Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#206958 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
An hour and seventeen minutes of windbaggery?
Nah...
Oh, I'm sorry. Would you rather watch a Bible College Apologist fumble through an hour long argument that hinges on logical fallacies?

Here's the link again. Will you watch it, or not? Will it be an act of free will, or the inevitable result of causality.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#206959 Jan 23, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You took his post out of context of the full conversation to make it look like he asked you to give the definition of add.-He obviously wanted you to clarify exactly what you wanted him to address based on your post
NASL said
"An example of how so-called "Christians" douoble-talk to others, hoping that they will drop the conversation.
A notable tactic that is ever present on many of these forums.
Honest people would have explained their stance, unless they are afraid to admit that honesty openly.
RR - well? Do you have something to add?"
Your post just ripped on Christians and then asked him if he had something to add. Obviously he wasn't going to add to that so he wanted to know what you were asking him
Then maybe he should have been a little more clear in his request.

Since he wasn't I played an "RR" on him. "'Besides, I'm very open in my posts Skom - you know that - as does he. If he doesn't like my directness, maybe he should be responding to me.

I've always stated - you make an unfounded claim, I'm gonna call you out on it and ask you to support it. It is by far from any count in that I've yet to see my questions answered with honesty. It is always a diversion from answering because the semantics show that the so-called "Christian" proves to him/herself that they have failed to meet that quality and I just pointed it out.

It is consistent on Topix - as I have been in numerous forums and on Topix for quite some time now.

Why would you even care? Do you think you will be honest with me. Can you please show me where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not, so that I can believe "God" and not some fallible men?

What about all these "Paul" texts? Why so many of "his gospel" and not more from Jesus.

You see,this is the ruse - you are to think "Paul" is more enlightened, otherwise as a member of the so-called "Church" you should have a say in what your "Church" teaches, right?

But I regress, you can't have a say, so you have to believe what men tell you.

Now Skom - prove that anything I've said is incorrect.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#206960 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hit women or babies.
I called three black kids monkeys, because they were acting like animals.
I don't demean homosexuals.
Demeaning women is fun and everyone laughs.
Not assaults, counselor. Assault. And it wasn't deadly as you cannot kill a car.

I'm a Christian.

Don't be jealous that I have the balls to speak my mind.
That is just pure gold.

Thank you for representing your cult so publicly and so well, we really appreciate it.

Location hidden

#206961 Jan 23, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
It aint necessarily so wrote:
It was excellent. Here are some representative excerpts:
“If you pay attention to how thoughts and intentions arise and how decisions get made moment to moment, I think you can see that there’s no evidence for free will, that actually our experience in life is compatible with the truth of determinism.”
“Where is the freedom in doing what one wants when one’s wants are the product of prior causes which one cannot inspect and therefore could not choose and one had absolutely no hand in creating? From my point of view compatibilism is essentially the dictum that a puppet is free as long as it loves its strings.”
“The truth is we feel and presume an authorship over our own thoughts and actions that is illusory. How can we be free as conscious agents if everything we consciously intend was caused by events in our brain which we did not intend and over which we had no control?”
I've come to think of free will as a mirage also. It seems like something is there, but when you get in closer to inspect where you thought free will should be, it isn't. Whenever you get in close to investigate, all you see are deterministic mechanisms.

I would challenge anyone that believes in free will to describe it in a way that is incompatible with determinism. I'd like to see something explanatory with details.

To me, compatibilism is just wordplay. I don't think it relates to the illusion of free will that I think most of us have.

What I've been contemplating lately is the source of the illusion. Is this something that we absorb from culture, or is it a fact of human biology?

Location hidden

#206962 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. In order to prove that there is sin, first you have to prove these in order:

1. That there's a god, using evidence which is testable and objectively verifiable.
2. That this god is interested in what humans do.
3. That the ideology you attribute to this god is the correct one.
4. That this deity created a concept called "sin".

