Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#208191 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Since the wind has picked up and getting colder I am taking my old butt to bed.
RichardFoS, I am sincerely looking forward to your critique in the morning. Dazzle and destroy me with your ironclad and indisputable cosmology and physics that changes every day.
What's in the hole of a black hole, Richard?
A singularity.

Gee don't you know anything?
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#208192 Jan 26, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Good night, windwalker...
I can think of another word that starts with 'W' to describe him.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#208193 Jan 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget Seen, mac and anyone who dares to disagree with king skombully.
Right..
There's too many to mention that have fallen into this fellas trap
of hate..
There once was this man who called himself " Ham".
Christian or not.. His heart was pure. And Skom still found cause ( or two)
to fight w him.

I believe if you could be at odds w Ham.. There is mental disconnect.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#208194 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Some churches members resist SSM in particular and the gay lobby in general in their radical attempts to alter society. To maintain the status quo as far as regulation of legal marrige. That is not the same as usurping power. You need to do better then throwing out reckless accusations.
<quoted text> Be aware of how the public perceives groups you represent. Vilifying and continually blaming the church. I provided a pamphlet about non religious reasons to oppose SSM and you ignored opposition is not only from church groups. Non religious groups oppose it also.
<quoted text> The gates of hell will not prevail against the church. This mean spirited stuff is used by opposition groups [Pro homosexual sophists] for propaganda purposes. Anybody who opposes their agenda is homophobic and in the same category as southern racists and on and on ad nauseam. Yesterday i responded the whole alleged linkage between blacks as human rights and homosexual sophists attempting attempts to put themselves in the same category as human rights for blacks. Skin color is morally neutral and homosexual conduct is morally questionable. Today out comes the same old song and dance of equating homosexual movement with the civil rights movement. To oppose SSM is to be put in the same category as southern racists. So it is spamming. Repeating the same old tired song and dance over and over. Throw enough mud at the wall and some will stick. Their tactics are bad enough but when culture at large buys into it then they get what they deserve.
<quoted text> The church will win the war. <quoted text> Oh yeah surrender. Since when do you think the church has any interest in your unsolicited advice? <quoted text> Historically the pendulum swings and you are no prophet. There is plenty of youth attending church along with college students. Plenty of Christian groups on college campuses.
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02...
We will teach our children to have no loyalty to the culture of the American elite, and will instead teach them to be loyal to a competing culture that upholds the family. Whether we home school our kids or not, we will withdraw them at an early age from any sense of belonging to contemporary American culture.
We're already far down that road. Already most parents regard schools -- an institution of the state that most directly touches our children -- as the enemy, even though we like and trust the individual teachers -- because we perceive, correctly, that schools are being legally obligated to brainwash our children to despise the values that keep civilization alive.
And if marriage itself ceases to exist as a legally distinct social union with protection from the government, then why in the world should we trust that government enough to let it have authority over our children?
SSM is legal in 18 states (soon to be 19 after Utah loses their appeal) plus the District of Columbia. It's coming even faster than I thought it would.

You can't defend your house of cards against a hurricane. Just stand back and watch it fall.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#208195 Jan 26, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Right..
There's too many to mention that have fallen into this fellas trap
of hate..
There once was this man who called himself " Ham".
Christian or not.. His heart was pure. And Skom still found cause ( or two)
to fight w him.
I believe if you could be at odds w Ham.. There is mental disconnect.
Trying to think of anyone on Topix I DIDN'T fight with at some point.......

Sensucs, PeaceWarrior and Bliindman.......... That's about it I think.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#208196 Jan 26, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that if the bible, in combination with various doctrines is indicative, it is good because god commands it.
However, god is man made so I would say that whichever men came up with the god, commanded what is good; according to their own moral standards.
It also seems that god's directives can be altered by church doctrine, which would also be the will of man.
As for commanding what is good because it's good, that would depend on the ones doing the commanding, I don't see that option in the bible though.
You tackle it logically, therefore there's no conundrum you. For a believer, it's quite a different story.

If a god commands what is "good", then anything the god pronounces "good" is so. Thus there is no absolute whatsoever pronounced in the Bible. Every commandment can be shown in myriad examples to come with exceptions and qualifiers, ie Thou shalt not murder "except when people anger me or are in the way, and sometimes just when I want to impress the neighbors." The killing of innocents may sometimes be "good".

If on the other hand, a god commands a good because it is good (absolutely), then there must exist a "good" that transcends the god, that even the god is bound to obey or transgress.

“The future begins”

every moment

#208197 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
People on here should recognize I am an infrastructure maintaining oriented commenter on the human condition. I'm very physics, and thus consciousness coherency focused.
I don't know about all that, but people on here sure as hell should recognize the lunatic on the net.....

