Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#203398 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Scaritual has given your question more time and attention than all of the rest of us combined. Perhaps it doesn't matter to him any more, or won't soon.
Why don't you bring something interesting to the posters present? Look at what they are actually willing to discuss, and what they ignore. People seem to find constitutional issues interesting, as well as discussions of faith versus reason or trust, school prayer and societal dynamics, abiogenesis, atheism and humanism, evidence and proof.
Hovering aliens with glowing faces and smearing pigeon blood not so much.
What is obvious, specifically from your posts, is that you are unwilling to address the incidents in an honest way.

Why?

Because it is much easier to scoff at things we don't understand, or ideas rooted in opinion. The issues you are desperately trying to steer me towards.

That nagging doubt as you tuck tail and run will haunt you until you are forced to face it.

Smile.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203399 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Thats exactly what she is saying
She has said it before
She even went into more detail (although someone switched it from default to default after 6 months old) and claimed someone would not only know the difference between right and wrong (although right and wrong according to who?) and would also naturally be repentant.
That simply isn't even close to true. People are not born with nor do they have some sort of inherent morality that kicks in at 6 months
Morality is learned
Actually she said, "moral principles and a conscious that tells you what is right and wrong are default human conditions".

I'm not sure i can agree with the first part of that statement, as i think "morality" is a subjective and cultural code of behavior, but I can completely agree with the second part.

As soon as self-awareness starts to dawn, all have the sense (conscience) that feels "right/wrong" when we commit an act and, even in the most primitive way, can assess the result of that act, It's through that observance coupled with teaching that we actually learn our culture's moral code. In one of the example's given, the infant doesn't inherently know not to pull the dog's ear, but after once doing so, and observing the pain caused, knows that something ain't right about what happened.

I'll grant you, kids do show differing capacities to listen to, or ignore, the message received, but (assuming a "normal" child with no organic deficiencies) everyone hears that inborn voice.

I'm actually surprised believers aren't grabbing onto it and calling it evidence of God.

“The future begins”

every moment

#203400 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists love their anarchy, and preaching it.
Every one having the right to define morality and any words for themselves is a core belief of theirs. I'm sorry, core non-belief.
I wonder how they will instill law and order if they ever win?
How will they make the population act in concert?
You're living it, Mr. Van Winkle.

It's called the US Constitution.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203401 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it's a rule based on bullshit. A rule that is unconstitutional. He has every right to pray in his room, at the table, in PE, at lunch, in class or during a speech behind a microphone. The constitution protects that right.
Not in school, it doesn't.

He also can't carry a shotgun in school. He also has no right to privacy in school. He can be searched at will. His freedom of speech is limited. If you don't like that, don't forget to vote.
Richardfs

Australia

#203402 Jan 15, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheism can’t console a grief stricken heart.
But it can dishearten and offer hopelessness instead.
More meaningless spam from duck12.

But keep going please your pointless posts only serve to show lurkers what a waste of space you and your cult are.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203403 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do you think it wrong to call a Black person 'Monkey'??..
.. how about calling a Jew 'Hooknose'??..
.. if you answer 'yes' to the above, is it appropriate to call a homosexual a 'perverted abomination'??..
P.S. Even if you believe Catcher & I are evil, we still love you.
Of course all are wrong however having said that I still don't want to ever see the day the government here tells us what is acceptable speech. Its rare that in most of these forums you don't come across 'christards and other examples of names some use to describe people of faith. Still I'll take that over any government having a say. Btw I think everyone is evil, Christians included. Its why we are told to put on Christ daily (war of the flesh vs spirit) and our works are like filthy rags.

“The future begins”

every moment

#203404 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well..now we are kinda moving away from free speech and into the area of justification or rationalization for crime. I suppose what would have to be scrutinized is whether it can be considered a call to action. I am not aware of what the exact standard may be, although normally what would be considered reasonable is the litmus test.
There are many root causes for why someone may feel or act as they do. But so long as the actual speech itself isn't trying to incite a crime then it should be protected.
But I agree there is some gray area. For example, if I am speaking at a landlord convention I can't say we gotta group together to keep blacks out of our properties. Yet I could say it to neighbors. Just depends in the law, the intent, and the specifics I guess
But yeah, always good to see ya too Hip
(T) Peace
And that's the thing. Clearwater can always be counted onto place the most dire persecutory spin on anything he sees, and he seeks out pages that reflect that same paranoiac mindset. The fact is the court did not rule that the Bible itself was hate-speech, as the headline tries to say. In fact they specifically affirmed the opposite, that the Bible itself was not hate-speech. That's what I mean about spin. That webpage has an interest in inflaming, not informing.

Here's an article with a little more balanced overview from Christianity Today:

"Major Hate Speech Ruling in Canada Affirms Biblical Principle"

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/20...

What a difference a few well-placed words make, huh?

