Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#197886 Dec 31, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to say that my God will kill everyone that does not believe in HIM.
Hate speech duly noted.

And reported.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#197887 Dec 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Test from phone.
Why am doing this
How do I shift this thing
Where's the enter key
Arrrgh
Awwwwww.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#197888 Dec 31, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it where I live. Hardly any of them around at all. Almost everyone is so friendly and free.
The school my kids attend is awesome too, if a teacher mentions god in the presence of my children, I can sue.
No religion.
Happy New Year from the future Bob!
Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#197889 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand that reference, but ok.
<quoted text>
I've been a Christian since I was 5 but I really got into the faith at 15. I almost lost my faith and might've become an atheist had God not worked with me. He restored my faith fully and I haven't looked back since.
I've read the Bible several times, but that really says nothing. I've studied it for many years, there are things in it I haven't studied in detail, like about half of the OT and Revelations. I gotta dig into those more.
I'm not what you'd call a typical God fearing, church going Christian. Stick around, you'll see.
RR: a true maverick.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#197890 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I'm not agnostic. I am a theist.
You are both.

Your specific beliefs do not factor into your agnosticism, just the degree of certitude that you assign them. Agnostic means not knowing, as in uncertain - not without belief.
Buck Crick wrote:
I am an agnostic on claims of climate change.
I don't think so, I am an agnostic there. I accept the possibility that the climate scientists warning are valid, but do not assume that the risks that they warn us of will necessarily come to fruition, which is why I conceive and discuss the issue in terms of risk management, which implies a degree of uncertainty (agnosticism).
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Unless I have remembered incorrectly, you scoff at the scientists and the rest of us that take this threat seriously. Am I mistaken? If not, how do you figure that you're agnostic there?
Buck Crick wrote:
On god-belief, an atheist cannot be an agnostic. The terms delineate belief categories.
Not really. Theism is a belief category, as its negation,atheism. Gnosticism and agnosticism are about knowing: Agnostic - from a- "not" + gnostos "(to be) known" http://www.et ymonl ine.com/index.php ? term=agnostic

Fennario

#197891 Dec 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
My son just had one of those DNA tests done ,,. His mother is of a rare Asian haploid group
Your son's mother comes from a haploid group? Which one? Was she an insect?

I think you meant haplogroup, Cadet Nelson..

Fennario

#197892 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Why hasn't redneck reality TV discovered me? I can see it now... "Buck Dynasty" We could do an episode about me coming down to Mexico to visit you. Can you imagine me and Mexican people trying to communicate?
When cultures collide: "Arkansas State to break ground on new campus in Mexico"
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2013/...

"Buenos dias, y'all."
Jim

London, UK

#197893 Jan 1, 2014
PresidentOdummy wrote:
<quoted text> Atheists and Homosexuals=FKed UP
..by the Religious.

Fennario

#197894 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
kerfuffle; a British word (noun) a commotion or fuss, esp. one caused by conflicting views.
Good. Now try to find a few chances to use the word and cement it in before it slips away. Wouldn't you agree that that word was perfect for the occasion?:

"If you want to see the future of that battle, look at the analogous kerfuffle that arose in the area of racism, which has been evolving for a few decades longer."

Fennario

#197895 Jan 1, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
FSM is at the **same** level of probability as your hideous torturing god. The **exact** same probability of existing.
Blessed be the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Blessed be his Son, Cheese's Crust, born of Mother Marinara. How grated thou art!

Blessed be He who has come to bring salivation to all men, who was brought down by the giant twirling fork and unceremoniously flung onto a wall where he dried for our sins.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197896 Jan 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Blessed be the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Blessed be his Son, Cheese's Crust, born of Mother Marinara. How grated thou art!

Blessed be He who has come to bring salivation to all men, who was brought down by the giant twirling fork and unceremoniously flung onto a wall where he dried for our sins.
Ramen!

Happy New Year Teddy!

Fennario

#197897 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
HA HA!! Jon Stewart and Bill Maher are sources of news like Saturday Night Live is. Also, your wife's personal choice of news, posted to the Bookface, isn't a good source, either. No offense..
You're wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Well, shit. With THAT kind of argument .....
What were you hoping for? You made a claim with no supporting evidence or argument. I didn't feel that anybody else needed but you needed to see the argument in rebuttal, since everybody that has chimed in seemed to understand the news value of shows like Stewart's and Maher's. Plus, I really don't have the patience to try to explain things to you. You don't do your part to try to understand. What have you done to try to understand why people disagree with you here- what they see that you might be missing? Nothing. So why would I post more than, "You're wrong"? For whose benefit? And why do you criticize an argument for being no better than the one you offered? Why do you offer "arguments" that you wouldn't accept?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Since you're a fan of them I thought you'd at least dispute the first sentence: "Jon Stewart and Bill Maher are sources of news like Saturday Night Live is." You didn't even bother.
You're wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That tells me you either you don't want to bother with that kind of debate or you think I'm 'unworthy' of debating with a mental giant like you. Which is it?
What's to debate?

For starters, Skombolis said it all. I agree with his position. He explained the difference between SNl and the others named.

Furthermore, you didn't seem to have any interest in learning, You simply declared the comedic version tantamount to SNL's parodies of the news, with no argument and no apparent understanding of what the Daily Show did or just what constitutes news.

Now you are inquiring. Good.That's a better attitude.

Did you look at the Jon Stewart video on John Beale? I t appears not. Let's compare it to what you consider news. Go back to Skombolis' post introducing the thread to this matter.