Start with #1, and good luck. Be objective. Use empirical evidence, not ontological arguments.
Don't hold your breath.

Location hidden

#206963 Jan 23, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I know, you choose to be an addict.
Yep all smokers do.

Location hidden

#206964 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh.
So dreams don't happen?
Black holes don't exist?
Dark matter is a myth?
Ok.
Is this leading to "Prove you have hands. Go."?

Location hidden

#206965 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>Well, if you find Yahweh distasteful, how about praying to one you like better? The Flying Spaghetti Monster is pretty cool. Beer volcanoes and all the carbs you can eat!
Don't forget the meat ball eyes and delicious noodles!

My favourite deity by far.

* I know scar, Pangu! made the lesser FSM, praise him also, dead as he is.*

Location hidden

#206966 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>We've all sinned, dear lass.

[QUOTE] The men who sell sperm are kinda funny too. Is that considered extra-marital sex?"

Only if he cuddles with the cup...
There no sin 'til you prove your god.

Go.

Location hidden

#206967 Jan 23, 2014
wilderide wrote:
What is "Darwinism"? A belief that Darwin existed?
As for the Catholic church, they do accept and teach (in their schools) the fact of evolution of species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_...
As with most religions, acceptance of reality took awhile, but they eventually accepted it.
Darwin invented evolution in his lab, but it broke out and started to infect all of God's Creation, so now animals evolve.

Location hidden

#206968 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I know.

[QUOTE] No, if you read the article, it describes the direct evidence they now have for dark matter."

I did read the article. It talked about some cosmologists looking at another galaxy through Hubble and seeing a "wake" in another galaxy.

They never witnessed dark matter. No one has.

They only believed that what they were seeing what the effects of dark matter.

"It MUST be so!"
You did not read the article.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#206969 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm sorry. Would you rather watch a Bible College Apologist fumble through an hour long argument that hinges on logical fallacies?
Here's the link again. Will you watch it, or not? Will it be an act of free will, or the inevitable result of causality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pCofmZlC72gXX
Fat chance.

RR has the attention span of a gnat.

Location hidden

#206970 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're the "University" educated purfesir that thinks his DNA and his daughter's DNA are identical...

Thanks for proving that you love Satan.
lol

Location hidden

#206971 Jan 23, 2014
scaritual wrote:
lmfao

Location hidden

#206972 Jan 23, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He actually gave you the benefit of the doubt that today wasn't representative of your regular level of stupidity.

Besides I thought you are against Christianity? But you are now going to complain someone isn't following the teachings of the faith?

I think RR was being generous personally
Yeah, he's not as vicious as you and is slightly more intelligent.

You represent your cult very well too though so don't go getting jealous and start crying.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#206973 Jan 23, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Then maybe he should have been a little more clear in his request.
Since he wasn't I played an "RR" on him. "'Besides, I'm very open in my posts Skom - you know that - as does he. If he doesn't like my directness, maybe he should be responding to me.
I've always stated - you make an unfounded claim, I'm gonna call you out on it and ask you to support it. It is by far from any count in that I've yet to see my questions answered with honesty. It is always a diversion from answering because the semantics show that the so-called "Christian" proves to him/herself that they have failed to meet that quality and I just pointed it out.
It is consistent on Topix - as I have been in numerous forums and on Topix for quite some time now.
Why would you even care? Do you think you will be honest with me. Can you please show me where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not, so that I can believe "God" and not some fallible men?
What about all these "Paul" texts? Why so many of "his gospel" and not more from Jesus.
You see,this is the ruse - you are to think "Paul" is more enlightened, otherwise as a member of the so-called "Church" you should have a say in what your "Church" teaches, right?
But I regress, you can't have a say, so you have to believe what men tell you.
Now Skom - prove that anything I've said is incorrect.
I got bored halfway thru and started skimming. It did end with a chuckle when I saw the word 'prove'. Either anonymous strangers on the Internet mean way more to you then me or you think they do to me

And you couldn't be more wrong about what my church teaches or how I view Paul

Have you ever spent any time realizing just how ludicrous it is for a guy that makes up his own personal religion in his head to think he is in sine position to look down on the faith of others?

