Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 9,896)

Showing posts 197,901 - 197,920 of216,891
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like it from your information sources.
And to think it was in church when I was a kid, that I heard a sermon about divine retribution. About how HIV is the modern day "fire and brimstone."
Yeah, I've heard it said that it's almost as though the church might be planning yet another insidious genocide, I have to wonder myself, especially after reading all the information connecting AIDS to religion, especially christianity.

I'm compiling it all but did you know that our numbers for AIDS is very low now and that we are, according to the latest statistics, only 40% christian now?

Then you have Europe, where the numbers of HIV/AIDS sufferers have been steadily declining, what else has been steadily declining in European countries such as France, Netherlands and Sweden?

christianity has.

“Last rose of summer”

Since: Jun 13

The Coathanger

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother married a Swedish woman and moved there. He told that the Swedes tell Norwegian jokes.
True story, though.
Some time back, when I was posting regularly on the evolution threads, I was trying to explain that the DNA evidence linking T-Rex and chickens did not mean chickens were descended from T-Rex. It merely meant that they were related. Just as he and his uncle had similar DNA, but he was not descended from his uncle.
Now, keep in mind this creationist was from WVa.
His response..."How do you know I'm not descended from my uncle?"
And there you have it.
LOL. Curiouser and curiouser...

“Last rose of summer”

The Coathanger

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
The situation you present above has led to a lot of very unhappy relationships.
No arguments. I'm sure that Phyllis Gates Hudson would agree too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_marriag...
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-b...

“Last rose of summer”

The Coathanger

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've heard it said that it's almost as though the church might be planning yet another insidious genocide, I have to wonder myself, especially after reading all the information connecting AIDS to religion, especially christianity.
I'm compiling it all but did you know that our numbers for AIDS is very low now and that we are, according to the latest statistics, only 40% christian now?
Then you have Europe, where the numbers of HIV/AIDS sufferers have been steadily declining, what else has been steadily declining in European countries such as France, Netherlands and Sweden?
christianity has.
Good research.

I'm not sure about AIDS though. I've heard a few conspiracy theories about it by now.

Did you know that monkeys can die of a version of it? So can cats, including my beautiful Persian.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that if you held precisely the opposite opinion, that it would be difficult to support using the same book? I said earlier that the bible is something of a verbal Rorschach test. Each psyche gets to choose the set of scriptures it prefers to emphasize and those it prefers to call allegory, mistranslated, or old law.
Possibly, but even if that is the case, the evidence is sufficient to show Wilderide's condemnation erroneous.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

<quoted text>
I smell a book opportunity: Of Penguins and Prosperity: The Central Question of Financial Origins
Penguin Publishing might be interested.

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Good research.
I'm not sure about AIDS though. I've heard a few conspiracy theories about it by now.
Did you know that monkeys can die of a version of it? So can cats, including my beautiful Persian.
Yeah I read something about monkeys, briefly mind you but I didn't know about cats!

I had a gorgeous white Persian, she was the epitome of nonchalance and the toms on the block were terrified of her, funny as.

As far as conspiracy theories go, the AIDS epidemic concept doesn't appear to be as removed from reality as some others, so far anyway.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And there it is - translation to suit the translator.
The words are obviously a warning to those interested in getting into heaven. If worldly riches make it impossible to get into heaven, they're not merely worthless. They're dangerous.
It doesn't mention "heaven". It refers to the "Kingdom of God"

"the kingdom is inside of you", according to Jesus.

Jesus said, "When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

What is meant by the verse is this:

When you are rich, your focus tends to be on riches - an outward egoic trapping, and you fail to know yourself as the divine son of God. Awareness of the divine sonship is "entering the Kingdom". It is within.

That was the message of Jesus - to be later hijacked.

Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that.
Their god comes first, no matter what.
Family be damned.
Its true , how do you think trash like me escaped the ghetto , violence, drugs, alcohol and hate? To name just a few problems. I ascribe my notable achievements to God. My children are living proof too.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Penguin Publishing might be interested.
They are only interested in cuckold penguins

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
For Riverside Redneck:
Experience and experiment (empiricism) can be a path to knowledge. If every time I heat ice to 32F it melts, I know something. Conflicting ideas cannot be supported by evidence.
Pure reason (rationalism) can be a path to knowledge. It tells us that 7+4=11, and unless we redefine what those symbols mean, no opposite opinion can be supported by reason.
But faith (fideism) can't possibly be a path to truth or knowledge since any position and its opposite can be held by faith.
Are there questions you cannot determine by reason?

For some questions, aren't there a plurality of different answers that might be apparently justified by reason?

If that is the case, then reason alone cannot answer every question, and cannot always tell us the correct or the most reasonable alternative, something else must be relied upon.

What then?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
I would recommend that everyone watch this. It's a long video but it's worth spending the time on.
Sam Harris on Free Will:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Maybe some other time.

Sam Harris is a fool and a bigot.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tao is not conscious or sentient.
I love the way people pretend to be experts on things they know nothing about. Like Christians telling the Jews they don't know shit about Judaism.
After all, They did not recognize their own messiah. Even conspired to kill him. All foretold in scripture. imagine that? But , its a good thing. It cause us gentiles to be accepted, much much to their chagrin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
The key to becoming prosperous in the Christian prosperity movement is to become one the preachers that tells the flock to give him money so that they will be repaid by God.
It is a very short, but broad, pyramid scheme.
You are almost as well-versed on this subject as on American history.

Meaning - you know less than nothing about it.

Is the pyramid infinite?

Bwahahs.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
So then what did Jesus mean when he said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven?
Besides that we leave here naked, one guess would be that , in heaven, money cannot not be used for preference of having the better. There wont be any bribery etc etc etc

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it
And are the places whose message is "Don't do drugs" responsible for the spread of AIDS among IV users?
That is some brilliant logic you got there
Try personal responsibility for who is to blame for the spread of AIDS
Oh wait, I forgot, you don't do personal responsibility
You get their logic.

Additionally, the Catholic church causes AIDs deaths because it gives money for some assistance. But not the preferred type.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would an omniscient deity test? For that matter, why would a benevolent and omniscient deity play head games with the humans it supposedly loves so much?
As for the story of Job, when Satan killed his ten innocent children, how was that infanticide a "test"?
You really don't know how insignifigant we are. Satan and God used Job as a perhaps call it a wager. Death is not the end, its gain. Job was fully restore plus some. Remember too that Job, prior to his family being eradicated was always prating for them, suggesting they were involved in some unapproved lifestyle and behavior.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are almost as well-versed on this subject as on American history.
Meaning - you know less than nothing about it.
Is the pyramid infinite?
Bwahahs.
My gawd, Buck, you are sooooooooo stupid.

Please explain haw it ISN'T a pyramid scheme...with only two layers.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't mention "heaven". It refers to the "Kingdom of God"
"the kingdom is inside of you", according to Jesus.
Jesus said, "When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
What is meant by the verse is this:
When you are rich, your focus tends to be on riches - an outward egoic trapping, and you fail to know yourself as the divine son of God. Awareness of the divine sonship is "entering the Kingdom". It is within.
That was the message of Jesus - to be later hijacked.
So this is Buck's interpretation of a translation of a translation of a rewrite of a rewrite of a...

And I think you have completely missed IANS point that the Bible can be interpreted to say almost anything...depending on which verses and which translation you use.

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you should say that, I've been doing some research and the numbers don't agree with you.
Cool. Please share.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 197,901 - 197,920 of216,891
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

456 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Rosa_Winkel 680,134
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 19 min alisha24 249
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 23 min pusherman_ 596,526
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 25 min NUTS AMERICA 37,859
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 25 min Hitesrunprincess 52,509
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 26 min Uzi 109,567
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 46 min Chess Jurist 512,090
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr karl44 89,564
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 2 hr sakib 47
•••
•••
•••