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
What you think is new is not, yet you promote it as such, to spoil it.
Similarily as in above, the "new wine" is not put into the "old wineskin" because the old wineskin will spoils it.
You should understand the "new wine" a little better, even though it appears you're drunk from the old.
(28) Jesus says:
(1) "I stood in the middle of the world, and in flesh I appeared to them.
(2) I found all of them drunk. None of them did I find thirsty.
(3) And my soul ached for the children of humanity,
because they are blind in their heart, and they cannot see;
for they came into the world empty,
(and) they also seek to depart from the world empty.
(4) But now they are drunk.
(But) when they shake off their wine, then they will change their mind."
Hello NASL

It all comes down to the way of thinking, and not being within faith for you....

Of course thinking and the correct teaching are important, and some are taught that way from the start, and become quite capable, but the faith comes first for most. And when approached correctly, faith with reason is the way....

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#405652 Nov 28, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Seraphima,I am glad your husband is getting much better.Sometimes we have to go through things which seem to be bad news,to wake up about things around us.i do not blame you for not wanting to get on the computer and haggle over religilosity and so on.It bothers me as well,but I often think it might just open a few eyes to the broader truth as to why we are argueing in the first place.
hs will be missed if he does not come on here,as he added so much.I personally learned a lot about your Orthodoxy through both you and him.I hope you have a blessed Christmas,will look up on a claender to see when the Orthodox Christmas is celebrated.
Believers are certainly all important one to another,no matter what our affiliation is,we are individuals who have made a decision to either follow Jesus to the end or follow Him at what ever level we are at in our development.Either way we can learn from one another,as our Christian faith is a minority in this world,and God knows how we should actually come together rather than be apart.Sometimes we have to sort through the incidentals to reach a firmer stand of unity as believers.
It is not easy with all of our differences,but Jesus bids us to love one another,even as He loves the Body or the Church as it were.
Again take care,and enjoy your family this Christmas! Say hello to hs for me,I miss him here.
I read your post to hermi and he smiled.Your post was touching and we agree with you.We all have our differant beliefs and as adults should be able to act like adults and learn from each other,Respect one another, and Love one another.....Hermi's and I will see u soon!!

Location hidden

#405653 Nov 28, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert, Anthony's post contained the Nicene Creed. The line you are referring to is from the Apostles' Creed.
Perhaps this will help:
ARTICLE 5
"HE DESCENDED INTO HELL. ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN"
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...
ReginaM
Peace

Thank you....

It is not really spoken about much. I haven't seen it on this thread. And I would like to see some of the non-Catholics thinkings or beliefs concerning the belief that Jesus descended into hell, and on the third day he rose again....
preston

Waverly, OH

#405654 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM
Peace
Thank you....
It is not really spoken about much. I haven't seen it on this thread. And I would like to see some of the non-Catholics thinkings or beliefs concerning the belief that Jesus descended into hell, and on the third day he rose again....
just what are you wishing to discuss?

one problem that the Creed has(concerning a waiting room, for lack of a better term and I most certainly am not mocking what it means)is that on the Day of His death, many saints came out of the graves and were seen by many, so who did He Preach to, and why?.

this beats other discussions that we have went over and over.
so what are the parameters?
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#405655 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM
Peace
Thank you....
Peace to you as well, my friend.

Did you read the link from the Catechism? It cites the scriptural references and explains the meaning of Christ's descending to the dead (hell). As you know, the Profession of Faith (Nicene Creed) differs slightly in its wording from the Apostles' Creed, but they're essentially the same. It is our Profession of Faith that we recite every Sunday at Holy Mass. The Apostles' Creed is prayed at other times and sometimes at children's Masses.

I think it might have been mentioned here once, as far as I recall. But that was quite a while ago. I agree, it would be interesting to hear the Protestant take on it.

