Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198431 Jan 2, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
My father used to say that Paul's wife divorced him after he became a Christian @ Damascus. I don't know where he got that one from, but it's interesting.
It's a good explanation of Paul's misogyny and bitterness.
Unless one understands that Paul is a human being just like every other author of 'scripture' then IMHO one is being misled .

They are not Gods and certainly not perfect. They are simply passing on their own opinions and traditions. They do not agree with each other, contain errors, contradictions and even fabrications. They are 'living documents' of the evolution and change of Judea-Christian beliefs over several centuries.

As such, they are historically valuable like Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto and The Declaration of Independence. "The Perfect Word of God" they are not.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198432 Jan 2, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have respected you, Buck, despite your opten extreme views.
But please don't be a total lunatic.
Buck comes out of the gate looking like a winner but near the finish line he does a spastic dance and falls down.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#198434 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
McCarthy wasn't going after people for a disagreement.
He was seeking to out communist infiltration.
His name being used as a pejorative seems to be the thing you say you want to avoid - branding people as some sort of traitor because of a disagreement.
Perhaps you can think of a better example, rather than one based on folklore.
I disagree. McCarthy was seeking political power. The communist witch hunts he initiated were merely an means to that end.

And IMHO it is quite right to associate his name with witch hunts that in the end destroy innocent people's lives. After all, that is exactly what he did.

But then, this is just another case of the right wing trying to rewrite history. McCarthy was one of their own and they desperately want to sanitize his legacy.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#198435 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the other guy's first swing is almost always a right, and when he misses I come over it with a left, then follow with a hard and heavy right.
Then it's usually over.
Buck suffers from CDO. That is just like OCD except it is in alphabetical order.

(You might notice that Buck, as usual, resorts to references of physical violence in his analogies.)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198436 Jan 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Paul was also a homosexual. Well...maybe Saul.
I don't think Buck was. He just wanted jello.
We just don't know but I have wondered myself about that.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198437 Jan 2, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Rubbish lies.
No body rattled your cage so stop your growling.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198438 Jan 2, 2014
Bongo wrote:
You too. I applaud the civility or perhaps the wisdom of secular humanism, I know you still think skomby is a sack o shit but you patronize him to keep the peace and to keep everyone from fleeing the room. I think Buck is catching on to the method too.
Not so about how I feel about Skombolis. And I am not patronizing him. Nor am I concerned about chasing people out of thread.

Buck seems to be working on the same problem as I am/was, and I applaud him for that. He is still willing to get into it with some posters. I guess I am, too.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198439 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate the kindness, Eagle.
My record is for beating up people, robbing drug dealers (after I beat them up), and small things like that, mostly. I did get a few armed robbery raps for robbing banks and a couple of Winn-Dixies. Always like that store. The produce is usually fresh.
Hope is the burning embers of faith.

By the way I did watch your testimony which I thought was very good.

[tipping hat]

Fennario

#198440 Jan 2, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> In my youth I was an accomplished bagel and bialy maker. I worked at the best bagel place for miles around. We had all the best fish, baked products etc. I was a tireless 6'8'' worker . 16 hour days were common . Handled 200lb bags of flour effortlessly. After letting me work Christmas I was invited to the boss' house for a new years party. Got one of those envelopes where you can see the face of the ten dollar bill. It was my last day, I quit. Wasn't that many years later, I owned the whole shopping center. Great tenants, theyre still there. One of the owners son, murdered him because he wasn't being spoiled enough. The case gained world notoriety. http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogalle...
Interesting.

On the same page you linked us to was a link to a news story about a young girl that was apparently abducted by somebody named Dave in Colorado.

"The 16-year-old girl went missing for 36 hours after leaving a Facebook message stating that she felt scared and wanted someone to call police, according to CBS Denver. At about 8 a.m., authorities got a call from someone who said they knew Dave -- the same man who Shepherd said she was with before she went missing. "
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/jess...

Fennario

#198441 Jan 2, 2014
LuciFerr wrote:
Should be fun. I don't often feel willing to pander to a group of people who display such appalling behaviour.
I understand.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198442 Jan 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I recorded two episodes of that show and couldn't get through five minutes of either.
I have only seen one full episode. It was funny but other shows I like better. Lately I watch "Moonshiners." It's about illegal making of Moonshine. I don't drink and never have but I did distill millions of gallons of ethanol while working in a chemical plant. I guess that's why I'm interested.

Other shows I like is Storage Wars Texas and Pawn Stars.

Fennario

#198443 Jan 2, 2014
And Bob's your uncle.
Buck Crick wrote:
OOOwwwww... That's a low blow, I-man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_unc...
Buck Crick wrote:
You should emulate my paradigm.
Which paradigm is that, Buck?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198444 Jan 2, 2014
<quoted text>
Thanks for that.
"The U.S. birth rate grew every year from 2003 to 2007 and has been declining since."
Do you consider a higher birthrate or a lower one better? Is your answer the same if you consider the world and just the US separately?
“Do you consider a higher birthrate or a lower one better?”

