Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 653570 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

marge

Leesburg, GA

#394754 Oct 8, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings marge good friend
Precisely correct....But we are here to express ourselves and our beliefs and since I used two scriptures to back up the Immaculate Conception, then I am going by what has been written....
Well Robert no you changed Scripture again, Jesus has always been the tree door vine etc. OJG showed you.
OldJG

Lake Zurich, IL

#394755 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Unrepentant liars, yes.
This is why the commandment was given "You shall not take the Name of the Lord in vain."
This is a condemnation of perjury, with God being called as witness to a lie.
(Yes, yes, lest anyone feel the need to trot out, "Do not swear by heaven etc. Jesus was not big on the idea of calling upon anything related to God as a proof of honesty. Yes, I know. I also know that many Holy men in women -IN SCRIPTURE- called upon God as witness to their words. Current American law actually asks us to call upon God as our witness. As long as we are being truthful, I really cannot see God having a problem with that. The people who take the oath -and then lie-.... they are most definitely in for a problem.
If you are asking if you will be condemned for every law you ever told, then ...no.
If your wife ever asked you, "Honey, does this dress make me look fat?" ... well, I'm not a married man, but even *I* know there is only one correct answer to THAT one, even if she looks like a sack of watermelons and potatoes, all trying to break free.
When a child wants to know, as he is getting ready to go to the doctor, "Will I have to get a shot?" and you already KNOW the answer is yes, but you also KNOW that you will not be able to pry that particular child out from under the bed with a crowbar and two professional wrestlers, you DON'T say "yes."
You say, "Maybe," or you say, "I don't know."
What is important in those cases is that you do not intend to deceive.
We calls these second kinds of lies "white lies." Our intent is not to deceive. In many cases, our intent is to grant someone peace for a time, or move toward something the other person needs, but does not truly understand.
Several years ago, my mom called me, at wits end. Grandma was living with my folks, but really needed 24 hour nursing care that mom and dad could not provide. So they found an assisted living/nursing environment, a kind of small apartment situation.
The problem? Grandma wanted to take her furniture. She had a table that had been her grandmother's, and a rocking chair that had been her father's favorite chair, in which he had rocker her to sleep, eighty years before, etc.
There was NO way ALL of this furniture would fit, and grandma was fighting mom tooth and nail about it, because mom told her she couldn't take it all.
There was a three month waiting period, and the house was deteriorating into a war zone.
I told mom to say she could take all the furniture. Anything she wanted.
My mom was shocked. That would be a LIE! How could I counsel her to do that?!?!!?
I replied that it was either that, or three months of continual fighting. "You already told her it wouldn't fit, and she either does not believe you, does not understand, or just does not want to hear it. Tell her OK."
"On moving day, you go over there, and point out that she is NOT allowed to remove the furnishings already there. propose moving the dining table already there against the wall, and her table in the middle of the room. Point out that the chairs that go with it won't fit, but you can put in two of them, and that she can still squeeze by, IF she is careful to turn sideways."
"You would let her take the furniture if it were practical, but you know it won't be. Just belay it, until the day she knows it, too."
"Enjoy peace for three months."
It worked out OK. Grandma was happy when mom "relented," and on moving day, decided that the only thing that would really fit was the rocking chair.
Once a month, mom organized a big dinner with grandma and her friends out at the house, and grandma could tell the story of her grandmother's table, and how it had come out of a chicken coop! Everyone was happy.
But that "lie" was a part of getting everyone to that happy point.
We have an obligation to be truthful, but we have an obligation to be kind as well.
Little white lies are OK? Really? John 8:44 "for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#394756 Oct 8, 2012
And then they'll canonize him.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394757 Oct 8, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>nah, I dislike you and the drunk the most.
marge I feel sorry for, LTM is in need of a doctor, karen has tried to make ovetures to me privately.
and so it is not my mind that conjers up your wife falling down and needing to be covered up, that is the way it is done in your kind of churches.
My wife thinks it is disgraceful behavior on the part of women that do that.and my ex friends sisters thought the same thing. they were beating us out of teh church when tha was going on.lol
as for benny hinn, he is about as close to God as you are which means that you two are in the back pew setting outside of heaven, looking up.
at least until you receive the same reward as Ananias
UH OH KAREN !!!!

