Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#204346 Jan 18, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Some of my kids will be trust fund babies. They will be under more control than you seem to be.
Some of them?

I'd like to pursue this at some point.

I get an allowance. I don't get the bulk of the money until I'm 26. I get some in 4 months but it won't make a difference in my attitude.

Location hidden

#204347 Jan 18, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> LOL Deviancy loves company eh? And whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Go ahead, take it to the next level , gimpy
Aren't they one and the same?

Wait, we're missing one.

God says, "Boo"

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#204348 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of them?
I get an allowance. I don't get the bulk of the money until I'm 26. I get some in 4 months but it won't make a difference in my attitude.
Ah, 26, the age of mental maturity I have referenced so many times.

But you want it now, right?

Patience, little one. You will understand when you get older.

You will be getting some heavy clicks in the head as things solidify the next few years. Gears will mesh.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#204349 Jan 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean 8 gallons per mile?
8 mile...that's that rapper guy Enema I mean Anime or Enigma whatever guy ain't it ?

Location hidden

#204350 Jan 18, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> This is irrefutable much to the chagrin of atheists and the hair standing up on the back of their necks.
I kinda like the Dave, Buck, Bongo and Ar Ar dumb ass show in the morning!
Those clowns are funny!

Location hidden

#204351 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You were in prison.
What's your take on it?
He keeps a toothbrush handy just in case.

Location hidden

#204352 Jan 18, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just checking, little one. You seem to have had lots of experience in the world for a young one legged Asian girl. And you are very sharp and creative.
Much trouble climbing into it?
No emission controls? Must be an oldie or you have extremely lax emission laws in your state.
That GM 350 is one of the best and most durable engines made, especially those mid-70's. Almost indestructable.
MY son drove from NOLA down to Miami in an old 77 Olds when he was in college. Brought his new girlfriend and future wife down to meet me and his friends. Got through the toll booth in the north end and his timing chain popped. I towed it to the other end of the county and spent the next few days of my vacation replacing the chain and gears. Fired it up and it went clickety clack for a while due to the bent valves. Oh, shit. But they settled down and beat themselves back into shape. Told him not to go over the limit or race the engine on the way back to NOLA. They drove it for the next 4 years. Tough engine. Been through 3 other 350's that were also indestructable.
His girlfriend and future wife was a bitch. That relationship would have ended there if it wasn't for the toughness of that engine. Which would have been fine with me. As it turned out it lasted twenty years and the genetic product from them is as good as it gets. Very proud Grandpa. God works in mysterious ways.
I'm really surprised you don't drive a lower to the ground vehicle. Maybe a Subaru Forester or similar.
I watched and learned, Dave. There wasn't much else to do when my lessons were done. The cars were housed in the same barn my horse was in. When I brushed him down and put him back in his stall, I'd watch Jerry with the cars. He never got tired of my questions. Jerry found the truck for me. I didn't want a car that had to be modified to fit my situation. I don't need help getting into it. I don't need help at all.

Location hidden

#204353 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't they one and the same?
Wait, we're missing one.
God says, "Boo"
In your case he already did. Look down at that foot.

It will make you grow. You have to "think" more now than before. You aren't just another beautiful brainless Barbie off the shelf.

Your physical brain and reflexes didn't save you, did it?

You appear to be angry at a God you don't believe in, not at a random universe and your inability to escape it.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#204354 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of them?
hmmm im surprised you didn't call JG Wentworth already.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#204355 Jan 18, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You remembered me, obviously something I said lodged.
Is empiricism the only valid method of determining truth?
I remember that you do nothing but ask question after tedious question….

Location hidden

#204356 Jan 18, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, 26, the age of mental maturity I have referenced so many times.
Does mental maturity wane with age, Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
But you want it now, right?
Not really.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Patience, little one. You will understand when you get older.
Like you do, Dave?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You will be getting some heavy clicks in the head as things solidify the next few years. Gears will mesh.
I'm homosexual, Dave. I look at gears differently.

Location hidden

#204357 Jan 18, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
In your case he already did. Look down at that foot.
It will make you grow. You have to "think" more now than before. You aren't just another beautiful brainless Barbie off the shelf.
Your physical brain and reflexes didn't save you, did it?
You appear to be angry at a God you don't believe in, not at a random universe and your inability to escape it.
My reflexes did save me, Dave. It was cotton that failed me. If it hadn't been for my pant leg the dude driving the Ford Taurus would have been looking at my ass instead of my left foot.

