Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665307 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Orville

Portland, OR

#396287 Oct 14, 2012
That any person who chooses to profess faith must have documentation that is available to the open source community.

We do The Holy Scriptures, complied and collated by Holy God.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396288 Oct 14, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
I love & fear Holy God. As one does their earthly "Dad". They know Dads love and knows Dads wrath when they step out of line.
<< Proverbs 1 >>
King James Version
----------
1The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
2To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
3To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
4To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
5A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
6To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
7The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Those whom have not embraced God=Jesus, have no fear of "Hell" anyway.
I never feared my earthly DAD. Sorry for you.

Why would any all loving, merciful God want people to fear? Why would you be fearful of God if what you believe you do is good?

I have no fear of hell. Why should I?

I know and practice right from wrong. I follow the laws of the land. I do good turns for someone in need. I have lived a more moral, and ethical life, than many God fearing christians that I have known.
Orville

Portland, OR

#396289 Oct 14, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Factual is something you can prove. Evidence proves fact. The "writings" that you read in the scriptures as recorded are factual, but you have no evidence who the actual authors were, or what they wrote are really factual, because there are no original copies to prove otherwise. A leap of faith is all it is. Not a fact.
You have no proof that Matthew, Mark, Luke John were the actual people who wrote the 4 gospels. No one can verify with any certainty who the actual authors were.
Many biblical scholars today believe that Matthew and Luke copied from Mark.
Like anything in life, if you claim something is true or factual you have back up what you claim with evidence. I am sure there are many writings from 3,000, 2,000, 100, 10 years ago etc. that claim to be factual are bogus or embellished. You know that. Thats our nature...
If you had actual facts, you're religion wouldn't be known only as a belief.
OK. Does the authrors matter? Or the that the truths contained whithin?
90% of people beleive in the Historical references thay were taught. But never question the truth.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396290 Oct 14, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
More semantics.
Another way to explain so many "Divinely Inspired" contradictions.
Full of metaphor, making it especially difficult to translate too.
So what evidence do we have the the RCC interprets such a collection so infallibly?
Has the RCC been a leader in promoting the ideals of Jesus in society? What was the RCC's stance in the day on America's Bill of Rights?
Are Catholic majority societies more moral? Do they have less crime? Do they enjoy greater justice?
On board topic....
The "one true" claim? Where's the beef?
The internet has opened up our world. It provides information that often disputes what the scriptures claim.

For those that WANT to learn about catholic church history, we now have available today "other sides to the story" unbiased information that the catholic church has had a terrible history of not being the moral teacher it always claims to be.

Coverups, lies, deceit, sexual abuse, investigations of the nuns, secret documents, just to name a few just from recent times.

Yes, we know many dedicated followers of the church, have made a good name for the church, by their personal donations and volunteer work. However, we can't dismiss the negative side of many of the teachers of the faith who have failed terribly.
Free Mind

Eaton Park, FL

#396291 Oct 14, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
You never addressed anything in my post regarding the contradictions in the scriptures. When contradictions occur a non-fiction writing then becomes a fiction writing unless the author corrects a mistake. No corrections made.
Maybe you should go back a few thousand posts and correct all the catholics on this forum who have also referred to the bible as a book, and tell them they should have paid closer attention to what they learned.
Lets be clear. I became a catholic not because I chose to be, but as MOST catholics through hand-me-down family tradition ONLY. I became what my parents wanted me to become, just like them, the same reason MOST catholics, protestants, jews become members of their beliefs.
So much for free will, and individualism.
I love his "not a book" dodge.

Yet, upon further inspection, it is certainly NOT like a collection of poetry, where writings can have different "correct" meanings for different people.

No, this collection has only one correct meaning and that correct meaning is interpreted by the RCC. Thus, the contradictions have caused the "correct and perfect" meanings to change many times.

Thus, many levels of theology have been concocted, in order to show why these different interpretations have never been wrong.

Many levels of theology + no comprehensive list of exactly which teachings are top-level and which are not = lots and lots of BS.

Galileo anyone? Now they say Galileo's writings were not again Church teachings, blah, blah. The spin is never-ending.

