Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#402256 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
4gvn
didn't your hear...Paul and Silas probably hooked up again later on and that's when they told the jailor about baptism.
You should probably re-read Acts 16:30-33.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#402257 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the act of baptism apart from the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit has no saving effect. That is, as you all put it, just gettin' wet.

4givn:
I agree, So the obvious reality is that ALL saving power lies with Jesus and His ability to forgive us our sins and bring us into a relationship with Himself.

Apart from God baptism will not save. But it is a testimony to one's new birth. Jesus said that "He that believes AND is baptized shall be saved."

KayMarie
charles

Dublin, OH

#402258 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The first few verses in some of the letter St. Paul wrote to the Christian communities:
To the Church at Rome;
"8 First, I give thanks to my God, through Jesus Christ, for you all: because your faith is spoken of in the whole world."
To the Church at Corinth;
"2 to the church of God that is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that invoke the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place of theirs and ours."
To the Churches at Galatia;
"9 As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema."
To the Church at Ephesus;
"1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the will of God, to all the saints who are at Ephesus and to the faithful in Christ Jesus."
To the Church at Philippi;
"1 Paul and Timothy, the servants of Jesus Christ: to all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons."
etc., etc., etc.
So God sent Paul out into communities where the Gospel was already preached to preach the other part of the Gospel that these communities didn't hear the first time?

#402259 Nov 14, 2012
who="Fr Robert Dye"
Yeah ... that's a pretty big controversy right now.
Every group has its nutbars. We (Catholics) have these nutty nuns, and on the other end of the spectrum, the "bleeding hosts" crowd. We have these "cultural Catholics" who largely voted for Obama.
This bunch that is pushing for "gay marriage" is putting itself outside the Church, same as "Catholics for Free Choice (the pro-abortion "Catholic" group.)
Just putting "Catholic" in your name does not make (or keep) you part of the Church.
Rob

Now we are getting somewhere: Just putting Protestant in your name does not make you a Christian.

KayMarie

#402260 Nov 14, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>"kinda like the lie that PAD another Assembly of God follower told about billy graham and his prophecy about Kennedy AFTER the DEATH." Billy Graham called the White House to warn Kennedy not to go to Dallas.He did not prophecy anything after Kennedy's death,nor did he claim he had a vision or anything else concerning such.By the way sir, I read a book on the killing of Kennedy,Billy Graham was mentioned as trying to contact Kennedy before he went to Dallas. Preston I am not a follower of the Assemblies of God,I am a believer who attends an Assembly of God church,of which I find a very good church.You would really like the pastor he is quite unique,but that is not important.
Of course there is no protecting myself here,but I consider your usage of the word LIE in regards to the info I gave,a distortion of what I was conveying to the poster.I did not read a lie,nor did I tell a lie.So believe what you want.

