Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675528 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#394800 Oct 8, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>on 8/25/82 any and every sin that I ever committed was washed away in the Blood of the Lamb, never to be remembered again.
I am not as stupid as you are.lol
So ... you can't remember if you ever smoked a joint .. or drank whickey, or wine.

Okay.

Your answer was not much different than what I really expected.

Rob
MICHAEL

Canada

#394801 Oct 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"Its beyond our capacity to know".
That takes great humility on the part of the Catholic Church to admit that truth.
Question:
Is it possible to do a confession over the phone or computer and still have it be valid? Im just wondering...
Why don't you text him you're confession, and he will text back your penance. UNBELIEVABLE!

Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#394802 Oct 8, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>clays dad was in vietnam, who didnt you ask him that question, but to answer you.
I never smoked a joint in Vietnam, drug usage was not in vogue in 1965, and only became a problem in the early 70,s I believe, much after my time.
You never smoked a joint

"in Viet Nam."

Right.

Gotcha.

Rob
MICHAEL

Canada

#394803 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it says that nothing short of absolute perfection could ever fully enter into the presence of God, and none of us has that absolute perfection.
The doctrine of Purgatory is logical conclusion that, as nothing short of perfection will be in the presence of God, something must happen to bring that about.
We don't know what that is exactly, nor how it takes place.
You say that you will enter into God's kingdom just as you are today, with nothing happening in between. No glorified body, no true recognition of times you have failed to live the love of God .. okay ...
As for me, I fully expect, due to the promise given through Jesus Christ, the Only Son of God, that I will, through God's unearned mercy and forgiveness, be forgiven for all my sins, given a glorified body, and brought into the Presence of God.
But I suspect there are sins I am guilty of, sins I didn't even recognize at the time.
I would never be so bold as to say that I have NEVER failed to recognize the Presence of the Lord, in the poor, or the imprisoned, or the willfully ignorant.
I have tried, but, given human failing, I have NOT always succeeded.
I throw myself begore God's mercy, and I have no doubt that I will be forgiven ...but ...
I do NOT believe that we will be forgiven sins without at least knowing each and every oneof them.
I daresay I know MOST of my sins, and I have asked forgiveness for all the sins I KNOW I have committed.
I have also asked forgiveness for any sin I have committed without recognizing it, and have asked God's grace in recognizing it in he future, so as to not repeat it.
But at the end of time, if am to be properly grateful to God, I will need to know ALL that I have been forgiven. Not just the sins i knew I committed, but also the ones I didn't know.
I *want* to know, so I can thank God properly for ALL the forgiveness and mercy He has shown me, and not just a part of it.
I have no doubt that I will find it very uncomfortable. will probably be quite ashamed at some of what will be revealed to me, in the Way God sees it, truly, rather than the way I have "wanted" to see it, as in a glass, darkly.
THAT is what we mean when we talk about Purgatory.
You, of course, will not need to be apprised of any such things. Be sure and explain all that to God when you get there.
Rob
Imagine if by CHANCE you were born into a loving Muslim family, instead of by CHANCE into a catholic family, more than likely you would be telling us all the goodness about Allah, and all that religions tenets, and what has to be done to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#394804 Oct 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't it make sense that Christ would require people to actually hear the Gospel first?
I hardly call that a pathetic argument MR. G...
Besides, Catholics are born again. Even if we use your criteria on this, we would still be born again.
I made my Confirmation when I was 15, i did an 'alter call' and received the Holy Spirit. I declared that Jesus Christ is my savior and I rejected Satan and all his empty promises.
After I received the Holy Spirit, I didn't grab a bible and open up a storefront Church.....None the less, I certainly felt called by God!
Careful now.

I have a storefront church. Two of 'em, as a matter of fact ...