rotflol
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#394758 Oct 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey moron, I did not deny Jesus was God. Are you going to tell us that Jesus has always been the Son of God? Mary gave birth to the flesh, the body, the man Jesus not God.
Mary mother of God. This is quite a claim. Nowhere in the Bible is Mary said to be the mother of God.
QUESTION: If Mary is the Mother of God who is the Father of God? Does God have a father, and if He does, who is His mother?
The phrase "Mother of God" originated in the Council of Ephesus, in the year 431 AD. It occurs in the Creed of Chalcedon, which was adopted by the council in 451 AD. This was the declaration given at that time: "Born of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God according to the Manhood." The purpose of this statement originally was meant to emphasize the deity of Christ over against the teaching of the Nestorians whose teaching involved a dual-natured Jesus. Their teaching was that the person born of Mary was only a man who was then indwelt by God. The title "Mother of God" was used originally to counter this false doctrine. The doctrine now emphasizes the person of Mary rather than the deity of Jesus as God incarnate. Mary certainly did not give birth to God. In fact, Mary did not give birth to the divinity of Christ. Mary only gave birth to the humanity of Jesus. The only thing Jesus got from Mary was a body.
Is Mary not the Mother of Jesus (God) or not???

My goodness Old G,'Mother of God' is a very accurate title. Leave it alone. You don't need to dissect and change every little thing. Catholics understand it correctly. God is infinite and no one gave birth to Him. HOWEVER, when he became manifested as one of us He needed a woman to accomplish this feat. A mother.
Why do you have a problem with it?
Fr Robert Dye

United States

#394759 Oct 8, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>BUT if that which was conceived used any egg from Mary, then he was not fully God, whyis that so difficult for you catholics to understand.
so let me give you a lesson in equine terminology.
take an egg from a jinny and introduce sperm from a horse,
the colt will not be fully donkey nor fully horse.
see how easy that was.lol.
Gpd has to be all God and His glory will He not share with anyone and that included one that he chose to bring the Messiah into this world,
now bring one of your smart alec remarks since that seems to be your trademark.
Well, in the case you describe, you now have Jesus as "fully God."

Okay.

But do you not still see a problem?

He is not fully human, is He?

What was the point of the Incarnation, if Jesus just had to be God. He was already the Christ, and thus ALREADY fully God, so why be "born" as a human?(Really, under what you describe, he was not really "born," was He. True, He would have passed through Mary's birth canal, but that is not ALL there is to being "born" human, is it?

If all of Christ's humanity was manufactured, as it were, in heaven, how is He regarded as "Son of Man?"

Catholic Teaching (yes, yes, I know, you reject it) is that Jesus is Truly God and Truly Man. Not some "half-God/half-man hybrid.

As God, He has the power to save us. As man, He is able to be our One True High Priest, offering sacrifice for our sins, and yet the sacrifice He offers is the Most True and Supreme Sacrifice, His Own Sacred Life.

As for HOW this was done ...? We don't claim to know. This is what the Catholic Church means when it proclaims something to be "mystery."

It does not just mean "we don't know," but that it is BEYOND OUR CAPACITY TO KNOW. God know, but that is because He is God.

Being able to accept this requires humility ... that there are some things which are simply beyond us, but affirms that there is nothing which is beyond the Power and Wisdom of God.

