Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257140 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#208331 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Whether or not you drink coffee and smoke cigarettes, death is inevitable.
Then you can't reproduce anymore.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Scientific studies have proven that if you die, you can't reproduce and therefore you can't evolve.
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Oh. You changed your statement.
Please, do continue talking out of your arse.

Changed my statement?

When?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208332 Jan 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
WASHINGTON—Dr. Stephen Hawking’s recent statement that the black holes he famously described do not actually exist underscores “the danger inherent in listening to scientists,” Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minnesota) said today.
Rep. Bachmann unleashed a blistering attack on Dr. Hawking, who earlier referred to his mistake on black holes as his “biggest blunder.”
“Actually, Dr. Hawking, our biggest blunder as a society was ever listening to people like you,” said Rep. Bachmann.“If black holes don’t exist, then other things you scientists have been trying to foist on us probably don’t either, like climate change and evolution.”
Rep. Bachmann added that all the students who were forced to learn about black holes in college should now sue Dr. Hawking for a full refund.“Fortunately for me, I did not take any science classes in college,” she said.
Bachmann’s anti-Hawking comments seemed to be gaining traction on Capitol Hill, as seen from the statement by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), Chairman of the House Science Committee, who said,“Going forward, members of the House Science Committee will do our best to avoid listening to scientists.”
A satire blog?

Okay...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208333 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.c om/news/macklemore-madonna-per form-same-love-674168
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25465...
Live!! In the comfort of your own living room!!
The freak shows you have been dying to see!!
Why bother building relationships with other human beings, or doing the dirty yourself? Why go to all of that trouble and expense expereincing life?
Tune in and turn on!!
Now a word from our sponsors.
Newly married? Need a divorce?
Call Catcher1 at 696lb69696.
Buy Bounty, the quicker picker upper.
Vaginal infection? Try our new and improved hypoallergenic silicone dildo with hypoallergenic lube enhanced with stimulating chemicals to give you, or your partner, that special feeling you always desired.
Children giving you fits? Try Zombie drink. Fortified with the latest chemicals to make a more perfect world.
Excited by your new improved hypoallergenic dildo? Want to spend more time with it? Simple. Quit going to church on Sundays. Stay home and savor life. This message brought to you by the National Association of Topix Atheists Seeking a Viable Alternative to The Old Homophobic Way of Doing Things.
LMAO!

"the National Association of Topix Atheists Seeking a Viable Alternative to The Old Homophobic Way of Doing Things."

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#208334 Jan 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of questions, Buck.
I'll field only this one, because it's in my bailiwick.
The laws of our civil society are also subject to the U.S. Constitution.
To deny the right to marry to same sex couples violates the equal protection clause.
And don't you dare argue with me about this.
It's no longer open to question.
No, it does not violate the equal protection clause.

But if it does, we have a "living Constitution", right?

It didn't violate it yesterday, violates it today. Why not just wait till tomorrow and see what it says?

Might save a lot of wrangling to just wait and see where the "living document" lives tomorrow.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#208335 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like the idea of unnecessary body modifications, I don't even like make up but that's just me, I don't care what others choose to do, not my business.
What meter?
You're born, you live, you die. I think it's all natural and prefer to focus on the living part.
I agree, I do still have a lot to learn and am an eager student.
I just think it's sad to be so miserable all the time.
Learning is best done by doing.

Misery comes from focusing on the worst to the exclusion of everything else. Like the evil those homophobic Christians preaching eternal life do to those that just want to suck dick to get ahead in the world right now. Yeah, that is really an important thing for you to focus your individual life on. Their issues.

Me? I'm not miserable. I usually find something to get my interest and make me happy. Just had one since my previous post. I have a 20 year old tankless water heater I pulled from the grave three times already I use in my spa room. Two were gas problems, one was water. Worked beautifully. I winterized that room this year but failed to properly drain it. So I fired it up a while back only to find it sprang a leak in a valve that just wasn't getting repaired by putting on more gasket material. This morning I cleaned a part of that valve more thoroughly and test fitted and noticed a slight rocking motion to what should have been a flat fit. Lo and behold, I look at this piece of brass and notice a slight out of flat near a couple of holes where bolts secured it to the other portion, which I couldn't dismantle without an extreme expenditure of time and energy. The ice pushed the two components apart, bending those lugs slightly, and thus too far apart to seal properly on one side of it, resulting in the testing earlier spraying cold water all over me. Now I have to figure how to flatten them back without the proper equipment and without damage in doing so. This gave me confidence in my pursuit of resurrecting this thing again, and makes me happy. I'm really a simple soul.

