Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 545,155
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#402143 Nov 13, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. I never really thought the 'mark of the beast' was an actual mark either. There are plenty of people all around us that may as well have a visible mark on their forehead because we can see
They reject God and serve the 'beast'. So an actual
Numbering system would be unnecessary. Right?
Revelation is a doozy of a book when in the wrong hands.
Question: could the So-called rapture that John was seeing be taking place at every Catholic Mass?
Because it seems to me his visions describe the Mass- with the Priests in robes and incense and the Lamb of God (Christ)? Lamb is something you eat. I would like to know your thoughts on Revelation, Fr Rob.
Wow.they all went nuts,didn't they?
It's pretty late, and what you ask requires a long reply. I probably won't get to it tonight.
But I will say this much. The Revelation (Be very suspicious of anyone who calls it the "Book of Revelations." If they cannot get the name right,they obviously don't know what they are talking about.)is an example of Apocalyptic Literature, just as Daniel is.
There are things common to Apoc. Lit. It is a lierary form, and the forms are generally obeyed.(To give you an idea on this, look at Peanuts and Garfield. red and Rover, if your paper gets it. All the animals "talk" in thought balloons, while the humans use word balloons. Sometimes it is conveyed that the humans clearly understand the animals, but usually, it can be read that they do not. This is a convention in the form "comic strip." Once you know how to read the symbols, the meaning comes through. Another good example is the editorial page. I'm always having to decode the cartoons for the Mexicans, as they do not understand the symbolism of donkey and elephant, so the meaning is obscure for them. This is another convention followed in a form.)
the thing to understand about Apoc. lit. is that it is a message of hope and reassurance to the reader. It is not meant to frighten. nor is it meant to be a prediction of th efuture.
The Revelation is more likely a bit of protest lit directed at the Roman Empire and its persecution of Christians. The symbols and numbers were clear for the Christians of that time ... they "got it" immediately, since the symbology was their own.
The only future "predicted" in the Rev. is God's Ultimate Victory over evil ... that this WILL come to pass, so do not lose heart.
I don't think you are using th eterm "rapture" quite correctly. This is a term that was more or less invented by Scofield and Darby, who came up with an entirely new interpretation of the Rev. in th e19th century ... one that somehow was completely overlooked by all scholars up to that point. It involves a kind of magical "disappearance" of all Christians during human history.(The entire "Left Behind" series is built on this notion.)
Nevertheless, your comment about parts of the Heavenly Vision being drawn from worship practices of Christians is interesting. I will have to look at that a bit more tomorrow.
G'night.
Rob
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#402144 Nov 13, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
True Jesus did not use the title 'Roman Catholic Pope' Or 'Roman Catholic Church... If he did, the Roman Emperor Ceaser would have been a little upset with that statement eh?
It doesn't matter what His Church eventually called themselves, Confront. His Church is His Church. They always had one Bishop.
Rather oddd that you(a genius) would know that , but Paul(a mere apostle) did not.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#402145 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're going to isolate this one verse from Acts to the exclusion of the gospels and the rest of the NT, I don't know why you even bother with the bible.
The jailer and his houehold were immediately baptized, so yes, there is more to "believing" than just mouthing the words. Notice that St. Paul also told him that his whole household would be saved based on faith of the jailer, which incidently supports infant baptism.
I am not isolating anything. This verse is in total agreement with the rest of the new testament and the gospel message. You would reject this passage even though it is complete, accurate and in context. In fact I don't think that you are even able to really honestly consider the truth presented here.
The fact that the jailer was 'later' baptized. has nothing to do with his salvation, but is a testamony to his 'discipleship'. The normal chain of events for a 'CHRISTIAN'(one who has been saved by thier faith in the Saviour, is to be baptized. But it is the FAITH they have placed in the Saviour(belief) that saves. Not the baptism which follows. How many verses in the scripture tell us that """by FAITH ye are saved""". Not what we do. Not our works or deeds. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved." Paul said so. Silas said so. What says Anthony?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#402146 Nov 14, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, St. Paul told him to believe and he will be saved. However, St. Paul's idea of "believing", as supported by his substantial preaching on the matter, is different than what you and the OSASers think "believing" is.
I've tried to get some others to explain what belief means to them. Can you tell me what it means to you? Is loving Jesus part of your believing in Him?
St, Paul's 'idea' of believing is exactly what I believe. The problem is you cannot differentiate between salvation and discipleship,(the things CHRISTIANS are to do BECAUSE and AFTER they have been saved.

