Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198611 Jan 3, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, genius, that's why its illegal.
That, of course, and the fact that the vast majority of humans aren't sociopaths.
I do, however, wonder about the religious people on here who would apparently go on murder sprees if it weren't for their god.
Scary bunch of people.
Yeah Poindexter, history has shown us 148 million have died by communistic regimes that embraced Atheism as a part of their ideology. Too bad they didn’t believe in God.

This is why you need to have a long pony tail on your head. It comes in handy when it comes time to pull your head out of your *ss. And for crying out loud when you hear a loud “POP,” don’t ask,“What the hell was that?”

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198612 Jan 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
1700 years of atrocities by Christianity supports you.
--The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century.

--The historical record of collective atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst year.

--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198613 Jan 3, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, genius, that's why its illegal.
That, of course, and the fact that the vast majority of humans aren't sociopaths.
I do, however, wonder about the religious people on here who would apparently go on murder sprees if it weren't for their god.
Scary bunch of people.
--The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century.

--The historical record of collective atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst year.

--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#198614 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Poindexter, history has shown us 148 million have died by communistic regimes that embraced Atheism as a part of their ideology. Too bad they didn’t believe in God.
This is why you need to have a long pony tail on your head. It comes in handy when it comes time to pull your head out of your *ss. And for crying out loud when you hear a loud “POP,” don’t ask,“What the hell was that?”
In other words, you were completely incorrect about your prior statements.

Yes, we know...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198615 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for the error,[tipping hat]
No problem

:)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#198616 Jan 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!
Now, where is the proof of this deity YOU claim exists.
If you had taken the time to read the posts leading up to the one you jumped in on you would not be in the position of backtracking. Produce the post where I make any claims.

Location hidden

#198617 Jan 3, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
***yet another allegedgod bot malfunctioning***
Yes yes, keep repeating that, you never know, if you write it enough times, the Scientific community might pay attention.
Pathetic and laughable is about all that comes to mind.
Self absorbed much?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#198618 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
I don't believe you, prove it.
Write all their names and how, why, who, when and where.

Location hidden

#198619 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we need to confess something God already knows, and knew we would do before we did it?
What happens if you die committing the sin, before you have a chance to ask forgiveness?
If God could cleanse you from all unrighteousness, why would he not cleanse you when he made you, and save a lot of suffereing?
God is responsible for our sin. He created us, placed us in a world of sin, which is appealing and available, and he made us with the proclivity to commit sin.
Why would he create a problem just to show he could solve it, but only after damaging consequences occur?
Is it conspicuous to you that this message has been perpetuated by men in groups that profited from that alleged need to restore communion with God by a forgiveness process, as they operated something called a "church", which was the exclusive provider?
If Adam is to blame, what in hell does that have to do with me?
Are you aware this salvation plan is utter nonsense?
Are you aware that this vicarious atonement through Jesus plan was fought by the followers of Jesus he left behind, who apparently didn't think Jesus taught any such thing, and they were the closest persons to him?
It says there is no condemnation for those IN CHRIST. In John 15
It explains how we remain in Christ through obedience. The goal is to be perfect as the Father is perfect. But when we fail to do that it is faithfulness and obedience that keeps us covered by the Sacrifice. It is not so much repenting every sin so much as living a life that includes allowing ourselves to be convicted by the Spirit when we sin. Repentance is naturally ongoing for those who want to obey the commandments out of love. And as explained in the parable of the Good Samaritan, following the two greatest commandments is why someone will live eternally.

What sources are you using that led you to conclude Jesus did not teach atonement? Even the OT says the man who repents his wicked ways and returns to The Lord is who God will have mercy on

What followers claim otherwise and what says that?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198620 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if I were certain, I wouldn't shoot myself in the head.
What would be the hurry?......
You were the one claiming life sucks: "nasty, brutish".

If you "believe" there s an alternative then"prove" it by going there.

You don't believe in afterlife any more the atheists believe in deities.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#198621 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>Pathetic and laughable is about all that comes to mind.
Self absorbed much?
Ah, that didn't take long.

The ever loving words of a christian.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#198622 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
Pathetic and laughable is about all that comes to mind.
Self absorbed much?
I think it's impossible to be any more self absorbed than it is for people, otherwise known as Christians, and a few other variations of theists, who think the entire universe was created just for them, and they are the most important thing the universe has contained within it.

