Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#208231 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The 77 non religious reasons covered that. Work on your comprehension.
My comprehension is fine. When I read your link, it told me that it's nothing but propaganda.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#208232 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I missed the part where you acknowledge you read Rand's book.
Some posers claim to have read entirely through 600,000 words so utterly banal, so laughably hubristic, and just drier than a elderly nun's hoohoo, with characters drawn so mechanical they make Robbie the Robot look like Jim Carrey, but I couldn't survive. I picked it up at a garage sale, thank goodness, read three chapters, and skip-read the rest. What I found was a bloviated doorstop, whose themes nonetheless have been promoted by everyone in the neoconservative realm from from Alan Greenspan down to Paul Ryan. "Selfishness glorified as ideology." - that about sums it up, doesn't it? More detail? Ok - Social progressives are subhumans come to shoot your Shitzhu and piss in your pool, while Capitalists are the blessed messengers of an unknown god. See, I could have saved you about two months (if you really did read it). Is it grand dystopian fiction? No, more like absurdist pulp horror for fledgling New Republicans.

More importantly, though, my reading of it has any bearing whatsoever on the example presented of the man who claims Rand as guiding light, same man runs century-old corporation to the dirt. "Rugged Individualism", my ass.

One thing topix has been great for is witnessing the vast assortment of dodges people resort to rather than confront a simple factual truth. I can see why you might be drawn to her tho'- Rand's monochromatic world-view mirrors that of evangi-fundies - if you agree with them, you're great; if not, you're the enemy.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#208233 Jan 26, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I can think of another word that starts with 'W' to describe him.
LOLOLOL!!

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#208234 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Homophobia is you.
You wear it well.
Christian morality - Useless Terms 101.
Don't you love oxymorons.
:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#208235 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Some churches members resist SSM in particular and the gay lobby in general in their radical attempts to alter society. To maintain the status quo as far as regulation of legal marrige. That is not the same as usurping power. You need to do better then throwing out reckless accusations.
You haven't made your case. In my opinion, it is not the church's place to be trying to dictate public policy. People outside of the church seem to want gay marriage legalized. What business is it of the church to oppose that? What is its legitimate role in politics?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Be aware of how the public perceives groups you represent. Vilifying and continually blaming the church. I provided a pamphlet about non religious reasons to oppose SSM and you ignored opposition is not only from church groups. Non religious groups oppose it also.
I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure that without church input, same sex marriage would be legal. The evidence for that is that its becoming legal in more and more jurisdictions anyway despite the church.

Also, the church vilifies itself by meddling in the affairs of non-Christians. Is it so surprising that those who don't share your values resent you imposing them on their lives?.

Fennario

#208236 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
The gates of hell will not prevail against the church. This mean spirited stuff is used by opposition groups [Pro homosexual sophists] for propaganda purposes. Anybody who opposes their agenda is homophobic and in the same category as southern racists and on and on ad nauseam.
This is the kind of thing that is hurting your cause. It alienates people. You refer to your detractors in terms like "the gates of hell," support racists and homophobes, and then call others mean spirited.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Yesterday i responded the whole alleged linkage between blacks as human rights and homosexual sophists attempting attempts to put themselves in the same category as human rights for blacks. Skin color is morally neutral and homosexual conduct is morally questionable.
And your argument was rejected. You are saying that people deserve rights because of color but not sexual behavior. I find teaching children about hell morally questionable. Do you want that behavior protected or not? If yes, then how is your objection to gay rights different than to an objection of Christian rights? Neither is a skin color.

Fennario

#208237 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Today out comes the same old song and dance of equating homosexual movement with the civil rights movement. To oppose SSM is to be put in the same category as southern racists.
I find the similarities striking and significant, and judging by how often the comparison is made, I'd say that I'm not alone.
lightbeamrider wrote:
So it is spamming. Repeating the same old tired song and dance over and over. Throw enough mud at the wall and some will stick. Their tactics are bad enough but when culture at large buys into it then they get what they deserve.
Punishment, right? They deserve punishment. That's another meme we'll need to work on once we have the floor. That's an Abrahamic perspective, the one that fuels the failed War on Drugs, which frames drug use and drug users as defiant and sinful people deserving punishment. Humanists have a different idea.