who="preston"]<qu oted text>HERE IS WHAT YOU SAID AND THAT IS THE GREAT THING ABOUT TOPIX, WHEN A PERSON SAYS SOMETHING, IT CAN BE PROVEN.
HERE IS YOUR LIE AND MY RESPONSE.
preston
Waverly, OH
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#401983 22 hrs ago
Judged:
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>{{{{{Guess what? Billy Graham warned President Kennedy emphatically not to go to Dallas on political tour.}}} We know what happened,but many do not know that {{{Billy Graham,urgently warned Pres.Kennedy}}}(AND WE SEE THAT BOTH OF THESE STATEMENTS ARE UNTRUE )to not go to Dallas.
ME;
I have always found in your posts that somewhere in there is a kernal of untruth.
we find it on this post.
Billy Graham, the well-known evangelist, said that he tried to reach JFK by phone before he left for Dallas.
"I had the strongest premonition that he should not go to Texas," the preacher later told newsmen
AFTER THE FACT!!! SHOOT, EVEN ORVILLE COULD BE PROVEN A PROPHET AFTER THE FACTS.
HINDSIGHT IS ALWAYS 20-20

~~~~

PAD...

JUST IGNORE THE EVIL RANTINGS, THAT PRESTON IS SPEWING...

AS MOST OF US, HAVE DECIDED TO DO...

AFTER A WHILE HE WILL GET TIRED OF POSTING TO HIMSELF.

THE BIBLE SAYS

Eph_4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

AS YOU HAVE ALREADY NOTED.... HE ONLY POSTS TO EDIFY GLORIFY HIMSELF...
charles

Dublin, OH

#402261 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You should probably re-read Acts 16:30-33.
if you read those passages do you see conversion to Christ and then baptism or no? I read it and see conversion.
preston

Waverly, OH

#402262 Nov 14, 2012
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?
Neither, when I received the Holy Ghost 36 hours after I was Saved, it was because of an Covenant that God wanted to make with me.

when I allowed myself to be crucified to self, then I received the Holy Ghost, but not until then.

If you or anyone else thinks that you receive the Holy Ghost when You get saved, you are badly mistaken.

what you receive is the Spirit of Christ, which is a different Spiritual Experience than the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." [Romans 8:9]

as I have said, I am of the Wesleyen faith and doctrine, which is a doctrine of a SECOND DEFINITE WORKS OF GRACE,

notice that word" definite", we have that experience and we KNOW that it is real and correct.while there are many people that claim to be Saved and yet have never known a REAL SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. are you ONE of those?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#402263 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
So God sent Paul out into communities where the Gospel was already preached to preach the other part of the Gospel that these communities didn't hear the first time?
?

Do you think that in writing 1 Corinthians, for example, it was the first and only contact St. Paul made with the Church at Corinth? Do you think the only way these folks learned of the gospel was when they would read his freshly delivered epistle?

Please examine 2 Thessalonians 2:15.
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#402264 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Fr. Dye. I understand the Church has re-thought her non-dogmatic position on "limbo". I also understand the Church's position on the necessity of baptism, including desire and blood. While I may be misunderstanding your position here, can you please explain how it coincides with paragraphs 1257-1274 in the Catechism?
Perhaps I am missing something in your question.
The only thing that leapt out at me in rereading the parts of the CCC that you cite wokd be that some parts of the baptismal obligation only apply to those above the age of reason, as those below could not fulfill them.( 1269-1270).
This being the case, I would ask you what changes in a person baptized as an infant, such that they cannot fulfill this begore the age of reason, but have an obligation to afterwards? There must be a new relationship with the Lord and with the Church, one that is predicated upon the use of reason.
Or perhaps I simply don.'t see what you are speaking of. What conflict do you perceive?
Rob

#402265 Nov 14, 2012
who="Anthony MN"
I thought you said that you are continually searching for truth in God's written Word and that Jesus continues to share His truth with you? Is it possible there is more truth to be shared?

You don't seem to think so...

KayMarie

#402266 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:

So what happens to those Paul only preached faith for salvation to if they never hear the Gospel again?
How do you know he preached only faith and not baptism to those folks? Do you think his epistile to the Philippians for instance was the only communication he ever had with them?

The 'epistle's are letters written to the churches. Could all of your pastors sermons be contained in a short letter?

They heard many sermons, and I am sure that all those things were covered. We STILL have the message...

KayMarie
preston

Waverly, OH

#402267 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's obvious St. Paul was writing to Christians communities where the gospel had already been preached.
In your scenario I would ask my priest to accompany me in visiting with my friend and ask him to be prepared to baptize him.
would you and your priest take this person to the nearest river and then baptise him?what if he was to sick to make that journey? will he be lost?

But with Chrsitianity, there is an alternative and a much better one.No Christian would NEED a minister, all that is needed is to tell that Person about how Jesus died for his sins and all that he needs to do is ask God to come into his life, and He will.

and anthony, it works, I KNOW. one day < I was asked to come and talk to one of the meanest men in this county, he had terminal cancer, and after a few minutes, I began to talk to him and he told me that he wasnt afraid to die, and then I said but what about after death and the Judgement that all must face. that caused him to think and I asked him if we could pray and he said yes, then he told me that he didnt know how to pray and I said, all you have to say is Lord come into my life, the man did that soon He was Saved.

and if he got Baptised, i dont know nor care. the Power to Save is in the Blood, nor water.

and Bob died a few days after that but he left a testimony. at the hospital, the nurses noticed a difference between what he was before and how he was then.
