Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 659009 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#396763 Oct 16, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>He or she never claimed to be a Christian,he or she mocks our belief that Jesus is God.
"our?"

- sorry Pad, I don't agree with you on the "Jesus is God" belief.

He was just a man.

But if you believe in all of his teachings, you will realize this also.

But you don't.

Whose problem does this become now?

Albuquerque, NM

#396764 Oct 16, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Does this mean that because one perceives differently, that self is a part of Self? No. Quite the opposite. Rather it means one cannot think themselves into salvation, by a mind, and as you write ultimately the self/Self....
I am taking notes....
"Salvation" - if attainable in the "Christain" mindset (note 'mindset') requires Self - in all that is done.

I disagree on it being the opposite.

Our 'being' is ours - noone elses, formed by what the individual does in life - including how perception is carried forth.

Carl Jung stated it pretty good - paraphrased here - "the thoughts of the mind are sythentic."

meaning we have generated them.

Can you tell me one instance that you do not use the mind?
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#396765 Oct 16, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
In the least, you are researching the information.
Maybe it will enlighten you?
Remember these words you posted, when Dec 21, 2012 comes around:
"The New Age Movement is both a religious and a social movement. In fact, Western culture is currently experiencing a phenomenal, spiritual, ideological, and sociological shift."
You don't say ....lol
LTM

Geraldton, Canada

#396766 Oct 16, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Make some popcorn, bring you're favorite beverage, sit on the bleachers, and watch the fighting begin!
Just be careful of the mud paddies being thrown back and forth, some have been known to hit the crowd.
LOL As long as they aren't arrows, or what robes and burning cross.
Mud can be washed off.
LTM

Geraldton, Canada

#396767 Oct 16, 2012
Bible Verse of the Day.

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

Joel 2:28 (KJV)

www.Christ.com

Where Needs Are Met
A devotion for October 16th
Read the Scripture: Psalm 23:2-3a
Psalm 23:2-3a
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

New International Version
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul (Psalm 23:2-3a).

In this psalm David enumerates the ways in which the Good Shepherd meets our needs. The first thing He does is to meet the needs of the inner person, the basic needs that we have for nourishment within. The basic needs of a flock of sheep are grass and water. Here is the very picturesque scene of sheep bedded down in grassy meadows, having eaten their fill and now totally satisfied, and then being led by still waters. Sheep are afraid of running water; they will drink only from a quiet pool. A good shepherd, particularly in a semi-arid region such as Palestine, knows where the watering holes are. He knows where the grassy meadows are. And so he leads the sheep into places where they can rest and feed and where they can drink. The picture is one of calm and tranquility, because the basic needs of the sheep are met.

The counterpart in our lives is obvious. It is God who restores the inner person through His Word. As we feed upon the Word of God we see the Lord Jesus there. We draw upon Him, and our inner person is satisfied. The Word of God brings us, first, to the person of Christ.“Beyond the sacred page,” the hymn says,“we see thee, Lord.” We see Him, and we eat and drink of Him, and we discover Him to be the resource that we need. As Paul says,“Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day”(2 Corinthians 4:16). Our souls are restored. How? As we feed upon Him. As we come to know Him, believe what He says, and act on His word, we discover that the inner person is fed.

A Bible study I led met one evening a week in a fraternity house at Stanford University. Our basic assumption there was that the Bible is the authority. No one really taught the class; we simply opened up the Word, and the men in the group made observations. Last week a student from Austria sat in with us. He shared some of his thinking with us and made a real contribution to the group. Afterward, as we were leaving, he made this comment:“I'm so thankful I could be here tonight, because I discovered that you men have found direct access to God through this book.”

Have you discovered that access? In times of deep, dire need, when we cast about for help, it is no farther away than God's Word. Everything we need to nourish the inner person is right there. As Peter says,“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness”(2 Peter 1:3). Everything we need that relates to life and to living godly lives in the world is available in Him. I wonder if we are employing that resource.

Lord, thank You for Your Word. May it be to me like green pastures and still waters, leaving me fully satisfied in You.

Life Application: Are we learning to find green pastures and still waters in the written Words of God. Do we see there the Good Shepherd who is our Life?

From your friends at
www.RayStedman.org
marge

Leesburg, GA

#396768 Oct 16, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
good friend
Good morning....
First things first, next things, then, last things last. And next thing we write about prayer. Then we can talk about the first being last, and last being first....(smile)
Can you give me an Amen?
No one takes the place of Jesus. No one can add, or take away from him. Amen! Can I get an Amen?
Give me a shock, and answer "Amen."...(smile)
well Robert that was my point that people do put things in the place of Jesus, like purgatory, good works, prayers to Mary and Saints. Those things do indeed take away and add to what Jesus did and who He is.

Albuquerque, NM

#396769 Oct 16, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>You don't say ....lol
I do say.

12-21-12 - IMO - will be the beginning of a consciousness change - a change to the way people think.

Of course, this will not jsut happen overnight - it will be the onset of this change.

Live in love - and you too can be part of this change.