Rob
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#394805 Oct 8, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you text him you're confession, and he will text back your penance. UNBELIEVABLE!
Oh, Clay ...
I saw your post just as I was going onto the dentist. This is easier than searching back to reply directly.
No, you can't go to confession over the phone, or by mail, or via the internet.
I suppose, if I try to wrack my brain, the only two exceptions I can come up with would be a prisoner, who was not allowed contact visits, could make his confession over a "telephone," but I would want to see him face-to-face, at the very least.
The other exception that comes to mind would be where it would be absolutely impossible for the priest to go. An isolation ward, perhaps, or the international space station.
I had some jail workers try to force me to hear a confession over a listening device. Not quite a telephone, but a handset.
They interrupted the confession I was hearing, and told me I would have to go talk to him over the listening device.
I absolved him of all sin immediately, confessed or not, provided he was truly sorry for his sins.
They could not usher me into that little glass room quickly enough.
Then, over the phone, I told him not to say anything else, as there was almost certainly someone listening, and/or recording what was being said. I explained that I had absolved him, and he had no obligation to say anything else. I told him that, as I had not had the time to assign any penance, there was NOT any, but that I advised him, for his own good, to read and pray psalm 139.
When I finished talking to him, and the opened the sally port to let me out, they locked me in for 45 minutes, in my opinion to get back at me for refusing to encourage him to confess his sins in a way that they could overhear.
Since that time, prisons and jails are more careful. There was a warden a couple years after this who recorded a confession, and the state wanted to enter it into evidence.
The state did NOT succeed, and I would not want to be that warden, nor that district attorney, not anyone who approved of that intrusion, at the very end of time.
Bad as te criminal's crime may have been, what the warden did was WORSE.
He tried to get between the relationship of every catholic who ever ended up behind bars and the Lord God, source of all mercy and forgiveness.
Phones and computers are OUT for you.
Sorry.
Rob
Fr Robert Dye

Tulsa, OK

#394806 Oct 8, 2012
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine if by CHANCE you were born into a loving Muslim family, instead of by CHANCE into a catholic family, more than likely you would be telling us all the goodness about Allah, and all that religions tenets, and what has to be done to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Well, that's not what happened, is it?

Imagine if you had enough sense to not be posting the same silliness, over and ovr again.

That's not likely to ever conform to reality either, is it now?

Rob
MICHAEL

Canada

#394807 Oct 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is what I don't understand Old G:
Evangelicals have been very successful convincing people Roman Catholicism was started by Constantine and Christianity became corrupted at that point....
Why then, does the Church have many of the same teachings before Constantine and after?
Have you ever read the writings of the men that sat across the table from the Apostles? These writings show the Eucharist (for example) predates the Roman Empires legalization of Christianity by 300 yrs!
There are caves being unearthed as we speak - showing Christian icons - that were painted hundreds of yrs before Constantine.
The Holy Mass was there hundreds of yrs before Constantine!
I understand its easier for you to ignore these truths, because you are a deacon and have a career to lose. Many evangelicals are simply to afraid to acknowledge certain facts. I also think this is why you are so vicious, you'd be committing career suicide if you embraced truth.
There are caves throughout the middle east that pre-date christianity by a thousand years, that have carvings and etches that explain much of the same core beliefs, customs and traditons that christianity preaches today.

Prophecies, ETERNAL SALVATION, demon possession, heaven/hell, sacrifice, initiation by baptism, communion with God through a holy meal, immortality, YUP! and they had them many centuries before Jesus was a twinkle in the eyes of St Paul.

Christianity is just a Franken-belief. Bits and pieces from the past, honed and edited together, and most believers haven't got a clue that most of what christianity preaches today was taught by man/gods centuries before.

Growing up in the catholic church as a young boy, I believed everything about Christianity was UNIQUE? We are wrong CLAY.

Stories from the distant past, made new again.

Just like the Jews. They were waiting for a messiah. During the era before Jesus were many claiming to be the Messiah. Interesting, just shortly after that time, christianity comes along with!.....wait for it!.........another messiah. What are the odds?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#394808 Oct 8, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>MMMMMMMM You are making me hungry. I make a mean pot of Chcken and Dumplings. Use only eggs and flour, salt and pepper to make the dough then debone the chicken add a half can of pet milk and half a stick of butter. Yellow food coloring is optional.
Yellow food coloring?

Get yourself a real fat hen.
It will end up yellow naturally.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#394809 Oct 8, 2012
Pope Innocent III (circa 1160 - 1216 CE) is considered "one of the greatest popes of the Middle Ages..." 1 At the Fourth Lateran Council (a.k.a. the General Council of Lateran, and the Great Council) he wrote:
""""" ""There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside of which no one at all can be saved."""" """""
Pope Boniface VIII (1235-1303 CE) promulgated a Papal Bull in 1302 CE titled Unam Sanctam (One Holy). He wrote, in part:
"Urged by faith, we are obliged to believe and to maintain that the Church is one, holy, catholic, and also apostolic. We believe in her firmly and we confess with simplicity that outside of her there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins...In her then is one Lord, one faith, one baptism. There had been at the time of the deluge only one ark of Noah, prefiguring the one Church, which ark, having been finished to a single cubit, had only one pilot and guide, i.e., Noah, and we read that, outside of this ark, all that subsisted on the earth was destroyed....Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."
Pope Eugene IV,(1388-1447 CE) wrote a Papal bull in 1441 CE titled Cantate Domino. One paragraph reads:
"It [the Church] firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that those not living within the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics cannot become participants in eternal life, but will depart 'into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels', unless before the end of life the same have been added to the flock; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those remaining in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practiced, even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church."
<quoted text>
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't, and no pope ever said that, either.
Read it again, as you are the one who posted it.
It does not say what you say it says.
Rob
You just cannot quit lieing can you?