charles

Dublin, OH

#402268 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Do you think that in writing 1 Corinthians, for example, it was the first and only contact St. Paul made with the Church at Corinth? Do you think the only way these folks learned of the gospel was when they would read his freshly delivered epistle?
Please examine 2 Thessalonians 2:15.
You didn't answer mine but sure I'll answer..

When I read Paul say... "16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written,“The righteous shall live by faith.”

**It is because it means exactly what he says about salvation and if there was something else he'd say it.

**You look at this passage and say he's only giving part of the Gospel and he'll tell them the rest later. Why in the world would he do that?

**You would tell your friend in the hospital everything but Paul would not. That's what God wants...only give them part of the Gospel for now.
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#402269 Nov 14, 2012
Clayx wrote:
<quoted text>
But Christians believed in water Baptism as sorta the new circumcision, right? Only recently did born agains and such reverse those earlier understandings of Baptism. That's how I see it.
I welcome more info..
Sure. Jesus Himself was made part of God's people via circumcision, not by His own decision, but by the decision of His parents.
If this manner of being made part of God's people (as an infant, rather than via a reasoned choice) was valid for the Christ, why not for us? Why NOT baptize infants?
It seems rather obvious to me, but I could see the argument made by baptists and some other groups, that before the age of reason, it would not be necessary.
Christ commanded baptism as necessary for salvation. When I deal with a couple whose child has died, I much prefer to be able to cite the words of Jesus to give them comfort. "He said do it, so we have done it. Have confidence in His words" is greatly preferable to a theological reflection on whether or not it is needed before the age of reason.
Can we say , WITH CERTAINTY, from scripture, that children who die before baptism go to heaven?
No.
Can we follow the Savior's command to baptize, and to "allow the little children to come to [Him]?"
Yes.
For me, this seems an obvious conclusion, but I can also see how people of good will could disagree on the necessity in such a case.
Rob
charles

Dublin, OH

#402270 Nov 14, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps I am missing something in your question.
The only thing that leapt out at me in rereading the parts of the CCC that you cite wokd be that some parts of the baptismal obligation only apply to those above the age of reason, as those below could not fulfill them.( 1269-1270).
This being the case, I would ask you what changes in a person baptized as an infant, such that they cannot fulfill this begore the age of reason, but have an obligation to afterwards? There must be a new relationship with the Lord and with the Church, one that is predicated upon the use of reason.
Or perhaps I simply don.'t see what you are speaking of. What conflict do you perceive?
Rob
Tony thinks he was reborn when he was 3 months old and now you got him concerned.
preston

Waverly, OH

#402271 Nov 14, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>And what spirit do you think he recieved, Marge? He is one evil man with a mean, dondemning spirit. He is an embarassment to true christians. And he is working against the true gospel being shared on this thread. He believes he can judge Billy Grahm and thinks that he will go to hell. One sick puppy.
first the Bible judges those false teachers, I just agree with it.looks like you are trying a different tact now since you got proven to be stupid when it comes to sin and forgiveness.lol

those who preach a false Gospel will be accursed and have their place in hell. THE BIBLE SAYS THAT AND I AGREE WITH IT. NOT IN THE LEAST SURPRISED THAT YOU YOU DONT.

seconds, this is my EXPERIENCE that I had when i received the Holy Ghost.

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

if any experience that you have ever had can match that, I will and must call you a liar, since you are not a"true christian" as they dont issue homosexual invitations to a dying man like YOU DID.

SOME OF YOU SO CALLED christians ON THIS FORUM LEAVE A LOT TO BE DESIRED.
God doesnt bless sin and you people have a lot of it in your black souls.
preston

Waverly, OH

#402272 Nov 14, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>"kinda like the lie that PAD another Assembly of God follower told about billy graham and his prophecy about Kennedy AFTER the DEATH." Billy Graham called the White House to warn Kennedy not to go to Dallas.He did not prophecy anything after Kennedy's death,nor did he claim he had a vision or anything else concerning such.By the way sir, I read a book on the killing of Kennedy,Billy Graham was mentioned as trying to contact Kennedy before he went to Dallas. Preston I am not a follower of the Assemblies of God,I am a believer who attends an Assembly of God church,of which I find a very good church.You would really like the pastor he is quite unique,but that is not important.
Of course there is no protecting myself here,but I consider your usage of the word LIE in regards to the info I gave,a distortion of what I was conveying to the poster.I did not read a lie,nor did I tell a lie.So believe what you want.
who="preston"]<qu oted text>HERE IS WHAT YOU SAID AND THAT IS THE GREAT THING ABOUT TOPIX, WHEN A PERSON SAYS SOMETHING, IT CAN BE PROVEN.
preston
Waverly, OH
Reply »
Judged:
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>{{{{{Guess what? Billy Graham warned President Kennedy emphatically not to go to Dallas on political tour.}}} We know what happened,but many do not know that {{{Billy Graham,urgently warned Pres.Kennedy}}}(AND WE SEE THAT BOTH OF THESE STATEMENTS ARE UNTRUE )to not go to Dallas.
ME;
I have always found in your posts that somewhere in there is a kernal of untruth.
we find it on this post.
Billy Graham, the well-known evangelist, said that he tried to reach JFK by phone before he left for Dallas.
"I had the strongest premonition that he should not go to Texas," the preacher later told newsmen
AFTER THE FACT!!! SHOOT, EVEN ORVILLE COULD BE PROVEN A PROPHET AFTER THE FACTS.
~~~~
PAD...
THE BIBLE SAYS
Eph_4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
since when does telling teh TRUTH bde come "evil rantings"?

