Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#202599 Jan 14, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever met anybody who got a tattoo of a girlfriend and then they break up and can't believe they were so stupid to get the tattoo?

Or someone who got wasted and got a tattoo they would have never gotten sober?

Or someone that got a tattoo that now prevents them from doing certain work-related things or they can't roll up their sleeves or go in a swimming pool around people who you need to consider you a professional?

If you run into any of those people, you are going to make them feel way better about themselves! In fact, you may be the all-time feel-good story for "hey it could've been worse" tattoo regrets. Millions of people may be forever in your debt:)
That's what cover up tatts are for, plus new tatt. Don't tell me the US is still backwards enough for tattoos to matter in the work place.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202600 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I think a corporation is not a person, but it is a legal agreement of persons for persons. I am less irritated by that ruling, since the Court did not actually take an amendment in the Bill of Rights and change the wording of it to something they liked better - as they did in religion cases.
I don't see the distinction you're making here. The Court doesn't literally amend the language of the Constitution. It interprets it, sometimes taking great liberties in so doing.

It appears that it's not judicial activism per se that you actually object to, but particular applications of it. Me, too. I don't consider originalism the important principle that some do, probably because I don't see the intent of the framers as necessarily being preferable to that of contemporary jurists, meaning that I don't object to judicial activism per se either.

The issue seems to be one of progressivism versus conservatism, not of judicial activism versus originalism. Conservatives like Scalia invoke this principle when they see instances of liberal activism, but like you, are much less irritated by conservative activism. That's understandable. I'm the same in reverse. But none of us should invoke principles that we don't really respect.
Greens - Tuf

Sydney, Australia

#202601 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what cover up tatts are for, plus new tatt. Don't tell me the US is still backwards enough for tattoos to matter in the work place.
True.
He could always change it if he ends up getting proof of a "God".

"god is a lie" across his chest.
And across his shoulder blades he could get,
"to non believers"

Fennario

#202602 Jan 14, 2014
Bongo wrote:
If you want to look at the history of how courts have revised the Constitution fraudulently, committing a usurpation of the powers of the people, you have to look at about 1960 and forward.

You have to look at liberals.
Really? Are you unaware of the conservative activism in the Court?

Fennario

#202603 Jan 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Nothing infinite can exist. It is impossible, by virtue of the term itself. For anything that exists in the universe , we can begin to count it, or quantify it. That proves it cannot be infinite. It's existence in the universe disproves it's infinity, no matter what item we are talking about. Why? Because we begin with a quantifiable presentment, it is finite, and no addition to it can reach infinite. Each addition becomes the next finite quantity, and so on, and so on. So if it exists, it is not infinite. Therefore, the infinite cannot exist.
I think that you have too narrow a view of what infinite means. You seem to be limiting it to infinitely many many material objects or infinitely massive objects. Such things might not exist, although we cannot rule out the possibility that there are infinitely many universes containing an infinite number of stars and galaxies by fiat.

Infinite just means unbounded, and also includes the infinitely small as well as the infinitely long both in terms of duration and distance. You like to mock the concept of a circular path being unbounded, but the simple fact is that is, even if one can be fashioned using a finite amount of asphalt or donut batter. Your objection came in the form of saying that no number of laps around such a path was an infinite distance, and that is correct, but the path is infinite.

Why is this an issue? You seem to care about it a lot.

Location hidden

#202604 Jan 14, 2014
Greens - Tuf wrote:
<quoted text>True.
He could always change it if he ends up getting proof of a "God".

"god is a lie" across his chest.
And across his shoulder blades he could get,
"to non believers"
Lol, yeah. Although, it's his call really, meanings tend to be personal.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#202605 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you get your tattoos finished ?

Fennario

#202606 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
If man is exclusively a product of nature and physical forces then there is no such thing as morality as you proclaim.
That is incorrect. There is nothing to stop man from having moral impulses and acting on them even in a godless, material universe.
Dave Nelson wrote:
He just does what is directed by the forces that sprang him into action.
How does that rule out moral sentiments?
Dave Nelson wrote:
What man makes is not artificial. It is just nature extended.
Why are you telling me? Did you think I thought otherwise?
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are confused, IANS. You seem to think man is holy and supernatural. Where ever could you come up with such a concept in this neighborhood of the Greater Universe and beyond?
For me, holy and supernatural are words without actual referents. I don't consider anything either.