No one-true church of Jesus or any Greatest Power in the Universe would need so much spin, confusion, and semantics.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396292 Oct 14, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. Does the authrors matter? Or the that the truths contained whithin?
90% of people beleive in the Historical references thay were taught. But never question the truth.
Do the authors matter you say?

If the authors are incorrect (not saying they are) thats deceitful, then one wonders what else is incorrect.

How can you verify to anyone that the writings in the scriptures are true and factual? They are only a belief.

If a person who practices Islam told me all whats written in the Quar'an is truthful should I believe him? What makes you'res true and theirs not?

You say 90% of people believe in the historical references they were taught.

Where can I find this information 90% that you indicate?

If you believe what you were taught is true, and Jews who were born into their belief believe what they were taught is true, who proves one is right and one is not?

What I do know is that today in america (only speaking about the catholic church) according to the roman catholic bishops conference only about 25% of roman catholics across america practice their faith as required. 60 years ago those numbers were reversed.

What has happened to organized religion in the last 60 years in america, where once the majority followed their faith, yet today most don't.

just giving information.........not meant to offend.

MICHAEL

Canada

#396293 Oct 14, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, upon further inspection, it is certainly NOT like a collection of poetry, where writings can have different "correct" meanings for different people.
No, this collection has only one correct meaning and that correct meaning is interpreted by the RCC. Thus, the contradictions have caused the "correct and perfect" meanings to change many times.
Thus, many levels of theology have been concocted, in order to show why these different interpretations have never been wrong.
Many levels of theology + no comprehensive list of exactly which teachings are top-level and which are not = lots and lots of BS.
Galileo anyone? Now they say Galileo's writings were not again Church teachings, blah, blah. The spin is never-ending.
No one-true church of Jesus or any Greatest Power in the Universe would need so much spin, confusion, and semantics.
20 years ago we had very little opportunity to see "the other side" of history of religions. We have always been taught a BIASED belief. We were never taught about others because to the church they didn't matter or what they taugth was wrong.

Today, educated people for the first time are questioning their faith. Questioning what they were taught, but as we know teachers of the faith are usually not open to discuss or have someone question what they teach. I remember that from back in the day.

I would often ask questions in religion class in maybe grade 3 or 4 and the teacher/nun would get so mad and just scream "JUST BELIEVE IT MICHAEL"!!!!!

Next class spelling and then arithmatic and you could ask any questions or ask about any problem solving you wanted to. Religion was off bounds. Sad.......but I remember!

Do you remember that?
Clay

Denver, CO

#396294 Oct 14, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, but know I am puzzled? Then who gave the Vatican the "....on 'authoritive' scripture interpretations...?
Jesus Christ gave the Apostles the authority and Peter the keys. The Apostles passed this authority to the men they ordained to ensure the hierarchy would continue on. What they taught is still what we practice to this day.
Clay

Denver, CO

#396295 Oct 14, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the "Promise" and objective of Holy Spirit if not to guide us in all matters. Particularlly to guide us in Scripture. If left to man, the Scriptures would be just another everyday "journal". having no substance.
THE PURPOSE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1) He convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and of judgment.
John 16:8-11 "And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged."
2) He transforms us in the sight of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
3) He helps us to remember the word of God.
John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."
4) He helps us to lead a godly life.
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit (evidence) of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
5) He gives us spiritual gifts for the edification of believers.
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
1 Corinthians 14:12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
6) He is our guarantee of eternal life with God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
Ephesians 1:13-14 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
7) He empowers us to be witnesses for our Lord Jesus Christ.
John 15:26 "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."
Acts 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
Acts 4:33 And with great gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
1 Corinthians 2:4-5 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
Its irresponsible to think that the Apostle Paul or John was writing to you. Most of those writings were instructing the newly ordained Bishops on dogma, there not a general 'public' letter. True, many writings also apply to us lay people and we can indeed receive the Holy Spirit.but we should not assume we are some kind of authority on scripture.
Again, the Bible was already interpreted by the Apostles (hundreds of yrs before their letters even became... The bible.)
Clay

