Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255504 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203354 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Canada. It shouldn't affect you. You can still spew your hatred of homosexuals without fear or reprisal from the government.
I like you River but a lie is a lie. I hate nobody. And yes while that is Canada we have a potus that often speaks against the very nation he is the leader of and gives examples of other nations dong things better. Imo this really has little to do with homosexuals, its just an avenue to a very dark place. Everyone should be able to have a say and I see it as quite a danger to label something hate speech in way to silence people.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203355 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, self-serving can lead just as often to cooperation and altruism as otherwise.
<quoted text> I don't think she said morality is inherent. I believe she referred to consciousness of right and wrong. I think that misapprehension affected everything you said subsequently here.
Thats exactly what she is saying

She has said it before

She even went into more detail (although someone switched it from default to default after 6 months old) and claimed someone would not only know the difference between right and wrong (although right and wrong according to who?) and would also naturally be repentant.

That simply isn't even close to true. People are not born with nor do they have some sort of inherent morality that kicks in at 6 months

Morality is learned

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203356 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, the good old days.

Before our society went down the tubes.

Are you sure you're not Clearwater's sock?

Whether you are or not,

WOE IS YOU
..and BOO HOO

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#203357 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools can't prevent a student from praying. That is unconstitutional.
He can pray all he wants to. Just not with a microphone in front of the student body. The kid broke the rules. I thought you were just ranting about the loss of school prayer that showed kids the respect for authority. The kid just shit all over authority by breaking their rules.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203358 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>It's Canada. It shouldn't affect you. You can still spew your hatred of homosexuals without fear or reprisal from the government.
Oh goody for all the christians!

They can legally spew hate, my condolences to all my murikan buddies.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203359 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Thats exactly what she is saying

She has said it before

She even went into more detail (although someone switched it from default to default after 6 months old) and claimed someone would not only know the difference between right and wrong (although right and wrong according to who?) and would also naturally be repentant.

That simply isn't even close to true. People are not born with nor do they have some sort of inherent morality that kicks in at 6 months

Morality is learned
Correct.

Location hidden

#203360 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
I listen to radio more than anything. A few days ago a woman called in saying she was in her 70s and she felt we are losing freedom. And I agree with you on the patriot act that in my thinking was a huge path to where we are today. It should serve as a lesson.
I agree it should serve as a lesson. Hope some at least are learning from it. It's scary how much we have already given away

(T) Peace

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203361 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
oh yeah, what about glucose?
Serum or cerebrospinal?

Fennario

#203362 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Brown, looks just like unpainted wood and matches the beams of my craftsman house. You owe IANS some responses. Think first.
LOL. Thanks.

We just has some upgrades done to the homestead as well. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how little it cost. We tip liberally.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#203363 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Serum or cerebrospinal?
C and H

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203364 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Hip
I respectfully disagree. Perhaps morally there are opinions and "opinions". But not legally.
The only things that should ever be considered when restricting free speech is whether it engages in a call to criminal activity, violates privacy, or is considered harassment against an individual.
When we start legislating the "opinion" that don't violate that simply because we don't like them, that is a very dangerous road to go down my friend. The right to express the opinion is way more important than how many people like it. The same charges you made could be said of rap music. But to me, that's the entire point of free speech...to say what we want so long as we aren't infringing on the rights of others or inciting people to commit crimes. Obviously there has to be some limits.
(T) Peace
When people actively cite those verses to justify oppression, discrimination, and assault, then they perfectly fit the definition you prescribe in your first paragraph above.

Always Gooda C'ya Sko!

Fennario

#203365 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Have you noticed that materialists don't seem to hold the values that our critics impute to us - what they say we are obligated to believe? The conclusions you draw are what you think a materialist should believe if he thought like you - no god, no problem. But we keep coming to other conclusions nevertheless. When a theist tells us that we have nothing stopping us from wilding and berserking, he is projecting his own psyche less his god belief onto the unbeliever. But the unbeliever is much more than that, and has resources and faculties in play that the theist is apparently unaware of. That's why it makes more sense for a theist to ask an unbeliever what he believes rather than tell him what conclusions he must come to if as if he were a theist who suddenly had his principal or sole reason for misbehaving removed.
Bongo wrote:
You do hold those values. They would surface in adversity and if left up to your own devices. Its like the arms race, as long as there is a counter deterent we have the status quo. Things like famine, and shortages of resources will bring out the true colors. Godlessness leads down a foreboding path.
Oh my.