Location hidden

#198623 Jan 3, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, that didn't take long.
The ever loving words of a christian.
Save your very transparent and tired nonsense for someone else.
Your one size fits all crap doesn't fly here.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198624 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them
We can add moron to liar and coward as perfect words to describe you.

Are you sure that is an ankle monitor and not a straight jacket you are wearing ?

Location hidden

#198625 Jan 3, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's impossible to be any more self absorbed than it is for people, otherwise known as Christians, and a few other variations of theists, who think the entire universe was created just for them, and they are the most important thing the universe has contained within it.
Well we are all entitled to our opinions. Unfortunately some clowns see fit to paint everyone with the same brush using the same tired old tried and tested lines.Its a game.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198626 Jan 3, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you were completely incorrect about your prior statements.
Yes, we know...
In other words you're clueless, yes we know.

Have you tried to get a job?

You could wash dishes with a little direction and oversight. Always remember to use fresh water each day. It's not cool to wash today's dishes in last weeks water.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#198628 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>Well we are all entitled to our opinions. Unfortunately some clowns see fit to paint everyone with the same brush using the same tired old tried and tested lines.Its a game.
Is that what you call the way you speak to a complete stranger, a game?

Did you learn it in Sunday school?

Location hidden

#198629 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Why would we need to confess something God already knows, and knew we would do before we did it?”
Why would a husband need to confess to his wife he had been cheating? She knows he had been cheating. He knows that she knows he has been cheating. Everybody knows but with the confession comes the healing because without it the healing won’t ever come. It’s one thing to be a cheat and another to be a liar and a cheat.
“What happens if you die committing the sin, before you have a chance to ask forgiveness?”
That is up to the Judge.
“If God could cleanse you from all unrighteousness, why would he not cleanse you when he made you, and save a lot of suffering?”
Babies are born with a clean slate. But given enough time they will learn about what is right and wrong. Some will do more wrong than is right. With Christ we have a chance to start over again. It’s called being born again through repentance. It’s like a deep cleansing of the hard drive, starting over again with a clean slate.
“God is responsible for our sin. He created us, placed us in a world of sin, which is appealing and available, and he made us with the proclivity to commit sin.”
Romans 5:
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ
Why would he create a problem just to show he could solve it, but only after damaging consequences occur?
Why would men choose to go to the moon?“Not because it was easy but because it was hard.” JFK.
The Apollo 1 burned on the launch pad with three astronauts inside died. Was the damage so great to abandon the moon mission?
God loves to tinker around in his garage doing the most difficult task.
“Are you aware this salvation plan is utter nonsense?”
Excuse me, I’ll take a ticket to heaven.
Are you aware that this vicarious atonement through Jesus plan was fought by the followers of Jesus he left behind, who apparently didn't think Jesus taught any such thing, and they were the closest persons to him?
What??? Yo my man, you need a hard reboot.
Excellent post. I cut some of the scripture so I had room to respond. But like it says in James, God does not tempt any man to sin. And like Paul wrote, we are always given a way out of temptation. Man has free will and choice. He is can choose to do the right thing. I particularly liked how you explained the healing process that comes with repenting.

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#198630 Jan 3, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I can't think of anything more pathetic and futile than threatening to hit people online.
Except maybe threatening people with imaginary hell.
I'm sure no one is shaking in their boots.
They'd need very long Warwicks, that's all I can say.
:D

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#198631 Jan 3, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. wisdom comes with awareness, awakening from a slumber ..
.. most people enjoy sleeping, makes life less difficult ..
<quoted text>
.. you know true wisdom when you read, hear, see or experience it. Something resonates in your inner life, a feeling of being alive, a connection with 'what is'..
.. to find wisdom, we must observe the best and worse that humans and the universe offer. For me, it's not about becoming a better person - it's about becoming, whatever that may be ..
.. I find Topix fascinating because it gives me the opportunity to observe, to learn. Why do you enjoy Topix? Is there an ultimate goal? If so, what is it ??..
I enjoy it because you can "hear" people's opinions, that you would otherwise not share in and have conversations ditto. And I'll admit, I enjoy a good online argument sometimes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Maria 24,997
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 48 min Gabriel 985,607
Anyone know any good deals from NoKeys? 57 min NOKEYS 2
News Gov. Abbott suggests 'bathroom bill' is likely ... 3 hr Laredo 4
Got any good jokes?? (Mar '07) 3 hr juliakk 1,831
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Michael 685,540
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 5 hr RiccardoFire 46,286
More from around the web