Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Jul 10, 2007 Read more: CBC News 582,887
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#405424 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I responded 5 times head on. This one, I strayed off topic (sort of).
Look, I understand no matter what, you'll never agree with any Catholic on our beliefs. Your set in your interpretations and that's that.
I sincerely hope your correct for teaching the way you do. But I'm going to point out that its new, and not what the Apostles taught.
Its not just Baptism either, you folks changed many teachings that have been there from day one. Like the Eucharist, sola fide, sola scripture.
You believe that it is new. I believe that it is as old as the apostles and the scriptures.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#405425 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that mean any of us can open up a religion and say that?
Heck, if it ain't in the Bible, then I can do it.
Im going to start Clayism. Its truth.
It aint? Show me where God specifically says that Clayism is heresy?
Diversion.

But I'll answer your question, because I can be honest with others, unlike you.

"Im going to start Clayism. Its truth.
It aint? Show me where God specifically says that Clayism is heresy?"
- Great! have at it.
- BTW - "God" never said it was heresy.
+ What will be your "mission statement"? You gotta have a mission statement, ya know!
+ Who will be the main belief centered upon? You can't have a religion without one.
+ Will you have a Pope too?
+ Some religions have "steps" that individuals take to acquire "knowledge" (gnosis)
http://www.bridgemanart.com/asset/202531/Span... {%22url%22%3A%22\%2Fsearch\%2F artist\%2FSpanish-School-16th- century-after\%2F26160%22%2C%2 2num_results%22%3A%226%22%2C%2 2search_type%22%3A%22creator_a ssets%22%2C%22creator_id%22%3A %2226160%22%2C%22item_index%22 %3A0}

Looks like you have some work to do before you can complete your mission.

Do you think it will draw followers?

Good luck!

Albuquerque, NM

#405426 Nov 27, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
What does this "Satan" look like"
You might perchance .. look in the mirror...and get some idea of satans appearance.
Funny you say that, because when I look in the mirror, I resemble Jesus - long flowing brown hair, goatee, beautiful eyes (so my wife says).

Can't answer another question, huh?

Still thinking that diversion is the best tactic to use, huh?

Do you know how to be honest?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#405427 Nov 27, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't. It actually shows you, a so-called believer in Jesus, how the hypocrisy of your belief is.
Out of one side of your mouth you say "I believe in Jesus", then out the other side you say, "except for those teachings not in the Bible."
- this is hypocrisy.
Now when I say those things above, I also have explained them. If you want to find that information out, you'll have to go back and research it through the posts. I stated it already - I'm through repeating that which you don't understand.
<quoted text>
No, Jesus founded a body of believers in what he taught.
You are not part of that body, because you don't believe in Jesus and what he taught.
<quoted text>
Another issue we've gone over.
Like you say above, the so-called "Church" has never been defined.
I agree - it has not.
<quoted text>
I do not believe in organized religion. I think it is a scam to undercut society of money, power, and the power for individuals to take responsibility.
You may joke all you want about where we will go or not go, but in fair warning, it will happen and it probably will not be as you have expected.
<quoted text>
Through understanding what belief is, how it affects my life, and how will it make me a better person.
You?
<quoted text>
Really? Is this your mentality for others who believe differently.
It sounds like you are projecting a fantasy. Get a room.
<quoted text>
Normally, when someone doesn't know what something is, they go research it. Did you fail in school, thus are having problems now learning?
Quote of the day - "Public libraries are free."
I don't mean to poke fun at you. So i apologize.
You have to remember, 95% of this forum is Catholics defending the Catholic faith from attacks. Most of the time, people are telling us what we believe, not asking us. I try to not insult other faiths while I am steadfastly defending mine.
I will read more into Gnosticism to get a better understanding of that faith. I am forever a Catholic, so there is no danger for me to learn what others believe. I did that with all the other faiths represented here...sorry i skipped over yours.
truth

Perth, Australia

#405428 Nov 27, 2012
life..o well why water and salt not need..for what?
bless water is good..bless salt too..but you need know..where is life..deth don't have place..Creator left like that..
time for this and that
as you see time for days as well night

see
Are you pro-life or pro-death?
Everything have place.

