Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 19,366)

Showing posts 387,301 - 387,320 of512,090
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
There is only truth, there are not competing versions of it. If one says baptism is necessary for salvation and the other says no, one of them is in trouble.
I did not say that God would forgive the person who had it 'wrong'. I said that if both were honestly searching for the truth, God is able to make their search fruitful. Sometimes it takes time (I'm still learning.) And patience on the part of the one who has the truth is helpful. "He that WINNETH souls is wise."
Too many people are driving people away, rather than winning them.
KayMarie
I like your honest post Kay. No one should ever question your love for Christ and zeal for the Gospel.
Still the question remains.. There can only be one truth.
Who is preaching it?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
When you paste scripture verses, you are conveying His words. When you add your own personal opinions as to the meaning of His words you are doing nothing but sharing your opinions. Neither you nor your husband have any authority to speak infallibly.
Stick to pasting scripture and leave the interpretation to those who have authority. That's biblical.

I trust the authority of GOD, not that of men. If I speak the words of God/Jesus, THEY ARE THE AUTHORITY.

Who are you to determine which man has the authority? Just because a MAN holds the credentials given to him by MEN in Rome, one cannot say that he has the authority of GOD.

KayMarie

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
That's nice. Does loving Jesus not include obeying Him? What if your faith tradition is wrong about those things which Jesus commanded us to do?
And what if YOUR faith tradition is wrong about those things which Jesus commanded?
You are willing to accept the word of infallible men; sometimes men who are guilty of molesting children (you don't know the difference in them). You believe infallible men to save you.
If you ask Him, Jesus will teach you Himself.
KayMarie
"And what if YOUR faith tradition is wrong about those things which Jesus commanded?"
- Why do you question someone, when you don't even believe in all of his teachings?
- What if your "faith tradition" is wrong?

Why do you use words that have vague meanings, but try to encapsulate a complete teachings?

Why do you think a handful of men - chosen by the Catholics - had all of what "God" wanted to express?

You really don't understand the history of your religion, huh?

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only truth, there are not competing versions of it. If one says baptism is necessary for salvation and the other says no, one of them is in trouble.
In trouble of what?

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it's the minority thing. I think if it was two white guys running the result would have been different.
You may get that chance in 2016. You may even get two black guys running, then you will really have to make a decision.

Bummer for you.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
You wrote..
In my opinion, protestants who claim to speak for God when they personally interpret bible verses are showing a disrespect for the bible AND God Himself.
I am an evangelical Bishop/pastor with over 60 years of Bible study ...
If you can find one of your priest that have that many years in the word
more power to him..
I have posted on multiple subjects here about the Bible...
In doing so I have attempted to validate what I have expressed as truth from the Bible with more than one scripture verse..giving more than one witness to give it credibility..
The Roman catholic Church cannot produce any scripture to
substantiate/validate your teaching concerning ....
A Pope or Papal succession in Rome which is the primary foundation of your Church..
This ..to me jeopardize all the rest that your church stands for...
It is just not in the Bible...
"I am an evangelical Bishop/pastor with over 60 years of Bible study ..."
- Pride - Hey GiF - looks like you are on a losing path.

