Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256612 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#207665 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Wrong. I could marry a man and have kids. I still wouldn't be heterosexual or bisexual.
And you could still keep a girlfriend if you wanted to.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#207666 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The earth is 600 years old.
Boo.
Maybe in Pluto years.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#207667 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between asking for proof in reaction to a claim, and asking for proof of something unprovoked like you did with the hands.
There's also a difference between a trivial claim and an extraordinary one.
There's also a difference between "a god" and "God".
There's even a difference between "Prove your hands exist." and "Prove your Cadillac exists."
The vast majority of people have hands. The vast majority of people don't have Cadillacs.
It is reasonable to assume, that no matter how it's worded, asking for proof of gods or a god does not imply any belief in them.
Not according to you.

You said that if I asked you to prove your Cadillac, that implies I think you have a Cadillac to prove...
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#207668 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd think a carpenter would know how to remove nails.
He willingly went on a mission and that would have thwarted it. Im curious why no one has commented on why an obscure 33 year old carpenter made some statements that, incredibly are still echoing 2000 years later. Even classic rock songs will eventually be long forgotten.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#207669 Jan 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
77 Reasons to Support Man Woman Marriage
http://ruthinstitute.org/pdfs/77reasonsREAD-O...
Here's your # 77: "Same sex marriage amounts to a hostile takeover of civil society by the state."

It wasn't so long ago that your types said the same thing about interracial marriage.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#207670 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no sin.
There, you're free. You're welcome.
Is there any guilt ,shame or remorse? I feel horrible when I do wrong but cant stop doing some kind of wrong. I don't think I do any wrong as a matter of course.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#207671 Jan 25, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
77 Reasons to Support Man Woman Marriage
http://ruthinstitute.org/pdfs/77reasonsREAD-O...
So I don't have to read them all, which one addresses why atheism requires as much faith as religion?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#207672 Jan 25, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then why on earth couldn't CC's wife identify as a hetero? If you can identify as lesbian and Ians buddy can identify as gay she sure as hell can identify as hetero. Are you all bi? Is everyone bi?
That's not the point that Chris makes. If she's not a bisexual then she is either lying about being once homosexual or she is still homosexual. There are no other options.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#207673 Jan 25, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a passive/aggressive trait in you. You have also displayed great enthusiasm in making posts attacking those who disagree with you in a personal manner. There were many more than just YD.
You try to phrase things in a seeming intellectual manner while at the same time attacking those beliefs.
You are supposed to get a free pass?
Your entire issue with Christianity is the stance on gay marriage. That made Christianity, and Christians, evil in your eyes.
That is not a rational basis of discussion.
Your emotions are important to you. The same can be said for seven billion current and many more billions in the past. Your belief system is an important part of your life experience. It is to those other current seven billion.
You call them evil because they don't share in your personalized world view. Some of them called you evil, which you think is justification for calling all of them evil. You are a small minority of the greater whole. And evidently not the brightest or more understanding of reality.
The world really doesn't give a shit about what you believe in or how you live, but your attacking it causes problems of your own making.
You would make just as good a psychologist as you would a scientist.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#207674 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I want to be an assassin pirate in the 1700s.
Abstergo can help with that.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#207675 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe in Pluto years.
That isn't even close. Pluto year = 250 Earth years.

18,888,000 pluto years.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#207676 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave has you pegged. You are not gonna have it easy.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#207677 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
And you could still keep a girlfriend if you wanted to.
That would be immoral.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#207678 Jan 25, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth is 600 years old.
Boo.
And cats suck the breath out of babies, and the moon is made from green cheese.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#207679 Jan 25, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> He willingly went on a mission and that would have thwarted it. Im curious why no one has commented on why an obscure 33 year old carpenter made some statements that, incredibly are still echoing 2000 years later. Even classic rock songs will eventually be long forgotten.
Wow, I don't know. Give me a couple minutes. I'll ask Odysseus.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#207680 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the point that Chris makes. If she's not a bisexual then she is either lying about being once homosexual or she is still homosexual. There are no other options.
A 20 yr old virgin with ideations of being a lesbian going steady with another young girl is not an authority on human sexuality.

Period.

No practical experience. Plus too young to quit shitting yellow yet.

You forgot some other options. Perhaps you aren't aware of them due to youth and inexperience.

Experimentation, drug use, confusion. One can engage in homosexual activity without being a practicing homosexual, or homosexual at all. Just an opportunist or an experimenter. It is what they wind up as later in life as in sexual preferences.

Get some experience under your belt before lecturing us, young lady.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#207681 Jan 25, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so cute.

Did everyone pinch your cheeks when you were little?

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#207682 Jan 25, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A 20 yr old virgin with ideations of being a lesbian going steady with another young girl is not an authority on human sexuality.
Period.
No practical experience. Plus too young to quit shitting yellow yet.
You forgot some other options. Perhaps you aren't aware of them due to youth and inexperience.
Experimentation, drug use, confusion. One can engage in homosexual activity without being a practicing homosexual, or homosexual at all. Just an opportunist or an experimenter. It is what they wind up as later in life as in sexual preferences.
Get some experience under your belt before lecturing us, young lady.
All those decades and you still don't have a clue.

I have nothing against people experimenting. I've had sex with girls that aren't lesbians. It worked out for all of us. What they didn't do is say, "OMG, I had sex with a girl. Now I'm a lesbian". Homosexuality is not about the act of physical sex. Never was, never will be.

Have you forgotten how to learn or have you learned how to forget?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207683 Jan 25, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I understand the meaning of the meaning of the Abraham / Issac story. It's "Obey the Lord thy God", no matter what he says. But take a minute and think about the story.
God told Abraham to slay his son, for crying out loud. God wanted a man that would do what he said. God wanted a man that would kill his own son. What sort of God wants a man like that. Today, we would think such a man a monster. But God wanted a man just like that.
And God telling Abraham not to do it at the last second does not excuse Abraham in any way. Even though Abraham didn't kill Issac, Abraham was still a monster because he was willing to.
And the God character, for asking Abraham to do such a thing, even if God planned to stop Abraham at the last second, was still a JERK. Asking a man to kill his own son???
But then, this was all written in a time by people that were quite comfortable with the idea of human sacrifice. Even sacrificing their own children. So it isn't surprising that some Bronze Age writer thought it up.
That you can read that story and NOT come away with these realizations shows just how much damage your religion has done to your moral sense.
"God say so" is a really terrible basis for morality.
It was the ultimate test of faith.

A test that most men would fail.

Isaac was never in any danger.

That really sums it up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#207684 Jan 25, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were kidnapped along with a busload of children by a group of men with guns, and told to molest one child, or else the lot of them will be raped and murdered, your decision will determine what happens to all those children.
I can't say what I would or would not do, because I cannot make that determination without actually being in the situation so that I have access to the relevant information that would be necessary to make an ethical decision.
Absolute morality is a meaningless concept.
That's a disgusting analogy, man.

I'd tell the kidnappers no. I couldn't live with myself. Hell, I couldn't even get an erection, my morality would prevent it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 7 min WasteWater 2,601
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 27 min Thinking 64,617
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min Steve III 654,424
Calgary Plumbers 52 min calgaryplumbers 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,287
desperate to pee (Mar '09) 1 hr get real 210
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Dr Banonator 106,610
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr MUQ2 281,954
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Gabriel 973,952
More from around the web