Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245227 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198111 Jan 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Dave , If you can muster up your 2nd wind and expend the work, study and rigor, the combined knowledge you would exude may have these topix characters flabberghasted.
I would be the first to praise him if he did, but we both know that isn't going to happen. Dave learns from strings, twigs, and magnets, not books. He has no respect for book learnin'.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#198112 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct - Obama is not a patriot.
He was also not vetted.
He is an anti-western, anti-American Marxist radical. The political mafia of Chicago stuffed an empty shirt with him and stood him up in front of a teleprompter.
Some of my family on my wife's side lives in Chicago. No better example to see how messed up the nation is. A girl that performed at Obama's inauguration was shot in the back days latter. In a city that is a shining example of more and tougher gun laws that do nothing. But year lets rant about Rush or whoever the lefts' bogyman is today.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198113 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh c'mon, Skom.
Are you and Buck gonna go toe to toe, calling names and defending what you didn't say for a year like you & IANS did?
You can drop it. You can let it go.
Let's talk about a one world government, like Tide brought up.
He continues to call me a liar for what is at best case scenario his failure to take context into consideration when he replied to a post. Do you often allow bogus challenges to your credibility slide?

But I will drop it if only because it will only be redundant at this point.

I haven't read Tide's post yet. I just took a break from shoveling and am reading a few posts while having a smoke. I will look into the other discussion when I get back

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198114 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
No more than you.
Do you really believe that all the men and women that stand and fight for this country are Christians?
They're not.
I agree.

But you must also acknowledge that just because German military had God on their belt buckles does not mean they were Christians. It's not like they got to pick out their wardrobe.
I don't know the oath. I've never been in the military and I don't believe for a second that they have to proclaim their trust in a god to be a part of it.
It's called the Oath of Enlistment. It has a proud history.

"I,_____, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
I know this government does a lot of stupid things but that would be right on top for me.
Are you saying that people who won't say they're Christians can't be in the military?
Are you really saying that?
I'm serious now. I'm not just fuckinwith Buck. Mia is puking in the bathroom right now.
No, I'm not saying that at all.

Hey, the least you could do is hold her hair back while she pukes.

C'mon, man. What happened to chivalry?

Fennario

#198116 Jan 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Theres something on your nose, heres some papel higiénico .
Happy New Year, Bongo.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#198117 Jan 1, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well to be fair, would your characterization s of the president be any better than his of you? Although I would be surprised if you could find something that quotes him calling people 'teabaggers'. And he has been called everything from a secret Muslim to a traitor who got into office so he could carry out his plan to destroy the country to being compared to Hitler. And that's from other elected officials as well as citizens
Obviously people will have those they consider political allies and enemies
But I think you do touch on something important and that is it does make me question claims of patriotism by those who engage in hate speech and rhetoric and call others traitors and enemies of state because they disagree with their policies. People should be able to have opposing ideologies and still acknowledge there are different ways to try to achieve the same ends. We can criticize policies and ideologies without trying to return to the days of McCarthyism
Point one, wrong, here is proof:
President Barack Obama, known for his lectures to others on civility, saw fit to use the obscene and derogatory term “tea-baggers” in a book interview with author Jonathan Alter.

http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2010/05/04...

And again:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/28/really-mr-p...

Point two, I am a taxpayer bro, he works for me as does everyone in elected positions. One of the best things about living in this (still) free nation is we can tell them to piss off with no fear. Years ago Wild Willie made the point that most critics are just too knee jerk and not thought out any more and blamed the talking heads. I thank God we have talking heads and everyone gets a say. No, my thoughts on President Obama is he is an embarrassment to the nation and can't say much of anything good about him. And while I was never going to be a supporter it could have been so much better. From Cambridge to Sanford he shoots off his mouth with no facts and makes bad things worse. And he lies as easily as most people breath.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198118 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Duhhhhhhh
Everybody knows the best way to warm a tortilla.
Have you seen my microwave?
Blasphemy!

You never warm a tortilla in a microwave.

How dare ye speak of such?!

Location hidden

#198119 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was specific and clear. I responded to your vetting claim.
Incidentally, how would you vet someone's patriotism if they faked it?
The actions of a patriot and a fake patriot would be similar - that's what faking patriotism means - making your actions similar to a patriot.
How do you vet that?
Nevertheless, you made a false accusation.
I do not think extramarital affairs are examples of lacking patriotism. I never said anything that can rightly be construed as such.
Someone fakes it for self-serving reasons
When someone has their entire history of public service scrutinized under a microscope they would be exposed by someone they dealt with or by things they tried to hide

. Like I said, on a lower level of public service there can be opportunists who can hide their agenda due to the lack of vetting. And even then it often comes out. For example, the mayor of Detroit, Kirpatrick, that was exposed by text messages and testimony of extortion and corruption. Obviously the guy was out for himself and not the city

You responded to a post about why someone would be exposed through the presidential vetting process as a fake if they didn't really love their country. So it seems reasonable to me to assume your examples were in response to that.

