Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 695341 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#405556 Nov 28, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? I think it's absurd, but how do you know? Some early church father certainly felt Jesus meant what he said.
OK, where is a comprehensive list of Jesus' commands?
"Q" source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_source

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Gospel-Christi...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#405557 Nov 28, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I been doing a little reading on Gnosticism. It seems scholars are not convinced the Gospel of Thomas was written by the Apostle himself but rather, by Gnostic leaders yrs later.
Same with the Gospel of Judas. It is believed to have been penned sometime in the second century by.....you guessed it. Men.
If that is true, your 'why do you follow the teachings of men' thing is a bit ironic.
Also, I read the Gospel of Thomas. I would have to agree that it wasn't written by a guy who hung around the other 12 Apostles. It's too different.....almost like a kid wrote it. Poor wording and analogy. Definitely not something I would think the Holy Spirit inspired. Scholars believe it was one of the Gnostic leaders impersonating the Apostle Thomas. I don't think i can argue with them.
Anyway, I love learning about all religions. I didnt arrive at Catholicism thru indoctrination (although that is how i was first introduced to it.
I actually researched many different faiths before deciding to stick with the Catholic faith.
So far, Im not impressed with Gnosticism.
Clay
Peace

I too did a little research into Gnosticism, and its post-modern, New Age view....

Yes. Those "Gospels" are written by Gnostics. One simply has to read and see how foreign they are to Jesus and the Jewish writings of his day. They are affected more by Syrian and Persian writers.

It is pointless to try and reconcile Gnosticism to Christianity. Though it may be a good teaching lesson, and understanding one's own faith.

The main point is that Chrisitianity has faith in the person of Jesus. Gnosticism has faith in the teachings of Jesus( and some sense of perception of them). So Gnosticism attacks the person, where Christianity elevates the person of Jesus.

The resolution of Gnosticism is a sense of peace with Creation. The Christian finds resolution in the New Creation, Kingdom of Heaven.

For the Christian the old is passing away, and it goes into darkness....The Gnostic is going into darkness without knowing it.

Albuquerque, NM

#405558 Nov 28, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chuck, we all disagree on everything. In 300 thousand posts, I don't think anything has been accomplished.
OSAS is picked as a topic a lot, probably because its so easy to debunk. And also, because its a scary and dangerous approach to Christianity. Therefore, it needs to be tackled head on. Many many souls have been lost, thinking they were saved, because you all instilled in them a doctrine that washed their hands of wrong doing.
What did Tupac Shakur mom say at his funeral? It was something like, "my baby is with Jesus now. He is in a better place."
Really? Nothing in his life had anything to do with Christ. He may have said "I would like to thank God" at the Grammy awards. It doesn't mean nothing.
He's just an example of countless other people who were given false hope by this false doctrine.
Now, can't you see why the devil would love OSAS so much. He's got you right where he wants you.
One would have to prove that an entity called "Satan" exists in order to make this claim.

Can you provide your evidence of such an entity?

I prefer videos, voice recordings, and photographs, and/or non-bias links (non-secular).

Thanks!
_BobLoblah_

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#405559 Nov 28, 2012
Clay wrote:
Oh ok. Soyou're an Australian? Well that explains allot. Lol.
29Nov12.....

.....Nope...

Ps:.....and jest vot's haul dis 'Lol' business anyveys.

By da vey, BobLoblah is Not Australian.

However, there is more brains in an Australian's bowel movement than in your whole body.

BobLoblah believes dat ven it comes to you 'dicKlay', there's more brains in a bottle of water.

No..Lols.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#405560 Nov 28, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>she will not care, the longer the day, the better she feels, aint that right marge?lol
and people know what I am talking about.
Get thee behind me, SATAN.
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#405561 Nov 28, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You "already" know the answer 4GVN....Quit trying to "bait" Catholics and other Christians into your (Rhodes/McCarthy) heretical "bible only" question and answer "3 ring circus game"! Your Protestant (contradicting) "personal opinion" answers are a "total waste of time"! Study the Catholic Catechism if you "really want to know" the TRUTH of the TRUE interpretation of the Bible. But we, as Catholics, ALL KNOW that you won't do that--because you would rather live in world of "half-truth, half-heresy" Christianity in which your "personal opinions" are the (final authority)--just like the rest of your 42,000+ inconsistent and conflicting bible only Protestants believe!!
But you obviously DON'T know. Too silly to dialog with. Go eat your cracker.