“Pay the toll”

Since: Jan 10

or meet the troll

#402147 Nov 14, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a good book for you would be "The Lambs Supper; the Mass as Heaven on Earth" by Dr Scott Hahn.
I only skimmed through it, but I know its a detailed outline of Revelation and how it pertains to the Holy Mass.
Your paranoid version of Revelation is very new. I think you'd be interested how the early Christians viewed it. I don't know when exactly your side added to the book.. But clearly someone did and passed it on to you!
How did the early Christians view it? What do you mean by "early", pre-Constantine? Funny, that only leaves about 100 years from the time Revelation was written. Try reading some history. Early Christians also believed "Jubilees", "Book of Thomas" and others that have been left out of your canon. Your point is uneducated and mute.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#402148 Nov 14, 2012
HERE is Preston's post....... You be the judge.........."" "graham ought to keep his nose out of politics and I will never forgive him""".
..........Notice "I will never forgive him" ...What does the bible say about those who will NEVER FORGIVE? He shall not be forgiven.
So he can't be a christian at all can he?
So who would follow such a wicked mean man? UNTRUTH.
preston

Waverly, OH

#402149 Nov 14, 2012
4GVN wrote:
HERE is Preston's post....... You be the judge.........."" "graham ought to keep his nose out of politics and I will never forgive him""".
..........Notice "I will never forgive him" ...What does the bible say about those who will NEVER FORGIVE? He shall not be forgiven.
lol, you love to grasp at straws dont you.you are one miseab le creature.lol
a better word might have been. NAH! that word is okay. this idiot should have kept his nose out of politics, it might just have saved his lost soul if he had.

as it is, some day his soul will be required of him over his hatred and mockery(like you try with me) OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE.
god will judge him some day because of that and find him wanting, not even to say, about his false teaching of OSAS which is why you people think that you and he can do anything that you want and still declare yourself a christian.

and the fact that I am in agreement with how God feels about the jewish people makes me very certain that I am on very stable ground, not forgiving him over his evil remarks.
preston

Waverly, OH

#402150 Nov 14, 2012
THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS. POLITIC SHOULD STAY OUT OF THE PULPIT. WHICH IS WHY ARE DENOMINATION STRICTLY FORBIDS IT.

CHICAGO, Nov 12 (Reuters)- Political watchdog and secularist groups are asking the U.S. government to investigate whether Catholic bishops and a Christian evangelical group headed by preacher Billy Graham should lose tax breaks for telling followers how to vote in this year's election.

Under constitutional protections of free speech and separation of church and state, churches are free to speak on any issue. But they risk losing tax breaks worth $145 billion in the past decade if they violate Internal Revenue Service rules by promoting or opposing any particular candidate. Other non-profits also have special tax status.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a political watchdog group, in its complaint to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, cited reports of individual bishops "abusing their positions to advocate against the election of President Barack Obama."

HIT THE IDIOT GRAHAM IN HIS POCKETBOOK AND LISTEN TO HIM SQUEAL
preston

Waverly, OH

#402151 Nov 14, 2012
4GVN wrote:
thankfully, I can say what I want against someone without being condemmed.

For if you forgive men when {they sin against you}SEE THOSE FEW WORDS, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

so my words like always are Biblically correct as BILLY GRAHAM NEVER SINNED AGAINST ME BUT AGAINST GOD AND ONLY GOD CAN FORGIVE THAT.

