Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646960 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#405711 Nov 29, 2012
continued to GIF

(3) this will suit the connection, and accord with the design of the

apostle. He was addressing those who were suffering persecution. It was

natural, in such a connection, to refer to those who had died in the

faith, and to show, for their encouragement, that though they had been put

to death, yet they still lived to God. He therefore says, that the design

in publishing the gospel to them was, that though they might be judged by

people in the usual manner, and put to death, yet that in respect to their

higher and nobler nature, the spirit, they might live unto God. It was not

uncommon nor unnatural for the apostles, in writing to those who were

suffering persecution, to refer to those who had been removed by death,

and to make their condition and example an argument for fidelity and

perseverance. Compare 1 Thessalonians 4:13; Revelation 14:13.

That they might be judged according to men in the flesh - That is, so far

as people are concerned,(κ&#945 ;τα&#768 ; ἀν θρω ́πο υς kata anthrōpous,) or in respect to

the treatment which they received from people in the flesh, they were

judged and condemned; in respect to God, and the treatment which they

received from him,(κα& #964;ὰ Θεο ̀ν kata Theon,) they would live in spirit.

People judged them severely, and put them to death for their religion; God

gave them life, and saved them. By the one they were condemned in the

flesh - so far as pain, and sorrow, and death could be inflicted on the

body; by the other they were made to live in spirit - to be his, to live

with him. The word "judged" here, I suppose, therefore, to refer to a

sentence passed on them for their religion, consigning them to death for

it. There is a particle in the original - μὲ ν men, "indeed" - which has

not been retained in the common translation, but which is quite important

to the sense: "that they might indeed be judged in the flesh, but live,"

etc. The direct object or design of preaching the gospel to them was not

that they might be condemned and put to death by man, but this was indeed

or in fact one of the results in the way to a higher object.

But live according to God - In respect to God, or so far as he was

concerned. By him they would not be condemned. By him they would be made

to live - to have the true life. The gospel was preached to them in order

that so far as God was concerned, so far as their relation to him was

concerned, so far as he would deal with them, they might live. The word

live here seems to refer to the whole life that was the consequence of

their being brought under the power of the gospel:

contiued
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#405712 Nov 29, 2012
continued: yes I used several sights off the URL links til I found what I was wanting get across.

(a) that they might have spiritual life imparted to them;

(b) that they might live a life of holiness in this world;

(c) that they might live hereafter in the world to come.

In one respect, and so far as people were concerned, their embracing the

gospel was followed by death; in another respect, and so far as God was

concerned, it was followed by life. The value and permanence of the

latter, as contrasted with the former, seems to have been the thought in

the mind of the apostle in encouraging those to whom he wrote to exercise

patience in their trials, and to show fidelity in the service of their

master.

In the spirit - In their souls, as contrasted with their body. In respect

to that - to the flesh - they were put to death; in respect to their souls

- their higher natures - they were made truly to live. The argument, then,

in this verse is, that in the trials which we endure on account of

religion, we should remember the example of those who have suffered for

it, and should remember why the gospel was preached to them. It was in a

subordinate sense, indeed, that they might glorify God by a martyr's

death; but in a higher sense, that in this world and the next they might

truly live. The flesh might suffer in consequence of their embracing the

gospel that was preached to them, but the soul would live. Animated by

their example, we should be willing to suffer in the flesh, if we may for

ever live with God.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
Was the Gospel preached also to them that are dead - This is a most

difficult verse; the best translations I have seen of it are the

following:-

"For this indeed was the effect of the preaching of the Gospel to the

dead,(the unconverted Gentiles), that some will be punished as carnal

men; but others,(those converted to Christianity), lead a spiritual life

unto God." - Wakefield.

"For this purpose hath the Gospel been preached even to the dead,(i.e.

the Gentiles), that although they might be condemned, indeed, by men in

the flesh,(their persecutors), yet they might live eternally by God in

the Spirit." - Macknight.

In other words they were dead in their sins and for those who put there

trust and faith in Christ will be redeemed from shilou/grave. In the

second death when Christ destrys them for a final time and they perish the

smoke of their torment goes up forever and they cease to exist. That is

their eternal grave.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#405713 Nov 29, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says.
Mat_18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Upon the above words of Jesus...We agree with you in prayer for Hermi's healing and complete restoration of His health.
In Jesus name
Amen
The Bible says.

