Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239219 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#205259 Jan 20, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey look, no answer...
.. answers are unnecessary ..

.. you already have all the answers ..

With Established Harem

#205260 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>No River did when she lied and smeared someone saying I am married to a homosexual present tense.
.. Mrs. Clearwater enjoyed sexual relations with women. If nothing else, that makes her bisexual. Just ask Buck; he'll confirm it ..

.. any doomsday news for us today ??...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205261 Jan 20, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We had dinner Friday night with a gay couple, one of whom, Rich, alluded a couple of times to the fact that he thought he was straight for the first few decades of his life. He married and had children, then discovered his true nature. Now his ex-wife - a born again Christian - hates him and his kids don't speak to him. Rich has been in a stable relationship with Ernie since 1981.
Of course his ex-wife hates him, it's understandable. He went all gay on her. She knows him more intimately than you ever could. There's probably something deeper in her hatred of him, a deeper reason I mean.

I haven't spoken with my brother in about 7 years now, and I plan to never speak to him again. It isn't about homosexuality in this case and it surely isn't my Christianity. People have their reasons for disowning family.

With Established Harem

#205262 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>**PORTIONS SNIPPED**Assuming that you are talking about her homosexuality, your wife needs no forgiveness. But you do for the hatred you spread, and you need it from those that you harm. You're not getting it from me without a sincere apology and a change of behavior..
<quoted text>
How about you? Will you repent the evil you do in the name of faith, or continue doing it as before?
<quoted text>
Sure you do, and you speak for him, too, as you just did when you told us that he forgives your wife. What if she isn't forgiven? How would you know?
.. there it is. Finally ..

.. through the grace of God, a drugged-up lesbian became a good heterosexual Christian and was forgiven for her 'sins'..

.. and, the end of the world is just around the corner ..

With Established Harem

#205263 Jan 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Allowing the church to talk you into repressing who you are is not freedom, nor is it psychologically sound.
I feel sorry for your wife and find religiosity to be one of the highest forms of delusion, christianity being one of the most vile.
You are disgusting for going along with such a thing being done to another human.
.. through the divine grace of Sappho, you too can be saved, your heterosexual sins forgiven ..

With Established Harem

#205264 Jan 20, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Bilgewater has been flaunting this claim since topix began.
Odd thing is, back in the day, for a very brief period, he also spoke of his own "confusion". He quickly dropped that, and has relied on his non-present "wife" for testimony ever since. Of course he never does so in a spirit of joy, but only whips it out when he wants to "prove" that a "homo" can "choose".
In any case, there's three possibilities re: his wife's "rescue":
Either she dallied with another girl once, and thinks that makes her homosexual.
Or she is attracted to the fairer sex, and is now repressing her nature due to pious peer pressure.
Or she never was, but it makes wonderful "testimony" in Sunday morning witness. Anyone that has attended church regularly will be familiar with the reformed addict/atheist/criminal who testifies to the Lord "saving" them (and us) from themselves. It's a great attention grabber and the pew-warmers lap that stuff up.
.. there's one more option ..

.. Mr. Clearwater is full of s*it ..

With Established Harem

#205265 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The rapist commits the act, not the person being raped.
But Buck is right, you know. If the rapist forces sex on the same sex, that is a homosexual act.
.. this line of reasoning can inflict pain on a child. Do either of you get that ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#205266 Jan 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

The rapist commits the act, not the person being raped.
But Buck is right, you know. If the rapist forces sex on the same sex, that is a homosexual act.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. this line of reasoning can inflict pain on a child. Do either of you get that ??..
The truth? Ya, I know.

"So your daddy ran out on you and your mom. Don't be a pussy about it, kid."

The truth hurts sometimes.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#205267 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
We had dinner Friday night with a gay couple, one of whom, Rich, alluded a couple of times to the fact that he thought he was straight for the first few decades of his life. He married and had children, then discovered his true nature. Now his ex-wife - a born again Christian - hates him and his kids don't speak to him. Rich has been in a stable relationship with Ernie since 1981.
I ran into another gay friend, John, yesterday at the plaza selling his water colors. Both he and his helpmate Earl, who have been together since the late seventies, have been married and have children. They are luckier. Their kids don't despise them, although John's Christian sister won't speak to him.
It's absolutely horrible what the Christian culture does to these people. I find it unforgivable. It doesn't matter that you don't feel seething hatred for these people. You perpetuate it on behalf of your church.
<quoted text>
And there it is - delivered dispassionately and without any overt hatred.
You would understand if I noted that healthy infants arenít born drug addicts. or Christians, that addiction comes later in life after the individual is negatively influenced with drugs, and that in many cases itís the same with Christianity. If millions of people thought and spoke about you like that, you would be despised, possibly to the point that people that should love you would hate you for no other reason than being Christian.
I like my gay friends. If you demean them,you demean yourselves in my eyes.
Your ego is a manifestation to behold. It is everywhere. Bigger than the universe.

No wonder there is no room for a God in it.

