Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256546 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#202839 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Apples and oranges.
Physical entry was required then because that was the only technique available for a search.
The school prayer in Engle v. Vitale was the same technique that had been practiced for 150 years under the nose of the court.
What was the equivalent innovation for prayer that brought school prayer into disrepute with the court?
Dismissed. Call the next case.
Oyez, oyez, the Supreme Court of Catcher is now in session.

The court calls the case of People v. Crick.

Will the defendant please rise?

Fremont, CA

#202840 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
When a Christian murders, it's because he's insane.
When an atheist murders, it's because he's insane.
Capisce?
If that were the case, which it isn't, no murderer would be convicted.

Insanity is a defense to murder.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202841 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<
I don't have faith.
Are you a liar?
Yes, you do have faith.

Not spiritual or religious faith, but faith nonetheless.
Greens - Tuf

Kurnell, Australia

#202842 Jan 14, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the young women I know have pony tails, tats and piercings. They are so employable that companies are vying to recruit them.
Yep, the brothel industry is booming.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202843 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
No.
That was a public service announcement.
We care as much about your going to the gym as we do paying attention to the Emergency Broadcast System tests.....

Fremont, CA

#202844 Jan 14, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Your deck is made of cards?
Mine is made of wood.
I just replaced a redwood deck with a new one, made of composite material (Trex is the company).

I love it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202845 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
If that were the case, which it isn't, no murderer would be convicted.
Insanity is a defense to murder.
That may be a "defense" for murder in your world.

It's a reason in mine.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#202846 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ya. Hey.
Great idea.
Except hypnotists are as real as David Copperfield's "magic".
You believe in Satan.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#202847 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a fan.
Thanks, man.
Greens - Tuf

Kurnell, Australia

#202848 Jan 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> hey RT. Well the pony tail comment referred to men and it depends on the look. How gauche are they? All that distastefull goth, nose rings African style lips pieces and ear pieces ridiculous ink work eyeball covers. Their opportunities are limited for sure. The fad was once limited to entertainers and wackadoos but it caught on kinda like those droopy drawers. Ive never seen your average idiot who desecrates themselves in "gainfull" type employment. Im sure some have because their abilities overcome the spectacle and an employer can "use" them. A psychologist could explain the whole thing a lot better than me.
"A psychologist could explain the whole thing a lot better than me."

A 3rd grader could explain it a lot better than you.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#202849 Jan 14, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the brothel industry is booming.
Is it?

Where?

Fremont, CA

#202850 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The loss of daily school prayer led to the demise of the public's feeling of morality. America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following that one event.
Prayer in public school has been a fundamental act since public school first begun. I believe praying in public school is a tool that helps raise the consciences and morality of kids. Prior to 1962, kids were very well behaved not only at home, but also at school and in public. Have you been to a public school lately? Have you witnessed the absolute loss of morality and respect from kids today?
Kids are too young to make moral decisions and need to be taught the respectful way to behave. By parents, teachers and school authorities Parents nowadays given up because the state has stepped in and tied the hands of teachers and parents. Praying teaches thankfulness and that we are all accountable to God and to each other for proper behavior.
And here I thought you believe that children are best taught respect and morality by hitting them, starting at about six months or so.

Fremont, CA

#202851 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We care as much about your going to the gym as we do paying attention to the Emergency Broadcast System tests.....
I take it that, by "We," you are referring to you and the rooster.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#202852 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The loss of daily school prayer led to the demise of the public's feeling of morality. America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following that one event.
Prayer in public school has been a fundamental act since public school first begun. I believe praying in public school is a tool that helps raise the consciences and morality of kids. Prior to 1962, kids were very well behaved not only at home, but also at school and in public. Have you been to a public school lately? Have you witnessed the absolute loss of morality and respect from kids today?
Kids are too young to make moral decisions and need to be taught the respectful way to behave. By parents, teachers and school authorities Parents nowadays given up because the state has stepped in and tied the hands of teachers and parents. Praying teaches thankfulness and that we are all accountable to God and to each other for proper behavior.
You've neatly crystallized all of society's ills down to one gratuitous idyllic scenario. It is obvious why you did not address one single question proposed - because you would have to equivocate your position.

If 80% of Americans still identify as Christian, and have for that entire period you identify, then what does that say about Christianity's influence on the moral fiber of society? Of those 300% rise in divorces, a majority portion had to have been Christian. Every other item may be traced in some way to the breakdown of the nuclear family, and thus "the decline of morality". If it is as you say, these facts are also undeniable, therefore you yourself indict the alleged "Christian nation".

Here's the out for Christianity - it ain't nothin' as simple as you make out.

One thing about it - in fundamentalist Mideastern nations they do impose the very constraints you seem to pine for. They don't just pray to start the schoolday, they pray five times a day, and many teach nothing outside their version of the "Bible". And they've been killing each other, as well as innocents in the crossfire, over which God interpretation is "right" for centuries.

But lo! They sho' don't have the divorce rates, unwed birth rates, etc, etc, that you seem to think are the mark of a great society.

Which world do you want to live in?

Fremont, CA

#202853 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be a "defense" for murder in your world.
It's a reason in mine.
Insanity is a defense to murder in a court of law.

Dumbass.

Location hidden

#202854 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Not necessarily. But in Stalin's case, it reflected his atheism.
Hitler's direction reflected his Darwinism.
It's no mystery.
But I do appreciate the help.
The help really isn't for you.

I don't think you'll stop equivocating.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202855 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I just replaced a redwood deck with a new one, made of composite material (Trex is the company).
I love it.
Trex is an amazing product. Did you use their hidden fasteners system?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202856 Jan 14, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in Satan.
Believe "in"? No.

Believe "to exist"? Yes.

I'm honored to have corrected you.

Location hidden

#202858 Jan 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, you do have faith.
Not spiritual or religious faith, but faith nonetheless.
I have trust. That word doesn't need a qualifier.

If you don't add a qualifier to "faith" when you use it in this thread, I will always assume you mean religious faith. Most people will.

Either add a qualifier, or use the more appropriate word (trust). Failure to do so will demonstrate your intent to equivocate.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202859 Jan 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Insanity is a defense to murder in a court of law.
Dumbass.
The court of law is your world.

Your world has nothing to do with justice.

My world does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 28 min Brian_G 445,965
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr guest 653,701
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr thetruth 9,362
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,229
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Steve III 618,754
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr Thinking 63,446
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr DebraE 106,479
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr karl44 973,685
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 hr Pegasus 281,841
More from around the web