Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206692 Jan 23, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
I think you are not taking into consideration what it means to put God first. Jesus teaches in at thee 25 to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, take care of the sick etc and says what we don't do for the least of those we didn't do for him. So putting God first also means caring for all those in need. He also teaches for us to remain in His love by following His teachings which include love thy neighbor, enemy, and brother
Do you think others might disagree with your interpretation of what it means to put God first? If so, how do you determine who is right other than each of you saying that he or she is?

If I wanted to agree with you, I would say that you are correct. If I wanted to disagree with you, I would cite Matthew 22:36-39:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied:“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

I would argue that it is clear here that loving your neighbor is not included in the exhortation to love God, which his why it had to be added separately. I would say that this was clear evidence that loving God is distinct from loving one another, and of the two, less important.

You might tell me I'm misunderstanding, and go find a few more scriptures that say or seem to say otherwise, and I could tell you why you are taking them out of context, misunderstanding mistranslated words, or why they no longer apply.

A third person watching might conclude that we simply had two different personalities directing us in picking our preferred scriptures and assigning them our preferred meanings. He might conclude that you have more empathy social conscience than I have, and that I was more into looking upward than outward. I might say that I pray for those people and let God choose how and when to bless them. If I were very selfish or outright antisocial, I'd be telling you that what happens on earth doesn't matter - the ones that would eventually be cast into the fire don't deserve our sacrifices, and the rest don't need them..
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206693 Jan 23, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Bongo, you know nothing of the reasons I gave up religion. You pretend to know in just the same way you pretend to know your god exists. But that is all it is. Pretend. But you have convinced yourself that it is otherwise.
BTW...why do you worship your god and not the gods and goddesses of Hinduism?
BTW..."so have many others"...that type of argument is known as argumentum ad populum (argument from the people), and is a logical fallacy.
How do you have any dignity left after Buck has cogently repudiated you 6 ways till sunday.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#206694 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Bongo wrote:
Tell me how your ass is designed for intercourse.

There's that loss of morality....
So according to you, a fictional 'god' created humans, right?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206695 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Another predominantly christian region.
<quoted text>
The HIV/AIDS Pandemic
The prevalence of HIV/AIDS in Central America and the Caribbean is second only to that of Sub-Saharan Africa. The available data suggest that there have been a relatively greater number of cases in selected Caribbean countries than in Central American countries (Table 11), although prevalence rates vary greatly among countries. Belize, Honduras, Panama and Guatemala have the highest rates in Central America while countries such as Haiti, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic and Trinidad and Tobago have some of the highest rates in the Caribbean. The variable patterns of HIV/AIDS prevalence observed across the region are likely to be a function of variations in sexual behaviour. In Central America and the Caribbean, patterns of sexual behaviour include early initiation of sexual activity, the cultural acceptability of multiple partners especially for males and low levels of condom use, all of which expose sexually active residents to higher risks of exposure to HIV/AIDS.
During the 1990s, Honduras, for example, accounted for about 57 per cent of the HIV/AIDS cases diagnosed in Central America despite having only 17 per cent of the Sub-Region’s population. In Honduras, levels of HIV seroprevalence among sex workers were as high as 40 per cent as opposed to 11 per cent in the Dominican Republic (AIDSCAP/Harvard School of Public Health/UNAIDS, 1996). Haiti is recognized as a place where the epidemic has attained maturity and where prevalence has been particularly high among sex workers. In the Anglophone Caribbean, HIV/AIDS is spread primarily through heterosexual contact with phenomenal increases in prevalence being registered among persons aged 15-44 years and in particular among females aged 15-19 years. Sentinel surveillance data point towards increasing HIV/AIDS prevalence among pregnant women, sex workers and migrant farm workers in some Caribbean countries.
<quoted text>
http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/family/Publicati...
An interesting read, so far I have not come across anything other than a couple of apologist opinions, that conclusively refutes the obvious connection of christianity, to steadily climbing, higher instances of the AIDS virus being contracted.
Are you saying that Catholics are predominantly homosexuals or saying that Blacks and Latinos are mostly homosexuals ?

Sounds a bit racist.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206696 Jan 23, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Let me know what you think. I haven't seen anyone else comment, except for Buck, who had some well supported and reasonable objections, as always.
This is Sam Harris talking about a scientific understanding of morality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =eeJrcVhtzYoXX
An hour and seventeen minutes of windbaggery?

Nah...

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#206697 Jan 23, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
None of those links say the church or the Vatican accepts Darwinism.
This is from the link you provided:
"But the Church’s unique take on the theory, what it calls theistic evolution, still shows that Catholics have largely missed the point."
That's not Darwinism.
Chrissy says, "the entire Catholic church accepts Darwinism"
The author of the Roman Catholic Catechism says, "...Darwinism is incompatible with the Catholic faith."
Wonder which one is correct?
This is also from one of those links

Vatican backs Darwin, dumps creationism

There you go line one of your post disproved

This is from the other link, the entire paragraph that for some reason you have chosen you omit most of

“Does the new Pope believe in evolution?”
“The answer is actually yes. And in fact, the Roman Catholic Church has recognized Darwinian evolution for the past 60 years. It openly rejects Intelligent Design and Young Earth Creationism saying that it "pretends to be science." But the Church’s unique take on the theory, what it calls theistic evolution, still shows that Catholics have largely missed the point.”

