Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
187,161 - 187,180 of 224,510 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
So stereotyping is ok as long as it's only Christians you're insulting? Bigot.
nanoanomaly wrote:
You're posting to KK, also known as Alice_, the creepy pedo tranny from Seattle. He was never "young and beautiful", just "young and slimey".
nanoanomaly wrote:
It's not a fact that all Christians are scum...like you.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Lying. POS, flametard, just like Seth.
Too bad you're so lame you need more than 3 accounts to TRY to make your point, Kaitlyn.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Actually, it enrages him that decent folk warn their children to beware of his kind, you know, men wearing girly Sailor Moon costumes with no panties underneath. He hates the fact that such warnings limit access to new, younger cherry boys. The perv.
nanoanomaly wrote:
That would explain your unlucky status as a failed cockblocker.
LOL. You have got to be one of the most repulsive people on Topix. You contribute nothing better than these pieces of verbal stool that you crap down your leg and litter the thread with.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is responsible for more genocide than Christianity, or even all religions combined......
Wow! 3% of the population is that powerful ?

Is God stupid, lazy, powerless or just an Evil POS ?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
The panties your mother laid out?
Classic Seinfeld
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
Atheism is responsible for more genocide than Christianity, or even all religions combined.
Atheism, like marijuana, is responsible for no deaths. God beliefs can lead to murder, but the rejection of them cannot. Atheists that have murdered did not murder because they were atheists.
Buck Crick wrote:
China under Mao Tse Tung, killed 26.3 million people. According the Walker Report, 63.7 million over the whole period of time of the Communist revolution in China. The Soviet Union put to death 66.7 million people under Lenin and Stalin. The atheist Pol Pott and the Khmer Rouge, in only 4 years, between April 17, 1975 and January 1979, killed 3 million Cambodians. The Chinese at two different times in medieval history, killed somewhere in the vicinity of 35 million and 40 million people.
Those were all religions with human gods.

Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism and Maoism and religions like Islam and Christianity are cults of personality that require worship and obeisance to a larger-than-life übermensch, human in one case, supernatural in the other.

Besides requiring worship, they all employ terrorism, thought and information control techniques, and a requirement for submission and absolute obedience. Each feature long histories of genocide.

Both the totalitarian regimes you named and religions are characterized by excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to the god or godlike personality, which is required, and whose dicta are treated as truths beyond debate.Members thoughts and behaviors are dictated, and shame, guilt, and threats are employed to control them. Whatever means are deemed necessary to achieve some larger than life goal are justified, leading initiates to do things that they would have considered reprehensible outside of the group. These are the values of Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.

By contrast, most atheists are humanists who value reason, cooperation, freedom, peace, tolerance, negotiation, democracy, peace, egalitarianism, justice, compassion, individuality, autonomy, self-actualization, and political freedom. Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.are antithetical to all of those.

You have no argument against atheism here, just one against absolutist ideologies and cults of personality. In fact, from the Affirmations of Humanism comes, "We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah. <quoted text> I enjoy the posts here with the amusing house wine. Yes you lack imagination and nonsensical. <quoted text> Boring.
<quoted text> Forfeit your brain? LOL!
.. you follow a set of rules to find enlightenment, right ??..

.. your continued attacks on people tell me you are not clever or centered, rather you are religious and must defend your faith, even demean humans if they do not believe as you do ..

.. your posts tell me that you're grounded in scripture. True spirituality has nothing to do with knowledge; it's an identity with the universe and the desire to become a better person ..

.. you're so busy spreading the 'good news' that you can't smell the stench of your contradictory messages. Go take a shower and perhaps we can debate noble ideas like consideration, compassion and understanding ..

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
Then it's fair to say every atheist endorses the genocide of Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pott, Stalin, and Lenin.
Why? The evidence contradicts that. Almost every atheist repudiates those people and their values.

Almost every Christian, however, defends the church and its values.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
I believe mankind would have been better served if the Bible had never been written. I think I would likely be a better man today. Despite the value of certain lessons, it was conceived and compiled as an instrument of fear, coercion, and control, then given the imprimatur as infallibly speaking for God almighty. The pain and suffering is incalculable.
That's a powerful post, Buck. You have more cachet with the Christians than we atheists.

I'm a little confused about where you stand regarding organized religion. Is it a net positive or net negative in your estimation?

