Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 568,894
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
4gvn

Wentzville, MO

#223634 Oct 7, 2010
boooots wrote:
<quoted text> I had to go back and find my post in order to remember what it was that I had disagreed with - the problem with some many posts, and many long ones is trying to trace one particular train of thought. You state that trying to defend homosexuality by using scripture is wrong and ungodly. In your opinion, it may be wrong and ungodly. But your response begs several questions: That a God exists, that the Bible is any kind of an authority on anything, that homosexuality is perverse, that homosexuality is a sin, and must be corrected. The 'sin' involved with homosexuality has always been the misguided and/or evil people who use a naturally occurring anomaly as an excuse to denigrated certain human beings, and thus to persecute them. When I was young I was teased and bullied at school because I started wearing eye glasses at about 7 or 8 years of age. This teasing by itself may not have been that bad, but piled onto all the other things that I was bullied about it seemed pretty horrible. But how was I to do anything different. I couldn't see well enough to function in a classroom without eye glasses, yet eye glasses somehow made me weird and a reason to be persecuted. That is a pretty mild thing compared to bullying people because nature has selected them to have homosexual characteristics rather than heterosexual. Your opinion that homosexuality is a sin and must be repented for, IMO, is a sick attitude, and comments such as yours makes you the 'sinner' rather than the 'saint'. I find it repugnant that so-called 'Christians' try to justify their hatred by quoting God or the Bible.
Boots, I am sorry that you werre the victim of cruel behaviour by some of your school mates. Children can certainly be very mean. Obviously, such behaviour is 'unchristian'. I do feel that you have been unfair in your response to my post. You assume that my beliefs, or the scriptures themselves promote hate. That is simply not true. I don't hate lost people because they have not yet come to know Jesus. I do not hate drug addicts for thier addictions, but I can still tell them that to continue in that lifestyle is wrong and damaging. I could not help them if I said'I'm o.k., you're o.k., so lets all just get along. Their is a big difference in hating the habit and hating the addict. And it might help you to know that I do have a 'gay' son. I do love him and he knows that, but he also knows that I do not approve of his lifestyle. I pray for him, and councel him and several times his mother and I have had to help him pick up the pieces after bad things happened in his relationships. I would also defend him if anyone was mean to him. But homosexuality is wrong,no matter who it is that is caught in its grip. Hope this helps you to better understand the christian perspective. Blessings are from God. They are available to you.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#223636 Oct 7, 2010
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the Nasal part was just a little ribbing, don't be so touchy.
Ribbing....no problem Antoinette....there we are even.

:o)
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>The discussion I was having with Mr. Mind was specific to Catholic teaching, not to your or his personal beliefs. He insists that the CATHOLIC CHURCH has CHANGED it's teachings. I simply proved that she has not. You then chimed in and were also wrong.
No we weren't, because I also stated that what the "Catholic Church" teaches comes from their Catechism, which is a derivation of interpretation upon the Bible. It is only such, and therefore a teaching based upon man's ideology. Whether or not they have detoured from that that teaching is really irrelevant, because it still start with them.

If you throw away the Catechism, then what do you have?
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately for you, in order to strike me out you would have to be pitching in the same ballpark, and you were not. Sorry.
*SWWWOOOOSH* Wow...another fastball right past you.

Man - I could be another Halladay!!

Blessed Mind

Winter Garden, FL

#223637 Oct 7, 2010
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Anthony, you are the one who is wrong, as the Catholic Church has changed its teachings many times over the centuries.
This is like posting to a true believer in North Korea. Ant only knows what he is told, doesn't question, attacks sources while providing none of his own, etc., etc.

He also spins the meaning of words -- his definition of "teachings" isn't the same as Websters or what is commonly accepted by English speaking people worldwide.

This has been an education. I would not have believed it had I not experienced it here. Obviously, you, I and the rest of the world could provide example after example, but it wouldn't matter to a brainwashed North Korean, nor a catholic like Ant.

Albuquerque, NM

#223638 Oct 7, 2010
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sticking your nose (nose/nasal, get it now?) into other people's conversations not knowing what the points of the discussion are is why you are still off track. Please see my previous post. Thanks so much.
It's a public forum....so if you want to keep your posts private, maybe you should use the new messaging system Topix has added to registered users.

*shrugs*

And you are wrong....I understood the talking points just fine. You just don't seem to like the answers I responded with.

