Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589371 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#403357 Nov 18, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="LTM" Some understand praying in tongues to be a “secret code language” that prevents Satan and his demons from understanding our prayers and thereby gaining an advantage over us. This interpretation is unbiblical for the following reasons: 1) The New Testament consistently describes tongues as a human language. It is unlikely that Satan and his demons are unable to understand human languages. 2) The Bible records countless believers praying in their own language, out loud, with no concern of Satan intercepting the prayer. Even if Satan and/or his demons hear and understand the prayers we pray, they have absolutely no power to prevent God from answering the prayers according to His will. We know that God hears our prayers, and that fact makes it irrelevant whether Satan and his demons hear and understand our prayers.
Acts chapter 2 describes the first occurrence of the gift of tongues. On the day of Pentecost, the apostles spoke in tongues. Acts chapter 2 makes it clear that the apostles were speaking in a human language (Acts 2:6-8). The word translated “tongues” in both Acts chapter 2 and 1 Corinthians chapter 14 is glossa which means “language.” It is the word from which we get our modern English word “glossary.” Speaking in tongues was the ability to speak in a language the speaker does not know, in order to communicate the gospel to someone who does speak that language. In the multicultural area of Corinth, it seems that the gift of tongues was especially valuable and prominent. The Corinthians believers were able to better communicate the gospel and God’s Word as a result of the gift of tongues. However, Paul made it abundantly clear that even in this usage of tongues, it was to be interpreted or “translated”(1 Corinthians 14:13, 27). A Corinthian believer would speak in tongues, proclaiming God’s truth to someone who spoke that language, and then that believer, or another believer in the church, was to interpret what was spoken so that the entire assembly could understand what was said.
gotquestions.com
There is a difference in 'praying in the Spirit'(which Paul says he will do, though he does not understand what he says), and a Holy Ghost message to the church. Many people may be praying in the Spirit, and as their prayer may be personal, it is not necessary to interpret. They speak to God.
When a message is given to the church, it is plain to all that the speaker is addressing the body. This is to be interpreted, and he tells us to pray for the interpretation.(If it be a known language, why should I have to pray for its meaning?) I have witnessed whole congregations falling silent (even babies) when a message of this sort is given. He instructs that no more than three messages of this sort are to be given without an interpretation. Point being that if the Holy Spirit wishes to address the body, it would be rude to continue without seeking the interpretation.
Fifty years ago such manifestations were common. We do not see as much today because we are not 'tarrying' in prayer as they did in the Upper Room. All great revivals of history were a result of people gathering in prayer until they were "endued with power" as Jesus instructed.
KayMarie
Hi KM how are you doing. I agree with the gifts of the Spirit all of them.
I also believe speaking in tongues and the interpretation of tongues is to edify the church.
But as for a bunch of people crying and screaming out in church in jiber as Preston said I don't.
How can this possible be of God no one knows what anyone is saying, and is very disruptive to the body in the Church.
it just looks like a bunch of people escaped from the 999.
I have seen Pastor's behind a pulpit talking in "(HIS PRAYER LANGUAGE)" no one intrerpreted for him, how is the congregation suppose to know what this man says.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#403358 Nov 18, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>What to you think about someone who claims to be a pastor wishing God to find a place for another pastor to be there ?
Comments (Page 19,264)
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And, why would we care what Billy Graham has to say....
He is another false teacher...so you think it is fine to follow a false teacher....come on now...
Preston wrote:
lol, I just got home and the phone rang and it was a telemarketer who had a three question survey that they wanted me to answer.
and the first qustion was about billy graham and what he thought about something and did I agree or disagree, well of course since I cant stand Billy Graham, I hit that I disagreed with him and as soon as I did that, they hung up and I never got to hear the other two questions.
Now I will miss hours of sleep worrying about those other two questions about billy graham.
graham ought tokeep his nose out of politics and I will never forgive him for the ranting that he did against Israel.
May God find him a nice quite out of the way place in a hot community. where the sun never shines.
As I said,I could never wish anyone to hell.

I don't want to be in the middle your fussing with others.

I just gave my opinion.