Denver, CO

#396296 Oct 14, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
More semantics.
Another way to explain so many "Divinely Inspired" contradictions.
Full of metaphor, making it especially difficult to translate too.
So what evidence do we have the the RCC interprets such a collection so infallibly?
Has the RCC been a leader in promoting the ideals of Jesus in society? What was the RCC's stance in the day on America's Bill of Rights?
Are Catholic majority societies more moral? Do they have less crime? Do they enjoy greater justice?
On board topic....
The "one true" claim? Where's the beef?
huh??
Eh, you are not required or forced to believe what we do. So what's your problem?
You and Michael disagree with the Catholic Church. So what? Why the daily obsession..
Can I answer this for you?
You fear a moral authority reminding you that you're living in sin. You feel the need to trash this Church so you can feel more comfortable with the
Choices you made. Its ok, many many people throughout the Church's history tried to make them 'go away'.
I think you should give up. Go after the Mormons or something. You might have more success there.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396297 Oct 14, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>huh??
Eh, you are not required or forced to believe what we do. So what's your problem?
You and Michael disagree with the Catholic Church. So what? Why the daily obsession..
You fear a moral authority reminding you that you're living in sin. You feel the need to trash this Church so you can feel more comfortable with the
Choices you made. Its ok, many many people throughout the Church's history tried to make them 'go away'.
I think you should give up. Go after the Mormons or something. You might have more success there.
What is you're fear that people question you're church? Everyday you and I question all sorts of things. We change our minds, we make decisions.

Questioning is a human condition we all practice in order to learn.

Why so defensive?

Catholics get defensive everytime someone questions their church. Why?
LTM

Geraldton, Canada

#396298 Oct 14, 2012
Orville wrote:
That any person who chooses to profess faith must have documentation that is available to the open source community.
We do The Holy Scriptures, complied and collated by Holy God.
Orville,I get the feeling that the catholic's believe the instructions Jesus gave to the disciples were meant just for them.
Is it John 16:13 Jesus said the Comforter would lead us to all truths. Jesus meant that for everyone who recieves Him as Lord and Savior.
We become disciples of Jesus do we not?? are we all not given gifts,to equip us for minister for the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Some are teacher, preachers, healers, etc the whole body is equiped to do the works predistined before time is this not true??
In other words man doesn't ordain a person for minster God does.
In what ever area of minister God wants that person in.
LTM

Geraldton, Canada

#396299 Oct 14, 2012
Sorry Orville I just re-read my post it sounds like I am questioning you I am not.
I am just asking you.:)
LTM

Geraldton, Canada

#396300 Oct 14, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>huh??
Clay, when I read post from a catholic.
It always startes with "the church teaches , the teachings of the church is such and such". It never says God said such and such or the Bible says this. If the gospel, the Catholic teach are handed down then why don't they match what the bible says.
If you are going by word of mouth handed down; maybe something has been lost in translation, because only the write word would be the same would it not.
I from time to time go to the Hebrew or Greek translation and you know something they, they haven't changed and very close to the King James version of the Bible.
the Catholic Bible , if you read a 1900 to todays it has changed a lot in several areas. That is just in the 4 gospels.
the catechism is nothing like the Bible at all.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#396301 Oct 14, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>you know good and well that I am not catholic. saoif I am mean and nasty to you, I speak that way to people that continuely speak against the Savior and His Word like you have done in the past.
and dont come back and say it is because of people like me that makes you that way.
several years ago, I treated you good until your remarks about the bible, etc.
no i don't know good an well that your not catholic,(short term memory problems)you come off as being catholic because they seem to be the nastiest people here,when taklking about religion,if disagree with them,they bite your head off.it's not people like you or anyone else that make me the way i am,it is my own personal opinion and what i see and read (history) that determine my statements,and i don't know what i said about the bible that has you upset except that it is a book of stories that have been written many times in the past,names and places have been changed to create a whole new story and create christianity,and the catholics took it a step further and combined pagan/christian traditions to create a new ungodly, unholy religion.there is nothing you or anyone else can tell me that would convince me that the popes statement of the C.C. being the true church is acurate,the autrocities of the church make that very clear,nowhere in scripture does jesus/god state the catholic church is his true church and the pope is the vicar of christ,that is a creation of mans ONLY.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396302 Oct 14, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
God is not the author of confusion??

Never has a collection of writings proved more confusion than the bible. 41,001 christian beliefs, and sects "ALL" using the "inspired scriptures" to prove each of their own conflicting doctrines.