Albuquerque, NM

#223639 Oct 7, 2010
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Anthony, you are the one who is wrong, as the Catholic Church has changed its teachings many times over the centuries.
...and those "changes" have also been posted in this forum at one time or another. Maybe he was abscent on those day....*shrugs*.....

“Can't Touch Dis!”

Since: Sep 10

Stroudsburg, PA

#223640 Oct 7, 2010
4gvn wrote:
<quoted text>Boots, I am sorry that you werre the victim of cruel behaviour by some of your school mates. Children can certainly be very mean. Obviously, such behaviour is 'unchristian'. I do feel that you have been unfair in your response to my post. You assume that my beliefs, or the scriptures themselves promote hate. That is simply not true. I don't hate lost people because they have not yet come to know Jesus. I do not hate drug addicts for thier addictions, but I can still tell them that to continue in that lifestyle is wrong and damaging. I could not help them if I said'I'm o.k., you're o.k., so lets all just get along. Their is a big difference in hating the habit and hating the addict. And it might help you to know that I do have a 'gay' son. I do love him and he knows that, but he also knows that I do not approve of his lifestyle. I pray for him, and councel him and several times his mother and I have had to help him pick up the pieces after bad things happened in his relationships. I would also defend him if anyone was mean to him. But homosexuality is wrong,no matter who it is that is caught in its grip. Hope this helps you to better understand the christian perspective. Blessings are from God. They are available to you.
4gvn, I totally agree with Booot's post, but I also commend you for not tormenting your son over the way God made him. I'm sure you're a good parent. Your son is lucky to have such a loving parent, and of course I know you're lucky to have him. God bless - I greatly admire your compassion even though you disagree with his lifestyle. Love wins out.

Albuquerque, NM

#223641 Oct 7, 2010
natthing wrote:
There is only one Holy Father, and he is no man, but He does know what it is like to be one, LET DOWN, PERSECUTED, HUMILIATED and IN PAIN
He does? How do you know?

Can you honestly say that you know the mind of "God"?

Maybe being more honest with yourself in this aspect will be a step forward in your search.

Lying to yourself, right off the bat, is not a good start.

Good Luck!
ReginaM

Hoboken, NJ

#223642 Oct 7, 2010
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem...-I pay attention to content...names and locations can be faked.
I knew people did that but never knew how. I just found out that there are IP changers available, kind of silly I think. It doesn't matter because my provider is always changing my location anyway.:)

Btw, I read the link you gave...what great advice! And just in the nick of time, I might add. ;) Thanks again!

Albuquerque, NM

#223643 Oct 7, 2010
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, now it is May 11. The last I heard it was May 21, 2011. That means we get 10 less days; that isn't fair. Wait till I get my hands on those people that put up all those posters that I saw last winter - they said clearly May 21, 2011. Gee I have already made plans to sell everything I have on the 20th. That means that it will be over and I won't have had the opportunity to sell everything first.
Now you have me second guessing....*winks*.....

http://ebiblefellowship.com/may21/index.html

Yep you are correct.....5-21-11 is "Judgment Day".....sounds sort of Terminator sci-fi-ish....huh?.....and of course we cannot forget about the "end of the world" day of 10-21-11 either.

Get rid of all those belongings now....I think Craig's list has a few spaces open.

And then use all the money you get to buy a boat...because you will need to know how to swim if you do not.....*smiles*.....

Once again....my apologies....you still have those extra 10 days.

Blessed Mind

Winter Garden, FL

#223644 Oct 7, 2010
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reminded of how the catholic church spins history when researching and posting about "Papal infallibility."

The way it works is simple.

1. The catholic church changes the definition.

2. Every time it does, it "re-interprets" what the previous definition "really meant."

3. Therefore, the church never "changed" its teaching.

Funny, but Papal infallibility wasn't made official until 1870, but the church now says it was in fact a reality for over 1600 years. Never mind that some prior Popes had rejected the concept outright, "nothing ever changed" according to church "teachings."

Wouldn't it be nice if we could avoid all accountability by changing the past!!! Of course, very few catholics are going to object, because they rely on the church for all of their beliefs. Failure to believe exactly as told is eternal damnation.

