Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#206296 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I've always been an avid student of Philosophy and History as well as a reluctant observer/participant of religion. I'm really getting into studying religion more, as time allows.
I hope you count your time here as part of your education. It's not formal education like a classroom is, but you can learn things here that you can't learn there about the effects of Christianity in particular and of faith based thinking in general on people.

I consider this more valuable, especially since we have many students of religion among the unbelievers here to supplement that with theology and church history. For example, by now, we all know about Paul, Josephus' accounts, and Constantine (church history), as well as the arguments for and against the creation story, the Flood, and lately Job (theology).
Bongo

Coram, NY

#206297 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with HipGnosis, who I believe is saying that the church's ability to help is severely limited by its doctrine, as the flippant comments about Job's children indicate. Riverside Redneck noted that they were in heaven, so what's the big deal?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Its limited, rightly so. Even a pastor is told to give a person over to their sin , if they refuse to receive admonishment. Jobs kids may not have gone to heaven. Jobs constant worry and praying for them suggests they were involved in lifestyle not approved of by God. God had no problem killing all flesh in the flood because of the way man turned out. Hes not going to have that problem again either saying, the next time its going to be by fire.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#206298 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot. The Catholic church, in some quarters, accepts certain aspects of evolution.
They do not accept Darwinism.
I supplied you with air-tight proof of that. Not doing it again.
Just live stupid.
No you have not supplied me with anything however I have supplied you with several links (including a papal edict)

But hey, buck and his buddies donít agree with the Vatican over the catholic faith so lets all assume itís the Vatican is wrong and buck is right Ė OK

#206299 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't worry too much, if one goes by their myth, there won't be any christians in heaven.
LOL, yes very true,

But then again, what heaven?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#206300 Jan 22, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Of course it can, because it's not a static document. Justice Marshall established that in the very beginning with Marbury v Madison (as I recall).
Do we still count certain property as 3/5 of a man for representative purposes? It was a necessary compromise at the time, unthinkable now. The Constitution and the Court reflected both views, and were legally "right" both times.
It was >>designed<< to be dynamic and flexible. That's the genius of it. That's why it has lasted through crises that collapsed nations under more rigid documents. That's why it has endured through social and political changes impossible to imagine by the founders. That's why it's basic structure formed the foundation for many new Constitutions since.
Times change. People change, Perspectives change. The Constitution is dynamic enough to absorb them all, and that wasn't by luck.
I see. The 'dynamic document" argument.

Let's play poker, Gomphosis. The rules will be dynamic, and I'll determine them. How do you like your prospects of leaving with any money? Would you consent to those rules? No.

The problem, as you can see in this illustration, is that yours is a view where there are no rules, and there is no Constitution.

Times change, perspectives change. That's why the founders included the amendment process. That way, changes to the rules would be consented to by the people.

"Consent of the governed". Ever hear of that? The basis of the formation of this nation is that a human should not be ruled without his consent.

And you are trying to tell me that they set up a system which intended for the Supreme Court to do exactly that - change rules without the people's consent.

It doesn't work with me. Peddle it in the ranks of the ignorant.

#206301 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You made the claim for "Darwinism", not evolution.
And you said "the entire Catholic church" accepts it.
Both are lies.
Darwinism encompasses evolution, it may be a century or so out of date but it was a damn good starter

By the entire Catholic church I did actually mean the church (Vatican) that dictates catholic dogma, not the throwbacks in the congregation who do not want to follow the doctrine of the Vatican. Sorry I should have explained that to you.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#206302 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
If by "support" you mean answer you because you demand it then you're right, I never did tell you if I would sue the school for money.
If you're still waiting for me to answer you, don't hold your breath.
You said you could, funny face. You wouldn't say why you could. Youre just another atheist prevaricator. Youre to insignificant to care about anything you do. Your life , as ive heard about it the last few years is a cookie cut example of failure.

#206303 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know.
Down goes the death penalty, up goes the murder rate.
California is a prime example of that.
Thatís progress for ya

Civilisation and human rights are wonderful things are they not?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#206304 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Says you.
But you also say that Jesus is a character of myth.
Yeah.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We see very differently on this.
Yeah.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't know and I don't care.
So Zeus and his kids might exist?

