Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#203480 Jan 16, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how godbots are the first to yell:-
"Help, help I am been oppressed come see the violence in the system."
Not to mention the fact that they often are the violence in the system.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203481 Jan 16, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
1) I thought evolution was a reaction to environment. So if life started in the water, what is the theory for what would have triggered it to evolve to be able to live on land if it was already fine in the water?
Life evolves to fill all available and exploitable niches. Life didn't need to leave the ocean. It was simply able to and did. There are still oceanic life forms because there are still marine niches.
Skombolis wrote:
2) What is the theory on how life split into all the different species and with both gender in almost all of them?
I'm only have a layman's understanding in the area of evolution, and don't know the details of the evolution of sexual reproduction, just that the development of gender and sexual reproduction was a successful adaptation that occurred in an early life form. Bilateral symmetry, cephalization, and segmentation would be other notable features that appeared early in the evolutionary process in ancestral forms that gave rise multiple phyla.

I believe that sexual reproduction developed independently in the plant and animal kingdoms.

Incidentally, in case you weren't aware, sexual reproduction in this context doesn't refer to the act of having intercourse, but to the way chromosomes shuffle in meiosis, and the haploid gametes formed in that process unite to form novel arrangements of genes. The increased genetic variability increases both the rate of adaptation to exploit the environment and to resistance to extinction due to changes in the environment.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#203482 Jan 16, 2014
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
I have been called "convict" many, many a time.
Water off a ducks back.
Yep, nothing to be ashamed of there. They don't realize that we're proud of what we were able to make this country into.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#203483 Jan 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm guessing that the irony in your posting eludes you.
That one's always been like that, Ians.

LOLOL

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#203484 Jan 16, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
That be tha drongo aye, pmsl, it's funny to watch it pull guesses out of its arse.
Yes. LOLOL

It's on a primary school level.

Fennario

#203485 Jan 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Canadian Supreme Court Rules Biblical Speech Opposing Homosexual Behavior is a ‘Hate Crime’
http://christiannews.net/2013/02/28/canadian-...
I say bring it cowards. I won't shut up.
You seem to think that you have a right to more than believing and worshiping as you like in private or with like minded people - to impose it on others that don't agree with it or want to hear it. That is the attitude that makes the church the legitimate concern of those outside of it.

How often do we read Christians wondering why we concern ourselves so much with the church. That is why. The rest of us have a right to insist that you stop slandering gays and atheists in that way. It damages people.

Yours is a maladaptive attitude. And expressing it in militant terms is a poor strategy.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#203486 Jan 16, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheist don’t believe in God, nor do they understand good & evil or right from wrong.
Eagle 12
So only believers have ethics? If you really want to think so.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#203487 Jan 16, 2014
destroy atheism wrote:
<quoted text>
Because most atheists are worthless human crud with no jobs. Too much time on their hands to worship their god Satan.
Now who's being hateful?

Fennario

#203488 Jan 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Show me where any Christian here insist on anything.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Canadian Supreme Court Rules Biblical Speech Opposing Homosexual Behavior is a ‘Hate Crime’
http://christiannews.net/2013/02/28/canadian-... .
I say bring it cowards. I won't shut up.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203489 Jan 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Although not mine, the right to bear arms as an individual is an arguable position. Nevertheless, it hardly constitutes strict originalism or constructionism.
Buck's interpretation of the 1st Amendment is that the bans only apply to Congress. I pointed out that if the bans against infringement of rights only applies to Congress, in reality those rights would not exist since any other governmental body COULD infringe upon them. Buck poo-pooed this idea.

However, Buck has even stated in the past that the states have the right under the Constitution (as he interprets it) to establish a religion within the state. In other words, freedom of religion would be moot. Case closed.

So Buck actually agrees with me, but he seems to think this would be a good thing.

But then, Buck talks out of both sides of his mouth all the time.

And when called out on it his usual response is..."You're a liar."