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Do you concur?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405714 Nov 29, 2012
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston asked me last time why I brought up osas and he even said we should drop it because it doesn't accomplish anything because we disagree on it....so I did and haven't talked about it since then.
and here we are again...
Glad you spoke with Preston....

This is between you and him...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405715 Nov 29, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth good friend
Yes. Jesus did have the Authority.
I think the point is here that the thief was repentent. And he accepted Jesus as blameless, that they both were going to die, and wanted to be remembered when Jesus came into His Kingdom....
This is the the essence of Christian belief, in Jesus Christ as our salvation.
Yes, because of his belief and repentance, I believe Jesus saved him (forgiving his sins) as Jesus had the authority to forgive sins on earth.....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405716 Nov 29, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not live my life depending on quotes from the bible.
If going 5 mph over the speed limit is a sin then thats about all I have done wrong in the last while.
If you have sin, why not share it with us? You are willing to share it with a stranger in the confessional, why not share it with us, your friends?
So sorry Michael....I don't use a confessional...but you are welcome to use one if you so desire....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405717 Nov 29, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Truth"
If you can’t lose your salvation, why is Satan STILL tempting you today??????????
We don't even have to bring OSAS into the picture for that one. Satan tempts people because IF they fall for it, and do wrong:
(1)They shame God before people.
(2)They hurt others.
(3)They bring pain and/or death upon themselves.
KayMarie
Sorry, KayMarie, they won't believe you though....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405718 Nov 29, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
You just can't admit that there are other ways to achieve salvation, unless it is the way you think.
Your comprehension of other beliefs, understanding their roles in people's lives, and why individuals CHOOSE to believe the way they do, is far more lacking than many, yet your arrogance won;t allow you to admit it.
Move past the words and understand their meanings.
And why happens when you follow a different gospel message.....

Galatians 1:6-7

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—

7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.

In which you refuse to believe that you are following a different gospel....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405719 Nov 29, 2012
<quoted text>
To think you know what it takes to be saved, is arrogant, feeble-minded and dishonest.
No.....

It is called being a disciple of Christ...a follower of Christ......

You are the one being dishonest with yourself....
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#405720 Nov 29, 2012
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.
**This verse has nothing to do with osas and I never said it did. The verse isn't even talking about christians.
Do you know how many times OSAS followers slung that bible verse at me? My heart wants to believe they didn't know it had nothing to do with OSAS. But I'm not so sure. Some of ya don't have a problem with manipulating scripture to win an argument because you think its for the greater good.
The 'greater good' of course would be saving of Catholics from the Catholic Church. Too bad everyone has to lie to accomplish this.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405721 Nov 29, 2012
<quoted text>
Citation please.
....Or probably more accurately, this will be another post that you skip by, or change the topic, or some other diversion tactic to avoid answering.
In honesty, you should change your name to one that is more appropriate for your responses.
TRUTH hurts doesn't it.....lol....

Satan's temptations or attacks.....

Job 2:4-7

4 “Skin for skin!” Satan replied.“A man will give all he has for his own life.

5 But now stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

6 The Lord said to Satan,“Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life.”

7 So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the crown of his head.

Job 2:9-10

9 His wife said to him,“Are you still maintaining your integrity? Curse God and die!”

10 He replied,“You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”

In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405722 Nov 29, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Which brings us back around full circle to the issue os WHAT IS THE GOSPEL. Can you lay it out for me? That is probably the area of misunderstanding.
Common on 4GVN...you still don't know what the gospel is besides the good news....

That's Bible 101...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405723 Nov 29, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Then what does baptism do? And what does gaurantee salvation?
Still haven't figured it out yet, I see...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405724 Nov 29, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
preston
I agree.
Also the order doesn't have an effectiveness. By that I mean an infant can be baptised, but latter be born again....He does not have to be baptised again in water.(Some feel called to do so, usually as a call to become part of a congregation.)
But its like circumcision. You can only have it done once.
Robert,

Sorry.....this makes no sense...

What is baptism for??? Forgiveness of sins...wash away your sins....

So if you are baptized as an infant...what sins have you committed???? Plus, you MUST CONFESS with YOUR MOUTH...how can an infant do that.....

So as you grow and get older and SIN, what happens with these sins???? You retain them and still in a lost state....outside of Christ.....

And, you are IN NEED to be BAPTIZED for the forgiveness of your sins.....BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM....INTO HIS DEATH, BURIAL, AND RESURRECTION....does an infant have the knowledge of how IMPORTANT this ACTION is????