In future will be more day then 2.5x toward 3day then night.
''Sine moj negrijesi duse svoje''
''po dusi si spasen''

Albuquerque, NM

#405429 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I been doing a little reading on Gnosticism. It seems scholars are not convinced the Gospel of Thomas was written by the Apostle himself but rather, by Gnostic leaders yrs later.
Same with the Gospel of Judas. It is believed to have been penned sometime in the second century by.....you guessed it. Men.
If that is true, your 'why do you follow the teachings of men' thing is a bit ironic.
Also, I read the Gospel of Thomas. I would have to agree that it wasn't written by a guy who hung around the other 12 Apostles. It's too different.....almost like a kid wrote it. Poor wording and analogy. Definitely not something I would think the Holy Spirit inspired. Scholars believe it was one of the Gnostic leaders impersonating the Apostle Thomas. I don't think i can argue with them.
Anyway, I love learning about all religions. I didnt arrive at Catholicism thru indoctrination (although that is how i was first introduced to it.
I actually researched many different faiths before deciding to stick with the Catholic faith.
So far, Im not impressed with Gnosticism.
"Ye of little faith...."

That fits you well.

"A little reading" will get you "a little information".

"So far, Im not impressed with Gnosticism."
- I never asked for your impression, but you couldn't resist with giving it, huh? Well, well...there is a sign of the mind working after all.

Good for you.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#405430 Nov 27, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Going against the Word of God...
Do you find it just a mite hypocritical to come on here and act like you are this wise christian who knows the truth and are going to tell everyone whats what, when in fact you do not even attend or support or even identify with Christ's church? Does the word of God tell us that we should attend and support the church? Until you resolve this sin in your own life, please spare me the hypocritical analysis of everyones beliefs and your false teachings on those matters. Thx.
truth

Perth, Australia

#405431 Nov 27, 2012
''they teach you death will be diminish''

2.5-3x day as light will be then night..

12 3 6 9=o'clock=time
How much will be save..meaning about what?

1/4
where east west south north
12-3
3-6
6-9
9-12
who where how which side flip flop flip flop..

Albuquerque, NM

#405432 Nov 27, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.
And you were baptized as an infant, not as an adult, and (probably) in the Roman Rite, rather than an Eastern Rite or Orthodox.
Read the post again.
Rob
Exactly my point. This forum isn't about the Orthodox, but the RCC.

Maybe you should reread the forum title and article again.

And if you had grasped my point, Anthony, posited that "Confirmation is the strengthening", yet stopped there.

Although I asked him what happens next.

As you can see, he chose not to answer.

You on the other hand, tried to sway the discussion to some other point, like Clay.

What comes after the "strengthening" of being Confirmed? To Anthony, he seems to think that something still occurs. I asked what that "something" is.

As you can see, we are still waiting on an answer.

My guess, it requires Self to be active in a pious life. Yeah, Self, you know, like yourself.

Thus no religion is required - yet again.

Too hard for you to believe, huh?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#405433 Nov 27, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>You believe that it is new. I believe that it is as old as the apostles and the scriptures.
Then it should be easy for you to show how the first Christians believed as you do now.
The first Christians wrote many things too. It's interesting to read their letters and sermons to find out what they believed. Some actually were taught directly by the mouths of the Apostles.

I can't find where they taught anything about Faith Alone, Scripture alone, Eucharist as 'just a symbol', Baptism not being necessary...

In fact, i see the exact opposite. Doesn't that alarm you one bit?

