Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#203214 Jan 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The School District prohibited him from reciting a prayer. What a wonderful life lesson from the valedictorian of his class. "I shall show my classmates how to disrespect authority". He should have been denied his diploma.
The Constitution protects against illegal searches and seizure as well. That doesn't apply to students on school property. Students' lockers, backpacks and pockets can be searched at any time.
That is correct.

That's a different question than whether the school can permit or encourage voluntary prayer and so forth.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#203215 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
He build Nazism on Aryanism, on the idea that the German people were the master race.
Correct. And Darwinism.

Hitler was anti-Christian. The only holdouts left on this matter are a few flapping magpies on the fringe of society.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#203216 Jan 15, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
What does "God" have to do with how the universe works?
What evidence do you have to support your conclusion?
I don't find arrogance has anything to do with what you say. Humans learn - and to learn it requires us to take action.
I wonder why your "God" never takes any action to correct people of their errors?
You argument is dwindling.
What evidence do you have that the universe works without God?

Hint:'nothing' isn't evidence...

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#203217 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>You've cited a court case about mandated school prayer as being the start of secular humanism.
Yet we've shown that prayer wasn't mandated in your school, nor was it in the majority of the country outside the Bible Belt. We've shown that voluntary school prayer and religious groups have NOT been "taken out of schools". In fact, their rights have been vigorously protected by the ACLU.
So, the school prayer issue is knocked out of contention. What else do you have that signals the "beginning of secular humanism"?
Well, besides that little document from 1793.
The Supreme Court struck down voluntary prayer in school in Engle v. Vitale in 1962.

The Court held that the mere promotion of a religion is sufficient to establish a violation, even if that promotion is not coercive.

It's pure bull shit, of course. But that's what they ruled.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#203218 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence do you have that the universe works without God?
Hint:'nothing' isn't evidence...
Stop it RR - you are being feceious and pushing what you don't know back onto me.

If you don't know, then just say so - and stop implying you do have the answer when you really don't.

No RR I will not answer your question, because it has no merit.

If you can't - with your own eyes - see that no god is assisting with the workings of the universe, then you are the one who is blinded by ignorance and probably ego, in order to say otherwise.

If you had any clue whatsoever, you wouldn't have posted this response, but posted your opinion of "how the universe works with God" - but you chose not to.

Yep - like I stated already - you lack much in the knowledge you so dramatically express others don't know.

Sheez - if I knew I would be discussing the respect of morals with you, I probably wouldn't have responded at all - because it seems you are dismissing them all - namely honesty.

You for one, should have recongnized it by now - with as many people telling you that you are not being honest, yet you close your eyes to those individuals and their statements.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#203219 Jan 15, 2014
Sorry - typo - ":facetious"

I guess that is wht happens when you read RR's post.....

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203220 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Every person I ever heard say they are a social liberal and an economic conservative was really just a liberal.
A social liberal cannot be an economic conservative, because he has to expect other people to pay for his social liberalism.
I am a social liberal and an economic liberal.

Please send me $1000.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#203221 Jan 15, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Influence is very much a part of causality.
Remember. Don't be so dichotomous.
Awe,,,,,,,,,,

Tide just called you a dick RR..........

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#203222 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You seem angry that someone effectively retorts your views. You are indeed a dissenter and have a problem with God and authority. Good thing you were born in a free country eh?
Effectively?

That, sir, is funny. It is to laugh.

I don't have a problem with God. He doesn't exist. And I don't have a problem with authority. I do have a problem with people who think their invisible friend gives them authority over me.

And I think your last line is very telling about what you really want. Did you say this because you have a desire that I should be punished?

#203223 Jan 15, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You seem angry that someone effectively retorts your views. You are indeed a dissenter and have a problem with God and authority. Good thing you were born in a free country eh?
Do you notice that the only people backing Buck are ones like Bongo, who admitted he "doesn't think much".

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#203224 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The Supreme Court struck down voluntary prayer in school in Engle v. Vitale in 1962.
The Court held that the mere promotion of a religion is sufficient to establish a violation, even if that promotion is not coercive.
It's pure bull shit, of course. But that's what they ruled.
Yes, they did.

To their great credit, in my view.

There are close cases, such as a religious student group holding meetings on campus.

But this was an easy one.

Government promotion of a religion is clearly unconstitutional. Government entanglement with religion is enough, even without promotion.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#203225 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. And Darwinism.
Hitler was anti-Christian. The only holdouts left on this matter are a few flapping magpies on the fringe of society.
.. Hitler was raised and baptized in the Christian Catholic faith ..

.. suicide is a mortal sin ..

.. there's your argument ..

.. you may now gravel at my feet ..

