Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244785 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#202852 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The loss of daily school prayer led to the demise of the public's feeling of morality. America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following that one event.
Prayer in public school has been a fundamental act since public school first begun. I believe praying in public school is a tool that helps raise the consciences and morality of kids. Prior to 1962, kids were very well behaved not only at home, but also at school and in public. Have you been to a public school lately? Have you witnessed the absolute loss of morality and respect from kids today?
Kids are too young to make moral decisions and need to be taught the respectful way to behave. By parents, teachers and school authorities Parents nowadays given up because the state has stepped in and tied the hands of teachers and parents. Praying teaches thankfulness and that we are all accountable to God and to each other for proper behavior.
You've neatly crystallized all of society's ills down to one gratuitous idyllic scenario. It is obvious why you did not address one single question proposed - because you would have to equivocate your position.

If 80% of Americans still identify as Christian, and have for that entire period you identify, then what does that say about Christianity's influence on the moral fiber of society? Of those 300% rise in divorces, a majority portion had to have been Christian. Every other item may be traced in some way to the breakdown of the nuclear family, and thus "the decline of morality". If it is as you say, these facts are also undeniable, therefore you yourself indict the alleged "Christian nation".

Here's the out for Christianity - it ain't nothin' as simple as you make out.

One thing about it - in fundamentalist Mideastern nations they do impose the very constraints you seem to pine for. They don't just pray to start the schoolday, they pray five times a day, and many teach nothing outside their version of the "Bible". And they've been killing each other, as well as innocents in the crossfire, over which God interpretation is "right" for centuries.

But lo! They sho' don't have the divorce rates, unwed birth rates, etc, etc, that you seem to think are the mark of a great society.

Which world do you want to live in?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#202853 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be a "defense" for murder in your world.
It's a reason in mine.
Insanity is a defense to murder in a court of law.

Dumbass.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#202854 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Not necessarily. But in Stalin's case, it reflected his atheism.
Hitler's direction reflected his Darwinism.
It's no mystery.
But I do appreciate the help.
The help really isn't for you.

I don't think you'll stop equivocating.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202855 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I just replaced a redwood deck with a new one, made of composite material (Trex is the company).
I love it.
Trex is an amazing product. Did you use their hidden fasteners system?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202856 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in Satan.
Believe "in"? No.

Believe "to exist"? Yes.

I'm honored to have corrected you.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#202858 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, you do have faith.
Not spiritual or religious faith, but faith nonetheless.
I have trust. That word doesn't need a qualifier.

If you don't add a qualifier to "faith" when you use it in this thread, I will always assume you mean religious faith. Most people will.

Either add a qualifier, or use the more appropriate word (trust). Failure to do so will demonstrate your intent to equivocate.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202859 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Dumbass.
The court of law is your world.

Your world has nothing to do with justice.

My world does.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#202860 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No, now back up. You said Paul "gave up" a life as a Pharisee. I'm just sayin', sure he did, but he exchanged it for something just as good, in his eyes. He did alright.
I don't know where you come up with "Universal Brotherhood of Mankind", but as for the rest, i don't disagree. You said it well. Defensive, but you said it well. See, for me, it ain't personal. You all are the ones with the emotional investment in the guy. For me, he's just an historical figure - a fascinatingly complex figure. As a student of history, and former Christian, it's only natural I'd be intrigued with the guy. He was a remarkable man, one of the most influential men of the Western world, and we could talk about his qualities all day if you like.
But I won't pretend his flaws weren't just as monumental as his qualities. Paul is a far easier personality to get a grasp on than the much-mythologized Jesus. It was Paul's words themselves that caused me to see that he was just a man - no more "inspired" than any other historical, fanatical, demagogue. Paul lifted the veil from my eyes about the origins of orthodox Christianity. For that, I owe him a debt as great as that you may feel.
Emotional investment?

LOL!!

I didn't know jackshit about Paul until the last couple of years. I haven't been to church in 50 years. What I say is based upon that recent look at him with a lifetime backdrop of social activism and such of the last several decades. I am looking at him with a lot less emotion than your REACTION to him.

Yeah, gave up his job as a Pharisee and tax collector to gallivant around getting stoned, ran out of town, and his head cut off. Oh, yeah. I guess it would have to be better than what he was doing in his eyes.

Funny how you infer he successfully gamed the system.

After all, look at the impact he has on your life. He was bigger than Jesus, but took a back seat.

That Universal Brotherhood of Mankind did not exist until the Christianity Paul produced. You had the Universal Brotherhood and rights of your tribe and nation until then.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#202861 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of prayer.
Along with a lack of respect, saying "you can't FORCE me to!" coming from a child is nonsense, when you're talking about disciplinary actions.
One precedes the other here, Hip.
1. Kids not praying, not respecting authority.
2. Kids grow up to be asshole adults.
Not the other way around.
Aw, Riv, you really gonna make me do it? Do you follow the thread of your own process?