If a net negative, do you see any positives to organized religion, even if they are more than offset by the negatives. The usual positives ascribed to Christianity is that it reinforces good moral values and is an important source of charity to the needy. Would you agree with either of those claims, and would you add any to that list?.

Would you consider the world a better or worse place if the Christian church just evaporated away? How about Islam?

Do you consider your private beliefs religion?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Chris Clearwater wrote:
Please correct me I'm wrong, but are you the poster that stated the humanist ethics are far better than of Christians?
I don't know if I'm the poster you are thinking of now, but that is my opinion, and I have stated it in these threads.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Would the poster that just said they would like to burn Christians and beat our children be an example of those higher ethics? Please do continue to show the world this.
What Juice (LuciFerr to you) said was, "if life was fair, we would be burning them on stakes or beating their children for not being gay."

Humanism doesn't advocate revenge, nor did Juice.

Nevertheless, slightly modified, the essence of her point is valid. It would be just to treat Christians as they have treated others, like gays and atheists. For example, it would be just if popular opinion changed so much that it was considered shameful and a moral failing to be a Christian, and many Christians chose to be closeted because of it.

It would also be just to redefine marriage as between a man and a man or a woman and a woman, and tell you that you had equal rights - you were free to marry your own gender.

I don't expect you to agree. I expect you to be outraged and feel injured by the comment.

Should we be just, or should we be merciful? I say the latter. Why? Because my humanist values are better than your church's. For example, I actually try to live the Golden Rule, not merely give it lip service. Nobody wants to be treated the way it treats gays and atheists.

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> But They love their wittle terroristic animal abuser.
Most Christians say people aren't animals.

Good for you, Bongo.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Bongo wrote:
you histrionic beaver toothed thespian.
Have you ever seen a thesbian cunctating, mensurating, or doing a dido on the bissextile?

“Michin yeoja”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> bwhahahaha, you jelous little bitch. All your globetrotting, bath houses, pickles, horseback riding and fine dining etc amounts to almost nothing. The Osteens make you look like an unproductive little gnat on Gods wonderful earth. They actually produce something and have a good effect on the world. Schnoogly
I have no idea who they are.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
Hitler hated christianity and planned to eradicate it from Germany.
It's also unimportant whether he was a Christian or not. What is most important is that the Christian clergy and a nation of Christian people supported him. What is important is that Christianity was not incompatible with Naziism. What is important is that if you are a demagogue, you can't do better than to have a mostly Christian nation to manipulate. What is important is that if you were a Jew in a concentration camp waiting for the tens of millions of church trained Christians in Nazi Germany to stand up and say, "This is wrong! Stop, Herr Hitler!" you were a dead Jew - not what Hitler actually believed.

I for one would feel much safer living among a nation of people like the non-Christians in this thread than in a nation like the Christians here, especially if a demagogue became president. I would trust the unbelievers to be smarter and morally stronger. The unfortunate truth is that to get a Christian to consent to anything, including genocide, all you need to do is convince them that it is their god's will. That's the definition of moral goodness.

Are you familiar with divine command theory? From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_command_t... : "Divine command theory is a meta-ethical theory which proposes that an action's status as morally good is equivalent to whether it is commanded by God. The theory asserts that what is moral is determined by what God commands, and that to be moral is to follow his commands."

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
True spirituality has nothing to do with knowledge; it's an identity with the universe
What do you think of a philosophy that teaches one to divert her attention from this world to another one and from this life to the next one, to think of man as diseased with sin and capable of no good, to see animals as soulless meat bags put on earth to be dominated and exploited, and to think that the world he inhabits is corrupt, evil, getting worse every day, and fit for apocalyptic annihilation any day now?

Is authentic spirituality possible given that world view?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think of a philosophy that teaches one to divert her attention from this world to another one and from this life to the next one, to think of man as diseased with sin and capable of no good, to see animals as soulless meat bags put on earth to be dominated and exploited, and to think that the world he inhabits is corrupt, evil, getting worse every day, and fit for apocalyptic annihilation any day now?
Uh, that is the kind of philosophy that causes one to strive for more and evolve.

The always looking for something better. How you strive to get off Tobacco Road.

You have to look past the immediate for such to occur.

You don't get those things by being a dope smoking intellectual. Lotus eaters make lousy real world intellects.

BTW, since you are atheist you know animals are soulless meat bags. As are men. A major tenet of your "non-religion".