That’s a real good question. I guess the lower rate would mean more people are using birth control, I hope. I do believe in birth control and it should be free in lower income schools and neighborhoods.

Is your answer the same if you consider the world and just the US separately?

Yes, I think it is.

Fennario

#198445 Jan 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Actually they do, except US Americans tend to forget there are other "Americans" and forget they are "North Americans" thinking (American) means US American, when the only true "Americans" are Indians. So the British solved it by calling us "Yanks".
How about calling them "Indians"?
[4:38 YouTube of Louis CK on calling them Indians]

Fennario

#198446 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Then our conclusion is that nobody who holds beliefs with any antagonism to homosexuality can express them without incurring the label "homophobe".
I think so. I can't find a legitimate reason to be antagonistic to gay people for being gay. If you have that attitude and express it or act on it, you deserve to be criticized
Buck Crick wrote:
This confirms it is a phony term for marginalizing a particular belief, no matter how benevolent, polite, and sincere the person holding the belief is. More rhetorical gamesmanship.
There is no benevolence or politeness in that belief, and sincere prejudice is not a virtue.

This is a social tug of war, with millions of people each exerting a little force pulling one way or the other. It will be settled according to the vector sum of the individual forces.

I'm pretty sure that the forces of genuine benevolence and politeness, with a measure of empathy, kindness, tolerance and justice thrown in, will prevail, but it will take decades.

I realize that many Christians consider my attitude about the Christian church to be blind hatred and bigotry, but I can't see any way to defend an institution that teaches people to think like that, however sincere they are. And doing so, along with many other things it does, makes the church expendable to me.

Throw in atheophobia, sexual guilting, science demeaning, misogyny, a war on reproductive freedom, and social divisiveness, and it's pretty hard not to want to see it diminished.

I don't expect believers to agree, since those are often their values, so they wouldn't see those things as harmful.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198447 Jan 2, 2014
<quoted text>
I think so. I can't find a legitimate reason to be antagonistic to gay people for being gay. If you have that attitude and express it or act on it, you deserve to be criticized
<quoted text>
There is no benevolence or politeness in that belief, and sincere prejudice is not a virtue.
This is a social tug of war, with millions of people each exerting a little force pulling one way or the other. It will be settled according to the vector sum of the individual forces.
I'm pretty sure that the forces of genuine benevolence and politeness, with a measure of empathy, kindness, tolerance and justice thrown in, will prevail, but it will take decades.
I realize that many Christians consider my attitude about the Christian church to be blind hatred and bigotry, but I can't see any way to defend an institution that teaches people to think like that, however sincere they are. And doing so, along with many other things it does, makes the church expendable to me.
Throw in atheophobia, sexual guilting, science demeaning, misogyny, a war on reproductive freedom, and social divisiveness, and it's pretty hard not to want to see it diminished.
I don't expect believers to agree, since those are often their values, so they wouldn't see those things as harmful.
Your sincere prejudice against Christianity is noted.

Along with other examples of your abundant hypocrisy all wrapped up in just a few paragraphs.

You did better than I could in displaying your hypocrisy. Thank you very much.

Atheist intelligence and ethics is a sight to behold. The power of it is awesome. No other philosophy could win friends and influence enemies by calling almost one third of the world a bunch of idiots in addition to being murderers. pedophiles, rapists, and just general moral deficients. And we aren't even counting another third that are even worse. And a huge chunk of the remaining that thinks such activity is less than good taste or civil discourse.

But the modern atheists just know they will win the battle by sheer force of personality and righteousness of cause in spite of the vector sum difference.

You keep telling the world how stupid they, and their ancestors were/are, IANS.

You're doing a fine job of advancing your cause, the salvation of mankind.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#198448 Jan 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Wisdom is knowing you really need a good reason to do something stupid.
<The Dave Nelson> "... like this one time I used telluric geomagnetic *GHOST MAGIC* that I learned - from the electric green mist snake when I died - to try and levitate from the rooftop of my apt. complex to the Burger Hof for a chili cheese schnitzel ..."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198449 Jan 2, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I’m going to ask you a very personal question and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want too.

Are you a homosexual?

Westcliffe, CO

#198450 Jan 2, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<The Dave Nelson> "... like this one time I used telluric geomagnetic *GHOST MAGIC* that I learned - from the electric green mist snake when I died - to try and levitate from the rooftop of my apt. complex to the Burger Hof for a chili cheese schnitzel ..."
It's a more scenic trip than teleporting.

Besides, teleporting tends to disturb the customers in line and the staff.

Westcliffe, CO

#198451 Jan 2, 2014
"secular bible study"

http://www.meetup.com/AtheistCommunityCS/

I love that.

IANS and his brethren should move to Colorado. Looks like they may find a home at that place. Plus the dope is legal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Rider on the Storm 104,691
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Gods r Delusion x... 673,178
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min ffj 981,248
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 17 min Peter Ross 445,859
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 28 min ChromiuMan 6,187
News Michael Jackson Called A 'wonderful Humanitarian' (Jul '09) 2 hr Spotted Wee 7,660
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr LAWEST100 619,375
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 hr Antonio Raviolio 184,619
More from around the web