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#203490 Jan 16, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
What I have learned from all the Topix Christians over the last coupe years is that Christianity is a joke and the majority of its members are morons, liars and lunatics who are hate filled egotists.
I find it sad that only a handful of people here actually believe , even remotely, in what Jesus taught let alone try to follow those teachings.
I feel bad for the decent "believers" who, although only 1 in 100, are stained by the feces thrown by the other 99.
I grow tired of the Bucks, Daves, RRs, Bucks, RAs, etc. who are not only a disgrace to Jesus and God but all humanity. They have nothing to offer anyone except as an example of how to be a lying, ignorant animal.
I understand why atheists see no evidence of God or Jesus. These "Christians" only demonstrate that have nothing of God.
I know what you're saying, Ben. I saw Xians acting like hypocrites in real life. From my parents' church especially, but not only them.

Here on Topix, such attitudes and behaviour are boiled down their essence.

Fennario

#203491 Jan 16, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>wow
While I think there are times the 1st Amendment has been used to protect things it was never intended to, this is a dangerous precedent that Canada is willing to engage in.
I expected to click on the article and see some sort of harassment where someone was essentially assaulting and targeting an individual and then claiming freedom of speech. Which is what the Alberta ruling was and said it was legal because it did not target an individual. But now even saying or writing the Biblical position on homosexuality is considered hate-speech?
It is basically legislating personal morality and making it illegal for someone to express their position. It is also essentially using the law to allow legislators to use their personal opinion to criminalize a portion of a religion.
I would think regardless how people felt about it personally that they would see the danger in this. Allowing the government to decide opinions are illegal is pretty nuts. It'll be interesting to see if this has a slippery slope effect. What will be next? But I saw this in a different way with the Patriot Act. People make knee-jerk decisions and give away what used to be rights that were considered sacred based on an over-reaction to a single event.
So many people died on battlefields to ensure certain rights. It's sad to see us to hand them over because of fear or political correctness. All these rights, be it privacy or free speech or legal or etc are so much bigger than any one situation. I don't see how people don't get that
Would you change your mind if it could be shown that the behavior that was outlawed damages people?

Fennario

#203492 Jan 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Man I guess this struck a never with someone..
Yeah - you: " I say bring it cowards. I won't shut up."

“going back”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#203493 Jan 16, 2014
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't take this the wrong way my friend, but you really need to study English composition before contributing to the forum.
I never said i was educated. I do not think my opinion is any less important. You should be smart Enough to understand i am not going take anything to contribute to form. Please don`t take me the wrong way either my friend.

Fennario

#203494 Jan 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
What is obvious, specifically from your posts, is that you are unwilling to address the incidents in an honest way.
Your claims got more attention than they deserved. And there are no incidents to address,just scripture and your claims.
KiMare wrote:
The issues you are desperately trying to steer me towards.
Why would anybody care what issues you steer toward or from?

Location hidden

#203495 Jan 16, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Now who's being hateful?
Da janitor is always hateful, I reckon the jesus tells him to be.

Location hidden

#203496 Jan 16, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, nothing to be ashamed of there. They don't realize that we're proud of what we were able to make this country into.
Lol. Never mind that those folks are also the ones who are apt to think Brazil is in Europe.

Fennario

#203498 Jan 16, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
There it is, folks. Mr. Clearwater (god bless him--who gets it?) believes "every man is evil." Who else here subscribes to this pathetic philosophy?
Which one did you mean? That every man is evil, that the world is horrible and has never been worse, that scientists cant be trusted, or that homosexuals are an abomination?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#203499 Jan 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Would you change your mind if it could be shown that the behavior that was outlawed damages people?
You mean like this;

Anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#203500 Jan 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Your claims got more attention than they deserved. And there are no incidents to address,just scripture and your claims.
<quoted text>
Why would anybody care what issues you steer toward or from?
Ancient incidents that identify things we just now understand. Incidents that shaped the most profound culture we now witness.

You clearly cared to suggest a different direction after failing to address the aspects completely and honestly.

You are running.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min Bongo 36,456
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr RFD 988,411
How did black people get here ( economically) 3 hr RFD 64
What was the Vegas mass murderer's REAL problem? 4 hr RFD 18
Why is Mahattan Johnny a gay trucker 5 hr JuJu 6
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 hr Phooey 688,571
Black "bi-racial" college girls and white gray-... 9 hr Doctor REALITY 13
More from around the web