Dropping the "hatred" of others and their beliefs will also bring one to this change.

Once the dismay is gone, the only thing viable is the astonishment received.
Free Mind

Eaton Park, FL

#396770 Oct 16, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
....good friend
I think you get the point. Devotion doesn't become worship. And worship doesn't become devotion. They never become each other.
One can have a career, and in it find a way and means of performing obligations that are suited to that career....That doesn't mean one loves their career....
Some of the RCC promote various ways and means of performing obligations. One of these are devotions....
I hope that isn't too simple?
Thanks you. I know you are answering in good faith.

OK, so when does the obligation of devotion become necessary to save souls?

e.g. Mary says at Fatima...

"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace."
LTM

Geraldton, Canada

#396771 Oct 16, 2012
Michael, you want proof that god exist and to convince you you want to see a limb grow back.
That would be easy for God because He made us in the first place.

God on the other hand is interested, in the broken hearted, because a broken man, would be broken with one leg or two.
A soul that is tormented Michael is more a cripple the a man with no legs.
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#396772 Oct 16, 2012
DayStorm wrote:
Farewell to the American Protestant Majority
According to a new study by the Pew Forum, Protestants are, for the first time in history, not a majority in the United States of America. I don’t think that’s anything for evangelical Protestants, or anyone else, to panic about.
Several years ago, I pointed out here that studies were showing a declining Protestant majority, and projections were being made for this very reality. Now, the surveys says we have a 48 percent plurality of Protestants. I wasn’t frantic about that several years ago, and I’m still not.
When working toward our “God and country” badges, my childhood Boy Scout troop was shuttled over to the neighborhood United Methodist church for sessions with the pastor about being good Christians and good citizens. I remember my Southern Baptist sensibilities being shocked when the pastor said, in response to a question, that he didn’t believe in angels or demons. The reigning cultural presence of mainline Protestantism served the same purpose as the “God and country” badge. Give us enough Christianity to fight the communists and save the Republic, they said, but let’s remember not to take it all too seriously.
That culture is over.
Frankly, we should be more concerned about the loss of a Christian majority in the Protestant churches than about the loss of a Protestant majority in the United States. Most of the old-line Protestant denominations are captive to every theological fad that has blown through their divinity schools in the past thirty years-from crypto-Marxist liberation ideologies to sexual identity politics to a neo-pagan vision of God—complete with gender neutralized liturgies. Should we lament the fact that the Riverside Avenue Protestant establishment is now collapsing under the weight of its own bureaucracy?
http://www.russellmoore.com/2012/10/09/farewe...
Let's face it Protestants, you have a real problem on your hand that you have created.
How much of this cultural shift is due to immagration?
4GVN

Saint Louis, MO

#396773 Oct 16, 2012
HOJO:.........I asked you about a specific verse and a specific quote. and as usual you launch into your parrot act. I will give you another chance.....What exactly do you believe is meant by the statement you aften quote: "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"?.........
Still waiting for a resonse.
Free Mind

Eaton Park, FL

#396774 Oct 16, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
...good friend
Titles I have forgotten. They are nothing to me now....
Family....I became a minority of none in my extended worldly family....
But I am joyful....
I don't think I really have seen persecution in my life....
I admit, this is a first for me.

I have not heard of, nor known of any other person in the USA whose entire extended family has rejected them because they were Christian, or any other religion.

I know Jews who have become Christian. I know a Christian who became a Jew. A older relative became upset maybe, but their entire extended family? Amazing!

I'm sorry to hear your family is so closed-minded. That is not the norm thankfully.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396775 Oct 16, 2012
<quoted text>
I wonder who would show up if the decision to "re-write" the Bible, was upheld.
First we would have to determine with certainty who the real writers were.

Why do christians always say ACCORDING to MATTHEW, ACCORDING to MARK...etc.

If they were sure wouldn't they say WRITTEN by MATTHEW, WRITTEN by MARK....etc.

ACCORDING to, sounds kind of foggy to me....

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#396776 Oct 16, 2012
<quoted text>
"Salvation" - if attainable in the "Christain" mindset (note 'mindset') requires Self - in all that is done.
I disagree on it being the opposite.
Our 'being' is ours - noone elses, formed by what the individual does in life - including how perception is carried forth.
Carl Jung stated it pretty good - paraphrased here - "the thoughts of the mind are sythentic."
meaning we have generated them.
Can you tell me one instance that you do not use the mind?
...good friend

The mind is active but reacts to the environment as well. That is how it functions. That is why it is duplicitous in nature. It can be focused, but remains subject to distraction.

One instance in which the mind is not used?

What you are asking, " Are there transcendental qualities of mind?" To which I say there are degrees of transcendence. Also that there are things visible and invisible. Things which can be sensed, and things which cannot be sensed.

If things cannot be sensed, then they may exist in a reality of which the mind cannot touch(sense). And true these may be delusions, or illusions in the mind. But that is not the question you asked....

Instead, reality may exist in such a way, that the mind cannot grasp. And therefore is reduced to duplicity. And this is why thoughts are synthetic(and can be manipulated) and are generated on a lack of knowing reality....