I'm afraid that it is you that is confused, and likely anybody that tried to understand that last sentence of yours.

Location hidden

#202607 Jan 14, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Did you get your tattoos finished ?
Almost. Had a cover up on my arm too. Well overdue.

Fennario

#202608 Jan 14, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Like the earth itself, the amount of sand on the world's beaches cannot be weighed. Nor can its grains be counted one by one. If that is your definition of measurable, then you are correct. Yet we know the mass of the earth anyway, and we can estimate the number of grains of sand on the beaches of the earth to within an order of magnitude using sampling and extrapolating techniques. In that sense, most finite things are measurable.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Well, sure. You can make an enormous educated guess at how many grains of sand are on earth's beaches or the mass of the earth but they are, and will always be, a guess.
Disagree, unless by guess you mean any degree of uncertainty whatsoever. By that reckoning, you can't measure anything, since you may have miscounted or otherwise measured incorrectly.

Your understanding of measurement and knowledge are too limited. It is no mere "enormous educated guess" that the distance the earth travels orbiting the sun is 583,400,000 miles a year plus or minus a percent, even though nobody has ever taken a tape measure to it. We have measured that distance, and we know it to any degree of certainty you desire.

Are you aware that the distance to the moon can be measured so accurately that it has been determined that it is about 3.8 centimeters further from the earth this year than last? Is that an educated guess? You could say so. Much more educated than guess, though.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#202609 Jan 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You just did, right ^^there^^.
Jews don't say it is an alien with an unknown radiation emitting craft. Christians don't say it was an alien with an unknown radiation emitting craft. Muslims don't say it was an alien with an unknown radiation emitting craft.
The bible says it was their supernatural deity, the Yahweh.
The bible never says it was an alien in an unknown radiation emitting craft.
You do.
LOL,

Well clearly, you are positive there is no deities. Now you are arguing to call this being God? I love it when atheists want to argue facts about faith, but run like sissys when science pops up.

Or, are you asserting there are no aliens? The writer simply notes the being was not from earth. Or are you suggesting there was culture that produced the effects noted in the passage?

al·ien
[eyl-yuhn, ey-lee-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization (distinguished from citizen ).
a foreigner.
a person who has been estranged or excluded.
a creature from outer space; extraterrestrial.

PS You STILL have no rational explanation for the effects combined in context. Instead, you dumb down on what to call a visitor from another world.

Fennario

#202610 Jan 14, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
No, we don't "know" the mass of the Earth.
I do, within less than a percent.
Dave Nelson wrote:
It is estimated based upon assumed properties and forces that are constantly being revised.
The mass of the earth can be determined by measuring the acceleration of a falling body in a vacuum. Only one force is involved - gravity, the magnitude of which is given by Newtons graviational constant. The result is as accurate as the determination of Newton's constant, the weight of the falling body, and the time it takes to fall. These can be determined to a very high degree of accuracy.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Pretty much based upon our orbit based upon gravity ignoring the interplanetary magnetic fields and there interactions.
Pretty much not.

Location hidden

#202611 Jan 14, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>v.38
You're really not very good at this, are ya?
Leviticus 14:38 (NASB)
38 then the priest shall come out of the house, to the doorway, and quarantine the house for seven days.

You forgot, did he close all the glass windows too?

SMirk.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#202612 Jan 14, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost. Had a cover up on my arm too. Well overdue.
Cool !

Cover my name up ? LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#202613 Jan 14, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Disagree, unless by guess you mean any degree of uncertainty whatsoever. By that reckoning, you can't measure anything, since you may have miscounted or otherwise measured incorrectly.
Your understanding of measurement and knowledge are too limited. It is no mere "enormous educated guess" that the distance the earth travels orbiting the sun is 583,400,000 miles a year plus or minus a percent, even though nobody has ever taken a tape measure to it. We have measured that distance, and we know it to any degree of certainty you desire.
Are you aware that the distance to the moon can be measured so accurately that it has been determined that it is about 3.8 centimeters further from the earth this year than last? Is that an educated guess? You could say so. Much more educated than guess, though.
RR and a few others here can't tell the difference between "Educated Guess" and "Pulled an answer out of my ass." They are very good at the latter, not even close to the former.

