Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255937 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203230 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Who had a narrative with Darwin being the first to describe natural selection?
And who discredited that narrative with facts?
Nice story, Infinite Donut Boy.
LOL Buck. So are you going to start arguing against Matthewism instead of Darwinism?

Didn't think so.

Face it Buck, the term "Darwinism" says it all. The real "debate" started with Darwin's publication. As noted Matthew's publication barely counts as publication. It was an aside placed in an appendix..."hey, here is an interesting idea buy I have no data for it." And it barely caused a ripple. Hardly anyone noticed it. Darwin was certainly unaware of it.

And, as I pointed out, 1838, 1859, they are both long after the time of the Founding Father's. There could have been no debate over by the FF over natural selection as Barton claimed.

And, once again I want to thank you for the vile, hateful nicknames.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I conclude from being on this thread the the quantity of hate people will pour onto a person is directly proportional to his effectiveness at annihilating their arguments.
Let it roll, boys.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203231 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Effectively?
That, sir, is funny. It is to laugh.
I don't have a problem with God. He doesn't exist. And I don't have a problem with authority. I do have a problem with people who think their invisible friend gives them authority over me.
And I think your last line is very telling about what you really want. Did you say this because you have a desire that I should be punished?
No desire there, except when you lie and Buck repudiates. Its that this Christian nation under God gave you your ability to dissent. You cant do that in other places without repercussions

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203232 Jan 15, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you believe in Satan how is that if not in a physical form?
Do you [Self] use your brain to do this? Or is it just something that others told you to "believe in"?
What does this "Satan" look like? Does "he" even have a physical appearance, or is just an invisible wind that exists in your mind?
Lots of questions that seem to be not answered with your belief?
Or is it that you just have "faith" that a belief exists within you?
Really?
Spiritual leader eh? Lol.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#203233 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
True words. Now he will lie and say you are a bigot and full of intolerance. Its what he does.
.. woe & whoa is you ..

#203234 Jan 15, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Not one single Topix atheist over the last few days has stated they did not start doing illicit drugs before age 21.
Well, if you really want such a testimony, I'll provide one.

I did not do illicit drugs before I was 21. In fact, I have never done illicit drugs.

There. Does that satisfy you?

With Established Harem

#203235 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You just can't help yourself.
.. that's true ..

.. I need to iron some scarves real soon ..

Safety Harbor, FL

#203236 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, turns out they do not. They interviewed one of the staff, and his other doctors refused to participate.
The debunking by the one doctor consists of her saying Alexander could not have said, "Oh God help me" while he was lying on a stretcher, because she had intubated him. Several witnesses reported the utterance, and it turns out it came before he was intubated.
The other debunking in the article is of a similar quality. One is a debunking of a claim that two women saw a rainbow, which they reported to Alexander, and to other people by email. If someone lied, it was the two women, not Alexander.
This reminds me eerily of the "debunking" of David Barton. Turns out it's trash.
Ask him about Paine.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203237 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
But a strictly material universe implies man has no moral responsibility or culpability for his acts.
They are determined by his DNA, and other material factors, giving him no responsibility to accept a sense of justice another might wish to impose. His only purpose is to survive and propel his DNA to another generation.
With materialism, we and our actions are the result of prior material events. You can’t blame a car for running over a victim. The car is simply a physical object subject to a series of physical processes, it cannot be held morally culpable.
Can we blame the driver of the car? Only if the driver is not like the car. His choice is not simply the result of a series of purely physical processes, like dominoes falling. He had the freedom to choose otherwise, and this is why we seek to arrest and prosecute him.
Our recognition of the moral culpability of the driver is an admission that materialism fails to explain who we are as humans.
In summary:
A. No Physical System is a Free Agent
Physical systems are eithert determined by prior physical events or random.
B. No Physical System Has Moral Responsibility
C. Humanly beings DO have moral responsibility
E. Therefore, human beings are not simply physical systems.
Really good illustration

#203238 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
He build Nazism on Aryanism, on the idea that the German people were the master race.
You are ignoring the effects of Catholicism (Hitler was raised a Catholic) and its historical persecution of the Jews.

You are also ignoring the effects of Martin Luther, who also preached that the Jews should be persecuted.

As usual, your views are simplistic and not supported by reality.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203239 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do. Let me help you out as I will now quote you are you jet again smear and lie about Christians...
Good summation of the differing thought processes.
When I was first confronted with this dichotomy, I didn't recognize it. I was baffled. What a ludicrous proposition! I was certain they were just posing for effect. But after considerable discussion with multiple faithers repeating this same view, with little variation, I came to realize that there apparently were individuals who required, all the way thru adulthood, an external "Rulegiver/Enforcer" . They actually seem to need someone to restrain their murderous, larcenous impulses. More than that, it has to be an "all-powerful Deity", because, by God, society can't tell them what to do.
And as you say, since it seems that being self-absorbed goes hand-in-hand with these personality types, they assume, no, insist, that everyone else suffers from the same moral turpitude.
Show me where any Christian here insist on anything. I can spend days giving you examples of people that confess to have tolerance and show little to none and try to insist, usually by political correctness folks live the way they want or shut up. I have no problem with how people live but as long as I have breath will stand up for EVERYONE'S right to speak. Make no mistake the day will come when just like in Canada Christians will be forced by a benevolent government to sit down and shut up or locked up for hate speech. At least that's the direction I see this nation moving.
Woe is you.