We unbelievers really don't need to have people taught to believe like that. Wouldn't you agree that we have a legitimate interest in trying to reverse it?

Location hidden

#203366 Jan 15, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
Thank you
christINSANITY is EVIL

Fergus, Canada

#203367 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Legacy of my atheist days.
The neural connections are still being repaired.
Amusing that you would think you could zing me with such a weak effort at wit.
Eat some Wheaties.
wheaties were invented to sell you empty calories lacking any nutritional value,iow keeping people stupid,and your moronic posts prove it every time!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#203368 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you always resound and seemingly defensive when people make fun of the lunatics that do it

I happen to think you are one of those lunatics. WSJLM would light up like a Christmas tree with icons any time you showed up

If its any consolation, it didn't change my opinion of you in the least

:)
All you have is assumptions based on your imagination. Does that bother you Skomboneurosis?

I like pointing out that you and your buddies cry more about icons than anyone.

I use my cell app for this dodgy site but you keep trying, law of averages says that eventually you'll guess something correctly.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203369 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He can pray all he wants to. Just not with a microphone in front of the student body. The kid broke the rules. I thought you were just ranting about the loss of school prayer that showed kids the respect for authority. The kid just shit all over authority by breaking their rules.
Because it's a rule based on bullshit. A rule that is unconstitutional. He has every right to pray in his room, at the table, in PE, at lunch, in class or during a speech behind a microphone. The constitution protects that right.

Fennario

#203370 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Esquire has an article in which the treating medical staff debunks several of Alexander's claims. That's not surprising - that's the business skeptics trade in. What is equally unsurprising is Alexander's response: "Esquire's cynical article distorts the facts of my 25-year career as a neurosurgeon and is a textbook example of how unsupported assertions and cherry-picked information can be assembled at the expense of the truth.’ In other words, the defense rebuttal amounts to, "Huh Uh! You're stupid!" Sounds very familiar Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23543...
Thanks for that as well. I enjoyed the link.

Alexander undoubtedly made a bundle on the book. Good for him. The will to believe in magic is powerful, and some ideas are apparently irresistible to many.

Since: Sep 08

Saguache, CO

#203371 Jan 15, 2014
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24920419/bi...

"Sen. Vicki Marble, R-Fort Collins, proposed the bill, saying it was needed to bring Colorado in line with federal law at places where government-issued Electronic Benefit Transfer cards can't be used. Marble said she worried that without the bill the federal government might view the possible use of the cards at marijuana stores as a reason to raid the businesses."

"The committee voted 3-2 on party lines to kill the bill. Democrats said there is no evidence that needy Coloradans are using government assistance to buy pot and said the bill is not needed."

I have never heard a liberal Democrat say a bill wasn't needed.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203372 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said I didn't pray as a child. I said I think I didn't pray enough.
There's a big difference there. This, I think, is why you're having such a hard time debating. I'll say "I didn't pray enough as a child" and you'll read "I never prayed as a child".
That's your fault, not mine.
"I didn't pray >much< as a child, but i think all children should be mandated to pray a government approved prayer."

The difference is hardly consequential to the result. It's still imposition of a behavior you yourself didn't think enough of to actively engage in.

Much.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>As far as the ground zero mosque, I think it's a terrible idea to have a Muslim church that close to ground zero. It's heartless and it shows no compassion whatsoever.
Never mind that it wasn't a mosque, but a community center ala the YMCA. Still, your defense of universal religiosity just got murky.

Which is fine for you, but it's also why such opinions on public displays of religion lose traction, because they're so blatantly, unabashedly biased.....

....which is exactly why TJ built the wall, and was so proud of it he put it on his tombstone.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203373 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Oh, the good old days.
Before our society went down the tubes.
Are you sure you're not Clearwater's sock?
Whether you are or not,
WOE IS YOU
No.

I already told you that I wear Hanes socks.

Hold me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 min RiccardoFire 44,679
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Rosa_Winkel 48,461
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Rosesz 646,525
George Soros Is a Brilliant Investor 24 min andet1987 3
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 31 min andet1987 2,036
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 48 min Neville Thompson 386
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 57 min Neville Thompson 281,249
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 hr The Hangman 971,627
More from around the web