Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256648 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203294 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. woe is America ..
.. by the way, moral principles and a conscious that tells you what is right and wrong are default human conditions ..
According to who??

Any sociologist will tell you that is wrong

In fact, its that very thinking that allows bigotry to flourish. Black men are naturally violent, the Jews were sub-human and deserved to be exterminated and etc, etc

People are not born with default settings and inherent morality. Morality is learned. It is taught. It is socialized. It is why you could take the exact same person and raise them in a totally different environment and they would be totally different.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203295 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are slow, Catcher.
I'll race you.

You won't catch Catcher.

I'm a human Ferrari, with the elegance of an Aston Martin.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203296 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that supposed to have a point?
Being republican doesn't make one a conservative.
Buck, I'm quickly learning that you just reply for the sake of a reply. Do you even remember what you write from one post to the next? Is there intended to be any consistency between them?

At all?

“The future begins”

every moment

#203297 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I have a motto you can use in your crusade:
Onward Christian soldiers!!
(I would have thought, given your personal situation, you would be more charitable toward homosexuals.)
Self-loathing is a powerful thing......

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#203298 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are slow, Catcher.
As public schools got more secular they also turned out more mediocre product.
Buck would probably agree.
You didn't see that coming, huh?
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/ca-teacher-fo...
Lovely example of your philosophy and activism.
.. public schools are becoming more secular ??..

.. when were they not secular ??..

.. there are many reasons for the decline in education including teachers, unions and absentee parents ..

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#203299 Jan 15, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
http://youtu.be/R09plsi0AHw
LOL. I still love seeing him and hearing him speak. Some politicians are simply entertaining. You gotta love Rob Ford and Chris Christie, too. And Anthony Wiener..
Rolling Chunder

United States

#203300 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
True words. Like that hack in New Jersey, exactly like the pretender in the white house today.
Or the lesbian trapped in a Christian at the Clearwater house.

Location hidden

#203301 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is, folks. Mr. Clearwater (god bless him--who gets it?) believes "every man is evil."
Who else here subscribes to this pathetic philosophy?
I would much rather have the philosophy that man when left to his own devices will normally choose to be self-serving and are better off turning their life over to Christ who teaches love thy neighbor than to subscribe to the philosophy that morality is inherent.

That beliefs absolves us of any responsibility to teach others. It gives someone a built-in excuse for any behavior to simply claim they are 'wired' that way. It allows bigotry to flourish as people buy into the idea that certain groups of people are all naturally a certain way. It ignores all the contributing factors to crime like poverty and education. And I could give dozens of other examples

I don't believe anybody is naturally evil or good. I think all men have the potential for both. But you think it's better to think people have morality automatically built into them then to desire to strive to be better?

Interesting

And yes I know you didn't say it. But you will support it because HL said it. After you went along with her claiming it is a terrorist threat to tell someone over the Internet they are going to hell I think it's fair to assume your default position will be whatever one HL takes. Or prove me wrong

Is morality a default position where people naturally know right from wrong?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#203302 Jan 15, 2014
Atheism can’t console a grief stricken heart.

But it can dishearten and offer hopelessness instead.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203303 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
River's point, as I understand it, is that both are violations of rules.
Not that both are equally dangerous.
Schools can't prevent a student from praying. That is unconstitutional.

Since: Sep 08

Saguache, CO

#203304 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. public schools are becoming more secular ??..
.. when were they not secular ??..
.. there are many reasons for the decline in education including teachers, unions and absentee parents ..
They weren't when there was prayer in them, were they?

I will agree with those other items you mentioned. But I would head the list with the modern holy education industry and progressive leaderships of them.

Sure has been a lot of money poured down the drain since Sputnik days.

With less time on prayers you would think they had more time for the 3 Rs.

Or was that taken up by the new social enlightenment curriculum?
Richardfs

Australia

#203305 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You have analysis paralysis. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed..
Really, which version of the bibull or for that matter which version of godbot.

However using your 'logic' neither the Mafia nor the IRA have anything to be ashamed of, that is very godbot of you.