Location hidden

#202614 Jan 14, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, "you guys", which in this context meant "Christians". I thought anyone with half a brain would know that.
As for Jesus "fulfilling the Law", that really is open to interpretation. And a lot of Christian interpret it to mean "replaced the old Law". That way they can eat cheeseburgers with a clear conscience.
As for the link...thanx for the laugh. So now the Black Death was God's punishment? Is there anything bad that happens that you won't say is God's punishment for something? If I stub my toe, is God punishing me because there is a gay man living in San Francisco?
And isn't God's punishment supposed to come in the afterlife? Not this life? If God is going to punish people in this life, why didn't he punish Stalin? Stalin lived to be 76. A ripe old age for someone born in 1878. And nothing much bad happened to him during his life. And if anyone deserved to be spanked by God, it was Stalin. Nasty, nasty fellow. Of the Nastiest People in History, Stalin has to rank in the top 10. But no sign of divine punishment there.
The things "you guys" will believe is amazing.
You have no idea what my belief system is. Instead, you do have a bigoted, ignorant view of anyone who disagrees with you. Heads up honey. Bigotry is not intelligence.

Why do you need to be dishonest if your position is valid?

You claimed the Jews suffered the same as others during the Black Plague. The site noted that the Jews received the bulk of the blame exactly because they did not suffer the same, and devotes a whole section ON HOW THEIR LAW PROTECTED THEM.

The deceit you guys use to defend your denial is amazing!

Smirk.
Toby

Manassas, VA

#202615 Jan 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL,
Well clearly, you are positive there is no deities. Now you are arguing to call this being God? I love it when atheists want to argue facts about faith, but run like sissys when science pops up.
Or, are you asserting there are no aliens? The writer simply notes the being was not from earth. Or are you suggesting there was culture that produced the effects noted in the passage?
al·ien
[eyl-yuhn, ey-lee-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization (distinguished from citizen ).
a foreigner.
a person who has been estranged or excluded.
a creature from outer space; extraterrestrial.
PS You STILL have no rational explanation for the effects combined in context. Instead, you dumb down on what to call a visitor from another world.
KiMare likes to call everyone a sissy, our anti-anal crusader is overcompensating for something, and we can guess what it is. Debating about Biblical scripture is like debating about invisible men or celestial vacuum cleaners, who every really thought religion was authenticated or credible in the first place? What a bufoon
Toby

Manassas, VA

#202616 Jan 14, 2014
I like KiMare though he is incredibly entertaining and highly predictable, and I don't really think he's a buffoon, he's just a really opinionated fundamentalist goofball

Location hidden

#202617 Jan 14, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Cool !

Cover my name up ? LOL
I got a tattoo of your name without my knowledge and have never seen it?

That's pretty weird even for me.

Fennario

#202618 Jan 14, 2014
How could a sincere, moral, intelligent person educated in Christian doctrine fail for over five years?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Did you ever feel remorseful about your sins? Did you ever truly believe that sins exist? Did you ever ask forgiveness for sin(s)?
Of course. I told you that I was sincere and aware of Christian doctrine.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I didn't say it was your failure. I specifically said it wasn't your fault.
Whose fault was it?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
To what promises are you referring?
What does the bible promise? What does a sincere and faithful believer have a right to expect in this life?

Peace, for one. "But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear of harm.”- Proverbs 1:33. How many devout Christians have this?

Power for another "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain,'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." - Matthew 17:20

In any event, I saw no evidence of any supernatural influence in my life. There was no evidence of any holy spirit in my life. Consider the area of biblical discernment. I expected that with faith and time, the apparent absurdities and contradictions in Christian doctrine would be resolved.

They're always moving the goalpost once you are in Christianity. The bible is full of promises to lure you in, but when they don't materialize, you are told how you failed or misunderstood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min Tellthetruth 995,195
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr Bonk 72,993
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 4 hr Doctor REALITY 161
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 hr Chuck 699,665
Hot Sale Nike Mercurial Superfly V Soccer Cleat... 7 hr newsoccercleats 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 7 hr Dang Jersey Piney 447,509
Any gay / bi guys wanna sext (Apr '12) 7 hr George Jospeh 23