Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 559,046
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#401989 Nov 13, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe most faiths have something to offer.
You are the one who claims a degree of perfection. When such a bold claim is made, it invites scrutiny of the claim.
A close inspection of history and real world facts reveals the absurdity of the claim.
A statement of faith, OK. But when you argue this (or any) faith as fact, then you have a problem.
You are mixing what the Church teaches vs. the fact that there is sin in the Church. Admittedly there were/are a lot of bad players in the CC. It reminds me of Jesus telling the Jews to listen to what the pharisees teach, but don't necessarily follow the bad one's example.

I believe the Catholic Church teaches perfection because she teaches what the perfect teacher teaches. The prefect teacher said there no perfect people.
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#401990 Nov 13, 2012
What could be more evil, and unGodly than asking that God would send someone to hell? Pray for him if you disagree. Ask God to change his heart. These might be things that a christian would do. But what Presto did is as unGodly and unchristian and full of hate as can be done. And yet He continually judges others and continually brings up anything he can to condemn. HERE is Preston's post....... You be the judge.........."" "graham ought tokeep his nose out of politics and I will never forgive him""".

"May God find him a nice quite out of the way place in a hot community. where the sun never shines." ..........

NOW UNTRUTH, the question is how ccould anyone follow or give thiere alligience to a person like this???
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#401991 Nov 13, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Romney was a strong candidate and I think he ran a good campaign.
The short answer -- extremism and disrespect.
You completely passed over what I said about the illegal immigrant, cheap labor scam. That is one example. But in the end, I doubt if you will ever get beyond your deep 'skin color' reasoning.
You said the GOP used to get vast majorities of the Cuban vote, but not recently. What was so extreme and disrespectful about Romney's campaign? I can only guess that it was his hard line on immigration. So if you consider GW Bush's large percentage of the Cuban vote and the fact that he was softer on the illegals, one can really only come to one of two conclusions; Either the GOP lost because of Romney's immigration stance, in which case they better change it if they want to win nationally, or, the Latino's voted for Obama because he's a minority, like them. With a very similar skin color, BTW.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#401992 Nov 13, 2012
WE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS FORUM.
WHICH SUBJECT IS
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican.
~~~
QUESTION
DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT THE VATICAN SAYS?
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED ONLY FOR THE ROMAN CATHOLICS...
If so
where is it written in the Bible..
Book chapter nd verse please.

#401993 Nov 13, 2012
who="Anthony MN"
Ok. What if someone says they are saved, but think that the "good things" being done in other denominations by saved people aren't necessary? Who decides?

Easy...God does. Good things are always in order. Everyone should do good things. You just can't buy your salvation with them.

KayMarie
Fr Robert Dye

United States

#401994 Nov 13, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
QUESTION
CAN YOU TELL ME HOW A PERSON IS SUPPOSED TO SEPARATE GOD.
FROM HIS WORD...
THE BIBLE SAYS
THAT JESUS
AND
THE SPOKEN WORD OF GOD
ARE ONE AND THE SAME...
____
Joh_1:14
==> And the Word was made flesh,
and dwelt among us,<==
(and we beheld his glory,
the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)
full of grace and truth.
Wow.
Are you now saying you*do* worship the Bible?
I was just poking fun.
The last time a Catholic (think it was Clay) asserted that we (Catholics) do not worship saints, "you" (was it Kay Marie?) posted "Yes, you do. You say you don't, but you do."
I thought that was completely outrageous.
Then I saw you deny that you worship the Bible, and I figured the same reasoning must apply.
No?
Rob

#401995 Nov 13, 2012
who="OldJG" ANYONE......THE QUESTION STILL REMAINS
PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE give an answer. ANYONE!
Can someone explain how a person can lose their salvation? Please provide a Biblical account and the specific name or names of those who lost the salvation they truly received.
The Bible tells us what we must do to be saved:
Acts 16:30-31, "And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."
The Bible is crystal clear when it describes what we must do to be saved. Knowing exactly what is required to be saved, wouldn't the Bible provide the same clarity by describing how the saved can be unsaved?
Where does the Bible tell us what we must do to be UNsaved?

Rev.3:5 and Rev.3:16

KayMarie
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#401996 Nov 13, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM you do not speak for God, HIS Son Jesus Christ, NOR do you speak for the TRUTH of the Gospel of Christ. In fact the only person that you speak for, is your OWN distorted and confused "personal opinionated" judgmental and condemning soul!! YOU are not the "final judge" of ANYONE ELSE'S faith and Salvation in Jesus Christ. And if you think you are ---then ----please tell us ---"WHO APPOINTED YOU---other than YOURSELF!!!!! Your dubious and fallacious response CONTINUES to show how "ridiculous, mis-leading,(DESPERATELY) "out of touch" you are as a "bible only" half-truth, half-heresy" so-called Christian!!!