Hey my new religion is I can destroy souls by saying "snuffaluffagus" Gee, sooty about that NASL, you have no souk any more. It's alright though. Your made up religion is stupid while my new made-up religion is awesome! I think I will dedicate my Topix life to going around and telling people that my religion is better than theirs. It won't cramp your style if we both are doing it will it?

The most unreasonable Topix atheist troll actually has abetted reason then you do for going around Topix criticizing what other people believe. I don't know if you needed more hugs growing up or what but I will no longer be addressing insecurities in the form of religious attacks. If adults want to have an adult discussion that serves a purpose that is different

Location hidden

#206974 Jan 23, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>That is very beautiful and inspiring. I feel like dancing.
http://youtu.be/4yAkkpbm_8E

Location hidden

#206975 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, he's not as vicious as you and is slightly more intelligent.
You represent your cult very well too though so don't go getting jealous and start crying.
You aren't smart enough to play this game

Your material is embarrassingly bad

It makes me feel like patting you on the head while shaking mine

:)

P.S.

Don't whine about me being vicious after calling me a chickenshit for refusing to fight with you.

Location hidden

#206976 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
There no sin 'til you prove your god.
Go.
Say something you haven't parroted from someone else

Go

Out if curiosity, did sin exist when you were claiming to be a Christian?

LOL, I almost said "you didn't think about that did you?"

But of course you didn't

Silly me

;)

Location hidden

#206977 Jan 23, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Well I suppose if someone has their mind made up to demonized everything about the Bible, even Christ's teachings, then they may claim its bullshit and imply someone is taking liberties with the definition
But if someone is willing to look at it objectively they can read Matthew 25:40-48 and see it is pretty straight forward. Whatever we don't do for the least of those we don't do for Jesus. If Jesus is our foundation and we do what is taught that entails there really is no basis for criticism. Jesus being the priority in out lives means obeying His teachings
But however you want to characterize it is up to you. That is exactly what is said however
I understand that you have a subjective interpretation of the Bible that you believe is true. Someone else could read the same words and come to completely different conclusions, using the same methodologies that you are using.

That supports my argument.

I'll take this opportunity to expand. Poetry and faith act as great insulators for bullshit. I'm going to use a little bit of poetry to make my point. I'm going to give bullshit and science some personality.

Bullshit doesn't want to be nailed down. It wants wiggle room, which is why it speaks in poetry. Bullshit knows that if it made a clear and specific claim, that could be falsified, people would have a very good indication if it was true or not. Bullshit also wants to have broad appeal, so it speaks in a sort of generic way to allow people to accept Bullshit by name, even if the details of Bullshit that each individual believes are slightly different, which doesn't matter to Bullshit. He just wants his name tattooed on your ass.

Science loves falsification. If Science is wrong, it wants you to know as soon as possible. Science asks you to believe for good reasons, because what Science has to say about the world we live in is important. If Science gets something wrong, people might act with good intentions and still screw up everything. That's why Science likes the scientific method. Where Bullshit asks you to believe something on faith, Science asks you to be skeptical. Science wants you to run him through a process designed to determine what is most likely true, whether that is something we like or not. Science expects you to modify your beliefs about him as you become better at determining what's most likely true.

Science wants to be your tool. Bullshit wants you to be his tool. Those who have chosen to rely on rational skepticism and the scientific method have realized this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min NutSoDivineMsM 36,655
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 29 min kent 688,626
Why is Mahattan Johnny a gay trucker 41 min Paul McCartney is... 10
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 42 min Aerobatty 988,427
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 1 hr USaWarStateMakeWO... 7
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr sphincterednecks 6,544
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 hr scientistsknowrea... 619,810
More from around the web