Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258040 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#206506 Jan 22, 2014
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. I said "in regards to her".
Clearwater can't seperate himself from his victim status long enough to read
what I actually wrote.
Honestly, I've been speaking out about the way this fella uses his wife as
a human shield to make some sorted point against homosexuality for almost 5 years.
I'll never forget the first time I read his nonsense.. This is where I first started
wondering who these peeps ,here on topx, truly call their god..
And as I've read and learned more of these topix proclaimer s of Christianity
-it's been a slippery slope from there.
I know what you wrote. We are one in the Lord. Thanks for your concern but I will pass on your advise Le Le.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#206507 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>No it certainly isn't. In fact, I highly recommend anyone really read the Bible (especially the OT) and understand it. The Bible is, ironically, one of the best ways to vaccinate oneself against all of the Abrahamic religions.

One of the reasons I've studied the Bible so much is that I find it fascinating that so many people accept the Bible as a moral guide, when it clearly isn't. I used to be a born-again Christian myself, but I accepted the religion before I read the Bible (I was indoctrinated by friends, and also I have always been curious about religion). It was my study of the Bible that led me out of Christianity. That, and an embrace of critical thinking.
That sounds familiar, with me it was the ex in laws. I grew up catholic though and got plenty of detention for questioning the bible.

I never read it independently, only with adults as a child. Then, in the past few years I went to adult bible study and read it, thought wtf? Read it again. I read it a few times, was asked to leave a couple of churches for asking questions, even in bible study questions had to be in accordance to certain guidelines I wasn't aware of.

I agree, best vaccination.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#206508 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>There it is.

It's hard to find reasonable people when discussing the Bible, especially anti-Christians (the Topix Atheist!).

They've got their minds made up on what they think it says. Any deviance to that thought process might undermine their supposed non-beliefs.
"What they think it says."

Wow your jokes are hilarious today.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206509 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are amoral; you worship something simply because it is powerful, not because it is otherwise worthy of worship.
WRONG, THATS THE PROBLEM DISSENTERS LIKE YOU FACE.. I love the lord, because he first loved me. He shows me grace and sent his son as a sacrifice for me. Gave me my wife and kids. What a great God.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206510 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Experience and experiment (empiricism) can be a path to knowledge. If every time I heat ice to 32°F it melts, I know something. Conflicting ideas cannot be supported by evidence.

Pure reason (rationalism) can be a path to knowledge. It tells us that 7+4=11, and unless we redefine what those symbols mean, no opposite opinion can be supported by reason.

But faith (fideism) can't possibly be a path to truth or knowledge since any position and its opposite can be held by faith.
Buck Crick wrote:
Are there questions you cannot determine by reason?
Yes.
Buck Crick wrote:
For some questions, aren't there a plurality of different answers that might be apparently justified by reason? If that is the case, then reason alone cannot answer every question, and cannot always tell us the correct or the most reasonable alternative, something else must be relied upon. What then?
Some things may be unknowable, or perhaps only partial knowledge is available - what is probable. Whatever the limits of reason and evidence, faith has nothing to offer that a guess doesn't. I can't know the outcome of the next flip of a fair coin except as partial knowledge. It will be heads or tails, and there is a 50% chance of each.

Faith in the outcome that it will be heads for example adds no knowledge.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206511 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
atheism is skepticism ....
its also tendentiousness , faith in a supposition and replete with obstreperous prevaricating and pontificating shit.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206512 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, why don't you also worship all the other deities who created the universe and the Earth?
None other have succoured me. None other have a valid means of atonement. None other are alive.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#206513 Jan 22, 2014
Just Think wrote:
Haven't you people learned yet that Buck will split hairs into the infinite that he doesn't believe in so as to never have to admit he's wrong?
Many posters do that. I'm starting to think it's average American male behaviour. Few are honest.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#206514 Jan 22, 2014
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Atheists are Satan the devil's children.
Wrong! Actually dumb Soldiers are one works for evil ones(Corrupted /greedy in power!) are satan minions ! Not an athiest nor religious!

Former Pres. jimmy Carter pronounced US= Satan!

