Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243214 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198881 Jan 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I've heard.The church teaches it as well. It's a problem for gay people, and I predict that it will become a problem for the church.
The solution is to teach people to ignore that bible. And you know how we have to go about doing that. We have to teach that the church damages people based on faith in an ancient book that describes a harshly judgmental god.
The argument against homophobia becomes an argument against faith and an argument against the likelihood of the god of brutal, nomadic ancients, and an appeal to rational, compassionate ethics instead. I think you know how that is likely to play out.
By the way, where does the bible teach that Christians should demean,demonize or marginalize gays? Where does it teach that you should interfere with their ability to marry?
The Bible doesn't teach that.

Most churches and preachers don't, either.

You hate Christianity based on the lunatic acts of a very small percentage of Christians.

There's a word for that...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198882 Jan 4, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
Some would say the reasons someone commits a crime doesn't matter and the standard of justice should be objective. I would disagree.
Consider two examples:
1) Someone kills someone for their expensive sunglasses
2) Someone kills someone who raped their child
To me there has to be something in-between jury nullification and both people getting the same penalty
Just to reinforce the earlier discussion on types of moral theory for those interested, you are now comparing denotological ethics - rule based ethics - which considers obedience to a categorical imperative the highest good, and virtue ethics, which judge the morality of an act by motivations and intentions. The third category was consequentialism, which judges the morality of actions by outcomes.

"Categorical imperative -... an unconditional moral law that applies to all rational beings and is independent of any personal motive or desire."
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/categorical+...

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198883 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
So you believe that Jesus was "God", but you're not a Christian?
Of God.

Not like how you would understand.

I'm a little universal.

You read words to learn, and not worship them.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198884 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So correctly putting words in your mouth would be OK?
Yes. It is called "quoting".

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198885 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of these Topix Atheists! remind me of that dumb girl in the insurance commercial...
"They can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true."
Well, we're talking about Daewin's StumpHump.

He's way dumber than the girl on the commercial.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#198886 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
So you believe that Jesus was "God", but you're not a Christian?
LOL

Sheep in wolves clothing ?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#198887 Jan 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not aware that gays could not donate blood. The goal was never to discriminate but to make sure the blood supply stayed safe.
Been one for thirty years. Men who have sex with men.[MSM]

http://news.msn.com/us/despite-pressure-ban-o...

According to the FDA, men who have had sex with other men represent about 2 percent of the U.S. population, yet accounted for at least 61 percent of all new HIV infections in the U.S. in 2010.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198888 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
I did as well. But I also thought that sex with girls was gross until I reached a certain stage of maturity. It was then that my social support system - parents,friends, and maybe teachers - let me know which one I was wrong about. I'm pretty sure that if gay sex were encouraged, I would have done that and changed in my attitudes there. Why wouldn't I have?
<quoted text>
I still am extremely uncomfortable with the act itself

Then again, there are things straight couples do I am just as uncomfortable with. I would rather not list them but i will simply call them fetishes.

I simply don't see that changing. I am no prude. think sex is healthy. I simply don't think I will ever be able to think of a man going down on another man and not cringing.

But I would assume a lot of gay men find straight sex repulsive. But It is not like I am saying it makes any difference in how people should be treated. Basically I have one standard as far as society and that is if someone isn't breaking the law or hurting anyone, they deserve the same equal rights and treatment as anyone else
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#198889 Jan 4, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
She's definitely a she.
What makes you think we haven't?
You apparently have never looked under her/his hood.

If you have don’t tell me

Fennario

#198890 Jan 4, 2014
Edited for space
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Here are a few of the other rules in Leviticus.

15:19
“‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

19:9
9 “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest.
Have you seen this from http://www.ariel.com.au/jokes/Dr_Laura_and_Le... ?

["Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality, who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. She recently said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination, according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura which was posted on the Internet.]

"Dear Dr. Laura

"Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

[1] Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

[2] I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? She is 6 years old, healthy, and very smart. She doesn't want to be a slave, so that might be a problem.

[3] I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19 24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

[4] When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

[5] I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

[6] A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

[7] Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear contact lenses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

[8] Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though Lev. 19 expressly forbids this: How should they die?

[9] I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves? What should we do with the NFL?

[10] My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

You are a great prophet and I will go to my grave remembering that you were among the very few who placed the blame for 9/11 where it truly belonged: on abortionists, gays and lesbians. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#198891 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"RR has admitted to beating his wife and abusing his children." -Ben
BenAssFucked, you are a liar.
Most everyone here knows that you admitted to it.

You your were proud that you spanked your baby for embarrassing you in public and were proud of hitting your wife because you claim she bit you first.

I never struck a woman or a child in my entire life. You called me a coward for that stance.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#198892 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. You changed my life.
.. you're welcome ..

.. was it the slip knots ??..

“How You Treat Me”

Determines How I Treat You

#198893 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism refers to gods, not religions.
Whatever.
Poor Buck, still getting it wrong. How does it take faith not to believe in something as ludicrous as your god?
Nice mug shot, by the way. They still giving you that lime jell-o with the damn bananas in it?

Location hidden

#198894 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It is called "quoting".
No, quoting you is not putting words in your mouth.

"Putting words in your mouth" means substituting other words for your words.

Hope I have helped you.

Fennario

#198895 Jan 4, 2014

By the way, the last sentence is not an essential part of the oath. According to Army Regulation 601-210 Chapter 6-18, it's optional.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's for an enlisting officer who'd rather affirm than swear the oath.
pg84
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_210.pdf
It took too long to load. Maybe you can quote the part you cared about.
What's its proud history? What would have to be the case for [the oath's] history to be either proud or shameful?
< crickets chirping >

I agree. None.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#198896 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but she makes a noose really well.
I mean really, really, really well......
.. most women do ..

“How You Treat Me”

Determines How I Treat You

#198897 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism refers to gods, not religions.
Besides, Buckey, your religion *is* your god.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198898 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
Just to reinforce the earlier discussion on types of moral theory for those interested, you are now comparing denotological ethics - rule based ethics - which considers obedience to a categorical imperative the highest good, and virtue ethics, which judge the morality of an act by motivations and intentions. The third category was consequentialism, which judges the morality of actions by outcomes.
"Categorical imperative -... an unconditional moral law that applies to all rational beings and is independent of any personal motive or desire."
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/categorical+...
Interesting

I had been meaning to work my way back to your first post on that

I think these different systems deserve study

I personally think each system has some good ideas and could be pulled to form a justice system whose actual goal was to see justice done. Not simply protect the status quo or make money or punish but actual justice

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#198899 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the atheist who thinks they are the standard for truth?
Give an example.
mtimber wrote:
Does that not make them God?
You haven't defined the concept of whatever it is you are referring to when you say >god< and/or how truth only comes from that poorly defined theistic god concept.

Fennario

#198900 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
The God who's morality you appeal to when you make any moral judgement, God by definition has to be singular in nature to be God.
I don't appeal to gods singular or plural. Where are they? All I see are words alleged to have originated with gods but written and spoken by men. Do men ever lie about such things?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Lives MATTER 2 min RFD 17
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Tide with Beach 854,059
The Christian Atheist debate 8 min HipGnosis 786
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 9 min vishnu 7,332
cleaning black dollar \ cleaning black currency... (Sep '12) 19 min Dr Abdullah Saleh 78
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min Dan 595,970
Why do blacks name their children ridiculous na... (Sep '08) 32 min RFD 246
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 100,732
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Legendary Karma 444,172
More from around the web