Never fails,I give my opinion and then someone tries to bring me into ther debates.

I just sit here and shake my head at the things I read.

Old G say's he's a Baptist,I am a Missionary Baptist.

When your a Baptist claiming that your living for the Lord,you do not say the things he has been saying,period.

He is suppose to be representing the Baptist faith.

That's not the way we are,I'm sorry.

I'm the least of anyone on here,I'm not perfect,but I could never say the things he say's,especially when he talks nasty.

It's no wonder that when he talks about OSAS that everyone fusses with him.

If he doesn't feel condemned by the things he post,then one has to wonder.

I'm not his judge or anyone elses.

I do know that it's a repentant way.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#403359 Nov 18, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Your quote, "2> I do not believe in OSAS as I believe one can Grieve away the Holy Spirit in which we are sealed unto the day of redemtion." End quote.
How can a born again believer and follower of Jesus Christ "grieve away" the Holy Spirit and be sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption at the same time. It does not seem likely.
I stand corrected I may have to revaluate my stance on that after reading it again It does not say Grieve Away however we do grieve the Holy Spirit if one continue to live in bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, Stealing, Lying in other words not keeping the commandments of God.
May have to get back to you on that one it really a debate I was trying to avoid.

Ephesians 4

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

31 Let all, be put away from you, with all malice:

32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#403360 Nov 18, 2012
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Regina,did you have any other source of heat?
I bet it was cold up there.
We had a few really cold nights during that time.
Yeah, the burners on the stove. I know, I know, it's dangerous, but everybody around here was doing the same thing. It was too darned cold. I think I overdid it at first, the gas fumes were a bit much (lol), so I had to cut back on it, but still.. Then we got that Nor'easter about a week later which dumped a lot of heavy, wet snow and brought down more trees. It was all very apocalyptic.

Location hidden

#403361 Nov 18, 2012
Also 7th Day,
I don't believe that only Baptist will go to heaven.

If we are representing the Lord,we need to be careful what we say.

There are unbelievers on this forum.

Location hidden

#403362 Nov 18, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that the truth! Losing a child is a lot worse though. Your heart probably aches for him every day. You'll see him again, Karen. You and Mamaw Partin are right, it puts things into perspective. God bless her, may she and your son rest in God's peace.
Thank you Regina.

Oh I do miss him.

His birthday is the 20th.This Tuesday.

It's alway's hard.
Then comes Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The Holiday's have never been the same for me.

I also miss my Mamaw.
She taught me so much about the Lord.
She passed away in 1977.

Such a Godly woman.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#403363 Nov 18, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
With the subject at hand .. I don't think you should be 'rolling on the floor laughing out loud'!
Anyone who wishes another human being to eternal hell, is sick in the head. Period.
You don't agree?
Well, I wouldn't even wish the cultist clicking ... Johnny come lately Christians- to eternal hell. I love you all..
Whatever idiotic brand of the Roman Catholic Bible YOU choose to accept, is determined to be authoritative... Well ...lets see your credentials,
SDA? Who are you? Why should accept your opinion?
Exactly, get lost. You should not be steering children down some screwed up cult path..
The rotflol was at you on how you tried to rationalize or justify on scenario over the other.

Do YOU SEE NOW.

Location hidden

#403364 Nov 18, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, the burners on the stove. I know, I know, it's dangerous, but everybody around here was doing the same thing. It was too darned cold. I think I overdid it at first, the gas fumes were a bit much (lol), so I had to cut back on it, but still.. Then we got that Nor'easter about a week later which dumped a lot of heavy, wet snow and brought down more trees. It was all very apocalyptic.
Well,bless your heart.
At least you had gas.Whew! I don't even want to know how cold those Nor'easters are.
We have electric.If we had to,we have a wood stove in the basement that we could use.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#403365 Nov 18, 2012
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Regina I am truly glad to see you are save.
Sandy effected a lot of peoples lives.
Hi, Elaine! Thank you very much. I'm afraid a lot of people won't get back on their feet. One man called in to a radio show. He, his wife and child were living in their car. The hotels and shelters were full. Thankfully, someone called the radio station and offered to put them up in their home.

