Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255566 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197145 Dec 29, 2013
irecknso wrote:
<quoted text> there's the mangy dog pissing on my leg, haha! i knew he was round here somewhere! i once had a dog named stay, he was the most confused dog i ever saw, i tell him come and he'd just sit there, with that dumba$$ look on his face, kind of like some people, "behold, i send you out as sheep amongst the wolves"
I taught my Parakeet to mimic the sound of a can opener and say, "Here kitty, kitty".

Once.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#197146 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had legitimate criticism of Cheney, you would use it, instead of making things up.
For a finding of betrayal of a country, Counselor, more than an unsupported characterization is required.
Have you ever even been inside a courtroom?
And in other news starting Monday Tn. officers may take your blood under something called no refusal if they think you are drunk. I'm all for curbing drunks but this is out of control.

No refusal checkpoints planned for New Year's Eve
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2013/12/...

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#197149 Dec 29, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Class of 92 here, that song defines my time. I like it too River.
You graduated the year before I was born !!!

I like it when we get along, Chris.

If you can endure the thorny passage, you might find a rose or a bee sting. Both are possibilities.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#197150 Dec 29, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Good word.
[tipping hat]

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#197151 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
"Disbelief in deities" and "no belief in deities" are not the same thing.
Sure, they're the same. I reject the unfounded belief in a deity or deities(disbelief), or, and this is the result no matter which way you state the two options you gave above, I have no belief that deities or a deity exists.

Theists have the unfounded and faith - only - supported belief deities exist, despite there being no unbiased evidences that would be convincing to both theists and atheists/unbelievers alike.
Buck Crick wrote:
Their is variation of belief in all belief systems, including the atheist belief system.
What is the description of the deity or deities that I "believe" I lack belief in, and what evidence is there that demands I place a belief in that unknown or unverifiable evidence?
Buck Crick wrote:
Atheism is a belief - that no god exists.
No, theism, is a belief - that deities or a deity exists, and that belief emanates from nothing but a supposition or desire for there to be something that loosely fits the term, deity - whatever that is, and you can describe it, along with the evidences that support that unfounded belief - that there is something that can be called a "deity".

I'm open to evidence, however, I'm not open to insistence that I must believe because people have proposed the concept and insist it must be entertained because it makes sense to them...
Buck Crick wrote:
It is an affirmative speculation, it posits a truth claim that exceeds knowledge.
That's exactly what theism is. That's all theism is. It has no foundation in reality, except for the insistence by theists there must be a deity.
Buck Crick wrote:
Atheism is not an absence of belief, nor a lack of a propositional truth.
Atheism is the lack of the theistic belief there are deities or a deity, plain and simple.

Theism is the presence of a belief that a supernatural entity or entities exist, named as "god(S)" most often, based solely upon a proposition, a mere suggestion that something - might - be, and is only that.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197152 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Ive had the best hottie in the world, married over 35 years now. How long were you married? Did it end because you got , large?
That was one of the excuses my ex used for cheating on me for the third time, sure.

His face when I lost all the weight and rejected his advances, combined with the fact that he now resembles three people stuffed in one skin suit, was priceless.

Being unfaithful and that shallow must be part of all that christian love hey.

Keep trying drongo.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197153 Dec 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
That was one of the excuses my ex used for cheating on me for the third time, sure.
His face when I lost all the weight and rejected his advances, combined with the fact that he now resembles three people stuffed in one skin suit, was priceless.
Keep trying drongo.
hey squirt, you are the one who was trying

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197154 Dec 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>

Sure, they're the same..
No. Disbelief is a rejection, or an inability.

"no belief" is nothing.

"Atheism" is a belief. No less so than "theism".

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no godÂ…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Location hidden

#197155 Dec 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep trying drongo.
You are just lucky he didn't kill you.

Christians kill everyone who annoys them. Remember?

Hey. You forgot to count O.J. killing his wife and friend.

Bwahahahahahhahahahha....

Oh. And nobody ever got killed prior to 2,000 years ago when Jesus was born.

Bwahahahaahha...

Thanks for the history, Loose Fur.

Bwaha.

--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.

