Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 673356 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

OldJG

Rockford, IL

#353468 May 3, 2012
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I make you ill. I am a liar from hell.This does not work on me. My Orthodoxy teached me self discipline.ts part of being Boen Again, losing the Old man. Becoming a New Man in Chrfist.
You might want to start by telling the truth instead of making up your truth to fit your theology.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#353469 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are telling us the apostles are the only people to receive the Holy Spirit because they were students at His feet. My opinion is they were spiritually sleeping most of the time just like Gethsemane. On another occasion they were discussing who was the greatest. Yeah, they sure listened to everything Jesus said. If you believe that I have some ocean front property in Phoenix to sell you.
John 14:26, ""But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."
You believe this verse only applies to the apostles?
Where did you get that I said the apostles were the only ones to receive the Holy Spirit? Who said that? What are you reading?

You also missed my other point. Jesus taught the Apostles. They did not understand much of what He taught. The Holy Spirit clarified what He taught.

The Holy Spirit does not give instantaneous spiritual knowledge. f this were so. Jesus would not have had to teach the Apostles. He could have just waited for the Holy Spirit.

You do not seem to follow any points I am making.ou are making up stuff that I supposedly said then attacking me. If this is the case, you do not need me. Just make up things I said and then attack it.

Location hidden

#353470 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to start by telling the truth instead of making up your truth to fit your theology.
This is a nonpost. You already called me a lisr. It did not work the first time. Bless you.You are troubled about something. I dont understand.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#353471 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>Thats funny because much of what I post is my own thoughts. That would be apparent to anyone who is an original thinker. I question my priest about everything. If anything I go too far with my original thinking.
It is the Born Agains that claim only they know what the Bible says. I never claimed this.
Your thoughts are from an original thinker? No one is history has ever had your thoughts? REally? You are not only full of yourself.

You are a robot and do what you are told to do and think what you are told to think. If you were not a robot they would throw you out.
ReginaM

Florham Park, NJ

#353472 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>This is the same question noone ever answers.
And no one ever will. I've only been here a little over two years, so I'm a relative newcomer. The other Catholics have been asking that same question for years now, and no one has answered it yet. Of course, we already know the answer, but I understand your frustration. And I agree that it's dishonest.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#353473 May 3, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, You're changing gears now that you've been taught the correct meaning of Tradition. No, small 't' traditions won't save us, but Tradition can lead us to salvation as it's the word of God and the teachings of Christ, our savior.
I hope you believe your post. We then will wind up where you belong.

Location hidden

#353474 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
All of the LIES in the world you have fabricated on this forum will not help you!!!!
By the way.....there is no capital T in tradition. Tradition is tradition.
JG, The capital T is a way to distinguish the Tradition ( Deposit of faith) from traditions, such as eating grape leaves.This is the whole point.

Location hidden

#353475 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Three times a liar.This is just a general insult. t means nothing and does not carry weight.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#353476 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does your faith make you so hateful and mean?If indeed you are BORN AGAIN in Christ,then why do you spit out such venom in the name of Christ??

Location hidden

#353477 May 3, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
And no one ever will. I've only been here a little over two years, so I'm a relative newcomer. The other Catholics have been asking that same question for years now, and no one has answered it yet. Of course, we already know the answer, but I understand your frustration. And I agree that it's dishonest.
Hello regina, How are things with you this fine evening?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#353478 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>Where did you get that I said the apostles were the only ones to receive the Holy Spirit? Who said that? What are you reading?
You also missed my other point. Jesus taught the Apostles. They did not understand much of what He taught. The Holy Spirit clarified what He taught.
The Holy Spirit does not give instantaneous spiritual knowledge. f this were so. Jesus would not have had to teach the Apostles. He could have just waited for the Holy Spirit.
You do not seem to follow any points I am making.ou are making up stuff that I supposedly said then attacking me. If this is the case, you do not need me. Just make up things I said and then attack it.
Provide Scripture which states the Holy Spirit does not give instantaneous spirit knowledge. Seems to me at Pentecost they spoke in other tongues.

Acts 2:4, "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

Did they go to school to learn the new language or did the Holy Spirit immediately give it to them?

Location hidden

#353479 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>Three times a liar.This is just a general insult. t means nothing and does not carry weight.
reminds me of that Lionel Richie song...Your once, twice, three times a liar....but I..I...I love you...lol
ReginaM

Florham Park, NJ

#353480 May 3, 2012
JIL wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only speak for my self. My brothers and sisters in the Lord have their own walk with God. The Spirit of God is never confused we get confused all the time we're human. I never said I believe in OSAS. But I do believe in the Bible and what it says, some teach OSAS some don't . I believe I am saved can I lose my salvation no. If I could walk away from God, it means I was never saved in the first place. When God gives a gift He doesn't take it back. Salvation is a gift from God. Can God lose who He holds in His hands no.
Jill, I respect that what you believe is what you believe. I don't agree with it, but I respect that it's what you hold dear. However, it doesn't answer my question. This is where the frustration comes in. I realize that we'll never get a straight answer, so I'll drop it for tonight as it's getting late. Give your mom my best.