Rob
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#394760 Oct 8, 2012
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>UH OH KAREN !!!!
rotflol
This nut will say anything or attention.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#394761 Oct 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey moron, I did not deny Jesus was God. Are you going to tell us that Jesus has always been the Son of God? Mary gave birth to the flesh, the body, the man Jesus not God.
Mary mother of God. This is quite a claim. Nowhere in the Bible is Mary said to be the mother of God.
QUESTION: If Mary is the Mother of God who is the Father of God? Does God have a father, and if He does, who is His mother?
The phrase "Mother of God" originated in the Council of Ephesus, in the year 431 AD. It occurs in the Creed of Chalcedon, which was adopted by the council in 451 AD. This was the declaration given at that time: "Born of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God according to the Manhood." The purpose of this statement originally was meant to emphasize the deity of Christ over against the teaching of the Nestorians whose teaching involved a dual-natured Jesus. Their teaching was that the person born of Mary was only a man who was then indwelt by God. The title "Mother of God" was used originally to counter this false doctrine. The doctrine now emphasizes the person of Mary rather than the deity of Jesus as God incarnate. Mary certainly did not give birth to God. In fact, Mary did not give birth to the divinity of Christ. Mary only gave birth to the humanity of Jesus. The only thing Jesus got from Mary was a body.
A man of God; follower of Christ, starts out a reply to another person: "Hey Moron".
Wow! Could you tell us how to be Christians? lol

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#394762 Oct 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow you have determined Mary is the tree in verse 33 and Jesus is the fruit. Amazing! You have a vivid imagination. Did you read any of the verses before or after verse 33? After reading these verses you still came up with your conclusion.
Matthew 12:31-34, 31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. 33 "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34 "Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."
Luke 1:42, "Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb."
Luke 1:47-48, 47 "And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. 48 for He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; for behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed."
Interesting. Mary exclaims she needs a Savior. She does not say she "IS" the Savior. She also admits to being nothing more than a female slave. Then she declares all generations will call her blessed. Not blessed because of who she was but what she will do for God. Where can we find in Scripture, the Bible, Mary declaring she gave birth to God?
Greetings OldJG good friend

I certainly have read the scriptures before and after the ones I used....

Trying to make a sermon out of the whole thing is beyond what I can do at this time for lack of time and space....concerning Matt 12:31-34, but notice the link of the Holy Spirit, and blasphemy, evil vipers, heart, trees and fruit....In short do these in part, not evoke memories of the Garden of Eden and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, Adam and Eve?

You are right Mary does not say that she is the Saviour...Nor do Catholics believe she is either....

I find no direct scripture in which "I, Mary, gave birth to Jesus."
We can infer from Luke 1:30-35, esp. verse 35

"Douay-Rheims Bible
And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."
preston

Athens, OH

#394763 Oct 8, 2012
<quoted text>When are you going to leave that poor woman alone. I think everyone on here is about sick of your attack and instigating trouble. Lord knows I am. Come after me if need be and leave her alone.
excuse me, but she said that I didnt know anything about it if that was so, I wouldnt have told her to "chill out".

I aint gonna allow any person on here to lie about me without me straighting out these lies.

so I dont care what youthink, you belong to the devil and even the catholic know and undestand that.
Fr Robert Dye

United States

#394764 Oct 8, 2012
preston wrote:
<quoted text>nah, I dislike you and the drunk the most.
marge I feel sorry for, LTM is in need of a doctor, karen has tried to make ovetures to me privately.
and so it is not my mind that conjers up your wife falling down and needing to be covered up, that is the way it is done in your kind of churches.
My wife thinks it is disgraceful behavior on the part of women that do that.and my ex friends sisters thought the same thing. they were beating us out of teh church when tha was going on.lol
as for benny hinn, he is about as close to God as you are which means that you two are in the back pew setting outside of heaven, looking up.
at least until you receive the same reward as Ananias
I was going to say, "I have to ask," but that would be a lie.
i don't have to ask.
I'm just curious.
Preston, you said you have never tasted beer.
I believe you.
I also think that was kind of a strange way to put it.
Have you ever tasted whiskey?
How about wine?
What about moonshine? White lightning?
You were in Viet Nam. Did you ever smoke a joint, or try any other kind of non-prescribed drugs?
Just curious.
I don't know that I can really expect you to answer.
Now, in all fairness, if you say that you ever used pot, you should probably identify yourself as a "pothead" from here on out. Maybe even a "filthy pothead."
But that would of course be up to you, and your own level of integrity.
Rob

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#394765 Oct 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU WROTE...