Was Pope Innocent III a pope?

Pope Innocent III (circa 1160 - 1216 CE) is considered "one of the greatest popes of the Middle Ages..." 1 At the Fourth Lateran Council (a.k.a. the General Council of Lateran, and the Great Council) he wrote: There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside of which NO ONE at all can be saved."

Was Pope Boniface VIII a pope?

"Urged by faith, we are obliged to believe and to maintain that the Church is one, holy, catholic, and also apostolic. We believe in her firmly and we confess with simplicity that OUTSIDE OF HER THERE IS NEITHER SALVATION NOR THE REMISSION OF SINS..."

Was Pope Eugune IV a pope?

"It [the Church] firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that those not living within the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics CANNOT BECOME PARTICIPANTS IN ETERNAL LIFE, BUT WILL DEPART 'INTO EVERLASTING FIRE WHICH WAS PREPARED FOR THE DEVIL AND HIS ANGELS', UNLESS BEFORE THE END OF LIFE THE SAME HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE FLOCK;"
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#394810 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Clay ...
I saw your post just as I was going onto the dentist. This is easier than searching back to reply directly.
I suppose, if I try to wrack my brain, the only two exceptions I can come up with would be a prisoner, who was not allowed contact visits, could make his confession over a "telephone," but I would want to see him face-to-face, at the very least.
The other exception that comes to mind would be where it would be absolutely impossible for the priest to go. An isolation ward, perhaps, or the international space station.
I had some jail workers try to force me to hear a confession over a listening device. Not quite a telephone, but a handset.
They interrupted the confession I was hearing, and told me I would have to go talk to him over the listening device.
I absolved him of all sin immediately, confessed or not, provided he was truly sorry for his sins.
Then, over the phone, I told him not to say anything else, as there was almost certainly someone listening, and/or recording what was being said. I explained that I had absolved him, and he had no obligation to say anything else. I told him that, as I had not had the time to assign any penance, there was NOT any, but that I advised him, for his own good, to read and pray psalm 139.
When I finished talking to him, and the opened the sally port to let me out, they locked me in for 45 minutes, in my opinion to get back at me for refusing to encourage him to confess his sins in a way that they could overhear.
Since that time, prisons and jails are more careful. There was a warden a couple years after this who recorded a confession, and the state wanted to enter it into evidence.
The state did NOT succeed, and I would not want to be that warden, nor that district attorney, not anyone who approved of that intrusion, at the very end of time.
He tried to get between the relationship of every catholic who ever ended up behind bars and the Lord God, source of all mercy and forgiveness.
Sorry.
Rob
Find a TRUE CHRISTIAN....not a Roman Catholic and it works like this.

James 5:16, "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."

Comprende'? You don't need a white collared pervert to confess your sins.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#394811 Oct 8, 2012
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, certain men chose to not have it included, in which luckily, it was discovered 1500 years after someone buried this book and others - so the good news could be heard from Jesus, instead of men.
Why do you follow men?
huh? are you trying to tell me that your god's plans have been thwarted and it meant for you to have something that wasn't available until fairly recent years??? do you hafta be 'special' & wear special glasses to be able to read it?

my God is much bigger than yours and NOTHING can hinder Him & His Word!

come on over, it's real good on this side!:)
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#394812 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Clay ...
Sorry.
Rob
YOUR QUOTE, "I absolved him of all sin immediately, confessed or not, provided he was truly sorry for his sins." END QUOTE.

You are a powerless pervert unable to absolve anyone of anything.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#394813 Oct 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because Christ paid for our sins does not mean we are clean enough ourselves to stand in the presence of God.
This is all Purgatory suggests.
I heard it said that, in a sense, we are in the purge process as we speak. Our hearts are preparing to meet God in Heaven..I wouldn't look at Purgatory as a place but rather a process. After we die, if we still are unclean, we can not go straight to Heaven. There is no sin in Heaven, right?
you're going to have to speak for yourself on this one, bub. as for me, i have been made the the righteosness of God through Christ and i already have eternal life presently.