Wanna talk about it "pastor"?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I like your honest post Kay. No one should ever question your love for Christ and zeal for the Gospel.
Who is preaching it?
~~~~

yOU WROTE

There can only be one truth.
Who is preaching it?

JESUS IS...

hE SAID

Joh_11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Joh_15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

Joh_15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

JESUS SAID NOTHING ABOUT A ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, OR A POPE
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know that your church fathers told you the truth.
All tough I am not a big fan of Luther, he was a catholic and dicide the church fathers were in error.
And many catholic's after him decided Luther was right.
Why is that I wonder;;;; could it be that almighty God put the truth in their hearts and lead them to understanding it through the Holy Spirit of Truth.
There is no salvation in the catholic church or the protestant churchs salvations comes from God Himself.
Are you asking if Almighty God put the truth in Protestants hearts 1,500 yrs after Christ?

No LTM, I think that's highly unlikely for many reasons.
The obvious reason is that the Holy Spirit had already spoken.
Another obvious reason is the New Testament wasn't even put together until the 4th century.
So we know at the Holy Spirit was with the Church during that period, right? Constantine was already dead; Rome was Christian; 35 Popes had already lived and died....I mean, the list goes on.

And if God did put the truth in Protestants hearts, I would ask you which ones? You all are scattered quite badly in Christian theology.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

who="Clay"
Who is preaching it?

Thank you, Clay...and I understand your question. The preacher must be 'sent'(how can he preach except he be sent...Isa.). He must have a sense of 'calling' from God. His preaching must agree with what God says. His life should be irreproachable.

I have known many in my lifetime who left the world and followed Jesus because they saw Jesus in the life of a holy man or woman. I've known some of those 'holy' men and women...and I know a whole lot more who are striving to be holy.

Exhort one another daily...Heb. 3:13

KayMarie

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

KayMarie
.....you can make up tales to see if others are paying attention to you?

Your arrogance is starting to peek around the corner.

You and your husband should talk about "pride" more often.
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
When you paste scripture verses, you are conveying His words. When you add your own personal opinions as to the meaning of His words you are doing nothing but sharing your opinions. Neither you nor your husband have any authority to speak infallibly.
Stick to pasting scripture and leave the interpretation to those who have authority. That's biblical.
I trust the authority of GOD, not that of men. If I speak the words of God/Jesus, THEY ARE THE AUTHORITY.
Who are you to determine which man has the authority? Just because a MAN holds the credentials given to him by MEN in Rome, one cannot say that he has the authority of GOD.
KayMarie
Kay, do you know our Popes do not have the authority to change scripture meanings?

Ponder that for a moment.

How many Protestant Pastors have changed scripture meanings?

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

KayMarie
If you understand what Jesus stated, there is no further need for words written about him.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Kay, do you know our Popes do not have the authority to change scripture meanings?
Ponder that for a moment.
How many Protestant Pastors have changed scripture meanings?
~~~

EXPLAIN SCRIPTURALY...WHY THERE IS SUCH A PERSON AS THE POPE..

I PERSONAL FIND HIM TO BE A IMPOSTER....THAT IS ASSUMING THE POSITION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT...ONE THAT SPEAKS OF HIMSELF

.Attempting to do what JESUS SAID the HOLY SPIRIT WOULD DO

WHILE ASSUMING THE POSITION OF THE THIRD PERSON OF THE GOD HEAD...TO GUIDE THE CHURCH IN ALL TRUTH...

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

(Now don't get angry and call me name as others have done...)

Take the Bible and give scriptural validation for the position of a pope...and papal succession...
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

who="Clay"
Who is preaching it?
Thank you, Clay...and I understand your question. The preacher must be 'sent'(how can he preach except he be sent...Isa.). He must have a sense of 'calling' from God. His preaching must agree with what God says. His life should be irreproachable.
I have known many in my lifetime who left the world and followed Jesus because they saw Jesus in the life of a holy man or woman. I've known some of those 'holy' men and women...and I know a whole lot more who are striving to be holy.
Exhort one another daily...Heb. 3:13
KayMarie
"I've known a whole lot more who are striving to be Holy"

That's great. I mean that. I believe that God wants that.
I also believe God has already revealed where to experience Holiness and be in communion with Christ. It was that way
1800 yrs ago and its that way now.
We Catholics completely understand how God touches all your hearts. We are in awe of His mercy and love for people of all faiths.
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