--->The only thing Jesus got from Mary was a body... and I agree.

The Bible says...

Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but --->a body hast thou prepared me:
preston

Athens, OH

#394766 Oct 8, 2012
<quoted text>UH OH KAREN !!!!
rotflol
ask her, Ikeept this email for proof. it was back in june.also she sent me a request on facebook, which I turned down of course. I am not going to be friends with any person on here, but since then she and I have had no words aainst the other, and I prefer it tha was.
OldJG

Lake Zurich, IL

#394767 Oct 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text> You are a very articulate liar. You can take Vatican II and stick it in your ear. We real Christians, "Protestants" are not subject to Vatican I, II and or III VI or V whenever Rome sees fit to change its ignorant position.
Pope Innocent III (circa 1160 - 1216 CE) is considered "one of the greatest popes of the Middle Ages..." 1 At the Fourth Lateran Council (a.k.a. the General Council of Lateran, and the Great Council) he wrote:
""""" ""There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside of which no one at all can be saved."""" """""
Pope Boniface VIII (1235-1303 CE) promulgated a Papal Bull in 1302 CE titled Unam Sanctam (One Holy). He wrote, in part:
"Urged by faith, we are obliged to believe and to maintain that the Church is one, holy, catholic, and also apostolic. We believe in her firmly and we confess with simplicity that outside of her there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins...In her then is one Lord, one faith, one baptism. There had been at the time of the deluge only one ark of Noah, prefiguring the one Church, which ark, having been finished to a single cubit, had only one pilot and guide, i.e., Noah, and we read that, outside of this ark, all that subsisted on the earth was destroyed....Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."
Pope Eugene IV,(1388-1447 CE) wrote a Papal bull in 1441 CE titled Cantate Domino. One paragraph reads:
"It [the Church] firmly believes, professes, and proclaims that those not living within the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics cannot become participants in eternal life, but will depart 'into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels', unless before the end of life the same have been added to the flock; and that the unity of the ecclesiastical body is so strong that only to those remaining in it are the sacraments of the Church of benefit for salvation, and do fastings, almsgiving, and other functions of piety and exercises of Christian service produce eternal reward, and that no one, whatever almsgiving he has practiced, even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church."
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what you believe? Everyone outside of your born again cult is doomed to hell?
Ah the irony...
Where did Jesus express salvation was only available to Roman Catholics? Clay, your argument is pathetic at best. I believe what Jesus says. 100%. Denying the truth Jesus reveals in these verses does have eternal consequences. Not my opinion but reality.

John 3:3 "Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

John 3:7 "Do not marvel that I said to you,'You must be born again."
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#394768 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.
What was the point of the Incarnation, if Jesus just had to be God. He was already the Christ, and thus ALREADY fully God, so why be "born" as a human?(Really, under what you describe, he was not really "born," was He. True, He would have passed through Mary's birth canal, but that is not ALL there is to being "born" human, is it?
If all of Christ's humanity was manufactured, as it were, in heaven, how is He regarded as "Son of Man?"
Catholic Teaching (yes, yes, I know, you reject it) is that Jesus is Truly God and Truly Man. Not some "half-God/half-man hybrid.
As God, He has the power to save us. As man, He is able to be our One True High Priest, offering sacrifice for our sins, and yet the sacrifice He offers is the Most True and Supreme Sacrifice, His Own Sacred Life.
As for HOW this was done ...? We don't claim to know. This is what the Catholic Church means when it proclaims something to be "mystery."
It does not just mean "we don't know," but that it is BEYOND OUR CAPACITY TO KNOW. God know, but that is because He is God.
Being able to accept this requires humility ... that there are some things which are simply beyond us, but affirms that there is nothing which is beyond the Power and Wisdom of God.
Rob
"Its beyond our capacity to know".