Location hidden

#405656 Nov 28, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Right! The problem is we cannot control our thought, or vision process, but we can control our actions.
Example, show a picture of a beautiful naked lady to a man he will become aroused.
Show a picture of a handsome man to a woman she will fanticize about being with him.
If I dream about stealing (robbing a bank) and what I could do with the money, is that a sin or again just part of our human condition?
Are these sins based on our thought process, or are they natural re-actions of our species as being imperfect beings?
Michael

lol....You don't get it....NASL thinks its just a mind game, where one can play the 10 Commandments is just some perception, or thought....

You take it as that, or a species defect....That isn't much better, except you added the condition "imperfect beings", which give it a "better" sound.

Your either/or scenario....lol.

It is a moral law..., still in the Bible, and in the U.S. Supreme Courtroom(much to the dislike of atheists.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#405657 Nov 28, 2012
ARTICLE 5
"HE DESCENDED INTO HELL. ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN"

631 Jesus "descended into the lower parts of the earth. He who descended is he who also ascended far above all the heavens."476 The Apostles' Creed confesses in the same article Christ's descent into hell and his Resurrection from the dead on the third day, because in his Passover it was precisely out of the depths of death that he made life spring forth:

Paragraph 1. Christ Descended into Hell

632 The frequent New Testament affirmations that Jesus was "raised from the dead" presuppose that the crucified one sojourned in the realm of the dead prior to his resurrection.478 This was the first meaning given in the apostolic preaching to Christ's descent into hell: that Jesus, like all men, experienced death and in his soul joined the others in the realm of the dead. But he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there.479

633 Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, "hell" - Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek - because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God.480 Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the Redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into "Abraham's bosom":481 "It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham's bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell."482 Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him.483

634 "The gospel was preached even to the dead."484 The descent into hell brings the Gospel message of salvation to complete fulfilment. This is the last phase of Jesus' messianic mission, a phase which is condensed in time but vast in its real significance: the spread of Christ's redemptive work to all men of all times and all places, for all who are saved have been made sharers in the redemption.

635 Christ went down into the depths of death so that "the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live."485 Jesus, "the Author of life", by dying destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage."486 Henceforth the risen Christ holds "the keys of Death and Hades", so that "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth."487
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...
marge

Ames, IA

#405658 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM
Peace
Thank you....
I believe that's what it says, do you have the Bible verses Robert?
preston

Waverly, OH

#405659 Nov 28, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Peace to you as well, my friend.
Did you read the link from the Catechism? It cites the scriptural references and explains the meaning of Christ's descending to the dead (hell). As you know, the Profession of Faith (Nicene Creed) differs slightly in its wording from the Apostles' Creed, but they're essentially the same. It is our Profession of Faith that we recite every Sunday at Holy Mass. The Apostles' Creed is prayed at other times and sometimes at children's Masses.
I think it might have been mentioned here once, as far as I recall. But that was quite a while ago. I agree, it would be interesting to hear the Protestant take on it.
I would loved to have got into that discussion, however when i posted, someone gave me a burnt out light bulb, a peanut which I am allergic to, and a lemon, but no water to make any lemonade which I love, nor any sugar, which would help me to overcome their bitterness.lol

Location hidden

#405660 Nov 28, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>just what are you wishing to discuss?
one problem that the Creed has(concerning a waiting room, for lack of a better term and I most certainly am not mocking what it means)is that on the Day of His death, many saints came out of the graves and were seen by many, so who did He Preach to, and why?.
this beats other discussions that we have went over and over.
so what are the parameters?
preston

I am not talking about "limbo" or Purgatory, but the Creed in saying he descended into hell....

After his resurrection, yes indeed many saints came out of the grave, as the Bible states. But what was Jesus doing in the realm of the dead, even to hell itself? Some say that he "preached" to the dead, and his words are what caused the "many saints" to rise when He was resurrected. The Bible has a few "clues".
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#405661 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael
lol....You don't get it....NASL thinks its just a mind game, where one can play the 10 Commandments is just some perception, or thought....
You take it as that, or a species defect....That isn't much better, except you added the condition "imperfect beings", which give it a "better" sound.
It is a moral law..., still in the Bible, and in the U.S. Supreme Courtroom(much to the dislike of atheists.
You read too much into my post.