Is it more likely than not?

My point has to do with your standard of acceptance. I'm afraid you may not have one.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't go around arguing about things I don't believe in.
You never argue in opposition of any claim or belief?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You see, I'm not an atheist.
Nobody's perfect.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#206305 Jan 22, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe my former church cares if I live or die.
In fact, the majority would likely prefer I die.
I am certain they have taken pleasure in my suffering.
Well, I'm not dead, and they can kiss my big ass. Amen.
You are a rebellious guy.You have problems with authority, that's why you are cbeing controlled by force and and likely will be again in the future. If you ever found a church you liked, they wouldn't want you.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206306 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But it's funny that an "evidence-based rational skeptic" would believe in something like that...
Tide with Beach wrote:
Why is that funny?
Did you really just ask that?

You can't see the hypocrisy in a so-called rational skeptic believing in something without evidence?

Do you also believe in intuition?

Ghosts?

Aliens?

Just not the Christian God, right?

#206307 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's idiotic.
An atheist that believes in shit like destiny, aliens, ghosts, intuitions, etc is a hypocrite. They claim to only believe in what is factual and evidence based.
WTF has destiny, aliens, ghosts, intuitions, etc got to do with god?

They claim no such thing, you paint that tag on them, most probably because of poor education as to the meaning of the word. Something godbots always get wrong, the assumption seems to be is that atheist do not believe in god therefore godbots donít have belief. Itís total bullocks

I know some very clever and logical atheists and some real nut jobs, just like godbots really itís only the proportions that are different

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#206308 Jan 22, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you count your time here as part of your education. It's not formal education like a classroom is, but you can learn things here that you can't learn there about the effects of Christianity in particular and of faith based thinking in general on people.

I consider this more valuable, especially since we have many students of religion among the unbelievers here to supplement that with theology and church history. For example, by now, we all know about Paul, Josephus' accounts, and Constantine (church history), as well as the arguments for and against the creation story, the Flood, and lately Job (theology).
I do think of this place as a classroom sometimes, I also long for spit balls.

I've learnt much from my time here and will no doubt learn more. I'm very familiar with church history and am now interested in where the church recycled all the stories in their bible from.

However, that is secondary to public exposure and the vile Psychological effects the church has had on mankind as a whole.

I hope to contribute more, it took awhile to come back here once I fell off the fence so am working into it, whilst batting off locusts.

The church doesn't like 'deserters', I'm certainly learning that in abundance.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#206309 Jan 22, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Wrong.
That is what SOME denominations of Christianity teaches, not all.
"They aren't 'Real Christians'! " in 3... 2... 1...
So you can roll on the floor AND count to three?!

Impressive...

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#206310 Jan 22, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>LOL, yes very true,

But then again, what heaven?
Touché.

"Myth".

lol

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206311 Jan 22, 2014
Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Religion and the Universe

http://vimeo.com/84349929

Neil deGrasse Tyson is interviewed by Bill Moyers

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#206313 Jan 22, 2014
What Buck does is pathetic, but funny.

That Bongo tries to emulate him is just sad.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#206314 Jan 22, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>You said you could, funny face. You wouldn't say why you could. Youre just another atheist prevaricator. Youre to insignificant to care about anything you do. Your life , as ive heard about it the last few years is a cookie cut example of failure.
I did say why I could, I also said I wouldn't and that your question was irrelevant.

Ah, more loving christian gossip.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#206315 Jan 22, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
TA-DAAA!
I accept your concession.
This is called pretending.

It's one step removed from delusion.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#206316 Jan 22, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
The church doesn't like 'deserters', I'm certainly learning that in abundance.
You ran to them in crisis, they helped you and then you turned against them. You were warned to "count the price" . You reneged on the deal, now you are on your own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality isn't just 'sin'......it's AN ABO... 9 min Rosa 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Bongo 793,147
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 37 min Pegasus 267,248
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 1 hr Rathore 38,042
Does science disprove biblical teachings??? 1 hr Ninja of Reason 5
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 567,239
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr samanthar 97,403
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr lil whispers 607,025
More from around the web