That leak was really bugging the shit out of me.

Cigarettes, pussy, or making something work just makes my day.

:-)

Wow! Those full flavor cigarettes got me fired up today.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#208336 Jan 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave has no need of reality. His musings aren't graded in a classroom, aren't used to solicit research funding or in the designs of experimental protocols, aren't being submitted for publication, and don't have to be confirmed or even to correspond to any observation.
Dave just needs to feel like he is a player, which he does by generating sciency poetry and by telling those that critique it that they are stuck in a box, that they spend too much time with books, and that he is over their heads.
Dave scores a lot of points on the crackpot index.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

La Veta, CO

#208337 Jan 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
WASHINGTON—Dr. Stephen Hawking’s recent statement that the black holes he famously described do not actually exist underscores “the danger inherent in listening to scientists,” Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minnesota) said today.
Rep. Bachmann unleashed a blistering attack on Dr. Hawking, who earlier referred to his mistake on black holes as his “biggest blunder.”
“Actually, Dr. Hawking, our biggest blunder as a society was ever listening to people like you,” said Rep. Bachmann.“If black holes don’t exist, then other things you scientists have been trying to foist on us probably don’t either, like climate change and evolution.”
Rep. Bachmann added that all the students who were forced to learn about black holes in college should now sue Dr. Hawking for a full refund.“Fortunately for me, I did not take any science classes in college,” she said.
Bachmann’s anti-Hawking comments seemed to be gaining traction on Capitol Hill, as seen from the statement by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), Chairman of the House Science Committee, who said,“Going forward, members of the House Science Committee will do our best to avoid listening to scientists.”
Hmmmm...

our resident lawyer chooses to represent satire as truth.

One allegation after another, no facts or truth.

Such does fit into your agenda.

You are despicable.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#208338 Jan 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it does not violate the equal protection clause.
But if it does, we have a "living Constitution", right?
It didn't violate it yesterday, violates it today. Why not just wait till tomorrow and see what it says?
Might save a lot of wrangling to just wait and see where the "living document" lives tomorrow.
Mea culpa, Buck.

I introduced humor to the thread just a little while ago.

You're entitled to do the same.

The thread's equal protection clause so entitles you.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208339 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Cool! I'm getting a buzz from these full flavor L&M's. I was deprived for so long. Damned government interfering with my inalienable human right to the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness with their taxes and prohibitions. Must be a bunch of fundies behind that.

Hey, IANS, you should take up smoking again. Would help your thinking.
More great advice. You're such a role model for thinking.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Heavenly. L&M, my favorite cigarette is available again. Have one in my hand right now, And a cup of coffee, with cream and sugar, something I don't do often. Cold outside, warm inside. Take a gulp of coffee. A puff. Another puff. And another. A little sip. Another couple of puffs. Take me sweet Jesus. After I finish this pack.
More exemplary thinking.

Fennario

#208340 Jan 27, 2014
You don't question it. You accept it on faith. Questioning is skepticism.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You're wrong, Dilbert. I question Christianity and the Bible all the time.
Not for truth-value. Sorry, but that's just not credible. It's inconsistent with the rest of your posting.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When a question about it arises, I research it until I find an answer. I'm the religious skeptic.
That's not skepticism.
Ask yourself this: what could your questioning possibly reveal to you that would cause you to reject the tenets of your faith? Once you realize that the answer is that nothing could do that, you will understand that you are not questioning your god belief. Your questioning bypasses that and only asks what is the nature of the god whose existence you accept unquestioned.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nothing has come across to me that would lead me reject my faith.
And nothing could.
Make the case that I hurt Christians and I will modify my behavior.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm only trying to demonstrate to you that your tactic of people crying “hurt”, that the church does so much harm, is a load of crap. It's time to shut you down. Your strategy has become [in]effective.
Then you failed. I told you how the church hurts gays. You parroted me, but couldn't back up your claim.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#208341 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Learning is best done by doing.

Misery comes from focusing on the worst to the exclusion of everything else. Like the evil those homophobic Christians preaching eternal life do to those that just want to suck dick to get ahead in the world right now. Yeah, that is really an important thing for you to focus your individual life on. Their issues.

