Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255520 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#202637 Jan 14, 2014
Locoman67 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had it for 8 years now and continue to succeed as a corporate network administrator. I bring culture to the manager meeting tables.
That's just precious.

Why don't you bring even more "culture" to the meetings?

At the next meeting, climb up on the table and take a shit.

Location hidden

#202638 Jan 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You work on computers right? Normally it's a job people do on their own and on-call. Why would there be a need for manager meetings? And how would you be bringing culture to the meeting? I'm assuming you aren't shirtless during them right?
In any event, I'm glad at least it didn't infringe on your career path. Still, if there was a list of bad ideas for a tatoo, that one across your chest would have to be up there no? I mean if atheism isn't even worth talking about because faith isn't worth talking about, how do you justify a chest-size tattoo of something not even worthy of discussion?
Are you sure you didn't mean "wouldn't that be funny if I got that tattooed across my chest?".
People, especially newer posters. sometimes tend to embellish for effect. I'm not saying you must have. It just seems hard to fathom someone not only thought it was a good idea at any point in time let alone still think so 8 years later to the extent that they wanted it to be the introduction post.
Inquiring minds wanna know:)
Well said.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202639 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Atheism provides plenty of direction. Stalin used it to find direction - he wanted an atheist state, and he pursued it with mass murder.
I've been an atheist most of my life, and it has never directed me to form an atheist state or to murder. That is true for all of the other atheists I have known as well.

If I ever change my mind on that, the impetus will have to come from elsewhere.
Greens - tuf

Australia

#202640 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The NDE is the most fascinating field of study I have ever delved into.
It pisses off the religious as well as the materialist.
The materialist is terrified by it, for obvious reasons.
The religious? Unbelievers aren't supposed to go to heaven.
Buck? He thinks both groups are wrong, so it suits.
Even eternity conspires to prove me right.:-)
You should try living with an interactive spirit / ghost.
You are correct though, the religious and materialist don't want to know about.
I could blow your mind with what I know as fact, but its more fun watching people on these threads spilling their egos with indoctrinated crap.
After 10 yrs of being on topix I have seen nobody get closer to the truth then Dave Nelson , he just needs to keep the Bible out of it and he will get even closer.
If you think we are pretty good in this form, well, I'll just say this ......... You ain't seen nothing yet !!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#202641 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what my belief system is. Instead, you do have a bigoted, ignorant view of anyone who disagrees with you. Heads up honey. Bigotry is not intelligence.
Why do you need to be dishonest if your position is valid?
You claimed the Jews suffered the same as others during the Black Plague. The site noted that the Jews received the bulk of the blame exactly because they did not suffer the same, and devotes a whole section ON HOW THEIR LAW PROTECTED THEM.
The deceit you guys use to defend your denial is amazing!
Smirk.
Ki...

All one has to do is read your posts to get a very good idea of what your belief system is. You are very transparent.

And I did not say the Jews suffered exactly the same. I said they suffered, too. I know that is subtle and you probably don't get it.

And quite frankly, the guy lost any credibility with me when he said that the Black Death was God's punishment of Europe. He clearly has an incredible religious bias toward Judaism, and just as clearly is engaging in Jewish apologetics. That throws everything he wrote there into doubt.

Come on, Ki. At least make an attempt to provide credible information. Don't just grab onto the first thing you see that says what you want to hear.

Actually, there isn't data to show whether the Jews suffered fewer deaths, more deaths of the same deaths in proportion to Christians.

From the Encyclopedia of the Black Death by Joseph Byrne...

Historians long argued whether Jewish communities suffered proportionately fewer plague deaths than did Christian ones during the Black Death due to Jewish patterns of diet and cleanliness; or both groups suffered more or less equally, as many contemporary sources indicate and most modern historians agree.

End quote

So there is little to no data on the subject. Claiming definitively that Jews suffered less is not warranted.

But the Jews still suffered along with their Christian neighbors.

As for the Jews being persecuted during the Black Death, I have no arguments there. It clearly happened, and it happened for the same reason that Pat Robertson blamed the gays for Katrina...they were looking for a scapegoat. Unfortunately for the Jews, they were an easy target.

All this death and suffering and Jesus didn't say one thing that could have alleviated some of it. Omniscient? Benevolent? Or just a human that was as ignorant as all the rest of us?

Fennario

#202642 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You show your ignorant inability to argue the Bible. You fail to note the general Hebrew term used most likely did not even refer to Hansen's disease.
The bible means whatever you want it to mean. There is virtually no position or its opposite that cannot be defended using vague bible verses translated and interpreted to tase.
KiMare wrote:
First the Alien radiation, now leprosy. Wonder what will be strike three?
Smile.
We wait with bated breath,
Greens - tuf

Australia

#202643 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a tattoo of your name without my knowledge and have never seen it?
That's pretty weird even for me.
I found his post to be a little creepy.