Location hidden

#403366 Nov 18, 2012
Good night y'all.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#403367 Nov 18, 2012
<quoted text>I stand corrected I may have to revaluate my stance on that after reading it again It does not say Grieve Away however we do grieve the Holy Spirit if one continue to live in bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, Stealing, Lying in other words not keeping the commandments of God.
May have to get back to you on that one it really a debate I was trying to avoid.
Ephesians 4
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Cross references to study out.

Genesis 6:6The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.
----------
Psalm 78:40How often they rebelled against him in the desert and grieved him in the wasteland!
----------
Isaiah 63:10Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit. So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them.
----------
John 3:33The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful.
----------
Ephesians 1:13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
----------
1 Thessalonians 5:19Do not put out the Spirit's fire;
----------
Hebrews 10:29How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#403368 Nov 18, 2012
1 Thessalonians 5

Instructions in Christian Living

12And we beseech you, brethren, to know them who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

13And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

14Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are idle, encourage the faint-hearted, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

15See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

16Rejoice evermore.

17Pray without ceasing.

18In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

19Quench not the Spirit.

20Despise not prophesying.

21Test all things; hold fast that which is good.

22Abstain from all appearance of evil.
Clay

United States

#403369 Nov 18, 2012
<quoted text>The rotflol was at you on how you tried to rationalize or justify on scenario over the other.
Do YOU SEE NOW.
No .
I do not.
I will never see...
How you wierdos follow the Bible like you do.
Makes zero sense...
You submitt to unforgivingj ignorance. Why?
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#403370 Nov 18, 2012
Full of Love wrote:
Also 7th Day,
I don't believe that only Baptist will go to heaven.
If we are representing the Lord,we need to be careful what we say.
There are unbelievers on this forum.
Nor do I ;-)
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

#403371 Nov 18, 2012
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said,I could never wish anyone to hell.
I don't want to be in the middle your fussing with others.
I just gave my opinion.
Never fails,I give my opinion and then someone tries to bring me into ther debates.
I just sit here and shake my head at the things I read.
Old G say's he's a Baptist,I am a Missionary Baptist.
When your a Baptist claiming that your living for the Lord,you do not say the things he has been saying,period.
He is suppose to be representing the Baptist faith.
That's not the way we are,I'm sorry.
I'm the least of anyone on here,I'm not perfect,but I could never say the things he say's,especially when he talks nasty.
It's no wonder that when he talks about OSAS that everyone fusses with him.
If he doesn't feel condemned by the things he post,then one has to wonder.
I'm not his judge or anyone elses.
I do know that it's a repentant way.
Honestly, Karen, you sound Catholic. This is what we're taught also. What you've been saying is pure Christianity. "I'm the least of anyone on here"...that's it in a nutshell.

I know what you mean about being convicted. Our conscience is a gift from God, but it has to be properly formed, to know right from wrong, to accept truth. Perhaps that's where the problem lies. We all make excuses for our behavior and a lot of the time we get caught up in the moment, are ruled by our emotions. But it's hard to deny that little niggling deep down inside, better known as the Holy Spirit coming to call. "The Hound of Heaven"...we try to outrun Him, but He can run faster.
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#403372 Nov 18, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>1214 This sacrament is called Baptism, after the central rite by which it is carried out: to baptize (Greek baptizein) means to "plunge" or "immerse"; the "plunge" into the water symbolizes the catechumen's burial into Christ's death, from which he rises up by resurrection with him, as "a new creature."6
For this post they reference Rom.6:34.........BUT ALAS there is no 34th verse in Chapter 6.:(
Looks to me like a typo. Probably Rom. 6:3-4 would be the intended citation.