Skombolis presented a fairly comprehensive summary of the story, which you would probably agree is news, as well as a link to a Washington Post article covering it, which is also news.

Now look at Stewart's coverage in the link I provided, which is where I became aware of the story. It's got the same news content, with humor added. The humor does not diminish the news content, nor make it not news.

Bill Maher's show does the same thing. It discusses the news. It addresses most of the big stories, and supplies most of the pertinent data. You don't really need much more than those two shows unless you want to see the police following a car on the freeway or a family in tears over some misfortune - things that don't rate as news to me.

I like to watch Vera at KTLA to see what the "marine layer" is doing, but not for news

And I already gave you my review of Fox "News" when I got back from Puerto Vallarta

Better?

Fennario

#197898 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
I heard Jesse Jackson's organization tried to sell A+E sensitivity training at a price of $12 million dollars. That's a lot of extortio....I mean training.
I remember a (politically incorrect) joke about Jesse from decades back. When asked what he thought about Beirut, he said that he was the best Yankee hitter ever. When asked about an abortion bill, he said, "Paid it."

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197899 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Good. Now try to find a few chances to use the word and cement it in before it slips away. Wouldn't you agree that that word was perfect for the occasion?:
"If you want to see the future of that battle, look at the analogous kerfuffle that arose in the area of racism, which has been evolving for a few decades longer."
RR doesn't like it when we type in English words.

He used to tell me that I spell colour wrong. My Nanny would have given him a gubbing.

Fennario

#197900 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Paula Deen was fired because she is honest.
Fail.
Eagle 12 wrote:
How many people both black and white have ever said the “N” word? It’s a word that I despise and it’s repulsive because what it stands for. But lot’s of people have said the word. Does it mean they’re racist? It could, depending on how the word was used. Repeating the word isn’t a sure fire way to identify a racist. But Paula being honest admitted she has said the word at times earlier in her life. I like what Dr. Martin Luther King said. Judge people not by the color of their skin but the content of their character. Paula was immediately stereotyped as a old school racist. She’s rich and happens to be white. And she has repeated the “N,” word. Well that must mean she’s a racist, right? Give me a freaking break. How shallow can some people be? The answer is pretty dam* shallow.
All I can say to you and Paula is that you are free to say what you like, but will have difficulty eluding the consequences. For you and me, those may be minimal. I just repeated an old racist joke, which I know that Catcher and Happy Lesbo don't care for. Sorry, you two, but I expect them to give me a little leeway.

If you're a minor celebrity making millions of dollars because people like you and like to watch you, the price may be higher. If I were such a person, I wouldn't be telling Jessie Jackson jokes. Those are the rules.
Eagle 12 wrote:
As far as homophobia goes. Anyone who believes the act of homosexuality is a sin is a homophobic according to the left wing extremist. The Bible teaches lying is a sin and who hasn’t told a lie in their life? Does that mean they’re lair-phobic? The bible Atheist claim to read says “We all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.” That means we all have sinned in our life at some point. But by Gods grace we can be forgiven of our sins.
But will the public forgive you? We were all born onto a giant game board. The game has rules. You break them at your own peril.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Paula was railroaded by some people with a chip on their shoulder.
Paula didn't know the rules, or else she flouted them. Flag down.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Do you remember the Duke lacrosse case in 2006? Three members of the men's lacrosse team at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina was accused of raping a black woman. These boys must be guilty because for starters they’re white and from well to do families. That made them guilty, right? These young men were raked over the coals as being white racist criminals. But a trial revealed the truth. The criminal was the prosecutor pandering to the left so he could gain votes.
Irrelevant to the matter being discussed. Paula Deen and Duckman were not falsely accused.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Doctor, your view is skewed and I think is way too biased.
I think yours is. You say Paula was fired for being honest, and Duckman was fired for being a Christian. Those are both pretty biased opinions.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197901 Jan 1, 2014
davy wrote:
So you admit you believe in unicorns? How about logical fallacies, do you think those exist.
<quoted text>
No, and yes.

The unicorn analogy is a logical fallacy.

Why do you want to discuss unicorns?

Fennario

#197902 Jan 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
You're going to look pretty silly with that knife sticking out of your ass.
That's not how you cut a fart.

Location hidden

#197903 Jan 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, Buck, I see that once again you totally failed to understand what I was saying. Big surprise.
What I was saying was that if I wanted to say a greeting for the season of holidays (which includes far more holidays than just Christmas) I now say "Happy Holidays".
One of the reasons I do this these days is because of people like you that insist one must say "Merry Christmas" and ignore all the other holidays.
Seasons Greetings to you, oh Christmas warrior.
(BTW...looks like the old insulting Buck is back on line. Didn't expect that it would take long for him to return.)
No. Everyone knows that is not the reason anyone says happy holidays.

The reason is the one holiday. They don't like the name.

Play games if you like, Deadwood.

Location hidden

#197904 Jan 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
When he runs out of schtick he picks up a stick.
From the guy who says religious persecution has nothing to do with religion.

Location hidden

#197905 Jan 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, seems pretty clear now that in Buck's mind (what little there is of it) "almost all" actually does mean "all".
To you and ScumBolus, "almost all" means the Red Sox won almost all of their games.

I disagree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min Clearwater 101,540
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,342
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 3 hr WantsOldnFat 457
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr bagittagit 980,359
What's the most embarrassing thing you have done? (Dec '15) 5 hr Slick 28
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 9 hr Peter Ross 445,687
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 hr Just Think 670,659
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 13 hr Rob Ford Sr 286,267
More from around the web