Fennario

#202644 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You certainly have failed to discount one simple passage.
Oops, make that two.
I've discounted the whole book.
KiMare wrote:
. How would you know? Smile.
I read it critically.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#202645 Jan 14, 2014
Greens - tuf wrote:
<quoted text>I found his post to be a little creepy.
Gaahhhh
Greens - tuf

Australia

#202646 Jan 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been an atheist most of my life, and it has never directed me to form an atheist state or to murder. That is true for all of the other atheists I have known as well.
If I ever change my mind on that, the impetus will have to come from elsewhere.
Hey , I have read many, many posts from atheists stating that we are all born atheists, and it is only after brainwashing that people are introduced to a "God".
But here you say "I've been an atheist most of my life"
You atheists sure do need to set some ground rules before getting on here.
A bit of collusion might be in order.

Fennario

#202647 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
a personal troll attack masquerading as intelligence. Still, no atheist rising to the simple explanation of optional passages. And this from a near senile old jack ass!
Man up or concede punk. SMirk.
What do you think your faith has done for you? Do you think that it has it made you a better person?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#202648 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Even though it has never been replicated or observed? Then why not abiogenesis?
It baffles me that people like RR and KM find the idea of whale evolution to be so incredible as to be ridiculous...nothing more than a fairy tale.

Yet when I look, I see sea otters that are mostly aquatic and very little different from their land bound cousins. I see seals that have a great many similarities to sea otters, but are better adapted to an aquatic life. I see manatees that are very similar to seals, but so well adapted to the ocean that they have completely divorced themselves from the land. And I see whales that are not that different in most aspect from manatees, yet even better adapted.

If one bothers to look, one actually sees a plausible progression from a land animal to a whale, exemplified by other species that are moving along the same path.

And the fossil record confirms that.

Yet they think the whole idea impossible (yet think that being created from dirt is perfectly logical). Go figure.

The other day, one of creationist asked me to explain why whales didn't evolve gills.

After posting a reply, it occurred to me that I should have asked a question in return..."If your God is perfect, why did he create whales without gills?"

Evolution can only work with what it starts with. God is supposed to be able to do anything.

Location hidden

#202649 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't see the distinction you're making here. The Court doesn't literally amend the language of the Constitution. It interprets it, sometimes taking great liberties in so doing.
It appears that it's not judicial activism per se that you actually object to, but particular applications of it. Me, too. I don't consider originalism the important principle that some do, probably because I don't see the intent of the framers as necessarily being preferable to that of contemporary jurists, meaning that I don't object to judicial activism per se either.
The issue seems to be one of progressivism versus conservatism, not of judicial activism versus originalism. Conservatives like Scalia invoke this principle when they see instances of liberal activism, but like you, are much less irritated by conservative activism. That's understandable. I'm the same in reverse. But none of us should invoke principles that we don't really respect.
There is no such thing as conservative judicial activism.

All judicial activism is liberal. When a conservative jurist commits activism, he is committing liberalism Conservatism embodies original intent and construction of the Constitution. When a conservative commits activism, he is being a judicial liberal.

The court DOES rewrite the Constitution when it renders a ruling opposite of what the Constitution says and intends. This is not "interpreting". The word "Congress" needs no interpretation.

Congress is the federal legislative body, by order of the Constitution. Courts who do rewrites are legislating, and it is a constitutional violation of separation of powers, along with usurping the rights of all citizens by removing the principle of consent of the governed, along with violating states' rights.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#202650 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The NDE is the most fascinating field of study I have ever delved into.
It pisses off the religious as well as the materialist.
The materialist is terrified by it, for obvious reasons.
The religious? Unbelievers aren't supposed to go to heaven.
Buck? He thinks both groups are wrong, so it suits.
Even eternity conspires to prove me right.:-)
BDEs prove as much about reality as LSD trips.

Fennario

#202651 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
LOL, a personal troll attack masquerading as intelligence. Still, no atheist rising to the simple explanation of optional passages. And this from a near senile old jack ass! Man up or concede punk. SMirk.
KiMare wrote:
Man up or quit playing. Smile.
KiMare wrote:
LOL, scoffing masquerading as intelligence? That's the best you can come up with? Sounds like a chicken concession to me... SMirk.
I'm guessing that the irony in your posting eludes you.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#202652 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
You can't put gods in a centrifuge.
Sure you can. You can fit all of them in a single test tube and spin it to your hearts content.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202653 Jan 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't talk with your mouth full, drongo!
Its not unusual for an obese female to project this sort of inference. In more ways than one.

Location hidden

#202654 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Really? Are you unaware of the conservative activism in the Court?
It doesn't exist.

"Conservative judicial activism" is a self-contradictory term.

Married bachelor.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202655 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Really? Are you unaware of the conservative activism in the Court?
I was quoting another however im really unaware of much. Anything particular I should know?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202656 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what cover up tatts are for, plus new tatt. Don't tell me the US is still backwards enough for tattoos to matter in the work place.
Backwards? Many have rendered themselves unemployable even if they really are stable persons underneath the tats piercings and pony tails.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Buck Crick 49,245
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 min Barnsweb 445,733
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Steve III 646,788
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 34 min Truthiness 26
Love or money 37 min Truthiness 2
Just HOW angry is Satan??? 56 min Truthiness 12
Choosing the best candidate 1 hr Kamal Hussain 10
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr Annaleigh 105,649
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr VIKING 971,782
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 12 hr taylorr 25
More from around the web