What a racket!!!
rainchester1

North Berwick, ME

#223645 Oct 7, 2010
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
He does? How do you know?
Can you honestly say that you know the mind of "God"?
Maybe being more honest with yourself in this aspect will be a step forward in your search.
Lying to yourself, right off the bat, is not a good start.
Good Luck!
Maybe you got this answer wrong.
rainchester1

North Berwick, ME

#223646 Oct 7, 2010
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you have me second guessing....*winks*.....
http://ebiblefellowship.com/may21/index.html
Yep you are correct.....5-21-11 is "Judgment Day".....sounds sort of Terminator sci-fi-ish....huh?.....and of course we cannot forget about the "end of the world" day of 10-21-11 either.
Get rid of all those belongings now....I think Craig's list has a few spaces open.
And then use all the money you get to buy a boat...because you will need to know how to swim if you do not.....*smiles*.....
Once again....my apologies....you still have those extra 10 days.
Tolja it's the 21st. And what's with selling stuff. Aren't we supposed to give it all to the poor?
Fun Facts

Houston, TX

#223647 Oct 7, 2010
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew people did that but never knew how. I just found out that there are IP changers available, kind of silly I think. It doesn't matter because my provider is always changing my location anyway.:)
Btw, I read the link you gave...what great advice! And just in the nick of time, I might add. ;) Thanks again!
Thank you and your most welcome:)
LTM

Pointe-claire, Canada

#223648 Oct 7, 2010
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The same thing happens to me and to most people, I'm sure. You're not alone. I think that's when we have to stop and ask God's help to center our minds and focus on Him. Your idea of doing so before hand is a good one. And God understands, as long as we keep trying and don't give up I believe our efforts and intentions count for a lot with Him. Do you ever try just saying small prayers? Catholics call them ejaculations..."Jesus, I love you", "Blessed Mother, pray for me", things like that said as you go about your day. Even stopping every now and then and just saying "Jesus" is a prayer. It's a nice habit to get into, but I have to keep working at it too!:)
I found this on another thread and I think you'll like it. I printed it out and keep it on the table beside me:
Heavenly Father,
in my present need,
help me to believe that you are aware of my anxiety
and will do what is best for me.
Give me the strength to trust you
and put the present and future in your hands.
Grant this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Actually I do sometimes when I need to pray but don't feel like it,(yeah sounds odd for a christian to admit that) I just start praising God and thanking Him for everything. Or I read psalms of praise and worship. I like that little prayer you posted.
As a christian who loves God, when I don't feel like talking to God is when I really should.
I find listening to worship music is wonderful also. Have you ever listened to "Robin Marks, Revival In Belfast". It is beautiful worship music.

Since: Oct 10

Atlanta, GA

#223649 Oct 7, 2010
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
Elizabeth, I applaud your willingness to let open-mindedness triumph over feelings/beliefs. That's not easy to do.
Blessed Mind

Winter Garden, FL

#223650 Oct 7, 2010
lnigo Montoya wrote:
<quoted text>No offense, but you should really do a better job at picking website that you use to bash Catholicism and its beliefs. Let's start with the very first paragraph of your link. Here's what they say: " It may jolt Catholics to hear it, but "the great Fathers of the Church saw no connection between the verse which Jesus addressed to Peter and the Bishops of Rome. Not one of them applies "Thou art Peter" to anyone but Peter. One after another they analyze it: Cyprian, Origen, Cyril, Hilary, Jerome, Ambrose, Augustine. They're not exactly Protestants. Not one of them calls the Bishop of Rome a Rock or applies to him specifically the promise of the keys."
So they don't use the specific words "a Rock" - so what? Instead, they refer to the keys (which only Peter received) as an office, that they call the "chair of Peter." And the church fathers most certainly supported the succession of those who were in the chair of Peter - the very church fathers whom this website implies did not:
CYPRIAN (AD 251): "The Lord says to Peter:‘I say to you,’ he says,‘that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it....’[Matt. 16:18]. On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, YET HE FOUNDED A SINGLE CHAIR [cathedra],..."
CYPRIAN (AD 251): If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built can he still be confident that he is in the Church?
CYPRIAN (AD 256): "Would heretics dare to come to the very seat of Peter whence apostolic faith is derived AND WHITHER NO ERRORS CAN COME"
IRENAEUS (AD 189): "With that church [ROME], because of ITS SUPERIOR ORIGIN, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition"
JEROME (AD 396): "Since the East, shattered as it is by the long-standing feuds, subsisting between its peoples, is bit by bit tearing into shreds the seamless vest of the Lord ... I think it MY DUTY TO CONSULT THE CHAIR OF PETER."
AMBROSE (AD 388): "[T]hey [the Novatian heretics] have not the succession of Peter, WHO HOLD NOT THE CHAIR OF PETER, which they rend by wicked schism
AUGUSTINE (AD 412): "If all men throughout the world were such as you most vainly accuse them of having been, WHAT HAS THE ROMAN CHURCH DONE TO YOU, IN WHICH PETER SAT, AND IN WHICH ANASTASIUS SITS TODAY?"
If you want to avoid becoming a Catholic, then you will definitely want to avoid studying the early Church fathers. To study the early Church fathers is to become Catholic, my friends.
Peace.
I used that link because it contained a concise summary of Papal Infallibility. I wasn't really paying attention to the section that offends you.

