Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#207262 Jan 24, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So where did the absolute moral absolute that lying is wrong come from?
As a Christian I can account for it, but where do you get it from if not Christianity?
Do you get some bible prize if you ask the same question 1,000 times?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#207263 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Let's do a little thought exercise about existing, knowledge, the future of mankind, etc, etc.
Now you have to put yourself into this little portal of peering out into reality scenario. You aren't just reading and pondering, you would be experiencing it.
You have to cross some train tracks to get where you want to go. There is a train approaching in the distance,a big old slow freight. Plenty of time to get across.
You get in the middle of the tracks and you think you hear a rattlesnake. You freeze. You look around and see a motion on the ground and instinctively jump. Unfortunately your foot slips and gets wedged under a cross tie, and you twist as you fall and it really gets stuck. You did something that takes a tremendous amount of talent.
Of course, since you are laying on the tracks and you think you just heard a snake and saw one you immediately look around for it in a sort of panicked mode.
Then you notice the piece of black plastic bag that was caught on the track. And your cellphone, which was set on vibrate goes off again, vibrating something in your purse or briefcase.
Jeez, you kinda feel like a dummy.
But your foot is still stuck and you are laying on the tracks.
And you look up and noticed that freight train is about 5 seconds away. Gee, it looks big at that distance. Really big.
So. Whatcha gonna think about for the next 5 seconds?
Suing the railroad for sloppy maintenance?
Darwin's theory of evolution?
Carl Sagan's universe?
Those nasty assed homophobes, racists, and bigots on Topix?
The poor endangered snail darter?
The glorious future of mankind led by the scientific method?
Uh oh. it kinda don't look like that train is gonna stop.
Did anyone on this thread read any of the above?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#207264 Jan 24, 2014
The Mars Rover found something very interesting the other day. A jelly filled donut “rock” just materialized. The camera had taken a picture of that area before and there was no jelly donut. And 12 days later, there it was.

NASA is wondering how did this happen? They have some ideas but there’re not really positive. I think God is having some fun with NASA.

“After a decade on the Martian surface, you might think that NASA's Opportunity rover has seen it all. But just before the 10th anniversary of the rover's landing, its operators got a surprise treat: a weird rock "materialized" right in front of the rover's wheels.

The image on the left was taken by the rover's panoramic camera on the 3528th sol, or Martian day, of the mission. The image on the right is of the same spot 12 days later. It shows an additional rock about the size of a doughnut that seems to have appeared out of the blue.” http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24898-h...

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#207265 Jan 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<The Dave Nelson> "...Today, I will reveal that I am a NECROMANCER!... BWHAHAHHAHH! "
Dumb ass. I'm geomancy oriented, not a necromancer.

There's a difference.

Any conversations I had with the dead were one way.

You are probably much more into that than myself.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#207266 Jan 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The concept of Being appears in the present system in three places: in the doctrine of God, where God is called the being as being or the ground and the power of being; in the doctrine of man, where the distinction is carried through between man's essential and his existential being; and finally, in the doctrine of the Christ, where he is called the manifestation of the New Being, the actualization of which is the work of the divine Spirit.
-Tillich, Systematic Theology Vol. 2, p.10
Yawn.

Sorry, but if you have to water your God down until He is nothing more that the First Cause and nothing else...why bother with the worship?

And the rest of what you said. Nothing more than theological word salad. Rather than talking in plain, understandable terms, the theologians make it sound all mystical and mysterious...most likely on purpose.

Apologetics really does bore me. It is so lame.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

San Francisco

#207267 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You made quite an assumption and assertion there.
Eve had no way to discern between the serpent and God?
Uh, wilderide, whose Garden was it?
Who said don't eat it?
Don't forget the serpent was subservient to Adam and Eve in the hierarchy established by God in that locale. In fact, Adam and Eve were the designated caretakers of the place.
So, if you Daddy says don't stick the fork in the outlet and your little brother, or the family dog, says it is OK, go ahead, it will be Daddy's fault?
You have some strange perceptions of maturity and responsibilities.
Well, obviously she did not know who to believe or else she would not have eaten the apple, would she?

La Veta, CO

#207268 Jan 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you can recruit your minions in the classified section of a local Colorado newspaper?
You are running a little incoherent today.

Been outside without a hat? You have to watch that cold.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#207269 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Very weak response.
You don't know if "gravity"exists, either. Something makes you stick to the chair, though.
And after Thousands of years of arguments the consensus is one does exists. It even made "gravity".
I know that something makes me stick in the chair. We have decided to call that thing gravity.

What comparable evidence do you have for a god?

San Francisco

#207270 Jan 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, no.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#207271 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh.

Jerry is on TV and I am here.

Come on, it's showing your rack time to impress us. You are due for the tit showing.

