Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jim

Cambridge, UK

#202274 Jan 13, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Challenge it on the grounds of interstate commerce or the common good.
The government has a right to limit activities that can be harmful to the maintenance of the nation or public good by improper use of resources. Personal decisions of whether to continue the process of creating a resource the nation needs to stay a viable entity providing for the good of all can lead to the supply of such resource being reduced or even eliminated. People are the prime resource for humankind. They can't live without them.
The act of creating was initiated voluntarily in most cases. Such usually then draws upon public resources in some fashion, such as pre-natal care, which I believe is a given under Obamacare. I believe termination is also included, as is prevention. Prevention allows for personal choice before drawing upon public resources.
The child is needed for future taxes and support of the whole. Society has an investment in its production that trumps the ill conceived actions of the individual that initiated the process.
It isn't a matter of personal liberty, it is a matter of survival of the species.
There is probably a considerable body of law already in practice that has supported similar legislation, and even in advancement of your social agendas.
Cults like Creationism have lied to people for so long, they have lost the respect of everyone.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#202275 Jan 13, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Challenge it on the grounds of interstate commerce or the common good.
The government has a right to limit activities that can be harmful to the maintenance of the nation or public good by improper use of resources. Personal decisions of whether to continue the process of creating a resource the nation needs to stay a viable entity providing for the good of all can lead to the supply of such resource being reduced or even eliminated. People are the prime resource for humankind. They can't live without them.
The act of creating was initiated voluntarily in most cases. Such usually then draws upon public resources in some fashion, such as pre-natal care, which I believe is a given under Obamacare. I believe termination is also included, as is prevention. Prevention allows for personal choice before drawing upon public resources.
The child is needed for future taxes and support of the whole. Society has an investment in its production that trumps the ill conceived actions of the individual that initiated the process.
It isn't a matter of personal liberty, it is a matter of survival of the species.
There is probably a considerable body of law already in practice that has supported similar legislation, and even in advancement of your social agendas.
Athiests often wonder why Creationist Cult Members can't swallow their pride and admit god isn't real and that they have no proof.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#202276 Jan 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
So thinking for one's self eludes you?
Nice reactive non-thinking response. You are doing well. Primed for Topix atheism 102.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#202277 Jan 13, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am very familiar with Story. I acquired learning in Story Hall.
Stare decisis is adherence to court precedent, not to Constitutional language.
And stare decisis is not binding--the supreme Court may reassess, just as some today want the Supreme Court to do on Roe v. Wade. Do you?
In other words, if the court determines a prior decision got it wrong, it so decides. Do you think the court got it right on abortion? If not, what can be done--under our system?
"Stare decisis is adherence to court precedent, not to Constitutional language.'

Do you think you are pointing out a distinction here??

The precedent I have been referring to was "court precedent" on "Constitutional language.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#202278 Jan 13, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice reactive non-thinking response. You are doing well. Primed for Topix atheism 102.
You can't answer his question and simply look foolish.
Jim

Cambridge, UK

#202279 Jan 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Stare decisis is adherence to court precedent, not to Constitutional language.'
Do you think you are pointing out a distinction here??
The precedent I have been referring to was "court precedent" on "Constitutional language.
Reminder:
Other Verified Creationist Cult Members active on the Topix Atheism forum:
1.Buck Crick (Convicted Felon)
2. Riverside Redneck (Cult Member)
3. LCNin (Paid Propogandist / Educated What )
4. Bongo (LCNin sock puppet / Cult Member)
5. Dave Nelson (Creationist Cult Member)
6. Eagle 12 (Creationist Cult Member)
7. antiatheist (LCNin sock puppet)
8. transdiode (LCNin sock puppet)
9. number 4 / number four (Creationist Cult Member / Comment Spammer)
Please share and warn others. Creationist Cult Members are active on the Topix Forum and employing the following propoganda techniques:
1. Religious Article Spamming
2. Conversation Diverting
3. False Personal accounts of religious conversions
4. Political Lobbying (Anti-Abortion, Anti-Science, Anti-Atheist)
5. Judge Icon Spamming (programatic downvoting)
6. Playing Victim (anger an Atheist deliberately then use 2 comment out of context as an example)
7. Aligning Atheism dishonestly with unrelated ideologies (often religious ) Stalinism, Maoism, etc.
8. False / diverted /debate / conversation - changing the topic to Love, Philosophy, Criticism of Evolition (there is no valid criticism backed by evidence)
Please be warned that ALL of these Creationist Cult Member & Propoganda Techniques are being used in this forum.

La Veta, CO

#202281 Jan 13, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't answer his question and simply look foolish.
I envy you. The batteries powering your brain must last forever.

How ever can you do that?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#202282 Jan 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha!!
Spontaneous generation was taught as fact for nearly 2,000 years.
But it was never a fact.
I bring it up because I wonder what "facts" we're being taught today that will be discovered aren't facts.
That's called a "Learning Curve".

What has religion learned? EVER???