Regardless, I'm moving on

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198120 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:

First, do you consider them to be people?
River Tam wrote:
RiversideRednecks?
Kinda
biz to the nitch.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198121 Jan 1, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He continues to call me a liar for what is at best case scenario his failure to take context into consideration when he replied to a post. Do you often allow bogus challenges to your credibility slide?
But I will drop it if only because it will only be redundant at this point.
I haven't read Tide's post yet. I just took a break from shoveling and am reading a few posts while having a smoke. I will look into the other discussion when I get back
Good call, Skom. Let it go.

You have no power, no control.

Realizing that isn't easy.

Or something like that.

Fennario

#198122 Jan 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Though it could be fun to watch them self flagellate, and each other. If they only knew the benefits they could derive from such.
Here you go, Dave - from Billy Mays (RIP):
http://greatinventions.tv/products/117.php

Who remembers Billy and his untimely death in June 2009, after several other celebrities died that same week, including Ed McMahon (6/23), Farah Fawcett 25), and Michael Jackson (6/25)? There is a superstition that celebrity deaths come in threes, so when Michael died, everybody thought it was over.[See "Jackson, Fawcett, McMahon: The Celebrity Death Rule of Three" (6/25/09) at http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/06/25/jac... ]

Then Billy died on the 28th. Wasn't it just like Billy to throw in one absolutely free?

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#198123 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh c'mon, Skom.
Are you and Buck gonna go toe to toe, calling names and defending what you didn't say for a year like you & IANS did?
You can drop it. You can let it go.
Let's talk about a one world government, like Tide brought up.
If that's too complex, we can talk about heuristics.

Fennario

#198124 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Blacks are just lucky they didn't live in Germany.
Emo Philips on Germans - "My sister married a German. He complained he couldn’t get a good bagel back home. I said,“Well, whose fault is that?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#198125 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
But you must also acknowledge that just because German military had God on their belt buckles does not mean they were Christians. It's not like they got to pick out their wardrobe.
<quoted text>
It's called the Oath of Enlistment. It has a proud history.
"I,_____, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
<quoted text>
No, I'm not saying that at all.
Hey, the least you could do is hold her hair back while she pukes.
C'mon, man. What happened to chivalry?
She has a pixie cut.

C'mon, man. Where you been?

Location hidden

#198126 Jan 1, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Point one, wrong, here is proof:
President Barack Obama, known for his lectures to others on civility, saw fit to use the obscene and derogatory term “tea-baggers” in a book interview with author Jonathan Alter.
http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2010/05/04...
And again:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/28/really-mr-p...
Point two, I am a taxpayer bro, he works for me as does everyone in elected positions. One of the best things about living in this (still) free nation is we can tell them to piss off with no fear. Years ago Wild Willie made the point that most critics are just too knee jerk and not thought out any more and blamed the talking heads. I thank God we have talking heads and everyone gets a say. No, my thoughts on President Obama is he is an embarrassment to the nation and can't say much of anything good about him. And while I was never going to be a supporter it could have been so much better. From Cambridge to Sanford he shoots off his mouth with no facts and makes bad things worse. And he lies as easily as most people breath.
Fair enough on point one. I'm surprised he used the term.

Although as far as point two, what does free speech have to do with it? I didn't question someone's right to use hate speech and rhetoric. I questioned their choice to and what I feel than can indicate. It's why the political divide is as wide as it is IMO and why we have such gridlock and non-partisanship in Congress. The need to demonize the other side has taken priority over everything else.

And I have no problems with critics. It is part of the appeal of being an American; that we can openly criticize our government. I just think people can do it without the labeling, hate, and rhetoric. The issues barely get any real play as it becomes all about the personal mudslinging. And I question how a patriot would see that method as one that is best for the country

Location hidden

#198127 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Blasphemy!
You never warm a tortilla in a microwave.
How dare ye speak of such?!
The microwave was a euphemism.

If you want, I hold them under my arm.

Fennario

#198128 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You're all sixes and sevens, mate.
And Bob's your uncle.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198129 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
What thefuck did you just call me?!

Location hidden

#198130 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I think my mom got one of those after I was born.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198131 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
She has a pixie cut.
C'mon, man. Where you been?
You expect me to pay attention to hair style?

Hi, I'm RR. Have we met?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min New Age Spiritual... 600,192
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Stilgar Fifrawi 865,979
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 13 min RiccardoFire 40,910
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min Insults Are Easier 272,452
Poll Are cops and their families above the law? 30 min lawyers gone wild 1
Rajkot gay Topix 36 min vicky4950 201
The Christian Atheist debate 38 min yoskowitz 5 column 2,093
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 8 hr Malcolm 46
More from around the web