Your gay friends wound up the way they are because of the gauntlet of life they have ran. They overcame and mellowed out. If there was not those inhibitions to their behavior they would not be the same as you know them.

Such things happen across a spectrum of inclinations and behaviors. Life shapes you. It can even deflate some egos and give the possessors wisdom.

There is some confusion on here about homosexuality. There are attempts to portray it as the same biological drive as heterosexuality, but that is impossible on the scale you see of it now. The whole cause and effect thing on the physical level precludes that. If you are a normal male or female evolution programmed you to respond to those chemicals. PERIOD. Any thing else is a mental process, an overriding of physical reality, and seeks a reason for its existence.

Homosexuality is a behavior, not a biological programming except in very, very rare cases. What exists now is a culture of indulging in that behavior caused by like minds gathering together for mental support, and like any other grouping of like thinking, will try to influence and recruit others to it.

Homosexuality used to be an individual quirk a person had to deal with and adjust to within the larger genetic whole. Now it is militarized. That is dangerous.

Homosexuality is a behavior. Being a homosexual is engaging in that behavior as part of a social networking as a result of that militarization in today's world. It is very, very rarely due to biological hardwiring issues. It is usually induced.

You can't condemn the individual because they are stumbling through life like all of us. But you can put limits on the expressions and proselytizing of that behavior. Simple fact, man was made to breed and carry on. He was designed that way by God and/or Darwin.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#205268 Jan 20, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you found your life on mere opinion?
she is not a christian

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#205269 Jan 20, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. there's one more option ..
.. Mr. Clearwater is full of s*it ..
Just ran across this recently...

Senate Bill 1062, pushed by the conservative advocacy group Center for Arizona Policy and introduced by Sen. Steve Yarbrough, R-Chandler, would allow individuals to use religious beliefs as a defense in a lawsuit filed by another individual.

Ö

Opponents say it could also protect a corporation that refused to hire anyone who wasnít Christian and could block members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community from access to nearly any business or service.

End quote

The article went on to say...

[Yarbrough] acknowledged to reporter Howard Fischer that his bill could be used to discriminate against not only gay people, but also unmarried women, or people with different religious beliefs, as examples. Itís possible that his bill could actually allow religion to be used to justify breaking nearly any law in Arizona.

End quote

Can you say "Christian privilege?"

If passed, it is my opinion that it would be struck down as unconstitutional (by the 14th Amendment if nothing else) in Federal court, and possibly even in a state court. But that will take time, and in the meantime gays and non-Christians are going to get the shaft.

Of course, as described Christians could also be discriminated against by other religious groups, but considering the overwhelming majority is Christian the majority of discrimination is going to be BY Christians.

And all you have to do is see how these loving Christians on Topix talk about those outside their religion.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#205270 Jan 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, Buck...
You want some more links debunking Barton...and guaranteed to have been written by degreed historians? Well, watch this space...
http://www.tfn.org/site/PageServer...
author...Professor Green holds a Ph.D. in American constitutional history and an M.A. in American religious history from the University of North Carolina, a J.D. from the University of Texas, and a B.A. in history and political science
http://www.jeffersonhour.com/Barton%20Review....
author...Clay S. Jenkinson, a Rhodes and Danforth Scholar, is a nationally-recognized humanities scholar (btw, Buck, humanities includes history). Jenkinson describes himself, "My one iron commitment is to rigorous historical research and mastery of the material."
http://www.politicususa.com/2012/05/05/the-ba...
author...Hrafnkell Haraldsson, a social liberal with leanings toward centrist politics has degrees in history and philosophy.
http://www.religiondispatches.org/books/atheo...
author...Paul Harvey runs the blog Religion in American History and teaches history at the University of Colorado.
Need I go on? With you, probably yes, since you aren't going to fold no matter how many references I give. But I've got lots more where these came from.
Let me ask you a question, Piss Brain.

What group of people was Barton's book directing its criticism for?

How would we expect them to react?

Jenkinson has been dealt with. His criticism is absurd. He bases his entire history of Jefferson on a these words, "Question whether there is a god". He avoids the remainder of the quotation which explains the question.

I indulged the painful task of reading your link to Steven Green. He has nothing. He doesn't like Barton presenting evidence Jefferson was not a strict Deist, or that separation of church and state is not encoded in the Constitution. Jefferson wasn't, and it isn't. He offers the profound criticism of "a weak analytical method". Wow.

I did find Green's review saying this:

"The prose is generally factual and descriptive. One can read extended passages from the book without encountering a pro-Christian nation argument. And Barton relies extensively on original documents and authentic compilations of letters, correspondence and memoirs for his sources"

Devastating. I'm not reading any more of your resources.