That takes great humility on the part of the Catholic Church to admit that truth.

Question:
Is it possible to do a confession over the phone or computer and still have it be valid? Im just wondering...
preston

Athens, OH

#394769 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't have to ask.
I'm just curious.
I believe you.
How about wine?
You were in Viet Nam. Did you ever smoke a joint, or try any other kind of non-prescribed drugs?
Just curious.
Now, in all fairness, if you say that you ever used pot, you should probably identify yourself as a "pothead" from here on out. Maybe even a "filthy pothead."
Rob
on 8/25/82 any and every sin that I ever committed was washed away in the Blood of the Lamb, never to be remembered again.

I am not as stupid as you are.lol
preston

Athens, OH

#394770 Oct 8, 2012
how about it clay, even your catholic clergy agreed with my understanding and {intrepretation{ of the Bible.lol

wanna apologize now?

are you man enough to admit that I never sent her to hell over her lies that she has told.
preston

Athens, OH

#394771 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't have to ask.
I'm just curious.
I believe you.
How about wine?
Just curious.
Rob
clays dad was in vietnam, who didnt you ask him that question, but to answer you.

I never smoked a joint in Vietnam, drug usage was not in vogue in 1965, and only became a problem in the early 70,s I believe, much after my time.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#394772 Oct 8, 2012
Fr Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.
Rob
Greetings Father

Peace

Here is the situation as I see it....

My response is that this is vain human intelligence and understanding, that God created a human embryo....

The reality is that:

John 1:1 and the Word became flesh....

One person, Jesus Christ is of two natures, God and man....Hypostatic union....

The human embryo theory is that of beliefs of the heresy common to that of a monophysite with God being of one nature as Jesus Christ....

Also the problem with this view is that it eliminates the human nature of Jesus, which is a form of Apollonarianism, and promotes the seperateness of God and God's Creation(the good/evil of Manichaenism(another heresy)....

Those promoting this theory are walking down a path here of disagreement with standard Christianity, while thinking they have some new insight, while it is clearly an ancient one and is not stantard Christianity....

(It probably arises now that the Protestant roots have been dying away from its Catholic roots, and now the ancient heresies are popping up again....)

The traditional view in Christianity is that of the Hypostatic Union....
Fr Robert Dye

United States

#394773 Oct 8, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I going to say that "Jesus" has always been te Son of God?

I cannot decide if you are trying to lay a trap or not.

The Son of God has ALWAYS been the Son of God.

ALWAYS.

God is Eternally Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Was Jesus always the Son ..?

Yesssss ..... but not always "Jesus."

This name did not come until the angel gave it.(Like 1, Matthew 1).

But this is a new Name being given, and NOT a new Person being created.

There is only ONE person in Jesus. Two natures, one human, and one divine, but only ONE person, and this is the same Person Who was, in the beginning.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

"And the Word became flesh*
and made his dwelling among us,
and we saw his glory,
the glory as of the Father’s only Son,
full of grace and truth."

If you want to insist on Who Jesus' "father" is in that way, then I would have to answer "the Holy Spirit," since Mary "conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit."

The baby born from Mary's womb is True God and True Man. He was and is that, from the very moment He was conceived.

If you want to say otherwise, well, up to you.

But *I* will not say otherwise, nor believe otherwise. Not for anything.

signed,

Moron.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Catcher1 63,253
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min crucifiedguy 281,808
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 31 min andet1987 2,563
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Steve III 618,740
Just chatt 1 hr Alone 2
Katie mitchell 1 hr Cuziknow 1
girls, when is the first time u saw a penis (Feb '14) 2 hr 13yokinkygirl 12
first gay experience? (Sep '14) 4 hr Eduardo 42
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 973,529
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr DebraE 106,460