Albuquerque, NM

#405562 Nov 28, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Baptism doesn't guarantee salvation. No, I don't think the bad popes, if they died unrepentent, are in heaven. Many self-described 'born again' and 'saved' evangelicals are ungodly and unchristian. That's why belief in OSAS is so dangerous.
This is why that GOD is the judge. He knows the sheep from the wolves, regardless of the denomination they are in.
It is also why that WE should be Christians FIRST, and not be divided over whatever 'denomination' we are in. As one founding father of America declared: If we don't 'hang together', we will "HANG" separately.
The devil is anxious to hang us all...
KayMarie
Citations, please.

Why do you continue to say you know what "God" does and doesn't do?

Are you an emmisary of "God"? What credentials do you hold that qualifies you of this position?

According to your Bible, aren't you supposed to be quiet and not speak, unless you do to your husband at home?

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

Please go and take your place as instructed by "Paul".

Unless you want to refute this statement. If so, then you are now talking in-line with my posts - that Self is the controlling factor.

Well?

Albuquerque, NM

#405563 Nov 28, 2012
Common sense 'logic' does not supersede God's knowledge. The Bible says that satan showed Jesus "all the kingdoms of the world"...NOT all of the world. Kingdoms are not wood and stone. Can you see the kingdom of some nation? You may know that Bermuda was British territory, but no one...not even Bermudians could 'see' that kingdom. They only saw the results of its demands.
There is no 'fiction' there...only things you don't know yet.
KayMarie
And you are supposed to be silent, yet you still envoke you know the mind of "God".

Why are you dishonest and misleading?
Pad

Fishers, IN

#405564 Nov 28, 2012
who="Anthony MN"
"In short...."
Stirring up trouble again aren't you Kay? No, Catholics don't believe we are saved by any rituals. If you were sincere and not just a disingenuous trouble maker you'd know this. But thanks anyway.
Is your name 'trouble'?
Yes, you do believe in rituals. If some priest doesn't baptize you, then confirm you, then absolve you...you are lost, for sure. I listen to all of you, and at no time have I found you to say that 'Jesus died for me, so I trust FULLY IN HIS SACRIFICE FOR ME'.
I appreciate the pastor who baptized me, and those who pray for me. I love all those who teach me. But JESUS alone is my savior. The others are just 'helpers' to encourage my faith.
KayMarie
Kay Marie,you are talking to Catholics in 2012,a very candid group that view things much differently than their predecessors.American Catholics especially have heard our evangelical broadcasts on TV and the radio.Many have watched Billy Graham,and even some catholic bishops have encouraged their flocks to attend Billy Graham crusades in their cities when he came there.

The evangelical expression of Catholicism has been ignited by the era of Catholic Charismatic renewal,there is much evangelical fervor amongst priests,sisters in communities and brothers,many of the laity have been involed in the charismatic movement.We are on a thin line when we claim that Catholics today do not know the gospel,in its dynamic evangelical message of personal salvation and unique fellowship with Christ.

Neverthless,Catholics today are experiencing as well a surge of liberalism which threatens that evangelical revival as it were.The liberal factions are the many Catholics who are cultural but not transformed by the gospel.Our evangelical churches and fellowships major in transforming power of Christ,and we have done so ever since the Holy Spirit decided long ago to inspire men and women like the Apostles Peter and Paul,to preach a dynamic personal faith that seeks the continual exchanges of the heart from that of the flesh to that of the Spirit.It is difficult,but true.