Me? I'm not miserable. I usually find something to get my interest and make me happy. Just had one since my previous post. I have a 20 year old tankless water heater I pulled from the grave three times already I use in my spa room. Two were gas problems, one was water. Worked beautifully. I winterized that room this year but failed to properly drain it. So I fired it up a while back only to find it sprang a leak in a valve that just wasn't getting repaired by putting on more gasket material. This morning I cleaned a part of that valve more thoroughly and test fitted and noticed a slight rocking motion to what should have been a flat fit. Lo and behold, I look at this piece of brass and notice a slight out of flat near a couple of holes where bolts secured it to the other portion, which I couldn't dismantle without an extreme expenditure of time and energy. The ice pushed the two components apart, bending those lugs slightly, and thus too far apart to seal properly on one side of it, resulting in the testing earlier spraying cold water all over me. Now I have to figure how to flatten them back without the proper equipment and without damage in doing so. This gave me confidence in my pursuit of resurrecting this thing again, and makes me happy. I'm really a simple soul.

That leak was really bugging the shit out of me.

Cigarettes, pussy, or making something work just makes my day.

:-)

Wow! Those full flavor cigarettes got me fired up today.
That was almost an interesting post.

I don't care that you smoke Dave, I'm sure that with all your wisdom and magic, you'll eventually figure out how to ark me up.

I sense that you cannot get a woman to touch you and can see why.

I'll let you get back to your misery now.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#208342 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>

More great advice. You're such a role model for thinking.
<quoted text>
More exemplary thinking.
Thanks, man.

Fennario

#208343 Jan 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your incessant rants about "the church" and supposed Christian homophobia are exhausting.
I thought that you once posted that you were learning tolerance from the unbelievers here. What's exhausting is the effort required to do that. It's like rolling a mossy boulder up an icy hill into a headwind during a mudslide.

La Veta, CO

#208344 Jan 27, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave scores a lot of points on the crackpot index.
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html
Dave is waiting for your explanation of how magical holes in a finite and contiguous universal collection of stuff can grind up matter and spit it out.

Give me some real physics, big boy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208345 Jan 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of questions, Buck.
I'll field only this one, because it's in my bailiwick.
The laws of our civil society are also subject to the U.S. Constitution.
To deny the right to marry to same sex couples violates the equal protection clause.
And don't you dare argue with me about this.
It's no longer open to question.
So says the Supreme Court.

They're always right, huh?

Fennario

#208346 Jan 27, 2014
Bongo wrote:
You should also educate your fellow , Jim, about the fault of him making positive claims.
Why do you say that making positive claims is a fault? You and I both do it.

La Veta, CO

#208347 Jan 27, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
That was almost an interesting post.
I don't care that you smoke Dave, I'm sure that with all your wisdom and magic, you'll eventually figure out how to ark me up.
I sense that you cannot get a woman to touch you and can see why.
I'll let you get back to your misery now.
It's the saggy skin, nose and ear hair. You will understand when you get older.

Sigh...

In the old days I would have found the problem earlier, but the eyes are worn out, the hands are worn out, I'm worn out. If I just had a young woman eager to learn new tricks.

Fennario

#208348 Jan 27, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Poor IANS. He doesn't understand how poetry expands the consciousness and connections. He understands Tab A into Slot A, and detailed instructions on how to assemble something. Wow!! He so smart, he put things together like they told him to. His creativity and imagination is limited to his believing in his intelligence and knowledge.
You know how much we all value your insights and advice.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208349 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not for truth-value. Sorry, but that's just not credible. It's inconsistent with the rest of your posting.
<quoted text>
That's not skepticism.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And nothing could.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Then you failed. I told you how the church hurts gays. You parroted me, but couldn't back up your claim.
No church hurts gays.

Get off your high horse, the air is a little thin up there....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#208350 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>
I thought that you once posted that you were learning tolerance from the unbelievers here. What's exhausting is the effort required to do that. It's like rolling a mossy boulder up an icy hill into a headwind during a mudslide.
Uh-huh

And getting you to acknowledge that some people teach homophobia and not "the church" is like pushing a rope.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 52 min King Salim 974,840
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 52 min Thinking 71,024
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 58 min King Salim 45,627
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Internet Reality 618,858
girls how many gangbangs have you had (Feb '15) 1 hr Ewwwww 62
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr guest 658,878
Trump is un-American... 1 hr Tony 2
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 3 hr gundee123 5,059
News Reason to cringe: Female voters react to Trump 7 hr Go Blue Forever 253
More from around the web