Bwaha.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#197156 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Disbelief is a rejection, or an inability.
"no belief" is nothing.
"Atheism" is a belief. No less so than "theism".
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no godÂ…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
Your response isn't surprising at all, since you depend primarily on something other people have either told you to believe or told you to read so you'll know what you believe.

Location hidden

#197157 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Please answer:
I believe no god or gods exist.
A. True
B. False
Answer that, and I will tell you whether you are an atheist.

Loose Fur wrote:
I affirm a lack of belief, you can word that however you like, makes no difference to me, my thoughts or my life.

Why won't you answer the question, Loose Fur?

It's a simple question.

I'll tell you why: You are dishonest.

You know that I know you believe no god exists. But you want to claim a "lack of belief".

So if you answer, you prove yourself a liar.

Game, set, and match.

Location hidden

#197158 Dec 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Your response isn't surprising at all, since you depend primarily on something other people have either told you to believe or told you to read so you'll know what you believe.
You're a moron, Scar Tissue.

My post said nothing about my belief. It gave the academic consensus on meaning of a word.

Atheism is a belief. That says nothing about my belief.

Let's see if you can pass the test Loose Fur flunked.

Answer this question for yourself:

I believe no god exists. A. True B. False

Location hidden

#197159 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been in many courtrooms, in trial and appellate courts, state and federal.
I have also been in many county jails, state prisons, federal prisons, and state facilities for involuntary commitment (incompetent to stand trial, criminally insane).
I have even been in jail cells and prison lockup facilities, and in visiting rooms of all sorts.
However, I have never been in court as a criminal defendant, or in custody in any institution.
"I have been in many courtrooms, in trial and appellate courts, state and federal."

Same here.

"I have also been in many county jails, state prisons, federal prisons, and state facilities for involuntary commitment (incompetent to stand trial, criminally insane)"

Same here.

"I have even been in jail cells and prison lockup facilities, and in visiting rooms of all sorts."

Ditto.

Our experience is so similar. It's no wonder you know almost as much about law as I know.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197160 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just lucky he didn't kill you.
Christians kill everyone who annoys them. Remember?
Hey. You forgot to count O.J. killing his wife and friend.
Bwahahahahahhahahahha....
Oh. And nobody ever got killed prior to 2,000 years ago when Jesus was born.
Bwahahahaahha...
Thanks for the history, Loose Fur.
Bwaha.
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
Bwaha.
Oh he threatened to kill me.

Do you know what happens to soldiers in Australia who have protection orders served on them?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#197161 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a moron, Scar Tissue.
My post said nothing about my belief. It gave the academic consensus on meaning of a word.
Atheism is a belief. That says nothing about my belief.
Let's see if you can pass the test Loose Fur flunked.
What's the academic consensus concerning the existence of deities?

Location hidden

#197162 Dec 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you know what happens to soldiers in Australia who have protection orders served on them?
No, but if you'll hum a few bars, I'll try to pick it up.

Location hidden

#197163 Dec 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the academic consensus concerning the existence of deities?
Don't want to answer the question?

That's fine. I know the answer.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#197164 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have been in many courtrooms, in trial and appellate courts, state and federal."
Same here.
"I have also been in many county jails, state prisons, federal prisons, and state facilities for involuntary commitment (incompetent to stand trial, criminally insane)"
Same here.
"I have even been in jail cells and prison lockup facilities, and in visiting rooms of all sorts."
Ditto.
Our experience is so similar. It's no wonder you know almost as much about law as I know.
It's a culture, and both of us are in it.

Just different roles to play.

Still, I think I know more than you.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#197165 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I did answer it for myself, long ago.

Maybe you should have phrased in another way.
Buck Crick wrote:
Your opinion isn't relevant concerning that position, I know I'm an atheist.

I don't have the theistic, faith supported belief there are deities.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#197166 Dec 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[tipping hat]
Does your head loll sometimes?

Reagan's did that too.

You're in good company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min ATHEOI 49,599
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Liam 647,064
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 16 min Steve III 44,730
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 42 min The Hangman 971,823
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,116
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 105,694
Breaking! Hillary Clinton Scheduled To Meet Wit... 1 hr Hiddn Numbrz 1
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 4 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web