Many Catholics have known that truth and for centuries,we can read about dynamic saints and laity who have been transformed by the Lord,all through Catholic history.nevertheless the Catholic church is plagued with several personalities,and each one fights for dominance.Now in this time the evangelical voice within Catholicism is fighting hard for the people to turnfrom their wicked ways,but the cultural Catholics who resist such attend mass regularly and consider themselves every wit Catholic,remain as a thorn in the flesh to the others.It will be interesting to see who will supersede the other,will it be the liberals and cultural Catholics,or will it be those who are evangelical in their practise of Catholicism?

Albuquerque, NM

#405565 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay
Peace
I too did a little research into Gnosticism, and its post-modern, New Age view....
Yes. Those "Gospels" are written by Gnostics. One simply has to read and see how foreign they are to Jesus and the Jewish writings of his day. They are affected more by Syrian and Persian writers.
It is pointless to try and reconcile Gnosticism to Christianity. Though it may be a good teaching lesson, and understanding one's own faith.
The main point is that Chrisitianity has faith in the person of Jesus. Gnosticism has faith in the teachings of Jesus( and some sense of perception of them). So Gnosticism attacks the person, where Christianity elevates the person of Jesus.
The resolution of Gnosticism is a sense of peace with Creation. The Christian finds resolution in the New Creation, Kingdom of Heaven.
For the Christian the old is passing away, and it goes into darkness....The Gnostic is going into darkness without knowing it.
(47) Jesus says:

(1) "It is impossible for a person to mount two horses and to stretch two bows.
(2) And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters. Else he will honor the one and insult the other.(3) No person drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine.
(4) And new wine is not put into old wineskins, so that they do not burst; nor is old wine put into (a) new wineskin, so that it does not spoil it.
(5) An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear will result."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

What you think is new is not, yet you promote it as such, to spoil it.

Similarily as in above, the "new wine" is not put into the "old wineskin" because the old wineskin will spoils it.

You should understand the "new wine" a little better, even though it appears you're drunk from the old.

(28) Jesus says:

(1) "I stood in the middle of the world, and in flesh I appeared to them.
(2) I found all of them drunk. None of them did I find thirsty.
(3) And my soul ached for the children of humanity,
because they are blind in their heart, and they cannot see;
for they came into the world empty,
(and) they also seek to depart from the world empty.
(4) But now they are drunk.
(But) when they shake off their wine, then they will change their mind."
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#405566 Nov 28, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't changed a thing.
"Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity."
"Those who die for the faith, those who are catechumens, and all those who, without knowing of the Church but acting under the inspiration of grace, seek God sincerely and strive to fulfill his will, can be saved even if they have not been baptized (cf. LG 16)."
Which brings us back around full circle to the issue os WHAT IS THE GOSPEL. Can you lay it out for me? That is probably the area of misunderstanding.
Pad

Fishers, IN

#405567 Nov 28, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay
Peace
I see that in the teachings of Mormonism and the Jehovah Witnesses.Actually Islam has elements of such.Gnosticism has been the virtual thorn in the flesh to Christians who KNOW their Lord for centuries.I know that Catholics think we evangelicals and prots have gnostic beliefs,which should be evaluated in order to make such a cliam.But that is far from the truth.

Rarely have I ever heard a minister of the gospel preach anything but Jesus Crucified and Risen.That Jesus is God Incarnate,He is truly God and Man.