I don't think its smart to play dumb on this. If what you say is truth, then you should be able to present something to back it up.
You can't isolate verse verse verse and say "look, John was teaching this". The fact is, John made it clear what he was teaching. That's how his students came to shape the Church.
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#405434 Nov 27, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
An after-thought to the qualifiers.
If Tony has listed them in the order you think exists, then that would make you both Orthodox.
I wasn't raised Orthodox, but Anglican.
Does it cause you concern that I pointed out the difference?
It shouldn't, because the rituals are to show devotion to your organization more so than to an individual's salvation, if one is to understand why you had to point it out.
No, I pointed it out because you tried to assert that you knew the sacraments better than Anthony, and you don't.
While you are correct that the normal order for a person baptized as an infant would be:
1. Baptism (The gateway sacrament, which must precede all others)
2. Reconciliation (Auricular Confession), at the age if reason.
3. Holy Communion, shortly after first confession.
4. Confirmation. Often around age 14, but it varies from diocese to diocese.

Since Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation (and was probably once done at the same time as baptism, and perhaps even considered part of the same sacrament), there is talk about moving it to BEFORE Holy Communion, at perhaps age 7 or thereabouts.
If you don't know something, you really ought to ask.
.And you really ought to ask, a bit more often, if you really know something.
Rob
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#405435 Nov 27, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I dislike this analogy but we've used it before.
Catholic 'free gift';
Jesus gives you a Christmas present, He gives it out of love for you, no conditions, no strings attached. It's a nicely wrapped race car. You accept the present. You open the box. You put in the batteries (which He supplied with the present). You turn it on and learn how to operate it using the instructions He gave. You run it on the race track and get to the finish line.
Evangelical fundamentalist 'free gift';
Jesus gives you a Christmas present, He gives it out of love for you, no conditions, no strings attached. It's a nicely wrapped race car. You accept the present. You say 'thanks' and leave it unwrapped and in the box.
Spam. Inaccurate and silly. The GIFT that Jesus gives us is FORGIVENESS. And it is recieved with thanksgiving. And THEN (pay attention) after the gift has been recieved(which is Christ in us(the Holy Spirit) THEN ....THEN THEN begins to work in our hearts to mold us into the image of Christ. Then HE begins to guide and direct our thoughts and actions. I honestly don't understand why you can not at least understand what I am telling you over and over and over, even if you don't chose to accept it? sigh..........

Albuquerque, NM

#405436 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mean to poke fun at you. So i apologize.
You have to remember, 95% of this forum is Catholics defending the Catholic faith from attacks. Most of the time, people are telling us what we believe, not asking us. I try to not insult other faiths while I am steadfastly defending mine.
I will read more into Gnosticism to get a better understanding of that faith. I am forever a Catholic, so there is no danger for me to learn what others believe. I did that with all the other faiths represented here...sorry i skipped over yours.
Thank you Clay, now didn't that feel much better?

We all make mistakes, but not all of us are honest enough to own them, and move on.

I have no worries that you and I can continue to discuss openly when presenting our positions. It's the ones that can't support their position (those who fail to do the research)- are the ones that seem to have personal issues with me.

Religion is a personal matter - no organization is required.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#405437 Nov 27, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>YOU DON"T KNOW? YOU the GREAT CATHOLIC SCHOLAR? Are you serious. Let me ask you another way. Is there ANY OTHER WAY TO GET TO HEAVEN b;ut by the BLOOD OF JESUS AND HIS SACRIFICE AT CALVERY? And do you think God would have require the sacrifice of His only Son if there was any other way??????????
I AM serious when it comes to "not playing" your bible only question and answer merry-go-round game of "Protestant confusion and chaos. Like I said before--go ask God to get an answer your question! If that doesn't work then I am sure that you will ask your two Protestant propaganda heretics--Ron Rhodes and James McCarthy--to fill you in on their mission of distorting the TRUTH of the bible and of Apostolic Church History. These two "clowns" fit in very nicely into your anti-catholic (3 ring circus) dog and pony show!!!

Albuquerque, NM

#405438 Nov 27, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I pointed it out because you tried to assert that you knew the sacraments better than Anthony, and you don't.
While you are correct that the normal order for a person baptized as an infant would be:
Since Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation (and was probably once done at the same time as baptism, and perhaps even considered part of the same sacrament), there is talk about moving it to BEFORE Holy Communion, at perhaps age 7 or thereabouts.
Rob
No - that would be you projecting and thinking I don't know what I am talking about.