There are no gods,Dave. Once you die, there's just people like me who make sure your temperature is good to go. Here's an idea. Trim the bush. Morgue workers across the land will applaud.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#204358 Jan 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:

Yes, and the Ten Commandments condemns adultery, not homosexuality, as the sexual behavior highest on the list.
Sexual behavior is highest on no Biblical list.
Nevertheless, it is homosexuals that the church targets and scapegoats while merely giving lip service to adulterers.
Probably because homosexuality and gay marriage seems to be "top news" these days, cheating spouses aren't.

I swear man, every time I see some news, it's gay this and gay that. It's like that's the best thing that could make the news today, some senator is gay. Stop the presses!!

Most of the time I don't even read it, my attitude towards gays is very apathetic.
That is further evidence that the bible isn't the principle source of church church teaching, and why I scoff when told that Jesus teaches love. He's not the one teaching most beleivers.
I curmudgeonly agree.
I don't think that you feel hatred when you repeat what you have been taught. But I do think that the message is damaging. Duckman and Canada man probably also feel no hatred. It's better that none of you feel hatred, but it's not good enough. It doesn't make the message OK.
Anyway, you have ample evidence that many others consider those ideas hate speech. You can choose to realize that and adapt accordingly, or ignore it and focus on your rights to continue expressing your sacred beliefs without regard for the consequences to others or to the church. You can't control the public's perception of all of this except by controlling what you say.
That's only because I'm not PC. That's the political side of me, not the religious.

I call fat people fat, not obese or eating disorder challenged.

I call bald people bald, not folically challenged.

I fart in public.

I call a criminal a criminal, not a destitute person resulting from social inequalities.

I call a blackboard a friggin blackboard, not a chalkboard.

And I call extra-marital sex a sin, be it hetero or homo.

And I don't care if people don't like it.
I still don't understand why you consider WBC qualitatively different from the others. I'm sure that they would tell you that they have no hate either. After all, the signs say "God hates fags," not "I hate fags."
Because they are an extremist church that does not represent the masses. No more than the KKK represents white people or the NBA means all blacks are good at basketball or that crazy pitbull that bit the mailman means all pitbulls are attackers.

It's the "bad apple spoils the bunch" bullshit that I don't follow.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#204359 Jan 18, 2014
<quoted text>
When I lived in rural Missouri, the only talk radio I could receive in my car was a conservative station that gave me a steady dose of Sean Hannity every afternoon on my drive home. You may know that that begins with Martina McBride's Independence Day, which also gave me chills, but not the way she probably intended. The edited version that opened Hannity's show was mostly just the chorus, which goes like this
Let freedom ring, let the white dove sing
Let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning
Let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong
Roll the stone away, let the guilty pay it's Independence Day
What's chilling? The implied threat. Rather than merely celebrating her freedom, she's telling us twice that bad things are coming - a day of reckoning when whoever it is that she means she by "the guilty" will pay. That dovetails nicely into the comment I just made to lightbeamrider about the darkness of the message being promulgated to and through him.
Anyway, maybe you'd like a chuckle, Here's MAD TV's parody of Martina McBride and the culture she represents:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Y6bz7zUPPL4XX
That's a great song. It's about American freedom, not religion.

Location hidden

#204360 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched and learned, Dave. There wasn't much else to do when my lessons were done. The cars were housed in the same barn my horse was in. When I brushed him down and put him back in his stall, I'd watch Jerry with the cars. He never got tired of my questions. Jerry found the truck for me. I didn't want a car that had to be modified to fit my situation. I don't need help getting into it. I don't need help at all.
I knew a guy missing both legs. His car had to be modified.

Knew another with serious genetic issues who's legs didn't work at all, was missing fingers, limbs twisted up, and pretty spastic from birth. He got a Master's degree and taught developmentally disabled people how to use computers. His name was Harvey. Out of his electric wheelchair he had to hop around like a frog. In it he was a demon on the sidewalks. He would take off and go see the sights or to the store along major highways. He had buttons to push to steer and control speed. Harvey would be speeding down the sidewalk at 90 MPH then suddenly veer off toward traffic because of those buttons and his impaired reflexes. Scared the hell out of thousands of drivers. Don't get in the way when he went into a doorway. Did that for years before I lost contact with him. He was around 40 then. Harvey was a 10^-2 body and a 10^6 spirit. Very inspirational man. NOTHING kept him down.