Read up! Bahhahaaaa

Former president Jimmy Carter:
(Freeing the World to Death, William Blum)

"
We sent Marines into Lebanon and you only have to go to Lebanon, to Syria or to Jordan to witness first-hand the intense hatred among many people for the United States because we bombed and shelled and unmercifully killed totally innocent villagers-women and children and farmers and housewives-in those villages around Beirut .... As a result of that ...we became kind of a Satan in the minds of those who are deeply resentful. That is what precipitated the taking of our hostages and that is what has precipitated some of the terrorist attacks.'
Banananana

Manassas, VA

#206515 Jan 22, 2014
Everyone is an atheist. Sure you may be a Theist of your own particular religion, no matter what it be but you are also an atheist as you reject each and every other religion.

You may be Hindu but you will be atheist towards every other religion and its deities.
You may be Christian but you will be atheist towards every other religion and its deities.
You may be Muslim but you will be atheist towards every other religion and its deities.
Etc.

Everyone views the situation from the stance that they are correct and their choices are correct. Ergo their religion must be the only true one as it was their choice, which in reality isn't always the case either as it is generally something that we are brought up in, as religion is quite culturally specific.

I suppose the only way you could TRULY choose a religion would be to read each and every text relating to each and every religion of which there are thousands. I mean there are still Odinists today which shows you the kind of span there is, I'd don't really know what it stands for but does sound cool. Odin, Thor, Frey and Freyja
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#206516 Jan 22, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was also very successful, with alot more "life experience" (whatever that means) and he sold over 10 million copies of Mein Kampf by the end of WW2.
why the strawman? or is it a non sequitur or a red herring?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#206517 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> WRONG, THATS THE PROBLEM DISSENTERS LIKE YOU FACE.. I love the lord, because he first loved me. He shows me grace and sent his son as a sacrifice for me. Gave me my wife and kids. What a great God.
Once again your selling yourself short.........

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#206518 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> its also tendentiousness , faith in a supposition and replete with obstreperous prevaricating and pontificating shit.
My thoughts exactly..........

I think..........

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#206520 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> WRONG, THATS THE PROBLEM DISSENTERS LIKE YOU FACE.. I love the lord, because he first loved me. He shows me grace and sent his son as a sacrifice for me. Gave me my wife and kids. What a great God.
So you don't care if this deity is responsible for genocide, infanticide, ethnic cleansing, condoning slavery, racism, and sexism, and ordering rape, as long as none of that touches you directly.

So it's not that you are amoral so much as you lack any compassion to a degree that would make a highly autistic person blush.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#206521 Jan 22, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Her addiction was out of sight. Shed be living in different towns with different guys. At the time I lived up north and out of the blue she called me. Thing is the day before her brother told me she might and to not give her any money, I never heard from her again. She pawed her sons crib at one point.
That was very catty of her.

San Francisco

#206522 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> its also tendentiousness , faith in a supposition and replete with obstreperous prevaricating and pontificating shit.
How is skepticism faith?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206523 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan is a fictional character in a book.
You are a proven moron. A typical Christ-stain.
Thanks for proving you don't know history.

San Francisco

#206524 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> None other have succoured me. None other have a valid means of atonement. None other are alive.
How do you know? You just picked the closest deity that is culturally familiar to you. Considering there are thousands upon thousands of others, the likelihood that you are guessing correctly is vanishingly small. Not to mention the odds that, even within Christianity, you also chose the right sect (of which there are around 41,000).

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206525 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your derision. You prefer to beat women.
You are a scumbag.
Thanks for proving you love scumbags.

"I love scumbags." -Ben

San Francisco

#206526 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> why the strawman? or is it a non sequitur or a red herring?
Merely pointing out that, again, education and income are not necessarily correlated to either a person's morals or how praiseworthy they are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min hojo 665,307
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min Aura Mytha 88,110
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 7 min USAUSAUSA 124
News Medicare looms over Trump-Ryan alliance 11 min Taco-smacko 2
The Future of Politics in America 13 min Buck Crick 222
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min New Age Spiritual... 977,292
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 17 min LAWEST100 184,720
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 30 min Buck Crick 551
More from around the web