Fennario

#208238 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Since when do you think the church has any interest in your unsolicited advice?
I have never thought that it was interested in anybody's advice. I also don't think that it is capable of adapting to changing times.
lightbeamrider wrote:
We will teach our children to have no loyalty to the culture of the American elite, and will instead teach them to be loyal to a competing culture that upholds the family. Whether we home school our kids or not, we will withdraw them at an early age from any sense of belonging to contemporary American culture. We're already far down that road
Good luck.

You make several of my points, however. An institution with such an attitude has no business dictating its values to unbelievers, the church vilifies itself, and it is too inflexible to adapt.
lightbeamrider wrote:
why in the world should we trust that government enough to let it have authority over our children?
Why should I trust the church to do that?

Fennario

#208239 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
The 77 non religious reasons covered that. Work on your comprehension.
I glanced at your brochure and saw nothing of interest there. If you have one good reason for opposing same sex marriage, give it here. Assumptions and unsupported claims won't do.

Fennario

#208240 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
If you had collapsed matter you would have a lump, not a hole. A really solid object. If you star collapsed to nothing, then the collapse sent everything flying. Which leaves no mass to cause gravity.
Richardfs wrote:
Which only demonstrates you have NO idea what you are talking about because you have ZERO and I mean truly ZERO idea of what you are talking about.
Cadet Nelson doesn't care if he knows what he's talking about just as long as he is talking. What he cares about are his monthly entitlement checks, his next carton of cigarettes, and the ability to spend his remaining days generating his sciency poetry and grumpily chasing "Topix atheists" off his virtual lawn.

Fennario

#208241 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Didn't you just post, "Wiki is your god and Bible, scar" only minutes before linking to it?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#208242 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bibXZUZVonwXX
Have you seen Skins? The first two seasons were absolutely Emmy worthy. The rest was shit.
I watched a wee bit of it yeah. Nice, it'n it.

Fennario

#208243 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Secular case against gay marriage.
http://secularright.org/SR/wordpress/a-secula...
We've seen it all before from Christians, and rejected it then as now.

Homophobia in the "secular right" is also sustained by the church.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#208244 Jan 26, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you just post, "Wiki is your god and Bible, scar" only minutes before linking to it?
One might think those so self-absorbed would be just a touch more self-aware.....

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#208245 Jan 26, 2014
<quoted text>
I glanced at your brochure and saw nothing of interest there. If you have one good reason for opposing same sex marriage, give it here. Assumptions and unsupported claims won't do.
I already put that out there for him.

I'm still waiting for an intelligent response.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#208246 Jan 26, 2014
<quoted text>Didn't you just post, "Wiki is your god and Bible, scar" only minutes before linking to it?
lol

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#208247 Jan 27, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched a wee bit of it yeah. Nice, it'n it.
I've been watching Fresh Meat.

It's my Nanny's fault. I wasn't born in the UK but I lived there for a short time. No...it's my parents fault. They sent me there. A Chinese girl with a British accent? Why not just tattoo a target on my forehead?

My post number was 2112 so...

Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#208248 Jan 27, 2014
<quoted text>
He has the attention span of a goldfish.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#208249 Jan 27, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
He has the attention span of a goldfish.
lol

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#208250 Jan 27, 2014
River Tam wrote:
I've been watching Fresh Meat.
It's my Nanny's fault. I wasn't born in the UK but I lived there for a short time. No...it's my parents fault. They sent me there. A Chinese girl with a British accent? Why not just tattoo a target on my forehead?
My post number was 2112 so...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YYSW73GWRUwXX
I've seen trailers for that.

Sherlock is in my periphery too.

Hey, did you tell me to watch The Inbetweeners? I can't remember when I watched it or how much I watched. I liked that one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Dee Dee Dee 31,581
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Aerobatty 987,417
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 49 min Just Think 687,412
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr Prophet Meowmed 39,264
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Prophet Meowmed 286,598
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Peter Ross 6,494
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 5 hr HFCS - What It Is 2
More from around the web