Location hidden

#205271 Jan 20, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Bilgewater has been flaunting this claim since topix began.
Odd thing is, back in the day, for a very brief period, he also spoke of his own "confusion". He quickly dropped that, and has relied on his non-present "wife" for testimony ever since. Of course he never does so in a spirit of joy, but only whips it out when he wants to "prove" that a "homo" can "choose".
In any case, there's three possibilities re: his wife's "rescue":
Either she dallied with another girl once, and thinks that makes her homosexual.
Or she is attracted to the fairer sex, and is now repressing her nature due to pious peer pressure.
Or she never was, but it makes wonderful "testimony" in Sunday morning witness. Anyone that has attended church regularly will be familiar with the reformed addict/atheist/criminal who testifies to the Lord "saving" them (and us) from themselves. It's a great attention grabber and the pew-warmers lap that stuff up.
Thank you, Dr. Freud.

Please keep your therapy notes from your interviews with his wife confidential, in the best practices of your professional training.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#205272 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
I ran into another gay friend, John, yesterday at the plaza selling his water colors. Both he and his helpmate Earl, who have been together since the late seventies, have been married and have children. They are luckier. Their kids don't despise them, although John's Christian sister won't speak to him.
It's absolutely horrible what the Christian culture does to these people. I find it unforgivable. It doesn't matter that you don't feel seething hatred for these people. You perpetuate it on behalf of your church.
<quoted text>
And there it is - delivered dispassionately and without any overt hatred.
You would understand if I noted that healthy infants arenít born drug addicts. or Christians, that addiction comes later in life after the individual is negatively influenced with drugs, and that in many cases itís the same with Christianity. If millions of people thought and spoke about you like that, you would be despised, possibly to the point that people that should love you would hate you for no other reason than being Christian.
I like my gay friends. If you demean them,you demean yourselves in my eyes.
Seething hatred huh.......

Do your gay friends have seething hatred for those that dont accept them?
Campbell

Kingston, TN

#205273 Jan 20, 2014
Divine Alien wrote:
When we leave this world, we are going back to God himself.
The dead will rise first and meet their ghost pal floating on a cloud then all of them will go behind pearly gates, float on gossamer wings and sing hymns of praise forever. Personally I don't believe 2000 year old fairy tales and I have a bad singing voice. I'll be in hell getting reacquainted with the friends I made during the 30 years I played dance band piano.....especially the chicks.

Location hidden

#205274 Jan 20, 2014
<quoted text>
This kind of writing turns a lot of people off. I'm not referring to the specific content, but the tone and manner. Putting gay in scare quotes is a tip off, as is describing Throckmorton as an agent in a camp, as if he has some surreptitious agenda, and describing scholarly rebuttals as attacks.
Lively goes an to imply that he knows Throckmorton's motives - to humiliate Barton - and then uses words like "defamatory efforts," "people with an agenda," and "saboteur"
And his his words "those who still believe that Warren Throckmorton is on the side of the Christians in the culture war" are quite telling indeed. Academic debates are not culture wars, and academics don't take the sides of factions. They argue a position about an idea. One would hope that both Barton and Throckmorton were on the same side - the pursuit of historical accuracy.
These kinds of comments undermine Lively's credibility as a scholar or intellectual. His endorsement of the quality of Barton's past work is meaningless, and his endorsement of Barton's character is not an endorsement of character at all, but the opposite.
Here's an article I found from pastor Lively entitled "Homo-Fascism vs. the First Amendment"
http://www.scottlively.net/2013/05/21/homofas...
Scholars don't write like that. Throckmorton certainly doesn't.
Throckmorton writes worse than that.

In his book about Barton's "Jefferson", he questions the authenticity of Barton's claim that Jefferson signed documents with the notation "In the year of our Lord Christ".

A picture of such a document is in Barton's book.

He describes Barton's historical document collection as "some old Bibles" and "a lot of old newspapers".

Throckmorton's gripe with Barton is his worldview, and he fraudulently writes it up and puts it out to the world as an academic historical criticism of Barton's work.

That's the whole controversy in a nutshell.

Location hidden

#205275 Jan 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>

BTW...name this "historical expert"/ Just saying "historical expert" does not score you any credibility points.
The history textbook publishers who used him as a consultant and the legislatures who used him as a witness scores some credibility.

Some argument you have going there. You're funny.

Tell me, is a circular argument infinite in length - like a circular donut?

Bwaha.

Location hidden

#205276 Jan 20, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this obsession with Throckmorton you have?
Why don't you address some of the degreed historians that I have linked to?
Is it because you don't have anything else?
Throckmorton is your witness, Dingle Ball.

You can't submit his testimony, then plead the Fifth for him.

Who do you think you are - Lois Lerner?

You strike me more as a Kato Kailin.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205277 Jan 20, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>...I am able to look at something and see if its righteous or not......
I know you think you are God.

That is why you are a proven liar.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#205278 Jan 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
You told us your wife was a homosexual, you thinking that is miraculously cured does not make River a liar, it makes you delusional.
His wife is Bisexual. CC can't understand that.

CC is too busy playing God to face reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min waaasssuuup 838,776
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min KayMarie 590,232
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min RiccardoFire 99,980
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 29 min Neville Thompson 458
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 31 min 15th Dalai Lama 4,405
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 32 min lovewithin 40,497
White women leaving their white families in dro... (Aug '09) 37 min danmbagley 192
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr swedenforever 176,949
More from around the web