and since all of you ahae decided to ignore me, you still dont mind lying about my words nor talk about me to others.

I do believe that is called gossiping.

Philippians 4:8 - Dwell on things worthy of praise

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.

Titus 3:2 - Be gentle

to malign no one, to be uncontentious, gentle, showing every consideration for all men

1 Timothy 5:13 - Gossips and Busybodies

And at the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house; and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention

James 3:5-7 -#10 Control the tongue

So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by the human race.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#402273 Nov 14, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
You haven't answered them, that is why I keep posting them.
Where does "God" specifically state that Gnosticism is "heresy"?
<quoted text>
And once again, you have not.
Now you post "Timothy".
Nothing about Gnosticism in this text.
Nothing that states Timothy is "God".
You haven't answered the question, but you will continue to divert from answering the question, because you know it is not stated specifically.
BTW - you may want to do some research on "Timothy" before you continue make unfounded conclusions of what beliefs your heirarchy has deemed heresy, above that which "God" has - which is none.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Epistle_to...
The author of First Timothy has been traditionally identified as the Apostle Paul. He is named as the author of the letter in the text (1:1). Nineteenth and twentieth century scholarship questioned the authenticity of the letter, with many scholars suggesting that First Timothy, along with Second Timothy and Titus, are not original to Paul, but rather an unknown Christian writing some time in the late-first-to-mid-2nd century.[1] Most scholars now affirm this view.[2]
**2.^ Collins, Raymond F. 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus: A Commentary. Westminster John Knox Press. 2004. p. 4 ISBN 0-664-22247-1
"By the end of the twentieth century New Testament scholarship was virtually unanimous in affirming that the Pastoral Epistles were written some time after Paul's death.... As always some scholars dissent from the consensus view."
DateThe dating of 1 Timothy depends very much on the question of authorship. Those who accept the epistle's authenticity believe it was most likely written toward the end of Paul's ministry, c.62-67 CE. Other historians generally place its composition some time in the late 1st century or first half of the 2nd century CE, with a wide margin of uncertainty. The text seems to be contending against nascent Gnosticism(1 Tim 1:4, 1 Tim 4:3)[15](see Encratism), which would suggest a later date due to Gnosticism developing primarily in the latter 1st century. The term Gnosis("knowledge") itself occurs in 1 Timothy 6:20.[16] If the parallels between 1 Timothy and Polycarp's epistle are understood as a literary dependence by the latter on the former, as is generally accepted,[4] this would constitute a terminus ante quem of 130-155 CE. However, Irenaeus (writing c. 180 CE) is the earliest author to clearly and unequivocally describe the Pastorals.
NASL