<quoted text>
~~~
EXPLAIN SCRIPTURALY...WHY THERE IS SUCH A PERSON AS THE POPE..
I PERSONAL FIND HIM TO BE A IMPOSTER....THAT IS ASSUMING THE POSITION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT...ONE THAT SPEAKS OF HIMSELF
.Attempting to do what JESUS SAID the HOLY SPIRIT WOULD DO
WHILE ASSUMING THE POSITION OF THE THIRD PERSON OF THE GOD HEAD...TO GUIDE THE CHURCH IN ALL TRUTH...
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
(Now don't get angry and call me name as others have done...)
Take the Bible and give scriptural validation for the position of a pope...and papal succession...
Certainly you can see the origin of the Papacy in Matthew 16:18. Christ new the importance of needing one leader to be the Earthly shepherd of His Church.
But to really understand how there was one Bishop to govern the Church, you have to look outside of the 27 books to get a clear understanding of how Christ set it up. Reading early Christian writings you can see how Rome was the headquarters of the Church even though it existed 'underground'. None the less, the Bishop of Rome was the decision maker when disputes arose. It was that way then and its that way now.

Your favorite Pope should be Pope Damareus. He was the Bishop of Rome who presided over the council of Hippo (393 AD) where the Church decided to compile a New Testament Bible and add them to the Hebrew books- thus creating one Bible. Interesting huh?
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Is the Bible truly God's Word?"
Answer: Our answer to this question will not only determine how we view the Bible and its importance to our lives, but also it will ultimately have an eternal impact on us. If the Bible is truly Godís Word, then we should cherish it, study it, obey it, and fully trust it. If the Bible is the Word of God, then to dismiss it is to dismiss God Himself.
The fact that God gave us the Bible is an evidence and illustration of His love for us. The term ďrevelationĒ simply means that God communicated to mankind what He is like and how we can have a right relationship with Him. These are things that we could not have known had God not divinely revealed them to us in the Bible. Although Godís revelation of Himself in the Bible was given progressively over approximately 1500 years, it has always contained everything man needs to know about God in order to have a right relationship with Him. If the Bible is truly the Word of God, then it is the final authority for all matters of faith, religious practice, and morals.
The question we must ask ourselves is how can we know that the Bible is the Word of God and not just a good book? What is unique about the Bible that sets it apart from all other religious books ever written? Is there any evidence that the Bible is truly Godís Word? These types of questions must be seriously examined if we are to determine the validity of the Bibleís claim to be the very Word of God, divinely inspired, and totally sufficient for all matters of faith and practice. There can be no doubt that the Bible does claim to be the very Word of God. This is clearly seen in Paulís commendation to Timothy:ďÖ from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good workĒ(2 Timothy 3:15-17).
cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

There are both internal and external evidences that the Bible is truly Godís Word. The internal evidences are those things within the Bible that testify of its divine origin. One of the first internal evidences that the Bible is truly Godís Word is seen in its unity. Even though it is really sixty-six individual books, written on three continents, in three different languages, over a period of approximately 1500 years, by more than 40 authors who came from many walks of life, the Bible remains one unified book from beginning to end without contradiction. This unity is unique from all other books and is evidence of the divine origin of the words which God moved men to record.
Another of the internal evidences that indicates the Bible is truly Godís Word is the prophecies contained within its pages. The Bible contains hundreds of detailed prophecies relating to the future of individual nations including Israel, certain cities, and mankind. Other prophecies concern the coming of One who would be the Messiah, the Savior of all who would believe in Him. Unlike the prophecies found in other religious books or those by men such as Nostradamus, biblical prophecies are extremely detailed. There are over three hundred prophecies concerning Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. Not only was it foretold where He would be born and His lineage, but also how He would die and that He would rise again. There simply is no logical way to explain the fulfilled prophecies in the Bible other than by divine origin. There is no other religious book with the extent or type of predictive prophecy that the Bible contains.
cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

A third internal evidence of the divine origin of the Bible is its unique authority and power. While this evidence is more subjective than the first two, it is no less a powerful testimony of the divine origin of the Bible. The Bibleís authority is unlike any other book ever written. This authority and power are best seen in the way countless lives have been transformed by the supernatural power of Godís Word. Drug addicts have been cured by it, homosexuals set free by it, derelicts and deadbeats transformed by it, hardened criminals reformed by it, sinners rebuked by it, and hate turned to love by it. The Bible does possess a dynamic and transforming power that is only possible because it is truly Godís Word.
There are also external evidences that indicate the Bible is truly the Word of God. One is the historicity of the Bible. Because the Bible details historical events, its truthfulness and accuracy are subject to verification like any other historical document. Through both archaeological evidences and other writings, the historical accounts of the Bible have been proven time and time again to be accurate and true. In fact, all the archaeological and manuscript evidence supporting the Bible makes it the best-documented book from the ancient world. The fact that the Bible accurately and truthfully records historically verifiable events is a great indication of its truthfulness when dealing with religious subjects and doctrines and helps substantiate its claim to be the very Word of God.