NEXT TIME TRY AND FIND A BIBLICAL PRINCIPLE THAT I MISPOKE OF.LOL@U
preston

Waverly, OH

#402152 Nov 14, 2012
hey, filthy guy, just how long have you been trying to find fault with me and losing? years?

you are a loser and it shows.
preston

Waverly, OH

#402153 Nov 14, 2012
4GVN wrote:
who would follow afilthy mouth behind the back idiot like YOu/ would be a better question.

since I went to bed hours ago and like a coward, you post about me rather than face me .

didnt figure I would be up at 4 did you? what name ddi you go by before when I made you look foolish some years ago? why are you hiding it now, are you like the sda that I butchered some years ago too?

trolls both of you
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#402154 Nov 14, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, exactly like these 39 heresies from the Roman Catholic CULT!
We have another Roman liar in the camp!!!
1. Sacerdotal mass instituted by Cyprian 3rd c.
2. Prayers for the dead A.D. 300
3. Making the sign of the cross A.D. 300
4. Veneration of angels, dead saints, and images A.D. 375
5. Mass became a daily ritual A.D. 394
6. Beginning of exaltation of Mary, term "Mother of God" first applied to her by Council of Ephesus A.D. 431
7. Priests began to wear special clothing A.D. 500
8. Extreme Unction (Rite of Healing) A.D. 526
9. The doctrine of Purgatory by Gregory I A.D. 593
10. Latin used in worship A.D. 600
11. Prayers offered to Mary, dead saints and angels A.D. 600
12. First man to be proclaimed Pope (Boniface III) A.D. 610
13. Kissing the Pope's feet A.D. 709
14. Temporal power of Popes, conferred by Pepon, King of the Franks A.D. 750
15. Veneration of cross, images, relics authorized A.D. 786
16. Holy water, mixed with pinch of salt, chrism, and blessed by a priest A.D. 850
17. Veneration of St. Joseph A.D. 890
18. Canonization of dead saints by Pope John XV A.D. 995
19. Fasting on Fridays and Lent A.D. 998
20. The Mass developed gradually as a sacrifice, attendance made obligatory 11th c.
21. Celibacy of priests declared A.D. 1079
22. Rosary adopted (pagan) by Peter the Hermit A.D. 1090
23. The Inquisition instituted by Council of Verona A.D. 1184
24. Sale of indulgences A.D. 1190
25. Seven Sacraments, defined by Peter Lombard 12th c.
26. Transubstantiation, defined by Innocent III A.D. 1215
27. Auricular confession (Rite of reconciliation) of sins to a priest instead of God, instituted by Innocent III A.D. 1215
28. Adoration of the wafer (called the Host), decreed by Pope Honorius III A.D. 1220
29. Scapular invented by Simon Stock of England A.D. 1251
30. The cup forbidden to the laity at communion by Council of Constance A.D. 1414
31. Purgatory proclaimed as a dogma by the Council of Florence in A.D. 1439
32. Tradition declared of equal authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent A.D. 1545
33. Apocryphal books are added to the Bible by the Council of Trent A.D. 1546
34. Creed of Pope Pius IV imposed as the official creed in place of the original Apostolic Creed A.D. 1560
35. Immaculate Conception of Mary (not virgin birth) proclaimed by Pope Pius IX A.D. 1854
36. Syllabus of Errors proclaimed by Pope Pius IX and ratified by the Vatican Council; condemned freedom of religion, conscience, speech, press and scientific discoveries which are disapproved by the Roman Church; asserted the Pope's temporal authority over all civil rulers A.D. 1864
37. Infallibility of the Pope in matters of faith and morals proclaimed by the Vatican Council A.D. 1870
38. Assumption of Mary proclaimed by Pius XII A.D. 1950
39. Mary proclaimed the "Mother of the Church" by Pope Paul VI A.D. 1965
What a bunch of anti-Catholic BS!!!!!!!!!! The Catholic Churches teachings are composed of the "original doctrines, biblical and traditional beliefs along with the articles of faith, which began over 2000 years ago.......... The word "heresy" is defined as opposition that originates (directly) from a "professed believer" (Christian or non-Christian) whose "religious (OPINIONS) are "CONTRARY TO--AND OPPOSE" to those original "truths of doctrine"......... Since the original doctrine of these truth ORIGINATED FROM JESUS CHRISTS ONE TRUE APOSTOLIC CATHOLIC CHURCH (2000 years ago)--There can be "no such thing" as Catholic heresy----ONLY ---Protestant--BIBLE ONLY --agnostic---or atheistic---HERESY,.....ALL of which are
anti-catholic heresies that have existed for over 2000 years beginning with the Arian heresis in the 3rd century.-----The truth of history is "clear"..... Heretics, like you, Confrinting, Orville, 4GVN, Michael, justachristian, jethro8, LTM, Pad and (those who I have missed)....... have "come and gone" for over 2000 years---YET THE CHURCH LIVES ON!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#402155 Nov 14, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, exactly like these 39 heresies from the Roman Catholic CULT!
