Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
188,921 - 188,940 of 226,336 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#197019 Dec 29, 2013
no happy atheists wrote:
Public Warning: There are atheists out walking the streets brutally putting people in the hospital as they play their evil game called "Knockout". It's the latest tortuous crime they've come up with since they've committed their lives to rejecting God, the Holy Bible, and don't have the courage to be a Christian.
You are a great testimony to the power of Christ and the Holy Spirit to change lives.

And look up tortuous. It doesn't mean what you seem to think. The word you want is tortuRous.
haha

United States

#197020 Dec 29, 2013
no happy atheists wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism= Hatred and Bigotry
Yep!

Fennario

#197021 Dec 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
LOL. Your cluelessness in posting is epic.
The world has been very good to me, Dave, and never better than now.
Dave Nelson wrote:
If it has been so good to you then why do you bitch about it so much?
Whatever are you talking about, Dave? I criticize the state America is in, the church, medical science, and you - not my life. My little world is pretty much isolated from all of that. It is a happy place. When have I ever bitched about my life?

How about you, Dave? Are you fulfilled? Do your cat, your new telephone and your cigarettes complete you?

Fennario

#197022 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Godwin's law could be modified to also apply to references to Pol Pot and Stalin.
Well then I've got just the thing for you - Godbot's law:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Fennario

#197023 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I do recall some sad soliloquies and rueful reminiscences.
And laconic lamentations, turgid threnodies, pompous palaver, and orotund oratories

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197024 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I've read a few thousand words of Dave's scientific poetry - EM, magnetic flux, telluric currents, etc - and have learned nothing from any of it, and have profited zero from the effort. What am I missing in your estimation? What have you learned from, and how has it enriched your understanding of reality?
Or is your defense of him just throwing him a bone?
I like Dave.
LCNin

United States

#197025 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist Cult Members couldn't attack Atheism so they attack Liberalism instead (Nothing to do with Atheism)
Many good atheists are liberals as well.

As we grow up

some people come to the realization

that Good People often hold different views.

Fennario

#197026 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I like Dave.
OK.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#197027 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Yeah, thanks for that.
<quoted text>
That is incorrect.
<quoted text>
That is also incorrect. Existence and non-existence are not dependent on interpretation.
<quoted text>
And wrong yet again.
<quoted text>
I defer to your expertise in that department.
Have you got a science poem for us today?
<quoted text>
"I dunno" is the sine qua non of agnosticism, Aristotle.
You need some Wheaties, vitamins, or something besides bong smoke. You are weak, IANS, and getting weaker. Your punches have nothing behind them.

That Alzheimer's is gonna get you, dood.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#197028 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I like Dave.
Me too.

I used to watch Chappelle's Show all the time.

You weren't talking about Dave Coulier, were you? Cut. It. Out.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#197030 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a very constrained question that can't be answered with a simple yes or no. After all, there are presently 7 billion different views on what is best and what isn't. So I will answer the only way it can be.
There is no doubt in my mind that Bill and Hillary Clinton love and want what is best for their country the same as Adolph Hitler, Joe Stalin, and Mao Zedong. You can also throw Louis XIV and a few others in that same group, including Attila.
That's unfortunate that partisan hate runs that deep in you that you can't admit presidents are patriots without comparing presidents of the opposing party to mass murderers

Nothing personal but you are everything that is wrong with politics today. That may sound insincere but it really isn't. There are many like you. It is becoming the norm not the exception. I don't know if it means you are just susceptible to propaganda brain-washing or if you would have come to those feelings without the influence of places like Fox News. Usually I hate people I would consider bigots. I don't consider you a bigot. Calling someone a political bigot would be a stretch even in the most broad sense of the usage. But I feel bad for you. Someone might be tempted to re-use this analogy in a different way but I feel bad you can't see thru the lies. Manipulating the masses is what the powers-that-be do best. Those are the people I reserve my disgust for. But you have been put to war with half of your fellow Americans who should be your allies and not only you don't see it, you think it makes you the patriot. It is sad stuff. And again, not trying to be condescending either. It is legitimately how I feel. With even the years of his post-presidency to factor into account and you still compare him to a mass-murderer? That is sad.

Location hidden

#197031 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I became aware of Beale through Jon Stewart: You might enjoy his comedian's take:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/19/jon-ste...
That's great political circus. Welcome to the Big Top. Right this way to the Egress.
I think most Americans don't bat an eye over this kind of thing any more. Nixon shocked and traumatized the nation, but covering up a break-in that the president almost certainly didn't know about until after the fact is pretty small potatoes nowadays.
Thanks for the link

That was actually how I first became aware of it too!

People can call the Daily Show a fake news show but the truth is someone can stay pretty current watching it and get a good laugh! And he is way more even-handed then most people who don't watch him think
LCNin

United States

#197032 Dec 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the link
That was actually how I first became aware of it too!
People can call the Daily Show a fake news show but the truth is someone can stay pretty current watching it and get a good laugh! And he is way more even-handed then most people who don't watch him think
Daily Show is excellent ...thanks for your posts

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#197033 Dec 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>That's unfortunate that partisan hate runs that deep in you that you can't admit presidents are patriots without comparing presidents of the opposing party to mass murderers
Nothing personal but you are everything that is wrong with politics today. That may sound insincere but it really isn't. There are many like you. It is becoming the norm not the exception. I don't know if it means you are just susceptible to propaganda brain-washing or if you would have come to those feelings without the influence of places like Fox News. Usually I hate people I would consider bigots. I don't consider you a bigot. Calling someone a political bigot would be a stretch even in the most broad sense of the usage. But I feel bad for you. Someone might be tempted to re-use this analogy in a different way but I feel bad you can't see thru the lies. Manipulating the masses is what the powers-that-be do best. Those are the people I reserve my disgust for. But you have been put to war with half of your fellow Americans who should be your allies and not only you don't see it, you think it makes you the patriot. It is sad stuff. And again, not trying to be condescending either. It is legitimately how I feel. With even the years of his post-presidency to factor into account and you still compare him to a mass-murderer? That is sad.
You must be on the rag today.