Notice the words in that paragraph that you so bravely omitted

“the Roman Catholic Church has recognized Darwinian evolution for the past 60 years. It openly rejects Intelligent Design and Young Earth Creationism saying that it "pretends to be science."

Why do you cherry pick when you know the facts are so easy to see. It just makes you look stupid and I know that as a human you can be better than that.

As for which is correct, I had assumed (not sure so perhaps wrongly) that the pope was the head on the RC church and not some journalist.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206698 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Awwww what an adorable display of christian love, the two envious failures are forming a racist alliance.
RiversideRedneck wrote:

HA HA!!

Ya, we're being racist against lawyers...

o.O
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I don't expect you to understand your own country's history.
Yup.

It's American history to be racist against lawyers.

Derpy derpy derp

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#206699 Jan 23, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
So according to you, a fictional 'god' created humans, right?
Wrong.

“Be strong ...”

#206700 Jan 23, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what you claimed.
You claimed they accepted Darwinism.
From the author of the Catholic Catechism:
"Schonborn said, that the 'defenders of neo-Darwinian dogma have often invoked the supposed acceptance - or at least acquiescence - of the Roman Catholic Church when they defend their theory as somehow compatible with Christian faith.'
“This,” the Cardinal says bluntly,“is not true.”
http://www.tldm.org/News8/evolution.htm
"Schonborn unequivocally establishes that the Catholic Church does not endorse Darwinism."
Cardinal/journalist or Pope

I wonder who has most influence?

“Be strong ...”

#206701 Jan 23, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That was not your claim.
Your claim was the acceptance of Darwinism. Darwinism incorporates materialist philosophy.
The cardinal, Christoph Schönborn, archbishop of Vienna, a theologian who is close to Pope Benedict XVI, staked out his position in an Op-Ed article in The New York Times on Thursday, writing, "Evolution in the sense of common ancestry might be true, but evolution in the neo-Darwinian sense - an unguided, unplanned process of random variation and natural selection - is not."
Unless the Archbishop is not a part of the "entire Catholic church", your statement is false.
I see you have added your own pedantic twist to what I actually said so as to tilt things in your favour, as is typical buck.

Good look with that deception.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#206702 Jan 23, 2014
The two principles Darwin called "Natural Selection."

1. Organisms are shaped by their environment, and vice versa.

Examples.
"If you can't reach the food anymore your DNA will become extinct."
"If it becomes to wet, dry, hot, cold for you to live, your DNA will become extinct."

2, Organisms are shaped by sexual selection.

"If you don't reproduce, your DNA will become extinct."

Those are what we call FACTS.
So, all you religitards, how is Darwin wrong ?

“Be strong ...”

#206703 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what the guy Andy says.
Where's Andy's proof?
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/en...

You want to argue with the Vatican then feel free...

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206704 Jan 23, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How do you have any dignity left after Buck has cogently repudiated you 6 ways till sunday.
Because Buck doesn't know what he is talking about.

There is a big difference between wanting something to be true and something being true. Buck has not learned this yet...and probably never will.

And I can tell by your Buck wannabe position, that you don't understand it either. It seems to be what drives your religious zeal, thinking that what you want to be true is in fact true.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206705 Jan 23, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How do you have any dignity left after Buck has cogently repudiated you 6 ways till sunday.
Keep it up. You're becoming almost as amusing as Buck.

“Be strong ...”

#206706 Jan 23, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I grow on people.
You mean like foot fungus

Or cancer?

“Be strong ...”

#206707 Jan 23, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
The Vatican, in a politically correct way, is basically saying the Protestant Literalists, Fundamentalists and Creationists are ignorant, uneducated, backwards morons..... The Vatican is quite correct on that.
Thank you and though I am loath to agree with the Vatican I believe they are correct in implying that creatards are retard

“Be strong ...”

#206708 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving you love Satan.
"I love Satan." -Ben
So funny how you believe people who don’t agree whole heatedly with you must by default love satan?

You seem to show the same ignorance regarding the beliefs of atheists.

I wonder where you were educated (and I use the word in the broadest possible sense) in such stupidity?

Honey, you need to realise that people who have no tolerance for the stupidity of the goddidit by magic idea also are not unduly upset by threats of a mythical hate figure.

“Be strong ...”

#206709 Jan 23, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I think of him as 'Buckwheat'?
I think of him as Butt Crack

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#206710 Jan 23, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote, "
HA HA!!

Ya, we're being racist against lawyers...

o.O
"

Divinity Surgeon wrote, "
I don't expect you to understand your own country's history. "

Yup.

It's American history to be racist against lawyers.

Derpy derpy derp
So lawyers were hung from trees in America? "Teach" me.

“Be strong ...”

#206711 Jan 23, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep it up. You're becoming almost as amusing as Buck.
I’m glad you said almost

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 37 min RW lies and malfe... 88,118
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr science is god 996,502
loan shark needed asap (Mar '09) 2 hr Steve Carl 20
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr Tony 6,921
How many MILLIONS of MEXICAN MEN R N in U.S. IL... 3 hr Mr magoo goo guy... 32
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr The AnswerTo 1984... 703,712
Is a career in web development rewarding? 4 hr keith29 1