Proposed: Adult misogyny is a result of not praying as a child
Addendum: You claim to be misogynist.
Thus
1. You apparently didn't pray as a child, in or out of school.
2. You grew up to be an asshole adult (your words, not mine)
3. You blame your public school for not making you pray.
4. You are party to the decline of American morality.

Wow. I've been doing this a good while, and don't think I've ever seen anyone tie their own shoelaces together so neatly before.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#202862 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I just replaced a redwood deck with a new one, made of composite material (Trex is the company).
I love it.
I'm a fan.

I like to look at girls' tats while on Trex decks.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#202863 Jan 14, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
"I shall call it 'elephant'"
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh, you fundies crack me up!
Too bad you weren't there to get your name.

I shall call him, "sh*thead."
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#202864 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumbass.
Your sweet side is showing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202865 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>You've neatly crystallized all of society's ills down to one gratuitous idyllic scenario. It is obvious why you did not address one single question proposed - because you would have to equivocate your position.
If 80% of Americans still identify as Christian, and have for that entire period you identify, then what does that say about Christianity's influence on the moral fiber of society? Of those 300% rise in divorces, a majority portion had to have been Christian. Every other item may be traced in some way to the breakdown of the nuclear family, and thus "the decline of morality". If it is as you say, these facts are also undeniable, therefore you yourself indict the alleged "Christian nation".
Here's the out for Christianity - it ain't nothin' as simple as you make out.
One thing about it - in fundamentalist Mideastern nations they do impose the very constraints you seem to pine for. They don't just pray to start the schoolday, they pray five times a day, and many teach nothing outside their version of the "Bible". And they've been killing each other, as well as innocents in the crossfire, over which God interpretation is "right" for centuries.
But lo! They sho' don't have the divorce rates, unwed birth rates, etc, etc, that you seem to think are the mark of a great society.
Which world do you want to live in?
I don't want to live in an anarchy based society.

A primary purpose of public education is to shape good citizens, yes? It isn't just about memorizing math problems and poetry. Once the acknowledgement of God’s existence is removed, there is no basis for morals, and a free society goes toward anarchy.

I'm not suggesting that the removal of prayer is the only culprit, many factors are involved. I think the negative trends I recorded earlier are a symptom of the spiritual decline in America.

Look, we've experimented with replacing the statement of God’s existence with atheistic humanism and that has been a dismal failure. Since the humanist victory in 1962, we've had a tremendous increase in violent crime, divorce rate, single moms, teenage suicide and lower education levels.

Is the lack of a daily school prayer the cause? No. It's the first straw on the camel's back. It's a start to teaching kids that they don't need to listen to authority, that anarchy can reign.

Which country do you want to live in?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#202866 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Believe "in"? No.
Believe "to exist"? Yes.
I'm honored to have corrected you.
The distinction is irrelevant to the irony of your post.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202867 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I have trust. That word doesn't need a qualifier.
If you don't add a qualifier to "faith" when you use it in this thread, I will always assume you mean religious faith. Most people will.
Either add a qualifier, or use the more appropriate word (trust). Failure to do so will demonstrate your intent to equivocate.
Why would you think I'm hiding something?

I'm apparently more open of the use of the word "faith" than you are.

To me, faith and trust mean the same thing.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#202868 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a very dishonest person.
RR knows he's dishonest…he just doesn't care.

In a way, its good that he and Buck keep posting things that are so obviously untrue - it allows everyone to see them for what they are.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202869 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Aw, Riv, you really gonna make me do it? Do you follow the thread of your own process?
Proposed: Adult misogyny is a result of not praying as a child
Addendum: You claim to be misogynist.
Thus
1. You apparently didn't pray as a child, in or out of school.
2. You grew up to be an asshole adult (your words, not mine)
3. You blame your public school for not making you pray.
4. You are party to the decline of American morality.
Wow. I've been doing this a good while, and don't think I've ever seen anyone tie their own shoelaces together so neatly before.
I am not above reproach. You can criticize me all day long.

I am the result of an American that grew up without a daily school prayer.

You're unwittingly making my point for me. Thank you.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#202870 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of prayer.
Along with a lack of respect, saying "you can't FORCE me to!" coming from a child is nonsense, when you're talking about disciplinary actions.
One precedes the other here, Hip.
1. Kids not praying, not respecting authority.
2. Kids grow up to be asshole adults.
Not the other way around.
Wow…then you must have never prayed as a kid...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202871 Jan 14, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Your sweet side is showing.
Oh, sorry.

Lemme just zip this up...
Bongo

Coram, NY

#202872 Jan 14, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.
LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Justise_League 864,381
The Christian Atheist debate 7 min emperorjohn 1,976
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 41 min sangili karuppan 7,494
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 40,866
"Children of DISOBIENCE": U R of your FATHER...... 1 hr Child of Set 3
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr dollarsbill 6,454
i am board dose anyone want to talk? 1 hr Child of Set 27
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Peace_Warrior 612,900
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr Liam 599,552
More from around the web