With Established Harem

#203226 Jan 15, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Jim wrote:
Using acutal logic:
1.If infinity doesn't exist, then god's power is finite.
2. If its finite, then its measurable

Why was that excellent?
Just because a thing is finite does not mean it's measurable.
Next time it rains, count the raindrops.....
.. is your God finite in infinite ??..
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203227 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you notice that the only people backing Buck are ones like Bongo, who admitted he "doesn't think much".
If a guy who does not think much can perceive the accuracy in Bucks positions , imagine how much thinking theists will back him.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#203228 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Esquire has an article in which the treating medical staff debunks several of Alexander's claims. That's not surprising - that's the business skeptics trade in.
No, turns out they do not. They interviewed one of the staff, and his other doctors refused to participate.

The debunking by the one doctor consists of her saying Alexander could not have said, "Oh God help me" while he was lying on a stretcher, because she had intubated him. Several witnesses reported the utterance, and it turns out it came before he was intubated.

The other debunking in the article is of a similar quality. One is a debunking of a claim that two women saw a rainbow, which they reported to Alexander, and to other people by email. If someone lied, it was the two women, not Alexander.

This reminds me eerily of the "debunking" of David Barton. Turns out it's trash.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203229 Jan 15, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Wildly divergent from the preceding and laughably incomprehensible, but delightfully consistent. You go on bein' you, kid.
I should be flattered to have my own troll-fan club, I suppose, but it looks like the you're the President, VP, Secretary, and entire body of members. I resolve to try harder.
Please do. Let me help you out as I will now quote you are you jet again smear and lie about Christians...
Good summation of the differing thought processes.
When I was first confronted with this dichotomy, I didn't recognize it. I was baffled. What a ludicrous proposition! I was certain they were just posing for effect. But after considerable discussion with multiple faithers repeating this same view, with little variation, I came to realize that there apparently were individuals who required, all the way thru adulthood, an external "Rulegiver/Enforcer" . They actually seem to need someone to restrain their murderous, larcenous impulses. More than that, it has to be an "all-powerful Deity", because, by God, society can't tell them what to do.
And as you say, since it seems that being self-absorbed goes hand-in-hand with these personality types, they assume, no, insist, that everyone else suffers from the same moral turpitude.

Show me where any Christian here insist on anything. I can spend days giving you examples of people that confess to have tolerance and show little to none and try to insist, usually by political correctness folks live the way they want or shut up. I have no problem with how people live but as long as I have breath will stand up for EVERYONE'S right to speak. Make no mistake the day will come when just like in Canada Christians will be forced by a benevolent government to sit down and shut up or locked up for hate speech. At least that's the direction I see this nation moving.

#203230 Jan 15, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Who had a narrative with Darwin being the first to describe natural selection?
And who discredited that narrative with facts?
Nice story, Infinite Donut Boy.
LOL Buck. So are you going to start arguing against Matthewism instead of Darwinism?

Didn't think so.

Face it Buck, the term "Darwinism" says it all. The real "debate" started with Darwin's publication. As noted Matthew's publication barely counts as publication. It was an aside placed in an appendix..."hey, here is an interesting idea buy I have no data for it." And it barely caused a ripple. Hardly anyone noticed it. Darwin was certainly unaware of it.

And, as I pointed out, 1838, 1859, they are both long after the time of the Founding Father's. There could have been no debate over by the FF over natural selection as Barton claimed.

And, once again I want to thank you for the vile, hateful nicknames.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I conclude from being on this thread the the quantity of hate people will pour onto a person is directly proportional to his effectiveness at annihilating their arguments.
Let it roll, boys.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#203231 Jan 15, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Effectively?
That, sir, is funny. It is to laugh.
I don't have a problem with God. He doesn't exist. And I don't have a problem with authority. I do have a problem with people who think their invisible friend gives them authority over me.
And I think your last line is very telling about what you really want. Did you say this because you have a desire that I should be punished?
No desire there, except when you lie and Buck repudiates. Its that this Christian nation under God gave you your ability to dissent. You cant do that in other places without repercussions

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#203232 Jan 15, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you believe in Satan how is that if not in a physical form?
Do you [Self] use your brain to do this? Or is it just something that others told you to "believe in"?
What does this "Satan" look like? Does "he" even have a physical appearance, or is just an invisible wind that exists in your mind?
Lots of questions that seem to be not answered with your belief?
Or is it that you just have "faith" that a belief exists within you?
Really?
Spiritual leader eh? Lol.

With Established Harem

#203233 Jan 15, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
True words. Now he will lie and say you are a bigot and full of intolerance. Its what he does.
.. woe & whoa is you ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 26 min Bongo 53,376
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min dollarsbill 693,593
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 56 min Hukt on Fonix 992,493
Got my ex pregnant before break up. What do I do? 1 hr onemale1 3
Is God a "Bully" sometimes? 1 hr Peter Ross 56
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,483
Can Chinese girls date foreign men? 2 hr Puttin Bro 2
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) Mon dirtyguy34 35
More from around the web