You know HoJo, you have never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ.
You never heard it in a protestant church , nor have you heard it in a catholic church.
BECAUSE YOU HAVE CLOSED YOUR MIND AND HEART TO WHAT THE SPIRIT SAYS TO THE TRUE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST.
(WHICH BY THE WAY IS NOT PROTESTANT NOR IS IT CATHOLIC.)
I BELIEVE THE BIBLE BECAUSE IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR JESUS, WHO KEPT SAYING TO THE DISCIPLES AND THE PHARISEE'S, AND THE DEVIL IT IS WRITTEN. WHE JESUS STOOD UP IN THE TEMPLE AND STARTED PREACHING HE READ FOR THE WRITTEN WORD, WHICH WAS SPEAKING OF HIM.
PICK UP THE BIBLE AND READ IT YOUR SELF HOJO. OR ARE YOU LIKE MOST CATHOLIC'S FULL OF PRIDE PREVENTS YOU FROM SEEKING GOD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#401997 Nov 13, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
Remember, this is the same "one true" church that sang the praises of Bonito Mussolini for decades.
http://voicefaithful.wordpress.com/2012/11/12...
Perfect teachings on morals? Pleeeezzzzzzzz
Perfect teachings on faith and morals. Yes. Perfect adherence to the perfect teaching on faith and morals? Nope.
Fr Robert Dye

United States

#401998 Nov 13, 2012
WE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE SUBJECT OF THIS FORUM.
WHICH SUBJECT IS
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican.
~~~
QUESTION
DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT THE VATICAN SAYS?
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED ONLY FOR THE ROMAN CATHOLICS...
If so
where is it written in the Bible..
Book chapter nd verse please.
And ... going back to that, the Vatican NEVER said that, because that would exclude some 20+ Rites within the Catholic Church.
.What the headline misinterprtes is a statement from a discussion at a conference, in which they were defining what the term "church" actually meant in their discussions.
The Jesuits are not, strictly speaking, a "church." They would be a "faith community."
The "Orthodox Church" would, strictly speaking, be a "church," even though they are not part of the Catholic Church (at least not formally. Informally is more than open to debate.
For purposes of discussion, the Baptists are closer to a "faith community" than a "church," because of some of the charateristics the term "church" implies ... governance by a bishop would be an obvious one, but not necessarily an essential one.
For example, using the imaginary "Baptist Rite of the Catholic Church:"
They might not, in fact, be governed by a bishop. I could see it as being governed by a board of governers, elected by representatives of each district, elected by each individual local faith community. These governors would then submit a letter requesting union with the Roman See, even though they would not be technically "subject" to it. Would THAT qualify as a "church?"
Yeah. I am pretty sure it would.
.But reading the statement about "true Church" he as having the opposite as "false church" would be a misreading.
Is the tomato a true vegetable?
If not, does that make it a "false vegetable?"
Or is it simply a matter of the tomato being, speaking under quite strict definition, a fruit?
.The statement was not to say that these other churches do not have salvation. That is NOT what the Vatican was saying. One has only to read "Lumen Gentium" to know better than that.
Theperson who wrotethe headline was a troll, trying to be inflammatory, and it worked quite well.
Rob
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#401999 Nov 13, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, St. Paul told him to believe and he will be saved. However, St. Paul's idea of "believing", as supported by his substantial preaching on the matter, is different than what you and the OSASers think "believing" is.
I've tried to get some others to explain what belief means to them. Can you tell me what it means to you? Is loving Jesus part of your believing in Him?
So are you now reluctantly admitting and agreeing that Paul and Silas did indeed answer the jailors question. "what must I do to be saved?" And that answer was clearly given. Paul did NOT say and then I will add more to the requirement later. He did not tell the jailor that if he happened to see him again he would tell him the rest of the story. And he did not send him away unprepared to meet Jesus. Though you would like to tell us that he did, to fit you RCC beliefs, but it just ain't so Anthony. Read it. Think about it. Accept it. And embrace it. That is true GRACE!
LTM

#402000 Nov 13, 2012
HOJO

Luke 4

King James Version (KJV)

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.

4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

9 And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:

10 For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:

11 And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

13 And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.

15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

23 And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.

24 And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country.

25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;

26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.

27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian.

28 And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,

29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.