Ask Buck about me and Reagan.

I don't worship politicians or their parties.

The Clintons are meglomanical maniac rabblerousers who kill those who get in their way.

Location hidden

#197034 Dec 29, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
Daily Show is excellent ...thanks for your posts
Yep

Thx for yours as well

And at least you have seen a bit of my range up front as far as my personality so I don't have to worry about the potential shock factor later on as in "whoa where did that come come?" LOL

(T) Peace

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197035 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Clintons are meglomanical maniac rabblerousers who kill those who get in their way.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you two an item? Good for you.

Which of you was older?

Location hidden

#197036 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you partisan hate was balanced with partisan love

And asking Buck anything to do with understanding what someone else wrote isn't going to be something I am going to make a practice of

I realize that you see that as somehow a justification for comparing Clinton to Hitler. That you also aren't big fans of some other people so therefore the unjustified hate rhetoric you reserve for one part is more acceptable. You will have to forgive me if i don't see the connection. Then again maybe it is me. I don't see the connection between a mass-murderer and a man who could have made way more in the private sector but dedicated his life to public service all the way up to the presidency because he loves his country.

If you are so far gone that you can't see that presidents, all presidents, are patriots then the political gap that divides this country won't be bridged anytime soon. I take some solace in the fact that I think the coming generations will be smarter in this regard. Or they may simply just be too apathetic to care. But either way, the insanity that exists today will start to die out as people do. Please don't take that as a subtle inference as to my wishes for you personally. I would have to be insane to think one voice out of millions being absent would make any difference. I am simply saying I will be glad in general when the people who think like you no longer have a voice that carries any weight. As it is, the pendulum is already starting to swing back to normalcy. People are tired of the smear campaigns and hate and propaganda.

And I see some of the fringe elements of the Republican party as the enemy. So I don't pretend not to have my own line in the sand. But I don't hate them. I simply find them dangerous. Although I find ignorance in general dangerous. Adding hate to it is like adding a match to dynamite. I find you smart enough to know the difference. That is why it bothers me particularly more so in these kinds of situations. Surely you know comparing Clinton to Hitler for the rhetoric it is yet you did it anyway. You ought to think about why

Just saying

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197037 Dec 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah.
My two cents...
I don't think the lack of theistic belief is a philosophy. Some may disagree, but once you step outside of what - atheist - means(which is the one thing atheists share in common), then you get into various flavors of what a person thinks for themselves as individuals.
The one commonality between atheists is that we don't have a belief in gods, we don't have a book we follow. We don't, as an all encompassing group or aggregate, attend "atheist" services.
Put one hundred atheists in a room.
Among those hundred there will be thousands of other differences, just the one thing, >no theistic god belief<, is the only similarity we share. Sure, we may enjoy football(that's not atheism), camping(that's not atheism), science(that's not atheism) etc...
I think an atheist would and does, by definition, have to adhere to the one precept of atheism; No theistic belief that there are deities or a deity.
It(atheism) is a disbelief. So, in that narrow application I'd imagine you could say that is "fundamental" to being an atheist.
On the other hand, there isn't a "universal philosophy" that surrounds atheists or atheism. We might agree or disagree about many things, none, essentially, that are connected to being atheist.
Everyone has principles, beliefs and other ideas that they are certainly entitled to hold, or not hold, and I won't disagree with that. I support that. That doesn't remove those principles, beliefs or ideas from the arena of public discussion, nor does it preclude them from criticism or outright rejection and noting that, publicly. That also doesn't tie any of those aspects that atheists might share in common to being "atheist", in specific.
We just have that one, singular thing we share in common - no theistic deity belief.
"Disbelief in deities" and "no belief in deities" are not the same thing.

Their is variation of belief in all belief systems, including the atheist belief system.

Atheism is a belief - that no god exists.

It is an affirmative speculation, it posits a truth claim that exceeds knowledge.

Atheism is not an absence of belief, nor a lack of a propositional truth.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197038 Dec 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism = No theistic deity belief.
(RR! Dude! You were right about somethi
No, it isn't.

Loose Fur, I know you reported me to Topix moderators.

If you get me kicked off this thread, I won't be that disappointed.

Others might be, since they have a good time jousting with me.

So do you worst, you little child.
christINSANITY is EVIL

Leamington, Canada

#197039 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You need some Wheaties, vitamins, or something besides bong smoke. You are weak, IANS, and getting weaker. Your punches have nothing behind them.
That Alzheimer's is gonna get you, dood.
still PROJECTINg eh Bucko..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Michael 538,909
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min JudgeNJury 257,949
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 6 min Chosen Holy Dr Sh... 599,877
The REALITY of workplace unhappiness for millio... 16 min Senecus 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min Stilgar Fifrawi 732,902
Michael Jordan says he used to be..'against ALL... 30 min Senecus 4
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 37 min Senecus 2,422
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr EdmondWA 94,667
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••