BTW, what happened to the now dormant Bush thread?

And hey, they're locking up Christians in Canada?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203240 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. And Darwinism.
Hitler was anti-Christian. The only holdouts left on this matter are a few flapping magpies on the fringe of society.
E=MC2 proves Christine is a flapping magpie.

Betcha didn't know that.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203241 Jan 15, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. woe & whoa is you ..
Damn, you beat me to it--barely!

#203242 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No desire there, except when you lie and Buck repudiates. Its that this Christian nation under God gave you your ability to dissent. You cant do that in other places without repercussions
Says the guy that doesn't think much.

So you think Buck is right because Buck says he is right?

Got it.

Safety Harbor, FL

#203244 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, you beat me to it--barely!
Lol. So predictable. Rage on little man.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#203245 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Every person I ever heard say they are a social liberal and an economic conservative was really just a liberal.
A social liberal cannot be an economic conservative, because he has to expect other people to pay for his social liberalism.
Really?

How many "fiscal conservatives" voted for:

Medicare Part D on borrowed money
Two wars on borrowed money
Tax rebates on borrowed money
"Temporary" tax cuts on borrowed money
Allowing Pay As You Go to elapse
Enormous expansion of government bureaucracies

This all happened under Republican control of the Executive and both branches of legislature.

This liberal would have seen these go forward ONLY with the means to pay for them.

Too many people today confuse partisan labels with actual fiscal responsibility.

With Established Harem

#203246 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but IANS asserted that public education is to learn literacy and numeracy.
Home economics, basketball and choir are neither of those but are taught in public school nonetheless.
There are many thing valuable that the public school system teaches our kids, literacy and numeracy are only two small pieces of that puzzle.
.. the purpose of public education is to prepare children for the real world which, unless you're fabulously wealthy, includes the skills to obtain/keep a job and prepare a meal ..

.. all sports, including basketball, promote a lifetime commitment to physical fitness ..

.. choir is an elective ..

.. most public schools suck at all of the above. If you can afford it, send your children to a private school ..

With Established Harem

#203247 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Economics, home or otherwise, is valuable to students. Basketball teams and choirs are after school activities.
.. don't forget sex education ..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#203249 Jan 15, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Even though it has never been replicated or observed? Then why not abiogenesis?
I am just asking out of curiosity. Doesn't matter to me if you want to answer or someone else does. I don't know who knows more about it. But I have two questions:

1) I thought evolution was a reaction to environment. So if life started in the water, what is the theory for what would have triggered it to evolve to be able to live on land if it was already fine in the water?

2) What is the theory on how life split into all the different species and with both gender in almost all of them?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203250 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ignoring the effects of Catholicism (Hitler was raised a Catholic) and its historical persecution of the Jews.
You are also ignoring the effects of Martin Luther, who also preached that the Jews should be persecuted.
As usual, your views are simplistic and not supported by reality.
The reality is that the German people were furious about the loss in World War I. They needed a scapegoat, a group to blame. They blamed the Jews.

Then along came Hitler, this apparently genius man that had an idea of a one race world, a German race world. The Master race. He brought the German people together in unity and he made them all believe that he was a Christian.

Hitler needed to pretend to be a Christian, over 95% of the German people at the time were Christian. If he honestly came out and told the people that he hates Christianity, they would've never elected him into office.

He's just another lying politician. Just like when Obama told us that if you like your doctor, you can keep him. Or when Bush senior said no new taxes. Or when Clinton said he did not have sexual relations with that woman.

You cannot judge Hitler's religiosity based on his public speeches or any of his propaganda. All of the private sources say that he hated Christianity just as much as he hated the Jews.

Hitler was no Christian.

Safety Harbor, FL

#203251 Jan 15, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Woe is you.
BTW, what happened to the now dormant Bush thread?
And hey, they're locking up Christians in Canada?
Canadian Supreme Court Rules Biblical Speech Opposing Homosexual Behavior is a ‘Hate Crime’

http://christiannews.net/2013/02/28/canadian-...

I say bring it cowards. I won't shut up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min here 56,223
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min Seraphima 649,840
the REAL REASON Ron Goldman was stabbed...64 TI... (Aug '15) 33 min pearlofagirl 16
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 47 min WasteWater 2,297
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 48 min YOUR FATHER LOVES... 972,397
Poll White Men, Would You Have A BABY by a Black Woman (Apr '10) 54 min EBMWCS 500
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr DENG 39,054
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web