So salvation requires a Redeemer, with salvific grace beyond the mindset....
MICHAEL

Canada

#396777 Oct 16, 2012
LTM wrote:
Michael, you want proof that god exist and to convince you you want to see a limb grow back.
That would be easy for God because He made us in the first place.
God on the other hand is interested, in the broken hearted, because a broken man, would be broken with one leg or two.
A soul that is tormented Michael is more a cripple the a man with no legs.
I don't know where you come up with this stuff.

Young women pray that it will be a sunny day on their wedding. Farmers in the same location pray for rain. What does God do?? Nothing.

Everyday BILLIONS of prayers are beamed to God, everybody wanting something. MOST people pray for something on Sunday, Gods day off. Thats not very nice is it?

People pray for everything under the sun!

People pray that the hurricane bearing down on their town in Florida will go off course and blow someone elses town away.

People pray to be taller, to be slimmer, to win the big race, to win the game, to have a wife to have a child to have a new car, to win the lottery.

I don't pray. I don't pester God with needless requests. I figure things out myself.

God gives me a thumbs up!

Location hidden

#396778 Oct 16, 2012
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
well Robert that was my point that people do put things in the place of Jesus, like purgatory, good works, prayers to Mary and Saints. Those things do indeed take away and add to what Jesus did and who He is.
marge good friend....

I think your right....

But lets agree to qualify that a little and say," ...that "some" people do put things in place of Jesus, like purgatory, good works, prayers to Mary and Saints.

And those things do indeed take away and add to what Jesus did, and who He is...."

Now can we get back to Jesus?

No one takes the place of Jesus. No one can add, or take away from him. Amen! Can I get an Amen?
Give me a double shock, and answer "Amen."...(smile)

Location hidden

#396779 Oct 16, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit, this is a first for me.
I have not heard of, nor known of any other person in the USA whose entire extended family has rejected them because they were Christian, or any other religion.
I know Jews who have become Christian. I know a Christian who became a Jew. A older relative became upset maybe, but their entire extended family? Amazing!
I'm sorry to hear your family is so closed-minded. That is not the norm thankfully.
....lol.

I think its much more common that you suspect....
Fr Robert Dye

Subiaco, AR

#396780 Oct 16, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Nope the Lord was not addressing Peter.
What on earth difference does THAT make?
Jesus said, of theCenturion, that Hehadnot found such confident faith in all of Israel.
How does that, in ANY reading whatsoever, NOT include Peter?

(Unless you are still wanting yo refer to Pet as "Simon" at this point, which would be an incredibly lame nitpick.)
Rob

Location hidden

#396781 Oct 16, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks you. I know you are answering in good faith.
OK, so when does the obligation of devotion become necessary to save souls?
e.g. Mary says at Fatima...
"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace."
good friend....

I don't find it an obligation of devotion, rather its the efficiency of a devotion(in this case to the Immaculate Heart of Mary) which we cannot measure but does and will promote the saving of souls....

In simpler words, "Prayer changes things." And it changes them in such a way that we cannot measure....For instance, WWIII may have broken out between the USSR and the US over the Cuban missle crisis, and millions of people killed.(By the way the Vatican played a role of go-between between these two countries at that time.) This devotion that came out of Fatima was about Russia and a possible war....

So it looks like this devotion might of worked....Hmmm
Fr Robert Dye

Subiaco, AR

#396782 Oct 16, 2012
charles wrote:
<quoted text>
Great rebuttal
you didn't read the post or you really don't see my point?
Well, if your point is that Peter was really nothing special among the disciples or apostles, then my post adds to this.
Catholics already KNOW this about Peter.
In fact, Peter gets pointed out as such a fool, so OFTEN, one might well ask WHy, amongst ALL the apostles and disciples, was he emphasized in this way? What was the REASON?
The Catholic answer is that Jesus chose him. Not for his "greater faith," as that was not especially evident, nor for "great wisdom," as that was not especially evident, either.
What was evident is that Simon made the Grand Proclamation, and in that moment, as the Heart of the Proclamation of the Church is revealed,("Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the Living God"), Jesus will build on the proclamation Peter has made. It is the proclamation that is bedrock, and because Simon has made it, he is entrusted with it. He receives a new name - "Rocky" (or more likely, a diminutive of rock, as diminutives are common forms of affection in many languages, although they don't work as well in English)- and the responsibility for carrying that Proclamation forward, the "keys."
You can do some mental or verbal contortions to avoid this, if you wish, but you don't really have to.
If you don't want to be a Catholic, don't be one. You don't have to jump through any twisted hoops to do that.
Just pray, and follow your natural inclination.
Rob

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 23 min RiversideRedneck 71,231
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 43 min gundee123 5,106
Horny snapchat usernames 44 min Hardspark 14
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr who 283,046
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr _Drifter 974,888
Sex for money URGENT--no to scam please 1 hr bella_ 1
I'll always love you, Bowy...4REAL 2 hr Doctor REALITY 3
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 8 hr Fit2Serve 298
More from around the web