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rob

United States

#403374 Nov 18, 2012
guest wrote:
-
"All those members broke the rules of the Catholic Church. Why won't you get that?"
-
-
Why. won't. you. get. that.?
-
I DID, Clay. That's. why. I. left. the. Church.
Catholics "never" deny the sins of "past Catholics" -- but they certainly do a fine job of denying the sins of PRESENT Catholics, don't they? going so far as to protecting pedophile priests by housing them in Vatican City.
-
Then again, Catholics 'never' really deny their own sins, either. Do they? No. They don't really have to - because they get this nifty little "get out of hell free" card every time they go to confession.
-
How convenient.
-
They never deny the sins of "past Catholics" ...and worse yet, they never acknowledge the sins of "present Catholics."
-
-
Clay wrote:
So what you're really saying is you left catholicism because members of the Church sinned?? Thus..breaking the basic rules of Catholicism????
Wow.
I guess, whatever 'church' you discovered who is without sin, I'd love to join.(maybe)
The Catholic Church is made up of sinners. Always has.. And always will.
-
-
No. That is not what I am REALLY saying. I love how Catholics twist what you say. But this is how they live, too. They twist what the Bible says to make it conform with what the Pope says ... because the Pope is SOOOOOOO much better informed than the first century writers of the Bible.
-
It's like the Pope is saying to Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter Paul, James and Jude: "So what you are really saying is ... blah, blah, blah ..." and going on and doing what he darn well pleases ... such as torturing and murdering heretics and covering up for pedophiles.
-
Guess what, Clay - no-one is perfect ... everybody sins. I know that - but there is something you need to know: The Pope does not HAVE a license to sin. The Pope IS not a license to sin.
-
What's MOST sickening ... is the Pope sanctioned torture and murder of heretics ... and HIS FOLLOWERS carried it through. They certainly were NOT Christ's followers!
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#403375 Nov 18, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>1215 This sacrament is also called "the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit," for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one "can enter the kingdom of God."7
Here they reference Titus 3:5. But that verse makes no mention what so ever of baptism.

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
You don't see the reference they are making? In the CCC they talk about the "washing of regeneration," which is exactly the language used in the KJV, I think.
I suppose you could try to make an argument that "the washing of regeneration" is not meant to be the same as "baptism" (don't quite see it, myself, but I'd be open to listening to it, at least).
But I would think anyone who is the least tolerant of anyone seeing things slightly differently than they do ... would have to admit ... that a person *could* look at the language as referring to the same thing ... and still be a person of good will ...
Rob

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#403376 Nov 19, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>Matthew 24:34 says.......
“Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.”
many years ago, hal lindsey tried to say that becaue israel had been back almost 40years that jesus would be returning in 1988.
and it didnt happen as he predicted.
in fact, what Jesus was actually saying was in regards to what the Prophet Is. said which was.
"who shall declare his Generation", and in this verse in matthew.
He declared His Own generation, hope you understand what I am referring to. it is very evident to me.since he had no children to declare the generation or Him.
anyway, that is what He meant, regardless of what others might try and say about that Verse.My info came straight from God one day.
and I am not a false prophet like hal lindsey
"that is what He meant", who is 'he'?

Since: Nov 08

usa

#403377 Nov 19, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your anti-catholic sources of "history legends" are "no different" that the National Inquirer" type of twisted and perverted church history myths that Michael continues to "throw out" on this forum. I have studied TRUE (unbias) APOSTOLIC CHURCH HISTORY for over 8 years of University and pre-seminary educational research. You (continue) to have "no idea" as to what you are talking about Jethro8. Go argue and discuss your "history propaganda" with your other 42,000+ protestant inconsistent and contradicting half-truth, half-heretical Christians, "none of which" will agree with your false conclusions!!
what university you talking about? it is historical facts that i post you post rubbish like this one to dispute what i say,yet you offer no unbiased rebttal to prove me wrong about the church,you only read/or are told about one side of the church not the darkside.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 19 min Freebird USA 176,761
Scientists Say: Time Travel Breakthrough (Feb '08) 19 min qdata8 24
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min Freebird USA 271,265
___100% PROOF POPE FRANCIS is ANTICHRIST___ 30 min YTubeNews 1
REAL Contemporary Instrumental Music!! 48 min pusherman_ 31
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr Liam 424
Who will be in the NBA Finals?? 1 hr Doctor REALITY 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr It aint necessari... 837,041
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Vinamese 4,083
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 7 hr The swamiji 7,155
More from around the web