Common now....
Father Free Mind

Eaton Park, FL

#405725 Nov 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says.
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
Do you concur?
I agree.

I may not understand the morality behind it, but if the Bible is unerring, then I must agree.

Now I just have to rationalize the (supposed) immorality of slavery and why neither Father nor Son spoke out against it.

I can do that.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405726 Nov 29, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
preston
I agree.
Also the order doesn't have an effectiveness. By that I mean an infant can be baptised, but latter be born again....He does not have to be baptised again in water.(Some feel called to do so, usually as a call to become part of a congregation.)
But its like circumcision. You can only have it done once.
Robert,

Think about it....if we have NOT crucified the flesh, we are not of Christ.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#405727 Nov 29, 2012
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much ,Pad, for your kind words.From the heart thank all of you that pryed for me. I had a very close call. My wife kept me up yo date on who0 here were praying for me, who here was emailing her, etc, and helped me immensely to get through.I still am on oxygen, but I am home. he lung disease I have is not as serious as what the previous doctors diagnosed.At first the other doctor thought I had contracted something rare that can get progressively worse and can often be terminal.The disease they diagnosed is not terminal though it has a pretty long period of rehabilitation.
This is the fourth life our Saviour has given me. First when I was born, second when I was told I had cancer, the third was this last bout, and the fourth, most important life He gave me was a new life in Him.
Its hard to express my gratitude to so many. Please know that I know each of your kindnesses and that they filled my heart.
Please know that the Lord, our God and Saviour is very real. Thank you Son of David for having mercy on me a sinner.May the uthor of Life cotinue to shed His mercy and compassionate bliessinmgs on you all.
Praise the Lord!!!

We are so glad that you are feeling better, Hermi...

You will still be in our prayers....

Blessings!!!
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#405728 Nov 29, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how many times OSAS followers slung that bible verse at me? My heart wants to believe they didn't know it had nothing to do with OSAS. But I'm not so sure. Some of ya don't have a problem with manipulating scripture to win an argument because you think its for the greater good.
The 'greater good' of course would be saving of Catholics from the Catholic Church. Too bad everyone has to lie to accomplish this.
When have I lied Clay...show me.
Father Free Mind

Eaton Park, FL

#405729 Nov 29, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? There is no mystery why people are leaving the Church. The Vatican is not in a dilema. And there won't be any turnaround either. At least, not on the Vaticans end. How many times do we have to tell you. The Catholic Church isn't dictated my popular opinion or cultural influence. Protestants are.
America and Europe are walking away from Catholicism (and many other moral structures too) Africa and South America are not.
The Church aint going away no matter what. Your great great grandkids will have come and gone mike, and the Church will still be standing with little or no change from the current doctrine.
The Catholic Church is most certainly dictated my popular opinion or cultural influence.

Admittedly, it does so slowly and with caution.

Over 50,000 "carefully investigated" annulments in the USA alone. That's a 1000% change from just 50 years ago.

Vatican 2 was a huge change. Heck, even Protestants can be saved. That's a 100% change in former stated doctrine (Papal Bulls and Vatican Counsels).

Have the rituals and sacraments remained unchanged? There have certainly been fundamental changes in the Mass. Lay women can now deliver and administer the Eucharist!

You shouldn't fret too much about the changes. But denial is absurd.
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#405730 Nov 29, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says.
Do you concur?
You're reading the bible thru the eyes of Protestantism. Read it thru the eyes of the Catholic Church. You will see its not meant to be a word for word literal translation. In fact, it never was like that until some knuckle heads came along and took our Bible and beat us over the head with it. These people are nomads.
The books that make up the Bible are inspired by God (we believe), using human thought with divine insights . The writers used LANGUAGE AND CULTURE from their own time period to paint a picture of God for the reader. Slavery is mentioned at times, simply because people around that time had slaves. The writer mentioned slaves because that was the normal speak.
God chose to let humanity figure out that slavery was wrong. In His eyes, we're all slaves anyway. Slaves to sin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Buck Crick 49,461
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 22 min KellyP in Jersey 2,111
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 56 min Steve III 44,724
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 281,290
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 618,565
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr karl44 105,685
Why Australians should fear Muslims? (Feb '15) 2 hr MUQ2 28
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr ChristineM 445,753
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr The Hangman 971,805
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 7 hr WasteWater 27
More from around the web