You are less than consistent in your argumentation. Maybe that is because you just like to argue?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

<quoted text>
Why? The evidence contradicts that. Almost every atheist repudiates those people and their values.
Almost every Christian, however, defends the church and its values.
We could use the theist lie,"They aren't 'real' atheists."

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

<quoted text>What do you think of a philosophy that teaches one to divert her attention from this world to another one and from this life to the next one, to think of man as diseased with sin and capable of no good, to see animals as soulless meat bags put on earth to be dominated and exploited, and to think that the world he inhabits is corrupt, evil, getting worse every day, and fit for apocalyptic annihilation any day now?

Doubtful, authentic spirituality requires self realisation, living in a fantasy world would prevent that.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

<quoted text>
Atheism, like marijuana, is responsible for no deaths. God beliefs can lead to murder, but the rejection of them cannot. Atheists that have murdered did not murder because they were atheists.
<quoted text>
Those were all religions with human gods.
Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism and Maoism and religions like Islam and Christianity are cults of personality that require worship and obeisance to a larger-than-life übermensch, human in one case, supernatural in the other.
Besides requiring worship, they all employ terrorism, thought and information control techniques, and a requirement for submission and absolute obedience. Each feature long histories of genocide.
Both the totalitarian regimes you named and religions are characterized by excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to the god or godlike personality, which is required, and whose dicta are treated as truths beyond debate.Members thoughts and behaviors are dictated, and shame, guilt, and threats are employed to control them. Whatever means are deemed necessary to achieve some larger than life goal are justified, leading initiates to do things that they would have considered reprehensible outside of the group. These are the values of Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.
By contrast, most atheists are humanists who value reason, cooperation, freedom, peace, tolerance, negotiation, democracy, peace, egalitarianism, justice, compassion, individuality, autonomy, self-actualization, and political freedom. Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.are antithetical to all of those.
You have no argument against atheism here, just one against absolutist ideologies and cults of personality. In fact, from the Affirmations of Humanism comes, "We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
Bull shit. Totally.

Atheism is not the rejection of god-beliefs. It has it's own god-belief - and many have been willing to kill to advance it.

This solidifies my insistence on understanding what atheism is - it is a belief. Exoneration for mass murder is a pretty good motivation for wanting to dilute the term, huh?

Atheism is the champion of mass murder, and you don't have to go back a thousand years. Atheism sets the all-time record if you only count their bodies piled up over the last 75 years.

You don't get to blame Islam for Bin Laden and let atheism off the hook for Stalin. If one has a cursory familiarity with history, reads the Communist Manifesto, or Mein Kamf, you see atheism - front and center - as a means to an envisioned Utopia where man is freed from the shackles of theism. Stalin stated it himself, plainly. Hitler killed for anti-theism. It was incompatible with his Darwinist motivation concerning race.

Atheists murdered millions because they were atheists. And they murdered for atheism.

The phony attempts at a double standard does not help the cause.

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> More of a factual observation. You are damaged goods.
<quoted text> I am only going by the results and the way things are today. I know about Christianity but the jury is out on whether i am actually Christian in the practicing sort of way It is you who confess the sins of your parents on a public board.[tacky] Why not confess your own sins as opposed to the alleged sins of your parents? My back gets up when my kin is threatened along with the children of other families you openly admit you would like to beat because they are not homosexuals. Oh you are a shining example for the atheists. A real piece of work.
<quoted text> You are hateful and dysfunctional. You need help and that does not necessarily make me feel better. Although i think i better understand you now, assuming you are telling the truth. <quoted text> Just keep rapping on for the clown wing of the atheist movement or whatever it is. Glad your not on my side. You would think ill of me no matter what i posted. You make reckless statements about beating other peoples children because they are not homosexual and you get what you deserve. Glad all atheists are not like you. Here is a song for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Another fundie tantrum. LOLOLMAO!

Too busy judging others, contrary to what Jesus said, to bother reading anything. Or do you like to distort everything deliberately. That's called bearing false witness.

S*cks to be you, fundie.

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2013

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's possible.
I'll second that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

476 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 533,261
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 9 min MUQ1 36,543
Of course Obama is sending illegal aliens here. 11 min wild child 22
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 19 min Mandela 115,458
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 27 min Hidingfromyou 721,880
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min Porkpie Hat 256,835
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 34 min Hidingfromyou 93,805
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 6 hr SimmerExtreme 85
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••