To me it is a complete waste to believe that our Lord is something other than the Incarnate,Risen Lord who lives and reigns with us in the unity of the Holy Spirit. I have discussed these issues with JWs and have asked them,why do they settle for less?Not one has ever given me a response that would make me ever doubt the Holy Incarnation of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.All they can spew out is Lack of faith,and I challenge them to B E L I E V E, and ignite that faith in the Living Christ,Creator Blest!
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#405568 Nov 28, 2012
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston asked me last time why I brought up osas and he even said we should drop it because it doesn't accomplish anything because we disagree on it....so I did and haven't talked about it since then.
and here we are again...
Arguing over sure doesn't help their cause. Only an individual after coming to the truth concerning Yahweh and his only begotten son Jesus Christ can make that choice as to weather they believe or not. Denying Christ after knowledge of the truth is what causes one to loose their salvation. No man or institution can take away what God has ordained. We may suffer loss due to our actions and rewards based on those actions but if we confess our sins and ask forgiveness and hold true to the faith I beleieve one will be saved.
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#405569 Nov 28, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Baptism doesn't guarantee salvation. No, I don't think the bad popes, if they died unrepentent, are in heaven. Many self-described 'born again' and 'saved' evangelicals are ungodly and unchristian. That's why belief in OSAS is so dangerous.
Interesting. Then what do you believe was the state of the RCC during the reign of these ungodly men? Do you believe that a non-christian is indwelt with the holy Spirit? Do you believe that the Holy Spirit guides lost people? Do you believe that one of these lost,unchristian people could be the 'VICAR of CHRIST'?
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#405570 Nov 28, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what does baptism do? And what does gaurantee salvation?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#405571 Nov 28, 2012
who="New Age Spiritual Leader"
To think you know what it takes to be saved, is arrogant, feeble-minded and dishonest.

As all of your posts are telling others that 'they' are wrong, doesn't the above describe yourself?

KM
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#405572 Nov 28, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Mocking the Eucharist again. I'm sorry for you.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. It had nothing to do with your Eucharist. It is in regard to HOHO being a parrot.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#405573 Nov 28, 2012
who="4GVN" Then what does baptism do? And what does gaurantee salvation?

"BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ and you SHALL be saved."
"Shalt" in Greek is better interpreted 'MUST' or 'WILL HAVE TO BE'.
In other words, if you truly believe on Him, you MUST or WILL HAVE TO BE SAVED.

God doesn't make it impossible for us to 'come home'...

KayMarie
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#405574 Nov 28, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
One would have to prove that an entity called "Satan" exists in order to make this claim.
Can you provide your evidence of such an entity?
I prefer videos, voice recordings, and photographs, and/or non-bias links (non-secular).
Thanks!
I don't have any evidence. Now you threw me for a loop. Do you believe in God? I'm quite certain you don't have any videos or voice recordings.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#405575 Nov 28, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
HOJO says.......
The teachings, doctrine, biblical and historical TRUTH's in the Catholic Church are not based upon a "matter of opinion", taking a we know the bible errs. How else would you explain it HOJO?
If the bible errs, where does the fiction end and where then does the truth begin?
makes no common sense
The bible does not error! It may, at times, seem to contradict itself but that is because those "self-interpreting teachers, preachers and lay-people "pull and extract" bible verses out of context, to "make them mean ONLY what they want them to mean!" The TRUE INTERPRETATION OF the BIBLE was handed down to all Christians by the Early Church Fathers, who formed the Canon of Scripture in 382, 393, and 397 AD. The TRUTH begins with Jesus establishing HIS One True Church in Matthew 16:13-21, the same Church that is mentioned over 30 times in the New Testament---the same Church that begin with the 1st Church in Antioch--Acts 2--the same
Church that (again) is spoken of in Acts 2 as an authoritative, heirarchical, visible Church with Bishops, priests,deacons and elders---the same Church that was expanded (in Pauls writings) to Corrinth, Galacia, Ephesus, Colosse, Thessalonica and on and on recorded throughout Sacred Church History. The TRUTH begins with God, through His Son Jesus Christ (in the unity of the Holy Spirit)---then through Jesus' Church from the "unwritten word of Traditions" passed down by Jesus to His Apostles to the expansion of HIS One True Catholic Church--the Bride of Christ.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min NotSoDivineMsM 59,082
MESSAGE to Adam Lanza IN HELL 10 min Charles Bronson 13
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 31 min John B 472
Enough is Enough. Jehovahs Witnesses is a incid... (Oct '15) 32 min Comeonnow 2
1z0-808 Real Exam Dumps 51 min jhoniliver 1
1z0-808 Dumps Questions 54 min addison 1
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 2 hr Classic 4,494
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Feb 2018 994,022
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr youareaperv 446,240
More from around the web