You had to see those veers, and the amount of them toward heavy traffic and what he had to navigate in those high speed events for years without serious injuries to understand something else looks after you. He did this almost every day.

He had two wheelchairs. One was always getting repaired or the tires changed.

Location hidden

#204361 Jan 18, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Does mental maturity wane with age, Dave?
<quoted text>
Not really.
<quoted text>
Like you do, Dave?
<quoted text>
I'm homosexual, Dave. I look at gears differently.
You are nothing but confused at this point in time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#204362 Jan 18, 2014

But those sermons and that counseling target many of those taxpayers. Shining a light on that fact and the fact that the churches do so little for the poor will weaken public support for those tax breaks. That's fine too, but it doesn't have to be that way. Given that we have the tools to spread that message, especially the Internet, wouldn't it be better to adapt proactively? If you can't, you force our hand to oppose the church, since acquiescence isn't an option.
How can you say that "churches do so little for the poor"?! Churches around the country do a tremendous amount of giving in many various ways.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#204363 Jan 18, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>I remember that you do nothing but ask question after tedious questionÂ….
So you are not comfortable defending your worldview?

Location hidden

#204364 Jan 18, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew a guy missing both legs. His car had to be modified.
Knew another with serious genetic issues who's legs didn't work at all, was missing fingers, limbs twisted up, and pretty spastic from birth. He got a Master's degree and taught developmentally disabled people how to use computers. His name was Harvey. Out of his electric wheelchair he had to hop around like a frog. In it he was a demon on the sidewalks. He would take off and go see the sights or to the store along major highways. He had buttons to push to steer and control speed. Harvey would be speeding down the sidewalk at 90 MPH then suddenly veer off toward traffic because of those buttons and his impaired reflexes. Scared the hell out of thousands of drivers. Don't get in the way when he went into a doorway. Did that for years before I lost contact with him. He was around 40 then. Harvey was a 10^-2 body and a 10^6 spirit. Very inspirational man. NOTHING kept him down.
You had to see those veers, and the amount of them toward heavy traffic and what he had to navigate in those high speed events for years without serious injuries to understand something else looks after you. He did this almost every day.
He had two wheelchairs. One was always getting repaired or the tires changed.
That's cool.

No, I don't drive a stick shift.

I think that's where this began.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#204365 Jan 18, 2014

Thanks for that. But I have to say that I'm amazed that you haven't considered that before. Don't you try to see through the eyes of others? How many times have you read about the damage atheophobia does to unbelievers from me alone? Never? OK, thenplease read this:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
I've read that before, or something similar. From you, maybe here or on PTAG.

I empathize with you but I can't understand because I've never been that way towards unbelievers or different believers.

The only time I've been an asshole like that (and I kinda still am) was towards Muslims and towelheads after 9-11. It's left an emotional scar that I can't let go of.

But towards atheists? No. Never. I've never harbored ill-will towards them. I've always found them "strange", but I'm sure they find me equally strange.
It does, although that was not the specific claim. The claim is that church doctrine hurts people.
I think it would behoove you to try to see through the eyes of the people who say that it hurts them, and if you can't empathize, at least recognize that others are empathizing, and that they see Christian doctrine regarding gays as hateful and harmful even if you don't agree.
I'm trying to do just that.

I gotta admit, the last year on Topix has greatly opened my eyes in regards to tolerance towards people different than me. I've taken that newfound knowledge and passed it around in "meat space" with very positive results.

I know I'm a better person than I was a year ago.
You should understand how hateful, spiteful and petty it seems to the non-Christian world - and maybe even to some Christians - to refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay wedding when that is your business, for example. Even those who can understand the conflict created for the Christian baker and empathize with her may learn to resent the church that created that situation.
I still gotta draw the line there, though. I think that baker was justified in refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. Just as it was the gay couple's right to fight back.

One thing I hate is being force fed morality. Idiots something I don't believe in or agree with, my attitude is fuck you and I don't care, I ain't making you're damned cake.

That's my political incorrectness again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min atemcowboy 559,296
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 10 min shyam 5,511
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Rick in Kansas 265,078
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min River Tam 774,848
Should Black People in the USA Leave America an... (May '13) 16 min Konny 654
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 34 min lil whispers 604,944
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 42 min andet1987 5,711
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Haji Muhammad Abd... 441,762
More from around the web