get out of that unbelieving cult and take what's been afforded you through Christ!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#394814 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it says that nothing short of absolute perfection could ever fully enter into the presence of God, and none of us has that absolute perfection.
The doctrine of Purgatory is logical conclusion that, as nothing short of perfection will be in the presence of God, something must happen to bring that about.
We don't know what that is exactly, nor how it takes place.
You say that you will enter into God's kingdom just as you are today, with nothing happening in between. No glorified body, no true recognition of times you have failed to live the love of God .. okay ...
As for me, I fully expect, due to the promise given through Jesus Christ, the Only Son of God, that I will, through God's unearned mercy and forgiveness, be forgiven for all my sins, given a glorified body, and brought into the Presence of God.
But I suspect there are sins I am guilty of, sins I didn't even recognize at the time.
I would never be so bold as to say that I have NEVER failed to recognize the Presence of the Lord, in the poor, or the imprisoned, or the willfully ignorant.
I have tried, but, given human failing, I have NOT always succeeded.
I throw myself begore God's mercy, and I have no doubt that I will be forgiven ...but ...
I do NOT believe that we will be forgiven sins without at least knowing each and every oneof them.
I daresay I know MOST of my sins, and I have asked forgiveness for all the sins I KNOW I have committed.
I have also asked forgiveness for any sin I have committed without recognizing it, and have asked God's grace in recognizing it in he future, so as to not repeat it.
But at the end of time, if am to be properly grateful to God, I will need to know ALL that I have been forgiven. Not just the sins i knew I committed, but also the ones I didn't know.
I *want* to know, so I can thank God properly for ALL the forgiveness and mercy He has shown me, and not just a part of it.
I have no doubt that I will find it very uncomfortable. will probably be quite ashamed at some of what will be revealed to me, in the Way God sees it, truly, rather than the way I have "wanted" to see it, as in a glass, darkly.
THAT is what we mean when we talk about Purgatory.
You, of course, will not need to be apprised of any such things. Be sure and explain all that to God when you get there.
Rob
get thee behind me, satan!

"IT IS FINISHED!!!" Jesus the Christ

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#394815 Oct 8, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>UH OH KAREN !!!!
rotflol
Yes,I tried to make things right with him.

I don't want anyone to have an ought against me.

I felt that I needed to make things right.

Isn't that what we should do?

Please don't bring me into your fusses.
preston

Athens, OH

#394816 Oct 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You were in 'Nam the same year as my dad. He served in Tanyen and swan lock.(i just asked him and I know Im not spelling the cities right) he served with the 101st too - wherever they were stationed.
they went over in the summer or the fall of 65, I was there and back due to my injuries.I got sent over early in 65.

what in the world possessed him to jump out of perfectly good airplanes? he will have heard of that joke before.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#394817 Oct 8, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because Christ paid for our sins does not mean we are clean enough ourselves to stand in the presence of God.
This is all Purgatory suggests.
I heard it said that, in a sense, we are in the purge process as we speak. Our hearts are preparing to meet God in Heaven..I wouldn't look at Purgatory as a place but rather a process. After we die, if we still are unclean, we can not go straight to Heaven. There is no sin in Heaven, right?
YOUR QUOTE, "After we die, if we still are unclean, we can not go straight to Heaven. There is no sin in Heaven, right?" END QUOTE.

How dumb are you anyway? Unclean describes an unsaved person. An unsaved person would still have sin and therefore could not enter heaven. The blood of Jesus cleanses born again believers from ALL sin. No need for a make-believe place called purgatory. We are CLEAN!!! We go directly to heaven. Absent from the body and present with the Lord.

II Corinthians 5:6-8, 6 "So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord."

Philippians l:23 "For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better."
preston

Athens, OH

#394818 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you can't remember if you ever smoked a joint .. or drank whickey, or wine.
Okay.
Your answer was not much different than what I really expected.
Rob
just continue reading, I answered every question,

so here it is again. no moonshine, only saw it once in my life,

never smoked pot in Vietnam, drank two drinks in 1962 and got sick as a dog. no person should ever drink that stuff, no wonder they call it rotgut.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#394819 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful now.
I have a storefront church. Two of 'em, as a matter of fact ...
Rob
Yeah and I'm Pope OldJG I. LOL LOL LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Clearwater 110,169
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 50 min gabhomo 982,210
exhibitionism (Jul '13) 55 min exhib 8
----*PUBLIC REBUKE to: --TV Preachers, POPE---- 1 hr stirringYTube 1
Call for Gov Asa Hutchinson To Resign 1 hr Hiddn Numbrz 1
My NEW SPECULATION about the mystery vehicle an... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 14
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,738
More from around the web