Safety Harbor, FL

#203405 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Chris. I should have qualified my usage of the word you. It wasn't personal. Just a general homophobes in America thing. Personally, I don't need the government being my nanny. I can, have and will continue to deal with assholes in my own unique way. It's more fun that way :)
No worry here.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203406 Jan 15, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What is obvious, specifically from your posts, is that you are unwilling to address the incidents in an honest way.
Why?
Because it is much easier to scoff at things we don't understand, or ideas rooted in opinion. The issues you are desperately trying to steer me towards.
That nagging doubt as you tuck tail and run will haunt you until you are forced to face it.
Smile.
LOL you go girl!

Safety Harbor, FL

#203407 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I agree it should serve as a lesson. Hope some at least are learning from it. It's scary how much we have already given away
(T) Peace
After Snowden its questionable. Your thoughts on him? I hope to pick this back up. 4 a.m. is soon to be here as its when I start now. Take care.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#203408 Jan 15, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
.. a conscience enables a person to differentiate between right and /wrong based on feelings ..

.. if you know you've done something wrong, your conscience triggers the feeling of remorse ..

.. the conscience of humans is genetically determined then imprinted by parents and society. Individuals without a conscience are sociopaths (the unnatural position)..

.. feelings are innate hence a conscience is the default position ..
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203409 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Oh my.
We unbelievers really don't need to have people taught to believe like that. Wouldn't you agree that we have a legitimate interest in trying to reverse it?
Where are you reversing human nature? Are you going to start with the army navy airforce and marines?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#203410 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it's a rule based on bullshit. A rule that is unconstitutional. He has every right to pray in his room, at the table, in PE, at lunch, in class or during a speech behind a microphone. The constitution protects that right.
A rule based on bullshit, according to who?

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#203411 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I already told you that I wear Hanes socks.
Hold me.
I do, Redneck.

In contempt.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203412 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
I could connect you with a sweat shop in Beijing of you are interested in a job.
Thanks, man

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203414 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. the teaching of God is a parental responsibility, not the role of public education ..
Public schools require the whole community, we all have a role.

I think we need to understand that we're not making products, we are creating conditions for kids to grow and develop. Schools aren't just about literacy and numeracy.

Is it the role of the public education system to teach how to make a shoebox diorama? How to limbo? How to play basketball? Why Obama is a genius? How to color in the lines?

Is it the role of the public education system how to properly put a condom on a phallic fruit?!

Do you object to any of those or is it just prayer you object to?
.. at issue is what SCOTUS calls 'viewpoint discrimination'(discrimination based on personal beliefs)..
.. CATCHER, you're on ..
"Viewpoint discrimination occurs when laws, regulations, or actions attack or unfairly discriminate against a specific individual or group because of the personal views of the individual or group, whether those views concern religious beliefs, political beliefs, or intellectual or academic ideas."

That viewpoint cannot depend on the content of the speaker or the viewpoint of the speaker.

I think the key word there is "unfairly". Who gets to decide that? I think it's unfair that the school board can override the Constitution and tell a child that he can't pray at the podium.

Viewpoint discrimination would only be applicable if the school board agreed to the Christian prayer but denied another student to give an atheist speech.

That is something I'd agree with.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#203415 Jan 15, 2014
Still unanswered;

There is a known type of radiation that does cause glowing. However, we are talking about an unknown type of radiation. It emanates from an Alien who not only warns of the deadly danger, but provides three types of shielding for a partial viewing. Not only this, but every time Moses returns to the presence of the Alien, the affect is repeated. What explains these elements that we only now understand thousands of years later, in a purported fiction book?

Add to this the account of the Alien hovering over the Israelites with smoke and fire visible.

But the most profound, is that the 'Law' given by the Alien did exactly as he predicted, something we see with distinction to this day.

Smile.

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#203416 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. public schools are becoming more secular ??..
.. when were they not secular ??..
<quoted text>
.. the teaching of God is a parental responsibility, not the role of public education ..
.. at issue is what SCOTUS calls 'viewpoint discrimination'(discrimination based on personal beliefs)..
.. CATCHER, you're on ..
I hesitate to stoop to Redneck's level of discussion.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203417 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. do you think it wrong to call a Black person 'Monkey'??..

.. how about calling a Jew 'Hooknose'??..

.. if you answer 'yes' to the above, is it appropriate to call a homosexual a 'perverted abomination'??..

WOOOAAHHHH....

This is one if those eye-opening posts.

Intriguing.

Thank you.
Richardfs

Australia

#203418 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. again, the primary purpose of a public education is to educate students so they can be contribute to society. To attain that goal, prayer is not necessary ..
Please remember you posting to the '2nd brightest' person here (according to 'butt crack' or was that 'drongo')

So you are going to have to repeat yourself again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again and it still wont get.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min Mr Wiggley 41,620
Sometimes I like Louis Farrakhan's "sermons"...... 44 min Smarter than you 98
Would the world have been better off...without ... 56 min Doctor REALITY 4
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 1 hr Smarter than you 120
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Gabriel 989,676
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Gods r Delusions ... 690,316
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 1 hr Paul is dead 541
More from around the web