Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#202926 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Congratulations, you're succeeding.
<quoted text> I'd actually prefer evidence, instead of your evidence-less and vague assertions. Whether that evidence could be scientifically evaluated is another matter.
<quoted text>
Typical myth.
Maybe Odin's spear, Gungnir, was a guided missile?
That sounds ridiculous doesn't it? And so it is with your "The alien Yahweh with the unknown radiation emitting craft", story.
<quoted text> I'm not deflecting, but you are cherry picking, and ignoring other stories that conflict with what you want to assert and obviously believe. I'm looking at the other stories contained in the same book(bible), which relate other encounters with the same deity, with a different outcome.
Those other encounters say there were face to face encounters, "wrestling", visits in the home, etc...
We'll see.

As noted in my previous post, it is I who is demanding evidence. You attempt to make an assertion of fact about the identity of a person you claim is fictional! Too funny.

Now you seek to equate a spear, a weapon ancients of the time were fully aware of, with a description of radiation, something they had no idea even existed! Really???

I'm really kind of shocked at the foolishness of your response so far. I really did expect more.

I could care less about other accounts. I'm not even attempting to claim who wrote any of them. I simply want to know how radiation was accurately described thousands of years before we even knew it existed!

The fact is, you can't, so you set up a silly straw man to avoid explaining it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202927 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Whale evolution may have occurred. Abiogenesis may have occurred. With whale evolution, however, we have some evidence. For abiogenesis, there is none. I don't get why you think that is inconsistent.
I thought that you argued that abiogenesis was unlikely because it had never been observed or replicated. I offered whale evolution as an example of something that had never been observed or replicated to illustrate that that was not an adequate criterion for declaring something unlikely.

There is evidence for abiogenesis: Life. Something that is alive was undesigned, even if that is a god. Or do you not consider gods living? You mentioned that they are immaterial, but does being incorporeal make them not alive?

Location hidden

#202928 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> It does matter, and you're the one making the claim. The onus is upon you to supply the evidence or answer.
<quoted text>
Ditto.
Let me put it another way.

It doesn't matter if it showed up once or one hundred times.

The fact that it showed up at all in a 'fiction book' is the issue.

Man up honey!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#202929 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You said I might be demonstrating my willingness to equivocate.
Consider it a question. Is your intent to equivocate? If the answer is yes, continue to use the word "faith", unqualified, to refer to two very different concepts.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That means hiding something - namely, the truth.
The "truth", in this case, cannot be hidden by you, from me.

It is more likely that you are equivocating for your own benefit.

Faith of the kind you have and trust of the kind I have are qualitatively opposite. If you think that faith of the kind you have is superior, you should want to differentiate these things, not muddy the waters.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Perhaps you should be less unambiguous in your wording...
"less unambiguous"? Did you mean "less ambiguous"?

You went from "equivocation" to the much broader category of "hiding". I was as concise as I could be at the time. I may make stronger statements about your motivations as you provide more evidence.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#202930 Jan 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree. There is nothing inherently conservative or liberal about either attitude. When a jurist commits activism in service of a conservative preference, he remains a conservative.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Literally?
Conservatism embodies strict constructionism.

Liberalism embodies judicial activism.

If a conservative commits activism, he is committing a liberal act.

If a liberal supports strict constructionism (we have to use our imagination here), he is committing a conservative act.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202931 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I am a theist. It has never directed me to be a suicide bomber. It has helped shape my perspective of reality, and of what ought to be, as Stalin's atheism did for him.
Atheism doesn't shape my perspective of reality apart from it not including gods. It is exactly like my aleprechaunism and avampirism. It has exactly that much influence of my world view: no gods, no leprechauns, and no vampires. None of those makes me want to kill or do anything else. Even my posting against the Christian church is not motivated by my belief that there are no gods. That is motivated by the behavior of the church. If the church would not try to impose its agenda on the culture and government, there would be no issue there.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#202932 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No.

But the preschoolers on your to that capitol building will probably sit on the Satan statue's lap.

There's a good thought....
One fiction is as silly as another, kids wouldn't know the difference between satan, Ben 10 and the jesus if they were not being indoctrinated to think fictional characters are real.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202933 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Conservative justices have committed the same kind of judicial activism as liberal judge, except in furtherance of conservative values. Catcher gave us an example - affirming corporate personhood. Other noteworthy examples from last decade include Bush v. Gore and District of Columbia v. Heller.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Colu...
There is nothing in the Constitution that compelled the Court to have Florida stop recounting votes or to consider the citizens of DC a militia. Those were choices motivated by conservatives promoting conservative values.
In Bush v Gore, they just didn't have the time for a recount. Not that it would've mattered.

They actually did not consider the citizens of DC a militia, they protected the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms regardless of service in a militia.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#202934 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
I thought that you argued that abiogenesis was unlikely because it had never been observed or replicated. I offered whale evolution as an example of something that had never been observed or replicated to illustrate that that was not an adequate criterion for declaring something unlikely.
There is evidence for abiogenesis: Life. Something that is alive was undesigned, even if that is a god. Or do you not consider gods living? You mentioned that they are immaterial, but does being incorporeal make them not alive?
I don't understand your point.