We've seen enough ass from you.

:-)
***oh great, another dirty old christian man that wants to see me naked***

Location hidden

#207272 Jan 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Methinks you need to walk a bit further yet. Just sayin.

Is being civil really that hard for you?
Yes. He cannot do it and will attack anyone who dares to disagree with him.

San Francisco

#207273 Jan 24, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What the?
You say Eve did not know right from wrong and good from bad.
But the apple looked good....
You need to rethink your position.
Well RR, you are confusing two different definitions of the word "good". In the first sentence it refers to a moral judgement, in the second it refers to desirability.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#207274 Jan 24, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing evil meant knowing the consequence of evil experientialy.
They did not have that knowledge before, but they understood the concept of wrong which is clear in eves discussion with satan.
Your argument seeks to make Eve the unwitting victim and God the cruel overlord, but that is something you bring to the text and read into it.
But a phrase often used to describe Adam and Eve before the Fall is that they were like babes. And you don't hand out strict punishment to babes, because they don't know what is right or wrong.

But this God of yours smacked them down...hard.

As for your last sentence...precisely. Eve was an unwitting victim. At the time of the "crime" she didn't know any better. And God delivered a smack-down anyway. So, yes, he was the cruel overlord.

The only reason you interpret it differently is that is how you have always been taught to read it, and you have been taught never to question it. Sad, really.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#207275 Jan 24, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb ass. I'm geomancy oriented, not a necromancer.
There's a difference.
Any conversations I had with the dead were one way.
You are probably much more into that than myself.
Geomancy...

Make sure you're wearing your aluminum foil water wings before casting the stones.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#207276 Jan 24, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Bullshit doesn't want to be nailed down. It wants wiggle room, which is why it speaks in poetry. Bullshit knows that if it made a clear and specific claim, that could be falsified, people would have a very good indication if it was true or not. Bullshit also wants to have broad appeal, so it speaks in a sort of generic way to allow people to accept Bullshit by name, even if the details of Bullshit that each individual believes are slightly different, which doesn't matter to Bullshit. He just wants his name tattooed on your ass.

Science loves falsification. If Science is wrong, it wants you to know as soon as possible. Science asks you to believe for good reasons, because what Science has to say about the world we live in is important. If Science gets something wrong, people might act with good intentions and still screw up everything. That's why Science likes the scientific method. Where Bullshit asks you to believe something on faith, Science asks you to be skeptical. Science wants you to run him through a process designed to determine what is most likely true, whether that is something we like or not. Science expects you to modify your beliefs about him as you become better at determining what's most likely true.

Science wants to be your tool. Bullshit wants you to be his tool. Those who have chosen to rely on rational skepticism and the scientific method have realized this.
LOL. A great post - a great message skillfully delivered.

San Francisco

#207277 Jan 24, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
The Mars Rover found something very interesting the other day. A jelly filled donut “rock” just materialized. The camera had taken a picture of that area before and there was no jelly donut. And 12 days later, there it was.
NASA is wondering how did this happen? They have some ideas but there’re not really positive. I think God is having some fun with NASA.
“After a decade on the Martian surface, you might think that NASA's Opportunity rover has seen it all. But just before the 10th anniversary of the rover's landing, its operators got a surprise treat: a weird rock "materialized" right in front of the rover's wheels.
The image on the left was taken by the rover's panoramic camera on the 3528th sol, or Martian day, of the mission. The image on the right is of the same spot 12 days later. It shows an additional rock about the size of a doughnut that seems to have appeared out of the blue.” http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24898-h...
Obviously this was a demonstration of power by the god Bethel. Don't look for evidence, just have faith!

Location hidden

#207278 Jan 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Is his vehement hate worse than your vehement hate?
Of course, christian hate is always acceptable to christians.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#207279 Jan 24, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Excellent, Tide..
I agree. Tide is growing before our eyes.
Catcher1 wrote:
But remember, RR truly believes that his god touched him. That type of person is immune to reason.
I heard Sam Harris utter these words today on YouTube:

"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"

La Veta, CO

#207280 Jan 24, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. The term thought exercise intimidated you.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#207281 Jan 24, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, obviously she did not know who to believe or else she would not have eaten the apple, would she?
Of course she would. Just like the kid sticks the fork in the socket. It's called disobedience. It can be called rebellion.

What it cannot be called is what you are calling it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Seentheotherside 688,772
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 29 min oneear69 121,925
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 41 min Scientistalways 37,083
___End Time ISRAEL -- 2017 FOREWARNINGS___ 44 min oneear69 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 59 min oneear69 988,525
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Tony 6,548
672,000 gallons of oil spilled off Louisiana co... 7 hr Freakenstein 2
More from around the web