Why not do some research and find out if a couple of Popes did indeed reject the concept outright, before it was officially accepted in 1870.

Furthermore, why don't you check out what Pope Benedict is now saying about Papal infallibility ("too broadly construed") and compare it to what he wrote 20 or so years ago.

"Re-interpreting" is nothing more than "changing the meaning" with 20/20 hindsight for the entire world, except the catholic church.

Furthermore, why are so many Bible verses taken at face value, while others have to be interpreted in light of this and that? Is your god not capable of making a clear and understandable statement? You seem to think the Bible is a secret code book that only certain high ranking catholics can understand. What kind of petty little god would do that to humanity, leaving out the vast majority of humanity out of the loop?

Save your indignation. It's the rest of humanity who should feel indignant.
Catholic Mom

Saratoga Springs, NY

#223651 Oct 7, 2010
I would be most interested to hear his response. The Catholic Church has been very clear about the Eucharist if one takes the time to read and understand it. Contemplation and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is essential for our spiritual development at Catholics.
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Mind has refused to answer my challenge to show where the Church has ever taught that the Eucharist is merely symbolic. I believe he was very poorly catechised as a youngster, or maybe just not bright enough to get it.
Catholic Mom

Saratoga Springs, NY

#223652 Oct 7, 2010
typo: spiritual development AS Catholics.
<><
LTM

Pointe-claire, Canada

#223653 Oct 7, 2010
4gvn wrote:
<quoted text>Boots, I am sorry that you werre the victim of cruel behaviour by some of your school mates. Children can certainly be very mean. Obviously, such behaviour is 'unchristian'. I do feel that you have been unfair in your response to my post. You assume that my beliefs, or the scriptures themselves promote hate. That is simply not true. I don't hate lost people because they have not yet come to know Jesus. I do not hate drug addicts for thier addictions, but I can still tell them that to continue in that lifestyle is wrong and damaging. I could not help them if I said'I'm o.k., you're o.k., so lets all just get along. Their is a big difference in hating the habit and hating the addict. And it might help you to know that I do have a 'gay' son. I do love him and he knows that, but he also knows that I do not approve of his lifestyle. I pray for him, and councel him and several times his mother and I have had to help him pick up the pieces after bad things happened in his relationships. I would also defend him if anyone was mean to him. But homosexuality is wrong,no matter who it is that is caught in its grip. Hope this helps you to better understand the christian perspective. Blessings are from God. They are available to you.
I agree with you homosexuality wrong, saying that doesn't mean I would treat a homosexual person different then someone else.
My husbands brother's partner and I became fast friends, even though they are no longer together. My brother-in-law did get married to a woman and had a bunch of children.
My son went through a period in his life also of homosexual relations and talked to me about it. I told him what the bible said about it, that I still loved him no matter what he is my son.
He did get married and had a son.

OIF

Since: Oct 10

United States

#223654 Oct 7, 2010
keltec 9mm wrote:
Valkyrian Ride:
Roman Catholic church the only true church, huh? Well, if the pope knew anything about history, he'd know that, although Martin Luther was German, the biggest followers of the protestent beliefs were the dutch and the english (I am both). And they kicked catholic butt. And if you go to Holland (Netherlands) even today, the catholics are not welcome there. So keep saying thing like that, pope, and we'll kick your a** AGAIN.>>>>
So who would want to be English or Dutch anyway? One sounds worse than the other. As an added note the nazis made medallions and coins of Martin Luther who was a virulent anti- semitic.
If you knew any thing about history, You would know that the pope was right. Jesus Christ started the Catholic church. Man started the rest about 1500 year Jesus die

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Stilgar Fifrawi 797,657
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 6 min Al Capone 5,331
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min onemale 267,672
Do white girls like Hispanic guys? (Girls who a... (Jan '14) 40 min Basque_Spaniards 17
sexy boobs (Jul '14) 1 hr LALIT KUMAR 4
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 4,574
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr MUQ1 38,072
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 607,280
Scientific proof for God's existence 2 hr Ooogah Boogah 660
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 9 hr Fred 178
More from around the web