I have never stated I am an atheist so your subliminal statement about atheists do not apply to me.

My point was for those that believe in a deity, that the deity is perfect without sin. Humans are imperfect beings and subject to committing sin or breaking laws. Some more than others. That is why religious people claim we are all sinners.

I wouldn't state that atheists are against rules and regulations. Religious people tend to believe for some reason that its all the non religious people who commit crime. That is a dangerous and narrow view.

My understanding is in america per capta there are more christians in jail for breaking the laws (commandments) than non religious people.

You make a blanket statement about those that are not christian, I guess that has to do with the way you were raised. I remember it well.

I like all people and I don't claim anyone better than anyone else regardless of their belief or non belief. Religious people haven't got to that level of awareness yet.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#405662 Nov 28, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheep......
According to the roman catholic bishops conference just a couple years back state that across america about 25% of roman catholics attend mandatory sunday service.
Western europe statistics are even bleaker.
The big question is WHY? Why are so many leaving and why do so many not practice their faith, or practice it regularily as their parents and grand parents did.
I am surprised that the vatican still sits on their hands with this dilema. There is no wholesale turnaround in sight.
Why? Education! Just think about how things were just 40 years ago. How much outside influence did most children have? a few channels on TV, school, and family friends. Now how much do they have?

catholic mass was done in Latin, fish was eaten on Friday, purgatory was a 'real' place, a divorce and following in love with a non-catholic meant excommunication! None of which has its basis in the bible.

Today, kids are exposed to the internet and all that comes with it. How many tv channels do you get? 200? 300? How many of them are movie channels that show R rated movies, any time of the day. How many people are divorced? Should they be damned to hell for that?

The catholic church, instead of standing by its long held assertions, caved. They admitted that they were wrong about so many things. Ergo, they are not controlled or guided by a prefect god!

Location hidden

#405663 Nov 28, 2012
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that's what it says, do you have the Bible verses Robert?
marge good friend

A good place to start might be I Peter 4:6

" For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#405664 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael
Just curious Robert.

For months you referred to me as "Michael good friend" I noticed you don't do that anymore. Interesting??

How do you determine who is a good friend and who isn't? Please don't tell me its based on what ones religious belief is.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#405665 Nov 28, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Education! Just think about how things were just 40 years ago. How much outside influence did most children have? a few channels on TV, school, and family friends. Now how much do they have?
catholic mass was done in Latin, fish was eaten on Friday, purgatory was a 'real' place, a divorce and following in love with a non-catholic meant excommunication! None of which has its basis in the bible.
Today, kids are exposed to the internet and all that comes with it. How many tv channels do you get? 200? 300? How many of them are movie channels that show R rated movies, any time of the day. How many people are divorced? Should they be damned to hell for that?
The catholic church, instead of standing by its long held assertions, caved. They admitted that they were wrong about so many things. Ergo, they are not controlled or guided by a prefect god!
The black sheep....says

......catholic mass was done in Latin, fish was eaten on Friday, purgatory was a 'real' place, a divorce and following in love with a non-catholic meant excommunication! None of which has its basis in the bible.

....add a few more, church only traditions, clergy were only referred to by their title and LAST name not Father Billy or Father Tommy, priests drove ONLY black cars, and all the nuns wore only habits.

we have come a long way baby!

As you say today we have availability of information that we could only dream about 20 years ago. We can learn off line anything a priest learns in the seminary ourselves. We can now question what we didn't know about before.

The past two generations for the first time in our history people are not afraid to ask questions about their belief. I remember in catholic grade school even in grade 1 when I would ask the nun or other teachers things we were being taught in religion and they would all scream back "JUST BELIEVE IT"!!!

That is not what educated people accept today. They want answers and they are not afraid to ask. The way it should be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min Clearwater 176,531
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 7 min Cyndytv 322
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 11 min Justice League 3,585
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 13 min karl44 442,887
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min nanoanomaly 828,803
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 44 min TRD 121,666
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 56 min Nina Nina 96
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 59 min Mary T 611,835
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 16 hr Rosa_Winkel 98,992
More from around the web