I went to your Wikipedia site, and low and behold, they acknowledge I Timothy 6:20 as concerning Gnosticism....

Enough said.

The Bible is the standard text of Christianity.

Enough said.

:)
preston

Waverly, OH

#402274 Nov 14, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Jesus Himself was made part of God's people via circumcision, not by His own decision, but by the decision of His parents.
If this manner of being made part of God's people (as an infant, rather than via a reasoned choice) was valid for the Christ, why not for us? Why NOT baptize infants?
It seems rather obvious to me, but I could see the argument made by baptists and some other groups, that before the age of reason, it would not be necessary.
Christ commanded baptism as necessary for salvation. When I deal with a couple whose child has died, I much prefer to be able to cite the words of Jesus to give them comfort. "He said do it, so we have done it. Have confidence in His words" is greatly preferable to a theological reflection on whether or not it is needed before the age of reason.
Can we say , WITH CERTAINTY, from scripture, that children who die before baptism go to heaven?
No.
Can we follow the Savior's command to baptize, and to "allow the little children to come to [Him]?"
Yes.
For me, this seems an obvious conclusion, but I can also see how people of good will could disagree on the necessity in such a case.
Rob
Jesus NEVER commanded baptism as necessary for Salvation, HOWEVER HE DID SAY THAT WE HAD TO BE BORN AGAIN, THAT IS A NECESSITY TO ENTER INTO HEAVEN.

this is the covenant that God made to abram.

Abram fell facedown, and God said to him,'As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations. No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God.'" (17:3-8)

and this is the sign.

Then God said to Abraham,'As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you.

AND I CAN SAY FOR A CERTAINTY THAT BABIES AND LITTLE CHILDREN GO TO HEAVEN.

my baby died at the age of 15 days old.

and not long after that, God gav eme a vision of Jerrod and he was placed in a cleft of a large mountain.

that mountain was Jesus Christ and the cleft is a place of rest.

And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

it is His grace and His mercy that covers that little baby just as it is all of them that die prematurely.

and we never baptised that litle baby since there is no need. but we had him home for almost two days and we took him to church and anointed him and dedicated him to the Lord, Our Savior.

it is a pity for you to have much education ,yet know nothing about the Grace of God and Salvation.

and I am not trying to be mean, but someday, you will find out that all that you have been taught and what you yourself teach was wrong.I hope that it will not be to late you you and others.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#402275 Nov 14, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
Pad wrote:
preston
Waverly, OH
Reply »
Judged:
Pad wrote:
ME;
we find it on this post.
~~~~
PAD...
THE BIBLE SAYS
You people sure do yell a lot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 9 min TRD 121,712
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 41 min Double Fine 830,135
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 47 min Clearwater 176,575
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 58 min pusherman_ 2,300
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 1 hr Theswamiji 6,401
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr MUQ2 281
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Epiphany2 611,940
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Just Think 99,220
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 hr MUQ2 40,212
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 hr WasteWater 270,839
More from around the web