30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way,

31 And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.

32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#402001 Nov 13, 2012
who="Anthony MN"
Ok. What if someone says they are saved, but think that the "good things" being done in other denominations by saved people aren't necessary? Who decides?
Easy...God does. Good things are always in order. Everyone should do good things. You just can't buy your salvation with them.
KayMarie
So you and your husband speak for God?
4GVN

Wentzville, MO

#402002 Nov 13, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, St. Paul told him to believe and he will be saved. However, St. Paul's idea of "believing", as supported by his substantial preaching on the matter, is different than what you and the OSASers think "believing" is.
I've tried to get some others to explain what belief means to them. Can you tell me what it means to you? Is loving Jesus part of your believing in Him?
So you are almost,though reluctantly agreeing with Paul and Silas. They did indeed answer his sincere and direct question, FULLY. The did not say that we will tell you the rest of the requirements later. Paul did not say that 'well if our paths ever cross again I might tell what ADDITIONAL requirements there are. They answered his question COMPLETELY! Read it again Anthony. Study it. Think about it. This is true.... GRACE.

#402003 Nov 13, 2012
who="Fr Robert Dye"
Wow.
I was just poking fun.
The last time a Catholic (think it was Clay) asserted that we (Catholics) do not worship saints, "you" (was it Kay Marie?) posted "Yes, you do. You say you don't, but you do."
Then I saw you deny that you worship the Bible, and I figured the same reasoning must apply. No?
Rob

The Bible is the single-most valuable item a man can own. Call that worship if you will. Yes, I said, "you say you don't, but you do" simply because that is the way that you present saints, crucifix's, Pope's and other Catholic items. CC's infer that we are un-Christian because we respect the Bible...thus declaring their dis-respect of it.

You think that is outrageous?

KayMarie
LTM

#402004 Nov 13, 2012
HOJO
TELL ME THE MEANING OF THIS BIBLE VERSE.
Isaiah 55 >>
King James Version

----------
1Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
2Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

3Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.

4Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.

5Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the LORD thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee.

6Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

12For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

13Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

----------
preston

Waverly, OH

#402005 Nov 13, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you and your husband speak for God?
could you clarify this question.

are they talking for him when they are rolling on the floor or when they get up trough the help of a lift machine?

but if their conversation is through the jibber jabber that their denomination is famous for, who is correct, her or him hiding behind her skirt or pants since she seems to be de man!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#402006 Nov 13, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So are you now reluctantly admitting and agreeing that Paul and Silas did indeed answer the jailors question. "what must I do to be saved?" And that answer was clearly given. Paul did NOT say and then I will add more to the requirement later. He did not tell the jailor that if he happened to see him again he would tell him the rest of the story. And he did not send him away unprepared to meet Jesus. Though you would like to tell us that he did, to fit you RCC beliefs, but it just ain't so Anthony. Read it. Think about it. Accept it. And embrace it. That is true GRACE!
If you're going to isolate this one verse from Acts to the exclusion of the gospels and the rest of the NT, I don't know why you even bother with the bible.

The jailer and his houehold were immediately baptized, so yes, there is more to "believing" than just mouthing the words. Notice that St. Paul also told him that his whole household would be saved based on faith of the jailer, which incidently supports infant baptism.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#402007 Nov 13, 2012
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So you are almost,though reluctantly agreeing with Paul and Silas. They did indeed answer his sincere and direct question, FULLY. The did not say that we will tell you the rest of the requirements later. Paul did not say that 'well if our paths ever cross again I might tell what ADDITIONAL requirements there are. They answered his question COMPLETELY! Read it again Anthony. Study it. Think about it. This is true.... GRACE.
BTW, I've tried to get some others to explain what belief means to them. Can you tell me what it means to you? Is loving Jesus part of your believing in Him?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#402008 Nov 13, 2012
who="Fr Robert Dye"
Wow.
I was just poking fun.
Then I saw you deny that you worship the Bible, and I figured the same reasoning must apply. No?
Rob
The Bible is the single-most valuable item a man can own. Call that worship if you will. Yes, I said, "you say you don't, but you do" simply because that is the way that you present saints, crucifix's, Pope's and other Catholic items. CC's infer that we are un-Christian because we respect the Bible...thus declaring their dis-respect of it.
You think that is outrageous?
KayMarie
"CC's infer that we are un-Christian because we respect the Bible...thus declaring their dis-respect of it."

If you were to observe the Liturgy of the Word in a Catholic mass you would realize how wrong you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min Seraphima 604,838
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 33 min Pokay 774,048
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 2 hr Neelakaran 1,243
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 2 hr bmz 37,798
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 265,020
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr bad bob 175,556
Moses never existed 3 hr Hidingfromyou 729
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 8 hr HipGnosis 441,755
More from around the web