Making assumptions has always been one of the problems with Christianity, and you have seem to encapsulate it completely.

Maybe in the future, before you make an assumption about someone, you should ask them directly for clarification, instead of thinking you know the answer.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#405439 Nov 27, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> Spam. Inaccurate and silly. The GIFT that Jesus gives us is FORGIVENESS. And it is recieved with thanksgiving. And THEN (pay attention) after the gift has been recieved(which is Christ in us(the Holy Spirit) THEN ....THEN THEN begins to work in our hearts to mold us into the image of Christ. Then HE begins to guide and direct our thoughts and actions. I honestly don't understand why you can not at least understand what I am telling you over and over and over, even if you don't chose to accept it? sigh..........
I get what you guys are saying. That's not the issue.
The issue is whether or not we can give the gift back to Christ. We say a person can receive the Holy Spirit; experience the love and mercy of God.; then later reject Our Lord and choose sin.

You say, those people never received the gift then.

Right?
Clay

Chicago, IL

#405440 Nov 27, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Rob
What? The Church is talking about moving Confirmation to about 7 yrs old? I don't think I like that idea. Although, I definitely knew right and wrong at that age... It still seams too young. I think the kids would be pressured to much to participate in it.
Are you for it?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#405441 Nov 27, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I get what you guys are saying. That's not the issue.
The issue is whether or not we can give the gift back to Christ. We say a person can receive the Holy Spirit; experience the love and mercy of God.; then later reject Our Lord and choose sin.
You say, those people never received the gift then.
Right?
What I am saying Clay is that hte scriptures tell us that we are 'supernaturally born into God's family'....YOU cn=an't undo a birth. Scripture says that we are "sealed by the HOLY SPIRIT onto the day of redemption". How long is that Clay? We are told in scripture that " HE who has began a work in us will no doubt see it through to its completion" That is what I bae my faith on. If you care to refute any of these passages, feel free. Now can you show me a scripture that tells of anyone giving the gift back?
preston

Waverly, OH

#405442 Nov 27, 2012
not only are some people on here fooled bythe satire of Onion, the N koreans were too.lol

China, as one Twitter user wrote Tuesday, has been fooled by the "mysterious Western art of satire."

The merciless comedy website The Onion has declared North Korean leader Kim Jong Un the "sexiest man alive for 2012." And it appears China's People's Daily Online has taken the story seriously.

"I love this one," Onion editor Will Tracy told CNN. "It has a certain delightfulness to it."

The Chinese story reprinted satirical comments describing Kim's "air of power that masks an unmistakable cute, cuddly side," his "impeccable fashion sense, chic short hairstyle, and," the story says, "that famous smile."

A Chinese state-run site was fooled Tuesday by a satirical story that declared North Korea's Kim Jong Un the "sexiest man alive."The story on People's Daily Online illustrates the mutual backscratching that China and North Korea exercise through their government-run media. The incident also shows foreign media outlets' difficulty in navigating The Onion's brand of satire.

Tracy said he's not surprised when legitimate news sites fall for his high-level tomfoolery, but this was the first time The Onion had named a "sexiest man alive." "We knew it would get a response," he said "but we didn't expect it would get life from abroad."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/27/world/asia/nort...
preston

Waverly, OH

#405443 Nov 27, 2012
In September, an Onion satire fooled Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency. Fars published an Onion story claiming that a Gallup poll found that rural white Americans preferred Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad over President Barack Obama.

The Onion never writes its stories with the intention of fooling government agencies, Tracy said. But "it's great when it happens. We hope it happens more often."

This prank, he said with obvious glee, may turn out to be the legendary Onion fake story that veterans will talk about for years to come. "We essentially just fooled the government of China."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Happy Lesbo 825,862
ac compressor diagnose 10 min lightbeamrider 2
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min Freebird USA 176,373
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 27 min Chess Jurist 442,484
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 32 min lightbeamrider 70,128
New Hip Hop TV Channel 1 hr coolnewmusic 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 98,832
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr Senecus 611,755
More from around the web