Location hidden

#353481 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Your thoughts are from an original thinker? No one is history has ever had your thoughts? REally? You are not only full of yourself.
You are a robot and do what you are told to do and think what you are told to think. If you were not a robot they would throw you out.
Thats funny. I didnt so noone in history ever had my thoughts. You are arguing with yourself. I said original thinker.
Not too many Orthodox has read Sartre, Decartes, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates,Kant, Schopoenhoer,or have studies Catholicism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.When you are different from most, that is called original. Also you do not know the Orthodox Church. I speak my mind.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#353482 May 3, 2012
<quoted text>JG, The capital T is a way to distinguish the Tradition ( Deposit of faith) from traditions, such as eating grape leaves.This is the whole point.
So what tradition was Jesus talking about? I am sure it must be the small "t" otherwise Jesus would reveal you as a liar as well. So, was Jesus talking about a small t or large T? LOL

Colossians 2:8, "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ."

Location hidden

#353483 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you believe your post. We then will wind up where you belong.
oh oh...you just sin..lol

Location hidden

#353484 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide Scripture which states the Holy Spirit does not give instantaneous spirit knowledge. Seems to me at Pentecost they spoke in other tongues.
Acts 2:4, "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
Did they go to school to learn the new language or did the Holy Spirit immediately give it to them?
So to you speaking in tongues gives instantaneous knowledge of the Christian faith.One has nothing to do with the other.

Location hidden

#353485 May 3, 2012
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
not true....oh how little do you know...but the insults and really funny....keep them coming lol
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#353486 May 3, 2012
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Why does your faith make you so hateful and mean?If indeed you are BORN AGAIN in Christ,then why do you spit out such venom in the name of Christ??
Venom? The Christians on this forum are sick and tired of the theological fiction perpetrated on mankind by the catholic and orthodox church. We can only stand just so much crapola. Put your shovel away and spread your crapola elsewhere.
JIL

Hamilton, Canada

#353487 May 3, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
1 Peter 3:21 Whereunto baptism being of the like form, now saveth you also
Where did you get that verse I have tried several bibles and that is not what 1 Peter 3:21 says.

1 Peter 3:21
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
21 Whereunto baptism being of the like form, now saveth you also: not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the examination of a good conscience towards God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
King James Version (KJV)
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Amplified Bible (AMP)
21And baptism, which is a figure [of their deliverance], does now also save you [from inward questionings and fears], not by the removing of outward body filth [bathing], but by [providing you with] the answer of a good and clear conscience (inward cleanness and peace) before God [because you are demonstrating what you believe to be yours] through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Rest not then till thou art cleansed by the Spirit of Christ and the blood of Christ. His resurrection from the dead is that whereby we are assured of purifying and peace.
Noah's salvation in the ark upon the water prefigured the salvation of all good Christians in the church by baptism; that temporal salvation by the ark was a type, the antitype whereunto is the eternal salvation of believers by baptism, to prevent mistakes about which the apostle,

I. Declares what he means by saving baptism; not the outward ceremony of washing with water, which, in itself, does no more than put away the filth of the flesh, but it is that baptism wherein there is a faithful answer or restipulation of a resolved good conscience, engaging to believe in, and be entirely devoted to, God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, renouncing at the same time the flesh, the world, and the devil. The baptismal covenant, made and kept, will certainly save us. Washing is the visible sign; this is the thing signified.

II. The apostle shows that the efficacy of baptism to salvation depends not upon the work done, but upon the resurrection of Christ, which supposes his death, and is the foundation of our faith and hope, to which we are rendered conformable by dying to sin, and rising again to holiness and newness of life. Learn, 1. The sacrament of baptism, rightly received, is a means and a pledge of salvation. Baptism now saveth us. God is pleased to convey his blessings to us in and by his ordinances, Acts 2:38,22:16. 2. The external participation of baptism will save no man without an answerable good conscience and conversation. There must be the answer of a good conscience towards God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min RiversideRedneck 104,793
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 55 min Sky Writer 31 184,625
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Jedimaster of All 981,348
crooks frauds predators 2 hr Jedimaster of All 2
Ted Bundy's Daughter (Jul '14) 2 hr Jedimaster of All 9
is god black or white? and why? (Oct '08) 2 hr Jedimaster of All 453
CNN: Bill Cosby past away today after long batt... (Dec '08) 2 hr Jedimaster of All 86
More from around the web