Something that is never observed, but for which there is significant evidence, is more likely than something unobserved and having little to no evidence.

Why do you say something that is alive is undesigned?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202935 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
How do you know life wasn't designed?

Or should I say, why do you believe life wasn't designed?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#202936 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exactly wrong on that note.
I oppose anarchy by any mean I can.
<quoted text>
No, that isn't my point. You missed it I guess. I think that's a conclusion you've drawn. Based on what, I don't know.
<quoted text>
My actions? What actions of mine could've driven someone away from the faith?
<quoted text>
You're referring here to what I call a "Sunday Christian". It's a person that is super-duper Christian whole at church on Sunday but that's about it. There are many Americans like this. They are the ones hurting Christianity's reputation more than anything. They'll go out parting their ass off on Saturday night and "praise Gawd" Sunday morning.
You're not talking about me, though.
<quoted text>
I agree. Acknowledging that there is a problem is step one. Most people can't do that.
That's been made apparent here when the Topix Atheist! refuses to listen to logic and sensibility about the mountain of evidence stacking against them in regards to the loss of prayer on schools, how America has steadily gone downhill since then.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#202937 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
That was a public service announcement.
This is a public service announcement.

Change you smoke & Co detectors batteries!

Keep a record of when you changed them.

Always tape up a discarded 9 Volt battery.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#202938 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, sorry.
Lemme just zip this up...
Nice zip up sweater there Holmes.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#202939 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Atheism doesn't shape my perspective of reality apart from it not including gods. It is exactly like my aleprechaunism and avampirism. It has exactly that much influence of my world view: no gods, no leprechauns, and no vampires. None of those makes me want to kill or do anything else. Even my posting against the Christian church is not motivated by my belief that there are no gods. That is motivated by the behavior of the church. If the church would not try to impose its agenda on the culture and government, there would be no issue there.
If you say so. But I can't imagine that your world view is no different than if you believed God existed.

Would you not have a different view of our reason for existence? Or possible reasons?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202940 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:

Consider it a question. Is your intent to equivocate? If the answer is yes, continue to use the word "faith", unqualified, to refer to two very different concepts.
No, that isn't my intention. I'm being as clear and honest as I possibly can be.

You're just afraid to use the word "faith". Fear maybe that someone might think you're talking about religious faith. I dunno.
The "truth", in this case, cannot be hidden by you, from me.
It is more likely that you are equivocating for your own benefit.
I'm not equivocating.

To equivocate is to use polysemic words (words that have multiple meanings) in an attempt at being misleading.

I don't see in what way I'm doing that by calling what you call trust, faith.

Here's an interesting typical equivocation:

A feather is light.
What is light cannot be dark.
Therefore, a feather cannot be dark.
Faith of the kind you have and trust of the kind I have are qualitatively opposite. If you think that faith of the kind you have is superior, you should want to differentiate these things, not muddy the waters.
I guess that depends on the context of the discussion.

Did you read the back n forth NASL & I did about having faith or trust in loaning the keys to our house? In that context, either word works.

In the context of Christianity or God, I'll agree that the use of either word correctly is important.
"less unambiguous"? Did you mean "less ambiguous"?
HA HA!!

Yes.....

oopsie
You went from "equivocation" to the much broader category of "hiding". I was as concise as I could be at the time. I may make stronger statements about your motivations as you provide more evidence.

You have faith there'll be more evidence?

:p

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202941 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
How much of your computer memory is devoted to your "aleprechaunism"?

Your "avampirism"?

And how much devoted to your anti-Christian tirade?

Food for thought.

Eat up.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202942 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
One fiction is as silly as another, kids wouldn't know the difference between satan, Ben 10 and the jesus if they were not being indoctrinated to think fictional characters are real.
Jesus & Satan aren't fictitious, though.

I thought you knew.

Location hidden

#202944 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> If you understand both stories to be myth, then it's exactly the same. The details change, the themes and elements are mythic, the end result is the same >> Mythology.
<quoted text> You don't have to. The book you are referencing makes that claim. You're making a claim that disputes the deity claim found in the book.
<quoted text> You are saying it's not what the book, and adherents of the religion say it is. That is an assertion. Within that framework, it's your task, not mine, to make your case.
You haven't made your case.
I'm not attributing a judgment on any book. Only you are.

I've never seen a chariot fly by. I have seen planes, helicopters and hovering craft. Those 'details' are hardly equatable.

Nor am I attributing deity to the story. You are. The atheist. Do you understand how hilariously ironic that is???

Once again, I'm simply asking how an accurate description of radiation showed up in a fiction book thousands of years before we even knew it existed. A description that includes an Alien who hovers over the Israelites.

You keep trying to make your own case instead of addressing my question.

Smile.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202945 Jan 14, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jYcC37LrjI0XX
http://youtu.be/IhnUgAaea4M

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202946 Jan 14, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:

Nice zip up sweater there Holmes.
Christmas present from gramma.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 11 min Trump is a joke 41,941
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min hojo 690,438
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 51 min Greatest Hits 286,677
Charles Mansion Died Last Night 2 hr Rider on the Storm 5
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 4 hr Rabbis on the Run 124
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 5 hr Big Al 598
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Rabbis on the Run 989,722
More from around the web