We have another Roman liar in the camp!!!
1. Sacerdotal mass instituted by Cyprian 3rd c.
2. Prayers for the dead A.D. 300
3. Making the sign of the cross A.D. 300
4. Veneration of angels, dead saints, and images A.D. 375
5. Mass became a daily ritual A.D. 394
6. Beginning of exaltation of Mary, term "Mother of God" first applied to her by Council of Ephesus A.D. 431
7. Priests began to wear special clothing A.D. 500
8. Extreme Unction (Rite of Healing) A.D. 526
9. The doctrine of Purgatory by Gregory I A.D. 593
10. Latin used in worship A.D. 600
11. Prayers offered to Mary, dead saints and angels A.D. 600
12. First man to be proclaimed Pope (Boniface III) A.D. 610
13. Kissing the Pope's feet A.D. 709
14. Temporal power of Popes, conferred by Pepon, King of the Franks A.D. 750
15. Veneration of cross, images, relics authorized A.D. 786
16. Holy water, mixed with pinch of salt, chrism, and blessed by a priest A.D. 850
17. Veneration of St. Joseph A.D. 890
18. Canonization of dead saints by Pope John XV A.D. 995
19. Fasting on Fridays and Lent A.D. 998
20. The Mass developed gradually as a sacrifice, attendance made obligatory 11th c.
21. Celibacy of priests declared A.D. 1079
22. Rosary adopted (pagan) by Peter the Hermit A.D. 1090
23. The Inquisition instituted by Council of Verona A.D. 1184
24. Sale of indulgences A.D. 1190
25. Seven Sacraments, defined by Peter Lombard 12th c.
26. Transubstantiation, defined by Innocent III A.D. 1215
27. Auricular confession (Rite of reconciliation) of sins to a priest instead of God, instituted by Innocent III A.D. 1215
28. Adoration of the wafer (called the Host), decreed by Pope Honorius III A.D. 1220
29. Scapular invented by Simon Stock of England A.D. 1251
30. The cup forbidden to the laity at communion by Council of Constance A.D. 1414
31. Purgatory proclaimed as a dogma by the Council of Florence in A.D. 1439
32. Tradition declared of equal authority with the Bible by the Council of Trent A.D. 1545
33. Apocryphal books are added to the Bible by the Council of Trent A.D. 1546
34. Creed of Pope Pius IV imposed as the official creed in place of the original Apostolic Creed A.D. 1560
35. Immaculate Conception of Mary (not virgin birth) proclaimed by Pope Pius IX A.D. 1854
36. Syllabus of Errors proclaimed by Pope Pius IX and ratified by the Vatican Council; condemned freedom of religion, conscience, speech, press and scientific discoveries which are disapproved by the Roman Church; asserted the Pope's temporal authority over all civil rulers A.D. 1864
37. Infallibility of the Pope in matters of faith and morals proclaimed by the Vatican Council A.D. 1870
38. Assumption of Mary proclaimed by Pius XII A.D. 1950
39. Mary proclaimed the "Mother of the Church" by Pope Paul VI A.D. 1965
What a bunch of anti-Catholic BS!!!!!!!!!! The Catholic Churches teachings are composed of the "original doctrines, biblical and traditional beliefs along with the articles of faith, which began over 2000 years ago.......... The word "heresy" is defined as opposition that originates (directly) from a "professed believer or group" (Christian or non-Christian) whose "religious (OPINIONS) are "CONTRARY TO--AND OPPOSE" to those original "truths of doctrine"......... Since the original doctrine of these truth ORIGINATED FROM JESUS CHRISTS ONE TRUE APOSTOLIC CATHOLIC CHURCH (2000 years ago)--There can be "no such thing" as Catholic heresy----ONLY ---Protestant--BIBLE ONLY --agnostic---or atheistic---HERESY,.....ALL of which are
anti-catholic heresies that have existed for over 2000 years beginning with the Arian heresis in the 3rd century.-----The truth of history is "clear"..... Heretics, like you, Confrinting, Orville, 4GVN, Michael, justachristian, jethro8, LTM, Pad and (those who I have missed)....... have "come and gone" for over 2000 years---YET THE CHURCH LIVES ON!!!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#402156 Nov 14, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bunch of anti-Catholic BS!!!!!!!!!! The Catholic Churches teachings are composed of the "original doctrines, biblical and traditional beliefs along with the articles of faith, which began over 2000 years ago.......... The word "heresy" is defined as opposition that originates (directly) from a "professed believer or group" (Christian or non-Christian) whose "religious (OPINIONS) are "CONTRARY TO--AND OPPOSE" to those original "truths of doctrine"......... Since the original doctrine of these truth ORIGINATED FROM JESUS CHRISTS ONE TRUE APOSTOLIC CATHOLIC CHURCH (2000 years ago)--There can be "no such thing" as Catholic heresy----ONLY ---Protestant--BIBLE ONLY --agnostic---or atheistic---HERESY,.....ALL of which are
You people yell an awful lot. Is that something the church teaches, or is it your personality?
SKYDIVER