Throughout history trained theologens differ with each other over meanings in the scriptures.

Throughout history educated language translators disagree over greek and hebrew meanings in the scriptures.

WHY SO MUCH CONFUSION??

Shouldn't documents such as the scriptures claimed by "ALL" these 41,001 christian beliefs that was "divinely inspired" by an omniscient and omnipotent deity be crystal clear for all?

.....one just needs to see the "BATTLE" of the scriptures on this forum. Catholics versus protestants.

If you miss one, they are just like a bus. Every few minutes another one will come along.
MICHAEL

Canada

#396303 Oct 14, 2012
Orville wrote:
<quoted text>
I love & fear Holy God. As one does their earthly "Dad". They know Dads love and knows Dads wrath when they step out of line.
<< Proverbs 1 >>
King James Version
----------
1The proverbs of Solomon the son of
God=Jesus, have no fear of "Hell" anyway.
edited for space.

As we all now know there were many Gospels written in the early centuries and a large number of them were forgeries. Most! The gospel of judas iscariot, the gospel of paul, bartholemew, the oracles or sayings of christ and many more. Obscure men with agendas wrote gospels attached the names of prominent chhristian characters to them to give them the appearance of importance.

Some were forged in the names of apostles and even in the name of christ.

The early centuries AD, the early church was flooded with religious writings. From all the masses of literature only 4 gospels were selected by the religious priests and called the inspired words of god.

How do we know that these 4 gospels weren't forged? There is NO certainty that they were not.

If Christ was a real historical character, why was it necessary to forge any documents to prove his existance? The early christian forgeries are a bold testimony to the weeakness of the christian cause back in the early days.
Live Action

Union City, OK

#396305 Oct 14, 2012
Praise Yahweh

Since: Nov 08

usa

#396306 Oct 14, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>you know good and well that I am not catholic. saoif I am mean and nasty to you, I speak that way to people that continuely speak against the Savior and His Word like you have done in the past.
and dont come back and say it is because of people like me that makes you that way.
several years ago, I treated you good until your remarks about the bible, etc.
this is the problem,you disagree with a post i made fine disagree, but why do you and others have to be nasty about it?? now i know why religion causes so many wars.and so far no one has proven a saviour exists and the bible is a holy book,it's all hearsay.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#396307 Oct 14, 2012
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>The most accurate sources of HISTORY hojo,is that which was done,recorded,the DEEDS of those who perpetrate evil by control.What is left to us is recorded history,we do not see by any stretch a perfect glorious history of Roman Catholicism.
Naturally there are those who were wonderful saints who were RC,and they may have lifted the standard of righteousness at
The Apparitions of Mary all point to the extreme veneration of Mary,such erroneous doctrines,as the Immaculate Conception of It was never meant to be that any church should have such political control over any peoples,that includes the Reformers as well.Jesus did not start a movement of political activists who take over governments and force people to worship Him in a certain way.
What you fail to understand PAD, is that Jesus Christ established, formed and initiated His One True (Universal-Catholic) Church in Matt 16:13-21, to "save sinners". Just because some its members (fell away)-- from their true commitment and dedication to their vocation (and sinned) does not mean that the Catholic Church does not teach the TRUTH! It is a matter of TRUE DOCTRINE vs CONDUCT
The Church can (and does) teach that it is sin to commit adultery, lie, steal, sexually abuse others, cheat, etc. But that does not guarantee that people will not "fall away" and sin! I believe, follow judge and adhere to the Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church because it teaches the FULLNESS of the TRUTH, not because a few of its members "stray and commit sin". If you are going to judge Jesus' One True Catholic Church by those few who stray and commit sin---then you had better throw out your bible--because EVERY ONE of its authors were sinners: Moses was a murderer, David was a adulterer and Paul said, "I am the worst of sinners"! This example "only goes to prove" how ignorant, confused and ridiculous, bible only Protestants are in their distorted twisted and chaotic thinking!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min Aura Mytha 88,110
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 7 min USAUSAUSA 124
News Medicare looms over Trump-Ryan alliance 11 min Taco-smacko 2
The Future of Politics in America 14 min Buck Crick 222
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min New Age Spiritual... 977,292
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min LAWEST100 184,720
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 30 min Buck Crick 551
More from around the web