Location hidden

#208198 Jan 26, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Um..I'd say you had more than a few
1) You said in WSJLM that telling people they are going to he'll, even over the Internet, is a terrorist threat and used 9-11 as an example of the terrorism being the same
2) I wasn't talking about your fake moral outrage towards Mormons. I am saying clearly you knew about the test Abraham faced when you were a Mormon. If you honestly thought it was emotional terrorism you would have left the faith immediately. Not make the claims years later on the Internet because you are playing to an audience
And one could even argue while extremely difficult it would be selfish not to go through with it if they knew it would ensure their child's after-life. But that's a side note. Back to the nonsense
3) Who cares what others do? Aren't you still responsible for you? It is one thing to fight with someone looking for a fight. But do you really believe what anybody else does gives you a free pass to engage in hate rhetoric?
Btw, you told me you never drink and called me a liar for saying you had admitted to doing so several times in posts prior. Thank you for letting me put that to rest as I had no desire to look up old posts to show that you had lied
4) Everybody you mentioned, including yourself, came looking for me. Some even reported my whereabouts in other rooms and followed me there. So please don't confuse the reality of the situation. You guys would have kept going I had allowed it or if you felt it was working for you. As evident by the fact you only stopped when that became the case
4) Everybody you mentioned, including yourself, came looking for me. Some even reported my whereabouts in other rooms and followed me there. So please don't confuse the reality of the situation. You guys would have kept going I had allowed it or if you felt it was working for you. As evident by the fact you only stopped when that became the case.

lol. So full of grander!
You showed up "w gloves on" - on a thread I was already
on
for a year.

Too funny.. You think I looked for you??
Ahahahaha!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#208199 Jan 26, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
SSM is legal in 18 states (soon to be 19 after Utah loses their appeal) plus the District of Columbia. It's coming even faster than I thought it would.
You can't defend your house of cards against a hurricane. Just stand back and watch it fall.
Only 3 by popular vote according to this.

http://gaymarriage.procon.org/view.resource.p...

26 banned by constitutional amendment and state law. That means they must be overturned at the federal level. Initially from Minnesota where it is legal and converse with family members who tell me of the resulting changes. Gay boat cruises, bath houses. The influx of gays and businesses catering to them. So if it causes people of that persuasion to relocate to States which are more to their liking it is not all that bad of a result.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#208200 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
To the individual.
So indecency is relative to you?

Location hidden

#208201 Jan 26, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to think of anyone on Topix I DIDN'T fight with at some point.......
Sensucs, PeaceWarrior and Bliindman.......... That's about it I think.
Not sure you and I ever got into any "fights".
You might have p*ssed me off butting into debates I was already in.
Don't recall fighting w you.
-

“The future begins”

every moment

#208202 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Its a lot to read an i read it at least twice and i don't know if i would fit you taste. She is atheist. The book was banned in the old Soviet Union. Books are like smart pills and i felt smarter after i read that book.
I like it when a philosophy is put to the test of real-life application, don't you?

Eddie Lampert was a successful hedge fund manager and an Ayn Rand disciple, when he decide to go into retail, He worked his way into the CEO position at Sears, and immediately imposed a Randian management style which holds that people perform best when acting entirely in self-interest and in survival-mode competition against each other. Five years later, management at the executive level is in utter chaos, Sears' stock value has plummeted by half, and Sears has closed more than half it's stores nationwide.

Like the failed "supply-side economic" experiment, Randian values are no longer abstract ideas. They have been given a fair trial, and failed miserably, at least as far as 97% of Americans are concerned.

Location hidden

#208203 Jan 26, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the term homophobic appearing in almost all Topix atheist rants kind of keeps it an issue.
Your deflection is not going to work. By this time people have seen enough of the technique to know who is employing it and why.
Reality is right around the corner and coming at you.
Homophobia to gays is like kleptophobia to thieves. Fear of compulsive thieves. Useless terms 101.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#208204 Jan 26, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure you and I ever got into any "fights".
You might have p*ssed me off butting into debates I was already in.
Don't recall fighting w you.
-
We have had our disagreements and misunderstandings but always patch things up.

Perhaps "fight" was too strong a word. I apologize.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#208205 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Homophobia to gays is like kleptophobia to thieves. Fear of compulsive thieves. Useless terms 101.
Shrooms, huh ?

Location hidden

#208206 Jan 26, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I like it when a philosophy is put to the test of real-life application, don't you?
Eddie Lampert was a successful hedge fund manager and an Ayn Rand disciple, when he decide to go into retail, He worked his way into the CEO position at Sears, and immediately imposed a Randian management style which holds that people perform best when acting entirely in self-interest and in survival-mode competition against each other. Five years later, management at the executive level is in utter chaos, Sears' stock value has plummeted by half, and Sears has closed more than half it's stores nationwide.
Like the failed "supply-side economic" experiment, Randian values are no longer abstract ideas. They have been given a fair trial, and failed miserably, at least as far as 97% of Americans are concerned.
I missed the part where you acknowledge you read Rand's book.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#208207 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Homophobia to gays is like kleptophobia to thieves. Fear of compulsive thieves. Useless terms 101.
You probably thought that was a good reply and didn't even look at what you typed before you hit "post comment", huh.

Quit doing that.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#208208 Jan 26, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
Homophobia is you.

You wear it well.

Christian morality - Useless Terms 101.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#208209 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is indecent is relative.
I thought you knew.
Yes.

You've told us of the indecency of your relatives too.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#208210 Jan 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Yup.
Is it because you're a dolt?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Gabriel 985,758
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 48 min Doctor Trump 27,079
Why are so many black people so FAT? (Jul '09) 2 hr juliakk 230
Black women hate White men? (Feb '11) 2 hr juliakk 67
make money online. free. easy to start. no cred... (Sep '15) 2 hr juliakk 9
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Anthony MN 685,932
Leftists libs DONT KNOW their own history 4 hr Wake Up 2
More from around the web