Another external evidence that the Bible is truly Godís Word is the integrity of its human authors. As mentioned earlier, God used men from many walks of life to record His words. In studying the lives of these men, we find them to be honest and sincere. The fact that they were willing to die often excruciating deaths for what they believed testifies that these ordinary yet honest men truly believed God had spoken to them. The men who wrote the New Testament and many hundreds of other believers (1 Corinthians 15:6) knew the truth of their message because they had seen and spent time with Jesus Christ after He had risen from the dead. Seeing the risen Christ had a tremendous impact on them. They went from hiding in fear to being willing to die for the message God had revealed to them. Their lives and deaths testify to the fact that the Bible truly is Godís Word.
cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

A final external evidence that the Bible is truly Godís Word is the indestructibility of the Bible. Because of its importance and its claim to be the very Word of God, the Bible has suffered more vicious attacks and attempts to destroy it than any other book in history. From early Roman Emperors like Diocletian, through communist dictators and on to modern-day atheists and agnostics, the Bible has withstood and outlasted all of its attackers and is still today the most widely published book in the world.
Throughout time, skeptics have regarded the Bible as mythological, but archeology has confirmed it as historical. Opponents have attacked its teaching as primitive and outdated, but its moral and legal concepts and teachings have had a positive influence on societies and cultures throughout the world. It continues to be attacked by pseudo-science, psychology, and political movements, yet it remains just as true and relevant today as it was when it was first written. It is a book that has transformed countless lives and cultures throughout the last 2000 years. No matter how its opponents try to attack, destroy, or discredit it, the Bible remains; its veracity and impact on lives is unmistakable. The accuracy which has been preserved despite every attempt to corrupt, attack, or destroy it is clear testimony to the fact that the Bible is truly Godís Word and is supernaturally protected by Him. It should not surprise us that, no matter how the Bible is attacked, it always comes out unchanged and unscathed. After all, Jesus said,ďHeaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass awayĒ(Mark 13:31). After looking at the evidence, one can say without a doubt that, yes, the Bible is truly Godís Word.There are also external evidences that indicate the Bible is truly the Word of God. One is the historicity of the Bible. Because the Bible details historical events, its truthfulness and accuracy are subject to verification like any other historical document. Through both archaeological evidences and other writings, the historical accounts of the Bible have been proven time and time again to be accurate and true. In fact, all the archaeological and manuscript evidence supporting the Bible makes it the best-documented book from the ancient world. The fact that the Bible accurately and truthfully records historically verifiable events is a great indication of its truthfulness when dealing with religious subjects and doctrines and helps substantiate its claim to be the very Word of God.
Another external evidence that the Bible is truly Godís Word is the integrity of its human authors. As mentioned earlier, God used men from many walks of life to record His words. In studying the lives of these men, we find them to be honest and sincere. The fact that they were willing to die often excruciating deaths for what they believed testifies that these ordinary yet honest men truly believed God had spoken to them. The men who wrote the New Testament and many hundreds of other believers (1 Corinthians 15:6) knew the truth of their message because they had seen and spent time with Jesus Christ after He had risen from the dead. Seeing the risen Christ had a tremendous impact on them. They went from hiding in fear to being willing to die for the message God had revealed to them. Their lives and deaths testify to the fact that the Bible truly is Godís Word.
cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

final external evidence that the Bible is truly Godís Word is the indestructibility of the Bible. Because of its importance and its claim to be the very Word of God, the Bible has suffered more vicious attacks and attempts to destroy it than any other book in history. From early Roman Emperors like Diocletian, through communist dictators and on to modern-day atheists and agnostics, the Bible has withstood and outlasted all of its attackers and is still today the most widely published book in the world.
Throughout time, skeptics have regarded the Bible as mythological, but archeology has confirmed it as historical. Opponents have attacked its teaching as primitive and outdated, but its moral and legal concepts and teachings have had a positive influence on societies and cultures throughout the world. It continues to be attacked by pseudo-science, psychology, and political movements, yet it remains just as true and relevant today as it was when it was first written. It is a book that has transformed countless lives and cultures throughout the last 2000 years. No matter how its opponents try to attack, destroy, or discredit it, the Bible remains; its veracity and impact on lives is unmistakable. The accuracy which has been preserved despite every attempt to corrupt, attack, or destroy it is clear testimony to the fact that the Bible is truly Godís Word and is supernaturally protected by Him. It should not surprise us that, no matter how the Bible is attacked, it always comes out unchanged and unscathed. After all, Jesus said,ďHeaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass awayĒ(Mark 13:31). After looking at the evidence, one can say without a doubt that, yes, the Bible is truly Godís Word.
got question.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 387,301 - 387,320 of512,090
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

466 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min number four 216,894
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Rosa_Winkel 680,137
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 min danetoo 109,568
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 39 min alisha24 249
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 44 min pusherman_ 596,526
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 46 min NUTS AMERICA 37,859
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 46 min Hitesrunprincess 52,509
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr karl44 89,564
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 2 hr sakib 47