But either way it makes no difference all you shown is not that you don't think very much but you don't think at all.

With Established Harem

#203306 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>According to who??
Any sociologist will tell you that is wrong.
.. no they won't ..
Skombolis wrote:
In fact, its that very thinking that allows bigotry to flourish. Black men are naturally violent, the Jews were sub-human and deserved to be exterminated and etc, etc.
.. what? That's not what I wrote ..
Skombolis wrote:
People are not born with default settings and inherent morality. Morality is learned. It is taught. It is socialized. It is why you could take the exact same person and raise them in a totally different environment and they would be totally different.
.. prior to six months, an infant reacts from pure instinct. After six months, a child begins to observe the world around them, the nurturing, feeding, burping and diaper rituals. Unless raised in an abusive home, they mature and the default setting is automatic - they understand the difference between right and wrong. Then, walla: their conscious begins to bother them if they do something wrong. It's all rather automatic ..

.. ask any sociologist ..

P.S. I'm done debating this topic with you. As usual, you may have the last word.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203307 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. woe is America ..
.. by the way, moral principles and a conscious that tells you what is right and wrong are default human conditions ..
Then why do some babies pet the family dog
while others try to teas it's ears off?

Where's the default condition there?

With Established Harem

#203308 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Self-loathing is a powerful thing......
.. in what way ??..

Location hidden

#203309 Jan 15, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
While in AIT in Georgia, I ran across a tattoo shop, I was gonna do it on payday. I can now say 'thankfully' they screwed up my check and I didnt get paid, in fact they said I owed them money. Anyway I never went through with it, I was back in MN. before they got it straightened out.
I was gonna get the Pink Panther in a trench coat and shades, a baggy of reefer in one hand and a doobie up to his lips in the other on my left upper arm..........
So glad i didnt get paid that payday..... LOL..........
LOL

Thanks for sharing that!

I had sone close calls myself!

Yeah, I think you would have regretted that one! I even opted against a "safe" tattoo and almost got my fraternity letters just across my ankle. I'm glad now I didn't

With Established Harem

#203310 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't when there was prayer in them, were they?
I will agree with those other items you mentioned. But I would head the list with the modern holy education industry and progressive leaderships of them.
Sure has been a lot of money poured down the drain since Sputnik days.
With less time on prayers you would think they had more time for the 3 Rs.
Or was that taken up by the new social enlightenment curriculum?
.. again, the primary purpose of a public education is to educate students so they can be contribute to society. To attain that goal, prayer is not necessary ..

With Established Harem

#203311 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do some babies pet the family dog
while others try to teas it's ears off?
Where's the default condition there?
.. prior to six months, it's all instinct ..

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#203312 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're comparing praying in school to bringing a shotgun to school.
Does that mean you find them both equally dangerous?
They're both breaking the rules set up by the school district. Why would one be worse than the other?

“The future begins”

every moment

#203313 Jan 15, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I would much rather have the philosophy that man when left to his own devices will normally choose to be self-serving and are better off turning their life over to Christ who teaches love thy neighbor than to subscribe to the philosophy that morality is inherent.

Ironically, self-serving can lead just as often to cooperation and altruism as otherwise.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>That beliefs absolves us of any responsibility to teach others. It gives someone a built-in excuse for any behavior to simply claim they are 'wired' that way. It allows bigotry to flourish as people buy into the idea that certain groups of people are all naturally a certain way. It ignores all the contributing factors to crime like poverty and education. And I could give dozens of other examples
I don't believe anybody is naturally evil or good. I think all men have the potential for both. But you think it's better to think people have morality automatically built into them then to desire to strive to be better?
Interesting

Is morality a default position where people naturally know right from wrong?
I don't think she said morality is inherent. I believe she referred to consciousness of right and wrong. I think that misapprehension affected everything you said subsequently here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min another viewer 974,050
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Robert F 654,676
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 8 min Bran 59
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 13 min Dr Sochs 65,117
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 41 min Pegasus 281,981
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,608
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,318
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 2 hr Toby 862
More from around the web