Johannesburg, South Africa

#402157 Nov 14, 2012
A church with a very suspect history AND a decadent present.....The true church of God?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#402158 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you would give God the glory that He deserves and stop saying you a sinful man has to do your part for salvation.
God gives us the faith to believe
God is working through us as Christians
One verse and yet says it all eh Hankie.
Chuckie,

God gets the glory in everything in my life....

Praise the Lord....

You didn't answer my question, WHY???

God's part.....

Man's part.....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#402159 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
If we have to do something how is it not a works based salvation?
See Chuckie, this is where you are wrong....you get this from your false doctrine that you follow in OSAS....

It is NOT a works based salvation......
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#402160 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Hankie I give you too much credit. It was just an illustration
Wow Hankie you said "Christmas gift doesn't even come close to your SOUL"
Them some intelligent words. How long did it take you to realize this?
Sorry Chuckie, you are the one who brought up the Christmas gift.....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#402161 Nov 14, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>then again,
why arent everyone Saved, just answer that one.ok?
and to go further, I believe that we have to do something to keep that gift too.
if you live a life of sin after you get saved, see if God allows you into heaven
Again, great teachings....

Don't understand why Chuckie can't see this???

But that would be because of the false doctrine that he follows...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#402162 Nov 14, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
Does God darken the hearts of folks?
"if you live a life of sin after you get saved, see if God allows you into heaven" - God has something to say about that Preston
1 John 3:99 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
***so if you live a life of sin you may want to check if you're really saved**
Romans 1:21

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but [[[[[their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.]]]]]

Ephesians 4:18

18 They are darkened in their understanding and [[[[[separated from the life of God]]]]] because of ~~~~~the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.~~~~~

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min River Tam 744,260
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 4 min USSR 36,921
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min I B Eagle 228,600
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 22 min RADEKT 260,232
Is Christianity a Religion? (Nov '08) 28 min yon 89
Topix posters who are children of Satan the Devil 32 min Doctor REALITY 4
Is Chris Brown a Gang Member Now? 33 min DJames181 4
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 38 min BenAdam 601,443
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr WesternNationsAWo... 174,211

Top Stories People Search