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#202283 Jan 13, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminder:
Please share and warn others. Creationist Cult Members are active on the Topix Forum and employing the following propoganda techniques:
6. Playing Victim (anger an Atheist deliberately then use 2 comment out of context as an example)
7. Aligning Atheism dishonestly with unrelated ideologies (often religious ) Stalinism, Maoism, etc.
8. False / diverted /debate / conversation - changing the topic to Love, Philosophy, Criticism of Evolition (there is no valid criticism backed by evidence)
Please be warned that ALL of these Creationist Cult Member & Propoganda Techniques are being used in this forum.
Keeping track? LOL! Get a life.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202284 Jan 13, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why don't christians pay attention to them at all? You 're so full of sh!t.
you were a poor disciplined one, many are. It takes diligence and a soft heart.. Regardless of the human condition, the faithful are saved. All their transgression pardoned, much to the chagrin of the non believer.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#202285 Jan 13, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you trying to convince? Atheists just don't believe your lies anymore.
so what ,stfu. if youre offered a gift and you refuse it, who does it belong to?

The Borderland of Sol

#202286 Jan 13, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, Mac Nuggets.
The clause prohibits Congress making a law for an established religion, which means a national church.
How does "Congress" apply to any legislative body?
When a local school district in a state allows a voluntary prayer,...
What "law" did they make, and how did Congress do it?
You want some sauce with those fiction nuggets you just swallowed?
Pfft.

Voluntary prayer has never been banned in any school I know of - do you know differently?

And I've "established" a religion all my own. No Congress required.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202287 Jan 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The amount of sand on the beach is finite.
It is immeasurable, although finite.
Like the earth itself, the amount of sand on the world's beaches cannot be weighed. Nor can its grains be counted one by one. If that is your definition of measurable, then you are correct.

Yet we know the mass of the earth anyway, and we can estimate the number of grains of sand on the beaches of the earth to within an order of magnitude using sampling and extrapolating techniques. In that sense, most finite things are measurable.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#202288 Jan 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Haha!!
Spontaneous generation was taught as fact for nearly 2,000 years.
But it was never a fact.
I bring it up because I wonder what "facts" we're being taught today that will be discovered aren't facts.

[QUOTE who="macumazahn"] That's called a "Learning Curve".
What has religion learned? EVER???
Respond to the last sentence, please.

Everyone always avoids that FACT.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202289 Jan 13, 2014
Jim wrote:
Reminder:
Film at 11...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#202290 Jan 13, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Like the earth itself, the amount of sand on the world's beaches cannot be weighed. Nor can its grains be counted one by one. If that is your definition of measurable, then you are correct.
Yet we know the mass of the earth anyway, and we can estimate the number of grains of sand on the beaches of the earth to within an order of magnitude using sampling and extrapolating techniques. In that sense, most finite things are measurable.
Well, sure. You can make an enormous educated guess at how many grains of sand are on earth's beaches or the mass of the earth but they are, and will always be, a guess.

It's like I said, just because something is finite doesn't mean it's measurable.

The Borderland of Sol

#202291 Jan 13, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck thinks he can make stuff up and call it truth.
He doesn't realize that law isn't like religion.
He is demonstrably wrong but to stupid to know it.
*sigh*

And also :-Þ

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#202292 Jan 13, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Thanks, but that has all been covered.
By the way, that was another version of you-must-have-been-doing-it-wr ong. I wasn't. There was nothing for me there. I have no doubt that the teaching is false.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If you were never remorseful of your sins then I'd have to say you did it wrong. I wouldn't consider that your fault, though. You were only following the lead of the church you attended.
If. And yet another version of you-must-have-been-doing-it-wr ong, something you already apologized for doing once, but have done twice since.

How could a sincere, moral, intelligent person educated in Christian doctrine fail for over five years? You are free to continue seeing that as my failure. More likely, you are not free to see it any other way. But I am, and do. The promises made in the Christian bible simply were not kept.

La Veta, CO

#202293 Jan 13, 2014
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_n...

You may need an account to read the whole article.

It is about over 500 billion dollars over the next 10 years to maintain and cleanup nuclear storage and development.

It is not a pretty picture of how things have been done.

Ain't science grand? Can turn money into comfortable livings for scientists and academics. One could believe it was magic.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#202294 Jan 13, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Satanists aren't asking to put up a religious monument.
The 1st Amendment doesn't apply.
Ah...I see...you are the one to determine what is and is not religion.

Is that how it works?

And the satanists aren't the only ones that have requested a monument be allowed. A Hindu group has made a request to erect a statue of Hanuman, their monkey god. And the godbots on the Oklahoma legislature are frothing at the mouth over that almost as much as the satanist request.

Are you going to tell me Hinduism isn't a religion either?

Besides, by allowing a Christian monument to be erected, they have made the lawn of the state capitol. It doesn't matter if the sponsoring group is a religion or not. In a public forum, anyone is supposed to be allowed representation. That is freedom of speech. If the legislature only allows the Christian monument, then it becomes an Establishment Clause issue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min whatgod 991,933
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Chicagoan by Birth 51,701
Who are you voting for March 24th.. City council?? 11 min Joejowiseman 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Michael 693,160
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 42 min Peter Ross 445,966
when will i be able to dip after wisdom teeth r... (Jan '13) 1 hr bigLips 27
THE WHITAKER FAMILY of ODD, WV (Sep '11) 1 hr They eat people 81
More from around the web